BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-11-2024, 10:53 PM   #243
triplej
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Sedan with DCT

It still pings on BP98. I use Repco 7.0 stuff. As I say 1/3 (or less) per tank o/wise it produces a lot of soot in the exhaust which can't be good. Seems to work. Southern BM said they start with the plugs when diagnosing and certainly indicated to me all M3's do it to some degree. I guess it would need to be detuned to the local fuel but no one is taking that on.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 01:22 AM   #244
De_Cruelz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Cheers mate. Yeah, I've got new plugs and coils and yet the issue remains. Octane boosters help slightly but I still do get light pings. I even got the Vanos sensors cleaned as it was still good and replaced the low pressure fuel sensor too...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 03:00 PM   #245
triplej
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Sedan with DCT

thanks for sharing they were all things on my list to try. Not sure what the long term issues are with the additive tho.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 05:42 PM   #246
DOCTOR.Y
Eric_Y
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2016 bmw m3 f80  [0.00]
2010 M3 E92  [0.00]
[QUOTE=triplej;30572427]@De_Cruelz, No good news on the ping / pre det front. It’s still there. Seems I don’t drive it far enough or the Melbourne cold keeps it at bay, most of the time.
I have done some research and there is no clear answer that I’ve found. My usual garage doesn’t want to know about it. Southern BM tells me it could be any number of things, no guarantees they can fix it and even told me they “all do it”.
I also found a thread whereby somebody in AU confronted BMW about it and they basically told them it doesn’t damage the engine, live with it, or get another car. Great. That fills me with confidence.
My current solution is to add 1/3 of a bottle of octane boost to a 50L fill. That seems to work so far. Thats only a 0.33% mix. If this works thru summer it's the cheapest fix so far.

Hi mate, just share my experience:
My car and 3 other cars I drove all make this noise. Knowing how this noise sound like, I can hear several E92 M3 driving by making same noise. 2 N52 I have heard it as well plus my M54 engine. Kia Canival 3.6 petrol engine is also making this noise. These are all from either the car I drove or the noise I definitely heard. All of them make this noise but not as loud as s65 which is why this made a fuss here. This is potentially related to the design of ITB on S65 making everything louder. It’s so easy to reproduce, car warm, gentle throttle, low rpm climb slowly up on the driveway, you will hear. I used this way to test above NA cars and none of them survived. Try listen on other NA cars, they are there just in a faint volume.
Appreciate 0