BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

03-17-2019, 04:41 AM   #1
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

OEM Rotors

So I did something dumb.

I will be doing a few track days this summer. In preparation for it I got PFC pads and motul RBF 660 fluids. This past Friday I took my car to a buddy's shop to change out the pads and fluid as the oem fluid were due for service (service light came on) and I knew oem pads were below 50% thickness.

Unfortunately I forgot one small but important detail... oem rotor thickness. My buddy measured it and the fronts were at 28.7mm. The minimum being at 28.4mm, I was told the stock rotors won't survive the summer with a few track days thrown in there. I knew my rotors weren't perfect and was only hoping to make it through this year with them.

Now... should I just get oem rotors since I have brand new pads (less than 30km driven on them) in there. OR bite the bullet and get BBK and sell the PFC pads? Yes yes, I know I don't neeeeed BBK now but I' planned on getting them some day and I will be doing more track days down in the future.

Last edited by MaximusB; 03-17-2019 at 04:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 07:13 AM   #2
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
So I did something dumb.

I will be doing a few track days this summer. In preparation for it I got PFC pads and motul RBF 660 fluids. This past Friday I took my car to a buddy's shop to change out the pads and fluid as the oem fluid were due for service (service light came on) and I knew oem pads were below 50% thickness.

Unfortunately I forgot one small but important detail... oem rotor thickness. My buddy measured it and the fronts were at 28.7mm. The minimum being at 28.4mm, I was told the stock rotors won't survive the summer with a few track days thrown in there. I knew my rotors weren't perfect and was only hoping to make it through this year with them.

Now... should I just get oem rotors since I have brand new pads (less than 30km driven on them) in there. OR bite the bullet and get BBK and sell the PFC pads? Yes yes, I know I don't neeeeed BBK now but I' planned on getting them some day and I will be doing more track days down in the future.
If you can find a buyer for the pads I say go for the BBK as the consumables are cheaper in the long run. If not the oem rotors with PFC are a decent package but they will eat the oem rotors rather quickly.
      03-17-2019, 07:22 AM   #3
Timujin
Major
Rep
Drives: GMC Sierra

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
i vote for PFC Direct Drive V3 rotors.
      03-17-2019, 08:12 AM   #4
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
Quote:
So I did something dumb.

If you can find a buyer for the pads I say go for the BBK as the consumables are cheaper in the long run. If not the oem rotors with PFC are a decent package but they will eat the oem rotors rather quickly.
FCP euro OEM rotors. Free replacements for life ...
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881102.50
      03-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #5
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powashiftin View Post
FCP euro OEM rotors. Free replacements for life ...
Has anyone actually gone through OEM rotors every season then been able to get replacements from FCP without any issues? I feel like sooner or later they'd catch on haha
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881102.50
      03-17-2019, 09:43 AM   #6
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
People send their oil back in and they replace it.
      03-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #7
Timujin
Major
Rep
Drives: GMC Sierra

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
If going OEM FCP for sure.

Don't forget you will pay to ship the old ones back and you maybe rotorless for a tad.
      03-17-2019, 01:22 PM   #8
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timujin View Post

Don't forget you will pay to ship the old ones back and you maybe rotorless for a tad.
Not if you rebuy and get refunded.

I'd say rock them until they warp, being below min thickness doesn't mean they will disintergrate, just be ready to replace them at first sign of warping or sign of fatigue.

Last edited by tdott; 03-17-2019 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #9
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Quote:

Not if you rebuy and get refunded.

I'd say rock them until they warp, being below min thickness doesn't mean they will disintergrate, just be ready to replace them at first sign of warping or sign or fatigue.
Warp? I don't think that's an issue with modern day rotors.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 01:41 PM   #10
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
I was going to say the exact same thing

PFC DD rotors up front, match them with your rear stock rotors. It is more braking power than you need and the DD rotor keeps much cooler than stock
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #11
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

The people tracking oem rotors and get them replaced by fcp, as well as people sending oil back are the ones that will kill the hen that lays golden eggs
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00
      03-17-2019, 02:25 PM   #12
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
I was going to say the exact same thing

PFC DD rotors up front, match them with your rear stock rotors. It is more braking power than you need and the DD rotor keeps much cooler than stock
Yeah I was looking at the PFC rotors last night as well. I recall reading one of your post from a while back about them.

Unfortunately being in Canada, PFC rotors and oem rears will still cost me about $2000 by the time it gets to my door. At that price I might as well spend it on a BBK, or no?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 02:59 PM   #13
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I was looking at the PFC rotors last night as well. I recall reading one of your post from a while back about them.

Unfortunately being in Canada, PFC rotors and oem rears will still cost me about $2000 by the time it gets to my door. At that price I might as well spend it on a BBK, or no?
I'd take the oem rears out of the equation as they are required anyway

Pfc dd v3 rotors are like 1.2k usd with a set of pfc pads. Stoptech front calipers and rotors go for 2-2.5k usd used with questionable pads and rotors which may need replacing

At those price I'd buy the dd with my eyes closed. Good luck going through a single set of those rotors.

You already have a set of pfc pads. Hopefully the 11s. So if you buy a front bbk you'll have to sell those
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 01:37 AM   #14
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'd take the oem rears out of the equation as they are required anyway

Pfc dd v3 rotors are like 1.2k usd with a set of pfc pads. Stoptech front calipers and rotors go for 2-2.5k usd used with questionable pads and rotors which may need replacing

At those price I'd buy the dd with my eyes closed. Good luck going through a single set of those rotors.

You already have a set of pfc pads. Hopefully the 11s. So if you buy a front bbk you'll have to sell those
I agree that used BBK are questionable, and I’ll never risk safety. If I go with bbk option it’ll be a new kit. The only way I’ll consider a used bbk is from a trusted vendor.

Anyways been searching here and there throughout the day and I’m leaning more towards bbk. Yes yes I know it is an overkill but it is something that I plan on getting down the road, like in 2 years time. So decision decision... spend $1.7k Pfc dd front and oem rear now and call it a day... or bite the bullet, $4.7k stoptech st60 front and st40 rear (quote from a vendor). I still have a couple of months to make up my mind. I don’t need to do anything till June.

PS... the karbonius groupbuy isn’t helping in this situation... but totally worth it!

Last edited by MaximusB; 03-18-2019 at 01:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      03-18-2019, 12:01 PM   #15
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
Has anyone actually gone through OEM rotors every season then been able to get replacements from FCP without any issues? I feel like sooner or later they'd catch on haha
Apparently they don't care, even if you are replacing them on a track car - they'll still honour the warranty. That's pretty incredible, good on them (for us at least haha).
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #16
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Anyways been searching here and there throughout the day and I’m leaning more towards bbk. Yes yes I know it is an overkill but it is something that I plan on getting down the road, like in 2 years time. So decision decision... spend $1.7k Pfc dd front and oem rear now and call it a day... or bite the bullet, $4.7k stoptech st60 front and st40 rear (quote from a vendor). I still have a couple of months to make up my mind.
Another point: unless you are getting the F+R bbk for looks, the rear bbk offers very little advantage.
One of my M3s has the PFC bbk up front only and the other has F+R. Using the same pads in both I cannot discern a difference other than the speed at which I go through consumables -- the rear BBK pads/rotors last forever and ever. Although the rear oem caliper pad and oem rotor also last a while
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 12:36 PM   #17
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Quote:
Another point: unless you are getting the F+R bbk for looks, the rear bbk offers very little advantage.
One of my M3s has the PFC bbk up front only and the other has F+R. Using the same pads in both I cannot discern a difference other than the speed at which I go through consumables -- the rear BBK pads/rotors last forever and ever. Although the rear oem caliper pad and oem rotor also last a while
Hmm that is actually a very good point. I do want the complete look for bbk. But having said that, I don't really need to do the rear now. I can just get the front for the time being and then do the rear next year. The measurement I got were the front rotors and didn't measure the rear. I am just assuming the rear will be the same or slightly better.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 06:16 PM   #18
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Quote:
Can bbk install be diy? Is it just a straight forward bleed after install or do I need ista to cycle the abs pumps to get all the air out?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:15 AM   #19
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Can bbk install be diy? Is it just a straight forward bleed after install or do I need ista to cycle the abs pumps to get all the air out?
it's definitely a DIY!! Don't pay someone to do that, it's easier than the airbox!

The key here is to get a piece of wood and hold the brake pedal all the way down before starting. This 'locks' the brake system and doesn't allow it to drain.
Do this first, then take your time while its held down and when done you just have to bleed the fronts.

Bleeding ABS with INPA/whatever is a good idea because the pump cycling improves brake feel as the fluid in there can get old.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #20
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Quote:
it's definitely a DIY!! Don't pay someone to do that, it's easier than the airbox!

The key here is to get a piece of wood and hold the brake pedal all the way down before starting. This 'locks' the brake system and doesn't allow it to drain.
Do this first, then take your time while its held down and when done you just have to bleed the fronts.

Bleeding ABS with INPA/whatever is a good idea because the pump cycling improves brake feel as the fluid in there can get old.
Thanks. DIY it is. I looked up the install guide for stoptech and it is pretty straight forward. The fluid in the car are new, had a full flushed last Friday. Think I should bleed the ABS again anyways? I guess I could just bleed it first then drive over to my budd's shop and use his software to bleed it again.

Man when I did the bbk (stoptech) install on my other car many years ago it was a lot simpler with little to no computer controlled functions.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      03-19-2019, 06:01 PM   #21
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. DIY it is. I looked up the install guide for stoptech and it is pretty straight forward. The fluid in the car are new, had a full flushed last Friday. Think I should bleed the ABS again anyways? I guess I could just bleed it first then drive over to my budd's shop and use his software to bleed it again.

Man when I did the bbk (stoptech) install on my other car many years ago it was a lot simpler with little to no computer controlled functions.
If it was flushed using the abs function i wouldn't do it again

Computer stuff is a pain, however, before you had no way to do the abs bleed and now you do... so it has its advantages

Let me know if you run into trouble, i have done a few of these
Appreciate 1
MaximusB1390.50
      03-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #22
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Quote:
Let me know if you run into trouble, i have done a few of these
For the dust shield, should I remove it or trim it? Seems like it is better to remove it completely as it offers better cooling to the brakes, but will that introduce more dust in the wheel well area?
Appreciate 0