BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
EXXEL Distributions
View Poll Results: 335is e92 m3 or f80 m3
335 is 2 5.41%
E92 m3 34 91.89%
F80 m3 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-23-2020, 12:49 PM   #23
DRLane
Captain
DRLane's Avatar
542
Rep
943
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScytheM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyferg7 View Post
19 year old saved up 10k plan on purchasing a bmw soon been a fan since a small child. I'm a big fan of the e92 but I don't plan on getting the bmw till January/ February 2021 (tax return) so I can continue to save for an f8x(not fan of fart exhaust but f8xs definitely move)
I'm worried about me being young I don't want something that is to much for me to handle I'm a good driver have had expierience with n54 335 dads e36 318is and moms f10 535 and x5 35i(which to me we're fast). I'm worried about reliability, I'm not worried about cost I plan on doing work on either three of the cars as I'm pretty handy, but I don't want something that will have an issue every week. I would like to purchase one of these three under 50k miles 30k would be idea I plan on keeping whatever I get for a long time. I'm not a fan of the upcoming g80 m3 bmw has gotten away from the ultimate driving machine motto so this will prolly be my only bmw and I most likely won't be getting rid of it ever. Looking for some opinions from more experienced bmw owners since I am so young. I'm really excited to become apart of the bimmer community
One thing you need to realize is a lot of people that own this car are older, have money, and drive more than one car. Most of us can work on these cars on the side and still have a car that runs, or can afford to take it to a stealership or Indy shop to maintain it. An M3 is not something you pick up and cruise around campus to up your swag. I mean you could, but anyone with a brain knows that moment you take it in for maintenance or get a 🎄 dash board - they'll see what's up. You sound like you have what it takes to acquire wealth and work towards goals. Work on those attributes and refine them. They will get you much more than any of those 3 cars can ever get you. I learned the hard way when I was 20 in college and had no expenses. I bought the new Camaro SS when it came back in 2010. It didn't bankrupt me, but the money I spent on that car would have really been something I could have used and use today. I don't have that car anymore, the 2010 camaro doesn't have that pop anymore, and what was it even all for? I ended up selling the camaro after 4 years and got a 2006 350Z that was way cheaper to run and I loved that car WAY more than the SS. You live and you learn. I suppose the flip side of the coin is: I still ended up with my PhD, an M3, financial security, and the experience of driving a head turning car when I was young. So, wtf yolo lol, but remember seriously you only live once and it can go either way
With that kind of hedging, must've been a PHD in economics. :
Appreciate 1
akkando3706.00

      08-24-2020, 06:19 PM   #24
PYE46M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
413
Rep
381
Posts

Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

Wait a minute, if you need to wait on tax return to be able to afford a car then why are you looking at F82 M4s?? those are 30-60 grand cars. I am confused. Out of all the options listed here, a 335i is the only one you can realistically buy and none of them are a car you could afford to keep.
__________________
2005 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 6MT Coupe
2013 Interlagos Blue E92 M3 ZCP 6MT CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 07:25 PM   #25
buzzybee
Private
23
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: e92 m3, e92 335i, f82 m4
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: socal

iTrader: (0)

I feel like I'm uniquely situated to give you some insight. I just turned 21 and have owned all three of the cars you are looking at. Except that I have a 335i, not the 335is. I started with the e92 m3 -> added the 335i as a daily -> sold my m3 and went with an m4. So now I currently have both the n54 and the m4 (both also have Pure Turbos ) and am looking into getting another e92 m3, possibly picking one up this wed.

So yes, its quite feasible for a younger person to own these cars and no they won't kill you. However, I want to echo others' concerns regarding your financial situation.

To be frank, you shouldn't even be considering the f80 - it's out of your budget bud. A general rule of thumb I like to go by when purchasing used BMWs is that if I can't afford 1.5x the purchase price, I shouldn't get it. I'm assuming you're not looking for a clapped out f80 and the cheapest of the lower mileage ones will run you around $35k based off the prices I see here in SoCal.

As far as the e92 m3, eh I don't think you should do it either. Unless you're willing to have a couple grand sitting in your bank account waiting for when something comes up. Just think man, you got issues like throttle actuators, evap, fuel breather valve, idle control, valve cover, rod bearings, etc. Rod bearings alone will cost you $2k and that's something that most will tell you to take care of asap since failure is catastrophic for your engine. That's not even including costs like tires which cost significantly more for the m3 than the 335i. There are always unknowns when purchasing a used BMW for which you should save up $$ in preparation but with the M models, the M tax is real.

I personally think you should go for the n54. I would recommend just the normal n54 335i, not even the is. It's the most affordable and it's a really fun car to drive. + its highly tuneable for stupid cheap if that's what you're into. I mean I put $6k in modifications in mine and am pushing 600whp. On the other hand, I spent that much to buy an exhaust for my old e92 m3 that gained me maybe 10hp? lol. I will say though that the n54 is in the least reliable out of the 3 from my personal experience. Nevertheless, n54 335i's can be had for so cheap that you could buy one and replace all the common issues for less than the purchase price of most e92 m3s.

I know this is rlly long and you may not even read it but I'm just trying to help you out bud. We're pretty similar in age and evidently have similar tastes in cars. Don't be in a rush to get a car that's outside your budget.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 04:16 AM   #26
daddyferg7
youngbimmer030124
United_States
3
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: E93 335
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Cincinnati Oh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
I feel like I'm uniquely situated to give you some insight. I just turned 21 and have owned all three of the cars you are looking at. Except that I have a 335i, not the 335is. I started with the e92 m3 -> added the 335i as a daily -> sold my m3 and went with an m4. So now I currently have both the n54 and the m4 (both also have Pure Turbos ) and am looking into getting another e92 m3, possibly picking one up this wed.

So yes, its quite feasible for a younger person to own these cars and no they won't kill you. However, I want to echo others' concerns regarding your financial situation.

To be frank, you shouldn't even be considering the f80 - it's out of your budget bud. A general rule of thumb I like to go by when purchasing used BMWs is that if I can't afford 1.5x the purchase price, I shouldn't get it. I'm assuming you're not looking for a clapped out f80 and the cheapest of the lower mileage ones will run you around $35k based off the prices I see here in SoCal.

As far as the e92 m3, eh I don't think you should do it either. Unless you're willing to have a couple grand sitting in your bank account waiting for when something comes up. Just think man, you got issues like throttle actuators, evap, fuel breather valve, idle control, valve cover, rod bearings, etc. Rod bearings alone will cost you $2k and that's something that most will tell you to take care of asap since failure is catastrophic for your engine. That's not even including costs like tires which cost significantly more for the m3 than the 335i. There are always unknowns when purchasing a used BMW for which you should save up $$ in preparation but with the M models, the M tax is real.

I personally think you should go for the n54. I would recommend just the normal n54 335i, not even the is. It's the most affordable and it's a really fun car to drive. + its highly tuneable for stupid cheap if that's what you're into. I mean I put $6k in modifications in mine and am pushing 600whp. On the other hand, I spent that much to buy an exhaust for my old e92 m3 that gained me maybe 10hp? lol. I will say though that the n54 is in the least reliable out of the 3 from my personal experience. Nevertheless, n54 335i's can be had for so cheap that you could buy one and replace all the common issues for less than the purchase price of most e92 m3s.

I know this is rlly long and you may not even read it but I'm just trying to help you out bud. We're pretty similar in age and evidently have similar tastes in cars. Don't be in a rush to get a car that's outside your budget.
Appreciate the advice man Iíll let u know what I end up doing !
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 10:03 AM   #27
14_deltaM3
Private
62
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: e36m3 euro ó>e92m3
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
I feel like I'm uniquely situated to give you some insight. I just turned 21 and have owned all three of the cars you are looking at. Except that I have a 335i, not the 335is. I started with the e92 m3 -> added the 335i as a daily -> sold my m3 and went with an m4. So now I currently have both the n54 and the m4 (both also have Pure Turbos ) and am looking into getting another e92 m3, possibly picking one up this wed.

So yes, its quite feasible for a younger person to own these cars and no they won't kill you. However, I want to echo others' concerns regarding your financial situation.

To be frank, you shouldn't even be considering the f80 - it's out of your budget bud. A general rule of thumb I like to go by when purchasing used BMWs is that if I can't afford 1.5x the purchase price, I shouldn't get it. I'm assuming you're not looking for a clapped out f80 and the cheapest of the lower mileage ones will run you around $35k based off the prices I see here in SoCal.

As far as the e92 m3, eh I don't think you should do it either. Unless you're willing to have a couple grand sitting in your bank account waiting for when something comes up. Just think man, you got issues like throttle actuators, evap, fuel breather valve, idle control, valve cover, rod bearings, etc. Rod bearings alone will cost you $2k and that's something that most will tell you to take care of asap since failure is catastrophic for your engine. That's not even including costs like tires which cost significantly more for the m3 than the 335i. There are always unknowns when purchasing a used BMW for which you should save up $$ in preparation but with the M models, the M tax is real.

I personally think you should go for the n54. I would recommend just the normal n54 335i, not even the is. It's the most affordable and it's a really fun car to drive. + its highly tuneable for stupid cheap if that's what you're into. I mean I put $6k in modifications in mine and am pushing 600whp. On the other hand, I spent that much to buy an exhaust for my old e92 m3 that gained me maybe 10hp? lol. I will say though that the n54 is in the least reliable out of the 3 from my personal experience. Nevertheless, n54 335i's can be had for so cheap that you could buy one and replace all the common issues for less than the purchase price of most e92 m3s.

I know this is rlly long and you may not even read it but I'm just trying to help you out bud. We're pretty similar in age and evidently have similar tastes in cars. Don't be in a rush to get a car that's outside your budget.
Lots of good insights here!

How was the m4 been overall as an ownership experience? Iím reluctantly thinking of trading my daily w92 M3 for one solely to get into a much newer car that offers a manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 03:22 PM   #28
buzzybee
Private
23
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: e92 m3, e92 335i, f82 m4
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: socal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14_deltaM3 View Post
Lots of good insights here!

How was the m4 been overall as an ownership experience? Iím reluctantly thinking of trading my daily w92 M3 for one solely to get into a much newer car that offers a manual.
I think it depends what you're looking for. If you're looking solely for a newer daily then the m4 will be absolutely perfect for you. Huge advantage is that the m4 gets better gas mileage (I'm averaging 22mpg on Pure Turbos driving it hard). It's also newer so it feels much more modern and high-tech than the e92. EDC on the m4 works fine and comfort is indeed comfortable. Also, the m4 is much much faster than the e9x m3. The turbos give it a lot of low-end torque which makes it better suited as the daily.
Where you may find yourself disappointed is in the driving experience. It certainly lacks steering feel and it feels quite numb in my personal experience.
Overall though, its a great car that is objectively better than the e92 m3 in almost every aspect. Im sure you'll enjoy yours. However, just know that I picked up another e92 m3 last week and haven't even looked at my f82 since lol.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark1083.50

      09-06-2020, 12:48 PM   #29
OG Shark
duunnn dunnn...
OG Shark's Avatar
1084
Rep
1,123
Posts

Drives: Angry
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
I think it depends what you're looking for. If you're looking solely for a newer daily then the m4 will be absolutely perfect for you. Huge advantage is that the m4 gets better gas mileage (I'm averaging 22mpg on Pure Turbos driving it hard). It's also newer so it feels much more modern and high-tech than the e92. EDC on the m4 works fine and comfort is indeed comfortable. Also, the m4 is much much faster than the e9x m3. The turbos give it a lot of low-end torque which makes it better suited as the daily.
Where you may find yourself disappointed is in the driving experience. It certainly lacks steering feel and it feels quite numb in my personal experience.
Overall though, its a great car that is objectively better than the e92 m3 in almost every aspect. Im sure you'll enjoy yours. However, just know that I picked up another e92 m3 last week and haven't even looked at my f82 since lol.
The F8x is objectively a better car - but the E9x is subjectively the better overall driving experience. Actually that is not even subjective - it is a fact - and anyone who disagrees is wrong Funny how many of us keep going back the E9x platform.
Appreciate 1
kyrix1st1132.00

Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
335is, e92, f8x

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST