BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-01-2019, 07:02 AM   #23
happydude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 / F15 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd501 View Post
My understanding is if the starter was out, there would be no "click"? Could be wrong.
My starter on my 09 m3 failed last year. I kept hearing a clicking. And towards the end would take up to 10 attempts to start the car until it completely failed and I had to tow it home. It was the gear pushing out to engage the flywheel. But it was unable to turn it. I replaced the starter and car has been fixed. I took the old starter to advanced auto parts and they tested it and it worked. But he said to take the test with a grain of salt for the starter since it was tested in perfect conditions with no load on the gear. I assumed the motor in the starter was too weak to turn the flywheel. This was my issue. But I was also getting a code indicating the starter was malfunctioning. I had to wait a month for a new starter to come from Germany as it was backordered at the time. And the starter had complete failure 2 days after the part arrived as I was waiting until the weekend to perform the repair but didn’t make it to the weekend. I also replaced my battery first.
Appreciate 0