BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-14-2015, 12:18 PM   #67
M5280RCR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT + some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. George View Post
Came from an E46 M3. Gas mileage was not bad. Got this 2011 E9x last week. Runs like a bat out of hell. No matter how I drive it, it gets 14 mpg. I'm gonna have to get used to this gas mileage. Everyone get the same or worse?

I added a super charger and my mpg increased from an average of 16 to 19 mpg; 20% improvement. I'm not a techy so can't explain why, but strongly suggest you consider installing an ESS 625!

PS. When gas was close to $5 per gallon I calculated the sc'er would pay for itself in 9 years,
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 12:57 PM   #68
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5280RCR View Post

I added a super charger and my mpg increased from an average of 16 to 19 mpg; 20% improvement. I'm not a techy so can't explain why, but strongly suggest you consider installing an ESS 625!

PS. When gas was close to $5 per gallon I calculated the sc'er would pay for itself in 9 years,
Isn't the electronics wrong when calculating mpg for an engine that is no longer stock with a SC ? I could be wrong but read this before.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 01:06 PM   #69
M5280RCR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT + some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8FunNaturally View Post
Isn't the electronics wrong when calculating mpg for an engine that is no longer stock with a SC ? I could be wrong but read this before.
Not sure I understand the question, but I don't use the obc to calculate mpg, but rather the old fashion way dividing number of miles on trip odometer by number of gallons to fill up (the obc overcalculates quite a bit, 5% plus or minus)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #70
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Not sure I understand the question, but I don't use the obc to calculate mpg, but rather the old fashion way dividing number of miles on trip odometer by number of gallons to fill up (the obc overcalculates quite a bit, 5% plus or minus)
Better do guys because the M3 OBC calculater is proven to be wrong by a good number of MPG. The non M cars OBC do make the calculations fairly spot on (how hard can it be), so this bit is less than good by BMW.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 01:55 PM   #71
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Better do guys because the M3 OBC calculater is proven to be wrong by a good number of MPG. The non M cars OBC do make the calculations fairly spot on (how hard can it be), so this bit is less than good by BMW.

Cheers
Not an accident.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 02:14 PM   #72
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Quote:
interesting. It's in line with the better mpg i observe with power mode on the stock engine. Frictions losses seem to play a significant role in the s65. More torque over a shorter time (SC case) seems to incur less Energy losses to friction over that acceleration than using less torque over a longer time (stock case) to reach same final speed . That's odd as the former case should result in similar (at best or worse) friction losses but not better !

Except... if the the friction force evolves over the time spend under acceleration due to a reduction of the oil film thickness in some engine surfaces (rod bearings ?). If that's the case it could explain the better mpg with shorter stronger accelerations.

There is a dry sump conversion available for the s65, i think that might be the best engine mod for the s65. The wet sump is something of a let down for a high rev engine.

I also wonder if bhp can reflect how much frictions (due to RB) a particular engine has.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #73
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSoCal View Post
Are you in normal mode or power mode? Wondering if that even makes a difference in mileage.
It just changes throttle response. You can turn on "power" and lighten up on the pedal pushing and still achieve "optimal" mileage.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 02:28 PM   #74
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirsm3 View Post
It just changes throttle response. You can turn on "power" and lighten up on the pedal pushing and still achieve "optimal" mileage.
true but it changes the response in a non linear fashion. Steeper initially and rolling off after. It's not a linear multiplication especially in the first few inches of the pedal.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 02:36 PM   #75
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8FunNaturally View Post
true but it changes the response in a non linear fashion. Steeper initially and rolling off after. It's not a linear multiplication especially in the first few inches of the pedal.
But technically, it shouldn't alter fuel economy, though, since nothing is being altered with the timing, etc etc.

For instance, pressing the button then setting my cruise control to 75mph should do nothing to negatively impact my mileage.

If the person I quoted meant something different and it went over my head, I apologize

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 04:22 PM   #76
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirsm3 View Post
But technically, it shouldn't alter fuel economy, though, since nothing is being altered with the timing, etc etc.

For instance, pressing the button then setting my cruise control to 75mph should do nothing to negatively impact my mileage.

If the person I quoted meant something different and it went over my head, I apologize
All you said is correct but I am talking about something different. How mpg is impacted in dynamic driving (bouts of accelerations) reaching the same speed but using different torque to get to that speed. Obviously in constant speed with cruise control on flat terrain the throttle butterflies opening is going to be the same with power mode on or off. What i am getting to is how friction losses change if driving with a slighlty more aggressive style (which power mode indirectly promotes and SC even more). Using more couple shortens the time during which the car is under acceleration until it reaches the wanted speed (say 60 mph). That seems to reduce loss to friction in a car where oil film is getting brushed away if the car is under prolonged acceleration even if that acceleration is less.
I'm wondering if the engine gets enough oil. Two things might play a negative role : wet sump oil pump, and of course RB clearance..

Last edited by V8FunNaturally; 02-14-2015 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0