BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
JusCruzin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT M3

Driver modification

Rather than pour money into modding my car, I first want to spend some time and money modifying myself as a driver. I like the idea of finding a good performance driving instructor here in southern California and taking regular individual lessons. That seems like a better idea than taking group classes or going to a 3-day school somewhere. Yes, BMW CCA has occasional events, but I'm really looking for something more regular. I think regular, individualized feedback is essential to improving.

Any thoughts or recommendations on this, especially if you can recommend an instructor in the LA area?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Sounds like a great idea! Good luck and have fun, I know you will
      07-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

I know of a few in California. Its about $3K for one day though. I think the private coach is a waste until you have extracted everything you can from a school like BMW CCA's DE program. And there is at least one school every month in california. Not enough for you?
      07-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

you can get a coach and try to get the scca competition license
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

Unless you just have money to burn, a private coach is usually not worth it until you've got a fair amount of track experience. Group instruction is the best bang for the buck, unless you're super-paranoid about some other student wrecking into you, but most DE's put an instructor in every car with every student until they're driving pretty well.
When you get more experience, open track days with minimal instruction will get you more track time, since at some point you just need to try different things and see how they work out. A video camera with a good, safe mount can really help when you're running solo since you can review it later with an instructor.
      07-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Just go to track and learn how to drive
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
m3keash
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93, JB/Bamboo, Adv.1 8.3 20s

I was expecting weight loss recommendations.
      07-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

I's start with either a half day or one day school at Jim Hall karting in Ventura. You go over some basic car control techniques, e.g. braking, turn in, accelration, proper line through a corner. It sounds elementary, but as we all know, in practice, these are all much harder than they seem.

Follow this up with as much track time as possible. Do a track session once a month or more. Invest in a second set of rotors and get some good track pads (e.g. carbotechs), and proper brake fluid and enjoy yourself until your tires are done. Buy new tires and repeat!

Then follow it up with another visit to Jim Hall for more advanced classes, or if you wish to spend more, go to Bondurant for the 4-day grand prix road racing school. I'm no pro, but what I learned in this school has been huge not just for thr track, but daily driving (think safety).

Lastly, if you frequent enough track days, you can sign up to have an instructor for the day, but it's often that you'll find someone who is more experienced and is willing to give you pointers. Ask for a ride with them when they go out to see how they're setting up and taking the corners, and likewise invite them to ride shotgun with you.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
JusCruzin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT M3

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Sounds like group classes are the way to go for now. I was thinking individual instruction would be better, but I'll save that for later.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #10
SlamMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ED 5/19/2010, Interlagos E90

If you're going to be doing a lot of track days you'll probably want to consider track brake pads and maybe camber plates. The stock pads won't hold up and bringing your camber in won't wear out the shoulder of the tire right away.

Group classes should be the best way to start.
      07-02-2011, 11:43 PM   #11
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusCruzin View Post
Rather than pour money into modding my car, I first want to spend some time and money modifying myself as a driver. I like the idea of finding a good performance driving instructor here in southern California and taking regular individual lessons. That seems like a better idea than taking group classes or going to a 3-day school somewhere. Yes, BMW CCA has occasional events, but I'm really looking for something more regular. I think regular, individualized feedback is essential to improving.

Any thoughts or recommendations on this, especially if you can recommend an instructor in the LA area?
Smartest post on a car forum thread lol...congrats... great to start off righ boss.

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #12
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:

If you just "Go to the track and learn how to drive" without proper instruction there is a good chance that you will continue a number of bad habits you already have and they will be come more ingrained and harder to break.

Personal instructors are a great way to go but can get expensive. You may want to start by attending a racing school. I have had personal instuctors but frankly I don't think I would have gotten as much out of the sessions if I had not previously taken several Skip Barber courses.

I highly recommend the Skip Barber School. I have taken the 3 day racing school, the 2 day advanced and many car control clinics and lapping days. The car control clinics are very valuable because you actually are encouraged to push the car past the limits. The idea being that the only way you are going to learn what it feels like to approach the limits. This is done in a controlled environment where you will not damage the car in your off track excurions and better yet "not your car - not your tires". The instructors are top notch. Many of them have had podium finishes and won championships in various series(SCCA, Rolex Daytona Series, erc.) but more importantly they are professional instructors. The majority of the students are enthusiasts like yourself who want to increase their driving skills but a number of top pros, incuding Jaun Pablo Montoya, Danica Partick, A.J. Almendinger, and Marco Andretti, have come through the program.

There will be a certain amount of classroom instruction to explain the theories and physics behind the tecniques you will be taught and there will excercises to teach heel and toe downshifting, threshold braking, trail braking, etc. I don't know if they have programs near you (Laguna Seca many be the closest) but I have heard good things about the Bondurant School which is west coast based.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 07-03-2011 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #13
m3keash
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93, JB/Bamboo, Adv.1 8.3 20s

The guys at the performance driving center made a lot of sense when they said doing group instruction there costs no more than tracking your own car. When you consider the wear and tear that you would be putting on your car plus the cost of the track the instruction basically comes for free.
      07-05-2011, 02:12 AM   #14
Titanium Silver
Four Star General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

+1 on this mod. Love it! Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 02:20 AM   #15
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

just to be clear, you do get in-car one-on-one instruction in BMW CCA DE's. Most of the instructors race in the club and are very good communicators.

Its a great bargain. The only tradeoff is you only get 4 20-30 minute sessions per day and in a large group of cars sometimes its hard to have clear track to work on the ideal line.

After many many schools and you want to try racing, then its time to hire a private coach and also have a track to yourself or a very small group.
      07-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #16
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
If you just "Go to the track and learn how to drive" without proper instruction there is a good chance that you will continue a number of bad habits you already have and they will be come more ingrained and harder to break.

Personal instructors are a great way to go but can get expensive. You may want to start by attending a racing school. I have had personal instuctors but frankly I don't think I would have gotten as much out of the sessions if I had not previously taken several Skip Barber courses.

I highly recommend the Skip Barber School. I have taken the 3 day racing school, the 2 day advanced and many car control clinics and lapping days. The car control clinics are very valuable because you actually are encouraged to push the car past the limits. The idea being that the only way you are going to learn what it feels like to approach the limits. This is done in a controlled environment where you will not damage the car in your off track excurions and better yet "not your car - not your tires". The instructors are top notch. Many of them have had podium finishes and won championships in various series(SCCA, Rolex Daytona Series, erc.) but more importantly they are professional instructors. The majority of the students are enthusiasts like yourself who want to increase their driving skills but a number of top pros, incuding Jaun Pablo Montoya, Danica Partick, A.J. Almendinger, and Marco Andretti, have come through the program.

There will be a certain amount of classroom instruction to explain the theories and physics behind the tecniques you will be taught and there will excercises to teach heel and toe downshifting, threshold braking, trail braking, etc. I don't know if they have programs near you (Laguna Seca many be the closest) but I have heard good things about the Bondurant School which is west coast based.

CA
Great recommendation!

I've heard nothing but excellent reviews about Skip Barber School.
It's more expensive than BMWCCA, but well worth your money if you want to learn from & be instructed by the pro's.

I think your very first track experience should be with BMWCCA where you learn the very basics first. It's the best bang for the buck. Then, your 2nd track experience should be with Skip Barber.

You'll drive their car, so you wont damage yours. Thats a plus.
& You'll be pushed very hard.
My buddy went to this school & it's transformed him.
I'm sure you'll be completely satisfied with this school.

Frozen Grey. Dry CF Roof. Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Boot Lid. OSS. BMW Performance Aero Kit. BMW Performance CF Diffuser Cover. BMW Performance CF Trim. Robson Design Steering Wheel. Advan RS. Michelin PSS. H&R Touring Cup Kit. BMW Performance Brakes. Eisenmann Race Rear Muffler. ESS Directflash
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #17
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

BMW CCA until you advance a little. I taught the intermediate classroom this past weekend. In addition to having an instructor in the car at all times (or until they feel safe in signing you off for solo), you'll get some pretty interesting classroom topics. I taught 5 classroom sessions on Saturday and 4 on Sunday. In addition, I took a couple of students for rides to help them see what they could do in a certain section of the track (exit of the bus stop, to be specific). Riding with an instructor to look at specific lines through turns that you are having problems with always helped me as a student. Take advantage of this, especially if you are a visual learner.

For individual coaching, Judy Ray at Driving Concepts can offer you some of that. She used to race Porsches and has put on many race licensing schools too. Great person with a ton of knowledge. She routinely runs events so you can work with her or one of her instructors.

The seat to steering wheel interface is the area for the most improvement on most cars. Good job recognizing that!

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #18
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
just to be clear, you do get in-car one-on-one instruction in BMW CCA DE's. Most of the instructors race in the club and are very good communicators.

Its a great bargain. The only tradeoff is you only get 4 20-30 minute sessions per day and in a large group of cars sometimes its hard to have clear track to work on the ideal line.

After many many schools and you want to try racing, then its time to hire a private coach and also have a track to yourself or a very small group.
There is a huge advantage to not having a lot of cars on the track with you. That is an invaluable experience if you are working on your lines, brake points, etc.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 07-05-2011 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #19
AM150
3rd wait as she's in storage for the winter
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:

Check out hooked on driving, they have a number of regional groups. The one here in the midwest is very good, the instruction is helpful for both beginners and more advanced people, and there is an emphasis on safety and fun.
      07-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #20
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

I wouldn't limit yourself to BMW CCA. There are many organizations that run track weekends that will provide you with an instructor. I have done all of my time with NASA doing DEs, and the instruction I got from SpecE30 racers at the majority of events was great.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0