BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-06-2008, 11:13 PM   #89
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SSII e90

To be clear, I meant, if anyone who lives in San Diego (i.e., not in mid. cal.) has the same sound, I'd love to meet up and compare.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 09:01 PM   #90
IWearScrubs
Doctor Awesome!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Sedan 6MT Jerez and Fox Red

I should add my 2 cents here as well, I also believe I am hearing the sound at about 2500 miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #91
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun View Post
I have a sinking feeling this may turn out to be simliar.
Let's not get crazy here. I would at least wait till an engine blows before we start thinking there are major problems. They took one engine and his new one makes the same sound. That makes me think it is normal or nothing to worry about. There are tons of things that can cause a random tick sound.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 10:10 PM   #92
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Yeh, its probably a combination of the exhaust and the cats. He said that the sound did not change when he rev'd the engine which is why the dealers are not too concerned.

I have listen to mine and I swear if you listen long enough you can hear anything your mind tells you is there.

Just throw a couple of nuts from a bolt down someone's exhaust, that will confuse the dealer.

It's like the chap that tied a nut to piece of fishing line and tied it off inside a rear panel of a new Jag, took them years to find the noise, now that's nasty.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 10:18 PM   #93
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

It was an intermitent ticking noise that varied each time I revved the car between 1 and 2K. Now I notice the ticking gets louder at 3K. This did not make any sound before the 1200 mile service. So if it is just a cat/exhuast issue, it should have occurred all along. And the shop foreman immediately came to the conclusion that the sound was not normal. It makes no sense for the exhuast to be clicking as it is heating up. It usually clicks when it is cooling down. Ad it does it every time you rev the engine. Your maybe different.

Last edited by knifegun; 10-19-2008 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #94
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
Yeh, its probably a combination of the exhaust and the cats. He said that the sound did not change when he rev'd the engine which is why the dealers are not too concerned.

I have listen to mine and I swear if you listen long enough you can hear anything your mind tells you is there.
OK, there is some truth to that. However, the sound is identifiable and occurs in a very well-defined situation. And, for the record, mine does speed up with increased engine load. There are multiple you-tube video's of this noise that you can hear for yourself (text of links at bottom). Honestly, I don't think any of the folks here are imagining things; I also had my foreman listen to the noise and, like KnifeGun's experience, he said it didn't sound normal.

Bills742 record of the sound on my original thread page 1:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151600

My video:

Another video:
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #95
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbarg View Post
OK, there is some truth to that. However, the sound is identifiable and occurs in a very well-defined situation. And, for the record, mine does speed up with increased engine load. There are multiple you-tube video's of this noise that you can hear for yourself (text of links at bottom). Honestly, I don't think any of the folks here are imagining things; I also had my foreman listen to the noise and, like KnifeGun's experience, he said it didn't sound normal.

Bills742 record of the sound on my original thread page 1:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151600

My video:

Another video:
I just dropped off my car and again the foreman listened to the noise and heard it. The BMW of NA rep is in town so hopefully I will get more information later on today. Steven's Creek has been hearing more instances of this noise. They believe it only occurs on manual transmission cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 09:39 AM   #96
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep

For those of you with the ticking sound experience between 1 and 2K, take your car to the dealership to make sure it is documented. They are starting to see this issue and are trying to figure out what it is. Make sure you follow your break in procedures. If you don't know what the ticking sound sounds like, just look for snows video.

BTW, this appears to be only an issue on 6 speeds. If you have this ticking sound and have M-DCT, let me know.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #97
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
For those of you with the ticking sound experience between 1 and 2K, take your car to the dealership to make sure it is documented. They are starting to see this issue and are trying to figure out what it is. Make sure you follow your break in procedures. If you don't know what the ticking sound sounds like, just look for snows video.

BTW, this appears to be only an issue on 6 speeds. If you have this ticking sound and have M-DCT, let me know.
So is "they" BMW engineering?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #98
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Kinda strange how it has something to do with the transmission.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #99
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
Kinda strange how it has something to do with the transmission.
could be build dates, since DCT followed MT introduction.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 01:08 PM   #100
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbarg View Post
So is "they" BMW engineering?
"They" is BMW but really the response from the BMW of NA rep responsible for looking at issues that do not they do not have a known cause for.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 01:40 PM   #101
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
"They" is BMW but really the response from the BMW of NA rep responsible for looking at issues that do not they do not have a known cause for.
OK, great to know that it is at least recognized. And, thanks again for keeping the rest of us up to date.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #102
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep

More to come....Later. Not a teaser...I just will have more information later. If any of you have high quality recordings of the noise, please send PM if you are willing to give it to me. I am going to record the car myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #103
lilcow
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

Fellas. Any resolution on the ticking noise. Unsure if this issue was resolved-a few free M3s later. Apologize if this is a dead issue and if this is a little long.

Reason I am asking is that a few days ago I went in for some basic warranty repair- rubber molding above the bothe door frames (e92) was warping and coming loose, possibly due to changing temperatures or who knows. As I was pulling into the service bay, "my tick appeared" and it was quite loud. Previous to pulling into the service bay, I had been driving on the highway for approximately 3 hours- and of course, had a great time driving all 3 hours.

Fortunately (unfortunately), the shop foreman also heard the noise along with 3 other techs and they all gravitated towards my vehicle and piled on. I thought this was very opportune considering the week prior, during my DCT update, I had mentioned this strange ticking sound to my SA- of course he gave me "the look" and of course the sound cound not be duplicated and nothing was done (SAs don't seem to know crap about cars or even care, they seem more like scheduled/unscheduled maintenance secretaries). Oddly enough, I tried to explain to the shop foreman and his crew that this sound seemed "normal." The shop foreman said that is was not normal in any way. He explained that he had heard similar sounds from M cars but nothing quite as loud as what he heard with my car. He also claimed that 5 employees/techs owned M cars at his dealership. Once again, without claiming I was a proud member of the M3post site, I told him I thought this sound was normal. He actually insisted I leave the car with him. This was on Friday 5 DEC. The car had 3100 miles- and compared to a few thousand miles ago on the odometer, the ticking sound has been getting louder.

Currently the car is still in the shop. I don't think anything has been done to it- the latest thing I heard was that my dealership was going to contact the BMW bubbas in Jersey. I am also hearing that the car may be in for a week, maybe more. Funny thing is, for this impromptu service/maintenance stop I was given a loaner car- my very own 2009 328i (nice tail lights). Nice car, but definitely not an M3.

My question: has this issue been resolved- I'd like to take my car back and not have a bunch of folks trying to "figure" something out. I definitely have no issues driving this car until the engine blows- of course within the 4 year warranty period. Also, is this related to the ticking noise resulting from hard turns to the right?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #104
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep

I have yet to hear a resolution to this issue or an explanation as to what it is and whether it matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcow View Post
Fellas. Any resolution on the ticking noise. Unsure if this issue was resolved-a few free M3s later. Apologize if this is a dead issue and if this is a little long.

Reason I am asking is that a few days ago I went in for some basic warranty repair- rubber molding above the bothe door frames (e92) was warping and coming loose, possibly due to changing temperatures or who knows. As I was pulling into the service bay, "my tick appeared" and it was quite loud. Previous to pulling into the service bay, I had been driving on the highway for approximately 3 hours- and of course, had a great time driving all 3 hours.

Fortunately (unfortunately), the shop foreman also heard the noise along with 3 other techs and they all gravitated towards my vehicle and piled on. I thought this was very opportune considering the week prior, during my DCT update, I had mentioned this strange ticking sound to my SA- of course he gave me "the look" and of course the sound cound not be duplicated and nothing was done (SAs don't seem to know crap about cars or even care, they seem more like scheduled/unscheduled maintenance secretaries). Oddly enough, I tried to explain to the shop foreman and his crew that this sound seemed "normal." The shop foreman said that is was not normal in any way. He explained that he had heard similar sounds from M cars but nothing quite as loud as what he heard with my car. He also claimed that 5 employees/techs owned M cars at his dealership. Once again, without claiming I was a proud member of the M3post site, I told him I thought this sound was normal. He actually insisted I leave the car with him. This was on Friday 5 DEC. The car had 3100 miles- and compared to a few thousand miles ago on the odometer, the ticking sound has been getting louder.

Currently the car is still in the shop. I don't think anything has been done to it- the latest thing I heard was that my dealership was going to contact the BMW bubbas in Jersey. I am also hearing that the car may be in for a week, maybe more. Funny thing is, for this impromptu service/maintenance stop I was given a loaner car- my very own 2009 328i (nice tail lights). Nice car, but definitely not an M3.

My question: has this issue been resolved- I'd like to take my car back and not have a bunch of folks trying to "figure" something out. I definitely have no issues driving this car until the engine blows- of course within the 4 year warranty period. Also, is this related to the ticking noise resulting from hard turns to the right?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 10:24 PM   #105
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I think if you ask you will get a new car, and you won't need to invoke the lemon law to get it.

I had a 545 replaced with a 550 because of a bad active steering system. I brought it in to service and said the car was acting strangely. They gave me the car back after two days and told me to see if it felt any better. After about a week I returned and said I felt the car still had issues, and they kept the car and gave me a loaner.

3 days later I received a call and was told my car was being replaced. BMW stands behind their products and will go the extra mile to keep a customer happy. If you want me to tell you exactly how it worked, private message me.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 10:58 PM   #106
lilcow
Rep

Quote:
I have yet to hear a resolution to this issue or an explanation as to what it is and whether it matters.
I'll keep you guys posted. Honestly, I don't think I will get a straight answer for a while considering this issue has been ongoing since the original post from Snow. I've been to my dealership twice in the last two weeks- next weekend will be three times. Coffee/expresso machine is getting old. Would be a different story if they had free sandwiches or teenie weenies.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 11:06 PM   #107
lilcow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
I think if you ask you will get a new car, and you won't need to invoke the lemon law to get it.

I had a 545 replaced with a 550 because of a bad active steering system. I brought it in to service and said the car was acting strangely. They gave me the car back after two days and told me to see if it felt any better. After about a week I returned and said I felt the car still had issues, and they kept the car and gave me a loaner.

3 days later I received a call and was told my car was being replaced. BMW stands behind their products and will go the extra mile to keep a customer happy. If you want me to tell you exactly how it worked, private message me.
I'm not sure if I am going to pull the trigger on the new car request just yet. That being said, I am interested in the process if this turns out to be an issue that justifies a vehicle swap. I will gladly PM you to receive any insight- once I figure out how to PM someone. Appreciate the offer to assist. I think this thread is still alive. Anyone else have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 11:43 PM   #108
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I hope this doesn't turn into an S54 type issue where BMW denies, denies and denied until people started posting vids on uTube with a big HOLE in the engine!!!
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 08:11 AM   #109
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep

Are you in the Bay Area? If so, you can PM me the dealership if you want. I had some experience dealing with the issue even though it has yet to be resolved as to what the issue is.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 07:34 PM   #110
lilcow
Rep

Quote:
Are you in the Bay Area? If so, you can PM me the dealership if you want. I had some experience dealing with the issue even though it has yet to be resolved as to what the issue is.
knifegun, nope unfortunately not in the Bay Area. I phoned the dealership- they gave me an unofficial response through a SA who was speaking on behalf of the shop foreman who had today off. I look forward to speaking with him tomorrow. It apprears they are working the issue. I will PM you the dealership.
Appreciate 0