BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-02-2020, 11:20 PM   #1
malem
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, X5 50i, F430, 911 RS

Weld in Rollcage Options?? Lets talk cages.

So I am currently in the process of building a complete track build E92 M3! The car is being pulled apart and being stripped as we speak. I'm trying to plan for a weld in roll cage and in doing so I am looking to compare options really just see what kind of kits are out on the market.

However, searching for weld-in kits is harder than it looks. Everything I can find is a bolt in rollbar of some sort. Almost all of the dedicated track build threads are completely custom work.

Does anyone know of any weld-in cage kits that are NHRA/IHRA/SCCA/NASA/etc approved.

I found a thread on another forum that had a great looking cage - but once again looks to be custom. Not something we can buy. allegedly modeled after a M3 GTR.

Anyways if you have any suggestions or know of any weld-in kits post below!

Appreciate 1
roastbeef11586.00
      09-02-2020, 11:38 PM   #2
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

There aren't many/any 'good' kits available - hence why everyone does their own custom cage. I've seen some online, but many wouldn't meet typical NASA/SCCA regs.

https://en.oreca-store.com/sassa-mul...-or-later.html

The one linked above is one of the few that would meet popular regs, assuming tubing size and thickness is appropriate.

Few years back when I was researching cages I found some places out in the UK that would/have designed E92 cages and would send you all the pieces ready to weld in. No idea the name of the company anymore but I'm sure you could find it with some research. The thing is options like this are often not cheaper, and sometimes even more expensive, then just getting a good shop in your area to do it for you.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 08:12 AM   #3
M_Chronos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Speaking to the car's eligibility if you were to go racing at some point, the cage in that picture would put you in the top mod classes. Unless you are very proficient at TIG welding you'd need a good shop to do the work so at that point why would you not have them put in a custom cage?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 08:45 AM   #4
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

OG Shark might have some experience to share.
OG Shark4692.50
      09-03-2020, 10:06 AM   #5
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Awesome & congrats on going the full track build route malem ! This platform is just pure joy in full track trim. Some of the most fun you can have with a fire suit on.

Like tsk94 said & you have found there is not much out there right now for prefab options on a full cage. Custom in house has been the way to go. If you can't find a local shop that can handle it there are certainly multiple shops across the country that can do it. And it is more than worth it to work with a shop that is capable of doing it properly - hitting shit at high speed really, really sucks. But it sucks less with a good cage.

That being said there is a good possibility of a prefab solution being available soon Still need a good welder to put it together though.
Appreciate 2
Kelse921131.50
b4hand661.00
      08-18-2021, 09:56 AM   #6
Besalynus
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M325

Indeed, searching for weld-in kits is very hard. Though to find qualitative equipment. When I was in such a situation, I thought it was impossible to find the gear I needed. It is a real problem. I searched for a whole month for what I needed. In the end, I found a team that gave me the information required to find the equipment that assisted with that goal. And by the way, the prices are not very high, and things are very high quality. You can find more info on their website. I hope you will find what you search.

Last edited by Besalynus; 08-26-2021 at 07:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 12:49 PM   #7
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

Find a shop and work w them. I sent my car back to CA to complete the roll cage cause I didn't trust any of the local shops in TX to do the same quality job. It's a bit painful but worth the peace of mind.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 0