BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-05-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
MTurhee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Dealer might have lied?

I just purchased a 08 m3 with very low miles for what I think is a good price. I asked the dealer more than once if the car has had any body work or been in an accident of any sort and they said no. The car looked fine, all body pieces seem to line up well however I just noticed a little bit of paint overspray on the top half of one of the exhaust tips and a little bit on the tip next to it while washing my car, none on the other 2 tips though. I also purchased IND painted reflectors because board members say the paint matches well but I found it to be a little bit darker. Can a body shop tell if a car has been in an accident or if any body part has been repainted? And if so, was the dealer legally responsible to tell me about this?

Last edited by MTurhee; 08-05-2009 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 06:27 AM   #2
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M

The dealer has no obligation to disclose if minor body work has been done.

Buyer Beware.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
MTurhee
Enlisted Member
Rep

I don't care that much if a small area has been repainted due to minor damage, I'm just worried the car had more serious body damage that I'm unaware of. I wish insurance would report these things to carfax.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 06:40 AM   #4
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineweissM3 View Post

Buyer Beware.
Who told you that?

I asked my dealer if my car incurred any damge in treansit and my dealer told me that if my car had any damage they had to disclose that by law.

All in the state of Maryland...
      08-05-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

OK, here's another Maryland data-point. I bought a year-old, 7K mi. car (RS4) from Carmax in Laurel, MD, since they were hard to find at the time, and it was a reasonable deal. I obviously asked for the Carfax, and for a disclosure of any previous damage, both of which indicated no previous damage, and one previous owner.

When I got the car under good shop lights, there was also light over-spray, around areas where the bumper had been re-shot. It was minor, and I elected to keep it because it was a good paint job, and it was easily corrected with a light wet-sand. It depends upon where the damage occurred and how well it was repaired.

Used cars are different than new with regard to disclosure requirements, but it does depend upon the laws of a particular state.
      08-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Waterfall Vert

Quote:

Buyer Beware.
The dealer must disclose any work that has been done to the car, any damage must be reported to the potential buyer
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
MTurhee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Can a body shop tell if a body panel has been repainted?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
artifice
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Have you taken your car to a bmw dealer for them to read the key? I took mine in and he said there was a touch up done from factory on the front of my car.

Just look under the car and see if anything doesn't line up or if you can see bends in the sub frame. Might have just touched up the rear from scrapes from golf bags or something.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTurhee View Post
Can a body shop tell if a body panel has been repainted?
yes. they can measure the thickness of the paint and clear coat to tell whether it differs from the coat that came at the factory.
      08-05-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
Mookster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 ZR1 & 2020 Supra GR LE

Sometimes, dealers just dont know. The best thing you guys can do is buy a paint meter and measure it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #11
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:

Buyer Beware.
If he asks they have to disclose.
That's what the buyer beware bit is. Buyer asks they have to tell. Buyer doesn't ask and it's different.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

imho, no matter who you buy a used car from or what the car looks like or what the PO tells you, you should always do a complete ppi and paint meter check.

CarFax is relatively meaningless.

Caveat emptor on anything you buy. Dealer or no dealer. CPO or no CPO. Cars or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
warzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

There is a paint meter, a hand-held device that will read the 'thickness' of the paint on the car. Dealers usually have this themselves, when they check a car in for trade evaluation. When using the paint meter, you want to make sure the reading is consistent on all body panels of the car; if a car was re-painted, the level will be higher on that re-painted panel then the original painted panels. Unfortunately it does not work on rubber/poly panels like what most cars have for bumpers these days.

To answer your other question, a paint body shop will know immediately if something is re-painted on the car. They are good at just looking at the panels.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #14
mike3141
Rep
Drives: '06 M3, '06 A3

If I'm not mistaken, they can perform paint repairs required due to transit damage at the port of entry.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #15
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3141 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, they can perform paint repairs required due to transit damage at the port of entry.
In Maryland the dealer must tell you.
      08-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #16
MTurhee
Enlisted Member
Rep

After some close inspection, there are some panels where it looks like pieces of dust or something simliar sized was painted over or there were some small chunks in the paint. Additionally I found that the door is rubbing against the fender on both the passenger and driver sides. Is this normal? I've attached 2 photos of this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #17
zuggerat89
Still waiting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: OGV

Yeah that doesnt look right, i would definitely get that checked out.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 03:47 PM   #18
GS997S
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 997S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookster View Post
Sometimes, dealers just dont know. The best thing you guys can do is buy a paint meter and measure it yourself.
That is correct. The OP said the car was an 08 with low miles, so he must have bought it used. If the original owner had body work or paint work done, the selling dealer might not know about it. In North Carolina, the owner only has to disclose body repair work that exceeds a certain value of the cars worth. If it was minor work, the original owner may not have been required to legally report it when he sold or traded the car. Who knows where the dealer got the car. Could have been at auction. Unfortunately when you buy used, it is buyer beware.

Those pictures along with your description appear to indicate the car has definitley been painted, and most likely damaged.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #19
artifice
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just purchased a 08 m3 with very low miles for what I think is a good price. I asked the dealer more than once if the car has had any body work or been in an accident of any sort and they said no. The car looked fine, all body pieces seem to line up well however I just noticed a little bit of paint overspray on the top half of one of the exhaust tips and a little bit on the tip next to it while washing my car, none on the other 2 tips though. I also purchased IND painted reflectors because board members say the paint matches well but I found it to be a little bit darker. Can a body shop tell if a car has been in an accident or if any body part has been repainted? And if so, was the dealer legally responsible to tell me about this?
I thought you said the body pieces seem to line up. I would def get that checked out. When you open your hood does anything seem out of alignment around the edge of the car. Ie where the radiator is, headlight housings, nothing painted with overspray or re-conditioned. Check some of the gaps between the panels to see if there is over spray in them also.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #20
artifice
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
After some close inspection, there are some panels where it looks like pieces of dust or something simliar sized was painted over or there were some small chunks in the paint. Additionally I found that the door is rubbing against the fender on both the passenger and driver sides. Is this normal? I've attached 2 photos of this.
Even in these pictures you can see in the first one that the gap goes from almost touching to normal. Good luck and I hope it wasn't too major.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #21
MTurhee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS997S View Post
That is correct. The OP said the car was an 08 with low miles, so he must have bought it used. If the original owner had body work or paint work done, the selling dealer might not know about it. In North Carolina, the owner only has to disclose body repair work that exceeds a certain value of the cars worth. If it was minor work, the original owner may not have been required to legally report it when he sold or traded the car. Who knows where the dealer got the car. Could have been at auction. Unfortunately when you buy used, it is buyer beware.

Those pictures along with your description appear to indicate the car has definitley been painted, and most likely damaged.

The car was originally purchased at the same dealer that it was sold back to. Wouldn't the dealer at least take out a paint meter to check if a car has been repainted prior to taking the trade in or buying back the car? My local bmw dealer did that when I wanted to trade in my old car a few years ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #22
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremecruiser View Post
The dealer must disclose any work that has been done to the car, any damage must be reported to the potential buyer
Not on a used car they don't. As I read it, the op bought a used car.
Appreciate 0