BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #23
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
They don't charge me to deliver. 5gals of the 100 is just under that number.
I see..I rather go with the 109 then..as you can mix with a 93 and still get a fairly high octane..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #24
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
I see..I rather go with the 109 then..as you can mix with a 93 and still get a fairly high octane..
I just run straight 100
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #25
Gfunk720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3- AW

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLICKTITTLES View Post
Every engine in the world takes a certain octane to perform at it's best. End of story. The idea that "it requires 93 but 100 or 108 or something higher MUST be better" is ludacrious. Don't think in term of octane ratings-if it helps, think in terms of gasoline and diesel. 93 octane = gasoline and anything higher or lower = diesel.

You wouldn't put diesel in your car would you? Exactly.
This might be the silliest thing I've read all day.

Any engine can accomodate running higher octane fuel. Maybe you should understand what Octane ratings mean before you start making comments like this.

As others have said, the stock ECU can advance timing slightly to utilize the higher quality fuel, but it will be fairly minimal without forced induction. Spending 4 times the price of 91/93 to get 5hp isn't worth it in my opinion.
      04-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #26
SLICKTITTLES
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92

It comes down to two things: compression ratio and timing. Higher octane fuels are better on the car (not the wallet) by allowing for *marginally* better power gains and lower temps. Yes, the computer adjusts the ignition timing after a while of running say 109 octane, but the stock ECU cannot adjust up to 109 octane-it’s limit is that of around 96. Buying higher octane fuels (unless your cars had work to both adjust the compression ratio and timing) is a waste as you’re not reaping the reward.

Now what you’ve all had issues with is that I said it’s more dangerous. I know that science shows that if 109 can only be compressed to as far as possible depending on the vehicles setup(again, stock ~96 octane) and NO FURTHER then there’s no chance for damaging the engine. However, I’ve seen just the opposite happen on a cigarette boat’s motor with my own eyes and have to stand by what I’ve seen. I understand it is logically “wrong” but that doesn’t mean impossible. Understand shit happens-and we are literally playing with fire here. Perhaps the wrong fuel or a mix was put in (wasn’t my boat), but every possibility was factored out, and yes I stand by this claim knowing how strung out an engine it was.

OP, if you want to run higher octane, adjust your setup and buy a fuel that falls within your parameters(CR and adjusted timing)- something that you can trust such as VP (what I use as well). No offense to those who use the pump, but I just don’t trust that stuff. I hope it’s just for track use or because you’ve turbo’d or supercharged your M. Street use is just pointless and you’ve got nothing to prove on the street.

Finally Tech-hate on my flexed muscles all you want-you can’t just hate on people for asking a question or providing a response. What goes around, comes around.
      04-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #27
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
It comes down to two things: compression ratio and timing. Higher octane fuels are better on the car (not the wallet) by allowing for *marginally* better power gains and lower temps. Yes, the computer adjusts the ignition timing after a while of running say 109 octane, but the stock ECU cannot adjust up to 109 octane-it’s limit is that of around 96. Buying higher octane fuels (unless your cars had work to both adjust the compression ratio and timing) is a waste as you’re not reaping the reward.

Now what you’ve all had issues with is that I said it’s more dangerous. I know that science shows that if 109 can only be compressed to as far as possible depending on the vehicles setup(again, stock ~96 octane) and NO FURTHER then there’s no chance for damaging the engine. However, I’ve seen just the opposite happen on a cigarette boat’s motor with my own eyes and have to stand by what I’ve seen. I understand it is logically “wrong” but that doesn’t mean impossible. Understand shit happens-and we are literally playing with fire here. Perhaps the wrong fuel or a mix was put in (wasn’t my boat), but every possibility was factored out, and yes I stand by this claim knowing how strung out an engine it was.

OP, if you want to run higher octane, adjust your setup and buy a fuel that falls within your parameters(CR and adjusted timing)- something that you can trust such as VP (what I use as well). No offense to those who use the pump, but I just don’t trust that stuff. I hope it’s just for track use or because you’ve turbo’d or supercharged your M. Street use is just pointless and you’ve got nothing to prove on the street.

Finally Tech-hate on my flexed muscles all you want-you can’t just hate on people for asking a question or providing a response. What goes around, comes around.
So how do you explain that the tuners here on the board say that the ECU can definitely adapt to 100 octane when you say it can't.

Ask as many questions as you like. I hate on people who won't or are too lazy to search. As long as your response is valid, I have no issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #28
Gfunk720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3- AW

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

While I am still new here, I just don't think you should be giving out advice like that. Putting in anything other than 93 is not the equivalent of putting in diesel. Diesel will destroy the motor, higher octane fuel definitely will not. I'd put 100 octane in my M right now, and be 100% confident that nothing bad would happen.

Your one isolated incident provides no proof that higher octane fuel caused the failure in question. As you stated yourself, it is logically wrong, and there is no intelligent explination as to why the fuel would be the culprit(unless it was bad or improperly used)

The real risk is to your wallet.
      04-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #29
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:

Actually your bolded statement makes sense and is true there is a limit to how much head room there is on the stock ECU map so anything past a certain octane level may be percieved as waste not sure how you know 96 is the magic number but oh well....the rest of your post (s) are unfounded and misleading..this is still a 12.0 - 1 Compression engine..so the higher the octane the more power you will allow the engine to run in a safer manner..thats all octane is about..the ability to run more power safely

There is no "damage" that can be done using high octane..except if its leaded
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #30
In Extremis
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm324 View Post
You are so wrong its sad.

OP, you can buy it in 5 gallon drums (vp109, vp street blaze, etc...) at SKSPEED in long island (they have two shops). There is also a shitty looking gas station off the southern state that sells cam2 100 octane. Make sure you get unleaded. Dont expect a huge difference if your not tuned for it, but there is definitely some headroom in the timing tables of the stock ecu mapping and you can definitely squeeze out a little more when the ecu automatically advances timing etc...
I have an sk speed 5 min from my house, but out of curiosity, do you know what exit the gas station is off southern state?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #31
Jepper ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 m3

Iam doin auto cross not racing on The street I normally do put 93 in her just lookin for an edge on Sunday that's all wanted to c if it was ok for the motor
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #32
SLICKTITTLES
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92

I completely regret ever making an example using diesel-many of you completely misunderstood the illustration.

Anyway not going to quote people here but it's this simple: my research + my personal experiences = my opinion. And everybody's got one, right? What I was trying to get across is there's always a possibility as improbable as it may seem. Not to mention you guys were so critical of every word out of my mouth when you never noticed I said I use 93 octane. Doesn't bmw recommend 91 at the minimum? By the logic you interpreted (not what I was trying to convey), I would be going against everything I was saying.

OP-yes you'll get a marginal edge over competition if EVERYONE were running the exact same setup. More than likely (but not impossible.....smh) they won't be. If I were in your shoes I'd take the money I'd be wasting on higher octane fuel and invest in the weakest element of the car-the driver. Get some track time w/ an instructor and even if you've done so already, there's always more to learn.

IS THAT SOMETHING WE CAN ALL AGREE ON?!?!?

Finally, when filling up at the pump, stick to top tier gasoline stations.
toptiergas.com
      04-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #33
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Seriously?
+1
Quote:
If I need 93 for my car and 91 is all that's available, I guess I'll have to put some diesel in. As soon as you explain how it's "bad", the problem will be solved.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #34
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Interesting thread.
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #35
Verify
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Op, run some 100 octane bro, you and your car will love it. Anyone that tries to relate 100 octane to running diesel should be put in a corner
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #36
tjsabec
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008, e90, alpine white, 6mt

Quote:
I completely regret ever making an example using diesel-many of you completely misunderstood the illustration.
This had nothing to do with people misunderstanding you and everything to do with you making a very poor example with what seemed to be limited knowledge on the subject.

No big deal, just own it and move on.
Appreciate 0