BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

07-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #177
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epik View Post
Lots of fanboyism in this thread.

Go check out both cars for yourself. In my opinion, the GTR is miles above the M3 all around. People who complain about all the new technology "taking away the driving experience" of the GTR have no driven it and are idiots who have been taken by "rwd rear engine omg so stupid but that's why it's cool because it takes a real man to control it and drive fast without being killed" marketing.

The GTR is on a level the M3 won't ever reach judging by what BMW has done with each generation.
Contemporary P-car drivers don't go on about your idiotic marketing beliefs, nor do the old school guys either. But hey, at least those play station guys nailed the GT-R's theme.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #178
gotboost
Rep
Drives: 09 nissan GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
I agree with a lot of what you're saying except that:

-the seats are marginal at best. The front seats are over half fabric and don't hold a person that well.
And seats, for me at least, are a pretty big deal.

-my point on the trunk wasn't that is was big, it was that is an ackward shape, deep without enough length and width. I wish they had fold down rear seats.

-the seat heaters are just pathetic. They are in a weird spot and they don't work well. There are two settings that seem to turn off and on randomly.
They seem like a complete afterthought (like M6 cupholders).

-the lack of rain sensors and three blink turn signaling are minor but add to the negative column

-Along with the issue you point out, no automatic headlight feature.

Nissan should have taken a cue from Porsche and had a ton of options available. That's were the money is.
I would have had no problem sinking another $20k into better seats, lighting, interior details, performance add ons, and creature comforts.
Seats to me are comfortable in the GT-R but I can see your point, That is one area I agree BMW is better. Way more adjustments including adjustable lumbar and side bolster adjust. Ok, now that we agree, I'm going back to Nagtroc, and by the way, my next purchase is going to be a 10' GT-3, but I'll be keeping my GT-R

Nissan will be coming out soon with the M Spec, which is a GT-R that you'll be able to pick options on. You'll get your wish!:
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #179
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotboost View Post
Seats to me are comfortable in the GT-R but I can see your point, That is one area I agree BMW is better. Way more adjustments including adjustable lumbar and side bolster adjust. Ok, now that we agree, I'm going back to Nagtroc, and by the way, my next purchase is going to be a 10' GT-3, but I'll be keeping my GT-R

Nissan will be coming out soon with the M Spec, which is a GT-R that you'll be able to pick options on. You'll get your wish!:
Wow what a coincidence. My next car is a 997GT3 but Im debating whether or not to keep the GTR.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 11:51 PM   #180
moosety2009
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Maserati spyder/BMW z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Contemporary P-car drivers don't go on about your idiotic marketing beliefs, nor do the old school guys either. But hey, at least those play station guys nailed the GT-R's theme.
Not really sure what your reactions would be if the guys from GranTurismo had any design influence on your GT3 or M3 telematics? Would P-cars lose their cool, or would they be more cool?

This "contemporary p-car/old school" pretentiousness is just that. I'll take a modest 10K for some interior mods and maybe some engine mods on my GTR and take your GT3 and run circles around it.

Truth be told, P-cars are played out. The only difference between them is the number of gills slits they have. The funny part is the Caymen is actually the best looking of them all.

I see 10's of dozens of P-cars and bimmers around. I'll take my "Dautson" it's "crapy" interior and Play-station designed telematics and walk around with a hint of originality, vice pretending I've got something exotic and overpriced under the theme of performance/luxury.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 06:29 AM   #181
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosety2009 View Post
Not really sure what your reactions would be if the guys from GranTurismo had any design influence on your GT3 or M3 telematics? Would P-cars lose their cool, or would they be more cool?

This "contemporary p-car/old school" pretentiousness is just that. I'll take a modest 10K for some interior mods and maybe some engine mods on my GTR and take your GT3 and run circles around it.

Truth be told, P-cars are played out. The only difference between them is the number of gills slits they have. The funny part is the Caymen is actually the best looking of them all.

I see 10's of dozens of P-cars and bimmers around. I'll take my "Dautson" it's "crapy" interior and Play-station designed telematics and walk around with a hint of originality, vice pretending I've got something exotic and overpriced under the theme of performance/luxury.

I'm very sorry, did "contemporary" get you all flustered? I'll try not to use such pretentious words next time.

Last edited by devo; 07-18-2009 at 06:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 06:50 AM   #182
Quacker
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
This was my thinking as well. I took all of this away from my comparison of the two cars, and this doesnt have anything to do with the intense level of ugly that the GTR emits. I think the M3 looks amazing, where as the ... GTR not so much. Why did I buy a P-car?

The performance of the GTR, but I'm actually driving the car. Like ive said before, if I want a computer to have that much to do with my driving id play Forza or watch Top Gear. You want a real driving expirience with GTR performance? Buy a 911 Turbo with simple mods.
You sound like a very very bitter person trying to justify his purchase

what, the 997tt is not computerised? psm, 4wd with split torque, tcs etc etc...
The turbo has just as much fancy electronics as the GTR. The difference is that the GTR applies them better.

Quote:
Have you really spent a lot of time in the GTR?
-The seats are not all leather. And they don't come close to any of the German cars I have owned in the fit department.
-The leather itself seems of lower quality.
-There's a lot of plastic (and I mean a lot)
-(As someone pointed out in this thread) the interior of the doors basically has floormat carpeting half way up them.
And then there's the little things:
-no autmatic rain sensors
-heated seats are really weak
-no three blink passing mode
-the trunk is an ackward giant hole
-the rear seats are even more of a joke than my old M6 (and thats saying something)

- seats are not all leather because when you're cornering at more than 1G, the suede-like material on the GTR's seat will prevent you're fat ass from sliding around. Why do you think racing bucket seats are not leather?
- The M3 has more plastic than the GTR. GTR has leather dash - M3 doesn't.
- "no automatic rain sensor," You can't be bother to lift a finger to activate the wipers?
- "no three blink passing mode," WTF??? You might as well complain that the GTR doesn't drive for you as well! Hang on a minute - GTR-haters are complaining that the GTR drives for you. How ironic...
- "the trunk is an awkward gaping hole," eeerr what supercar out there apart from the GTR that has a big trunk?
- "heated seats are really weak," maybe cos you've got a fat ass and it just takes so darn long for all that fat to heat up?
-"the rear seats are even more of a joke than my old M6 (and thats saying something)" Again, GTR is 'supercar', you should get that by now.
By the way, my friend's limo has bigger and more comfy back seats than your M6. So what's my point?

Last edited by Quacker; 07-19-2009 at 12:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #183
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
You sound like a very very bitter person trying to justify his purchase

what, the 997tt is not computerised? psm, 4wd with split torque, tcs etc etc...
The turbo has just as much fancy electronics as the GTR. The difference is that the GTR applies them better.

- seats are not all leather because when you're cornering at more than 1G, the suede-like material on the GTR's seat will prevent you're fat ass from sliding around. Why do you think racing bucket seats are not leather?
- The M3 has more plastic than the GTR. GTR has leather dash - M3 doesn't.
- "no automatic rain sensor," You can't be bother to lift a finger to activate the wipers?
- "no three blink passing mode," WTF??? You might as well complain that the GTR doesn't drive for you as well! Hang on a minute - GTR-haters are complaining that the GTR drives for you. How ironic...
- "the trunk is an awkward gaping hole," eeerr what supercar out there apart from the GTR that has a big trunk?
- "heated seats are really weak," maybe cos you've got a fat ass and it just takes so darn long for all that fat to heat up?
-"the rear seats are even more of a joke than my old M6 (and thats saying something)" Again, GTR is 'supercar', you should get that by now
You're complaing that someone else is bitter? sheez
BTW, where's that apology?
BTW2, all the responses you have are just excuses. The "it's a supercar" answer doesn't blanket over these annoyances. It's not a McLaren F1 its a super fast car that is suppose to be a great DD too. Nissan should have put more effort in these details.

-2017 Ford Raptor

Last edited by 991GT3; 07-18-2009 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 12:03 AM   #184
Quacker
Rep

Quote:
You're complaing that someone else is bitter? sheez
BTW, where's that apology?
BTW2, all the responses you have are just excuses. The "it's a supercar" answer doesn't blanket over these annoyances. It's not a McLaren F1 its a super fast car that is suppose to be a great DD too. Nissan should have put more effort in these details.
The picture of that GTR doesn't prove anything. Could've been a friends car. You gotta do better than that to convirnce me you own a GTR. So far, your subjective opinions of the GTR is pretty much wrong.
You still haven't explained to me why you think I am wrong.

And since when does a dd car supposed to be fully decked out in luxury?
If you are knocking the GTR as a poor excuse for a dd because of it's interior - owners of Audis will be knocking your M3 as a poor excuse for a luxury car. So what's my point?

why don't you just admit it. You don't own a GTR and you hate the car. Be direct and don't 'beat around the bush'
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 12:54 AM   #185
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The picture of that GTR doesn't prove anything. Could've been a friends car. You gotta do better than that to convirnce me you own a GTR. So far, your subjective opinions of the GTR is pretty much wrong.
You still haven't explained to me why you think I am wrong.

And since when does a dd car supposed to be fully decked out in luxury?
If you are knocking the GTR as a poor excuse for a dd because of it's interior - owners of Audis will be knocking your M3 as a poor excuse for a luxury car. So what's my point?

why don't you just admit it. You don't own a GTR and you hate the car. Be direct and don't 'beat around the bush'

You ask for a picture and I post one. What more did you want?
Or was that just a lie that if I produced a picture(which BTW was there before you asked) you'd apologize? You owe me an apology.
And how can subjective opinions be wrong? They're subjective. Get it?
And its weird you're calling me a liar for saying the GTR interior isn't as good as the M3s when ScotH says the same thing. Is he a liar about owning a GTR too?
The reality is that you've brainwashed yourself into believing the GTR has no flaws. While I, after owning many German vehicles, can see them.
It's an odd position defending the GTR in an M3 forum and being ripped on by a troll GTR owner for not saying the Nissan is perfect.
I guess a few posters were right when they said there are too many GTR fanboys here.

And as far as pointing out where you're wrong all you have to do is reread my posts. but I'll recap for you:
-the seats are marginal (not even close to my Black Series)
-the accessories are below average
-the interior quality is average at best
-the car isn't as stable at high speed as my Black, M6, or CLS

And why the hell would I lie about owning a freakin GTR?
It's the least expensive, most easily acquired car I've had since 2003,when I bought an E46 M3. It's going to be my winter beater this year, since my wife is now driving my Cayenne GTS.

Sheez. Why don't you stick to debating the points instead of going off in this paranoid silly direction?

-2017 Ford Raptor

Last edited by 991GT3; 07-19-2009 at 01:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #186
Quacker
Rep

The M3 shouldn't even be mentioned on the same page, let alone the same sentence as the GTR. The GTR is on a higher level. Enough said.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #187
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The M3 shouldn't even be mentioned on the same page, let alone the same sentence as the GTR. The GTR is on a higher level. Enough said.
M3/GTR, M3/GTR, M3/GTR, M3/GTR, M3/GTR .
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #188
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:

BMW doesn't hyphenate its models.

There's the Nissan GT-R,

and then there are the BMW M3 GTR and BMW M3 GTR2
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #189
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

When I started this thread I shouldn't have put a "vs" in the title.

It should have read "Going from M3 to GTR...."

I wasn't trying to compare them, I was really looking for some fatal flaw that would make me not want a GTR.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one & some don't appreciate the creature comforts or even see the difference in fit & finish.

Clearly the GTR & M3 are different and have a different target market.

Can we leave it at that?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 02:40 PM   #190
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH View Post
When I started this thread I shouldn't have put a "vs" in the title.

It should have read "Going from M3 to GTR...."

I wasn't trying to compare them, I was really looking for some fatal flaw that would make me not want a GTR.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one & some don't appreciate the creature comforts or even see the difference in fit & finish.

Clearly the GTR & M3 are different and have a different target market.

Can we leave it at that?
Have you had a chance to push the GTR hard yet?

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #191
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

Quote:
Have you had a chance to push the GTR hard yet?
Not yet, I'm going on a 700km road trip tomorrow.

On my way back I should be good to go!

I've only brought her up to about 4k a few times but man, up to that point the sound of the turbo's spooling and the whine from the transmission is sex.

I've also installed a Harman Motive mid section. That improved the exhaust note 100%.

Not that it matters much but, the fuel economy so far is crazy good. About 11L/100km.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #192
moosety2009
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Maserati spyder/BMW z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH View Post
Not yet, I'm going on a 700km road trip tomorrow.

On my way back I should be good to go!

I've only brought her up to about 4k a few times but man, up to that point the sound of the turbo's spooling and the whine from the transmission is sex.

I've also installed a Harman Motive mid section. That improved the exhaust note 100%.

Not that it matters much but, the fuel economy so far is crazy good. About 11L/100km.
scott! Damn dude, saw a youtube of the car on dyno with the Harman Motive, all I've got to say is WOOOW!! Can you post a youtube of your car? maybe in NAGTROC? Would seriously appreciate it! I can't wait for you to rip the car up! Please, please please, report after you do!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 04:30 AM   #193
ihatepotholes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: infiniti M45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
This was my thinking as well. I took all of this away from my comparison of the two cars, and this doesnt have anything to do with the intense level of ugly that the GTR emits. I think the M3 looks amazing, where as the ... GTR not so much. Why did I buy a P-car?

The performance of the GTR, but I'm actually driving the car. Like ive said before, if I want a computer to have that much to do with my driving id play Forza or watch Top Gear. You want a real driving expirience with GTR performance? Buy a 911 Turbo with simple mods.

you have never driven the car, anybody that have said it feels like a video game have not driven a GTR, quit watching those top gear or whatever gear retarded shows. go out and drive the car befor you come up with some moronic comments.

infact anybody with some driving skills or have been on the track will not make this kinda uneducated comments
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #194
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

This thread is getting out of control....Honeslty I'm disapointed that a lot of people or talking trash because it has a lesser badge and are making up excuses like poor interior, no manual tranny, it's like being in a video game. The m3 is not a good daily DD. A 335I fills that role better and can be as fast an an M3. In canada the m3 is 20K more than the m3. Is it worth it? The m3 has less equipement(no sunroof, etc) but for me it's worth the extra 20K. To most people it's a bmw is a bmw. Same goes for the GT-R it's a Nissan and who cares. The NSX was a honda and was a great car. If I buy an AW E92 M3 I bet that people will still think that I'm driving my (old) 135I. They will say that I'm nuts for paying 22K more that I've paid for (the same car). The GT-R is 30K more than an M3 over here so I can't even think about getting one. However I would if I could. I'm no brand loyalist and I have a car list to buy before I die(Subaru is on that list too) . I always wanted an M3 I'll get one then I will move on to something else.

My 0.02$
A real car enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #195
C17MooseDriver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
This thread is getting out of control....Honeslty I'm disapointed that a lot of people or talking trash because it has a lesser badge and are making up excuses like poor interior, no manual tranny, it's like being in a video game. The m3 is not a good daily DD. A 335I fills that role better and can be as fast an an M3. In canada the m3 is 20K more than the m3. Is it worth it? The m3 has less equipement(no sunroof, etc) but for me it's worth the extra 20K. To most people it's a bmw is a bmw. Same goes for the GT-R it's a Nissan and who cares. The NSX was a honda and was a great car. If I buy an AW E92 M3 I bet that people will still think that I'm driving my (old) 135I. They will say that I'm nuts for paying 22K more that I've paid for (the same car). The GT-R is 30K more than an M3 over here so I can't even think about getting one. However I would if I could. I'm no brand loyalist and I have a car list to buy before I die(Subaru is on that list too) . I always wanted an M3 I'll get one then I will move on to something else.

My 0.02$
A real car enthusiast
I find it hard to believe someone would think the 135i is the same as the M3. I can understand newbies not knowing the differene between the 335i and the M3, but be realistic here.

How do you know the M3 is not a good DD? You don't drive one do you? Not sure about the GTR, but the M3 is an awesome DD. Its comfortable and docile when you want it, but you can also transform it into a monster by slamming on the throttle.

My 0.02$

BTW, I think the GTR is an awesome car. I wish they branded it as an infiniti because those Nissan dealers suck.
      07-20-2009, 12:15 PM   #196
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17MooseDriver View Post
I find it hard to believe someone would think the 135i is the same as the M3. I can understand newbies not knowing the differene between the 335i and the M3, but be realistic here.

How do you know the M3 is not a good DD? You don't drive one do you? Not sure about the GTR, but the M3 is an awesome DD. Its comfortable and docile when you want it, but you can also transform it into a monster by slamming on the throttle.

My 0.02$

BTW, I think the GTR is an awesome car. I wish they branded it as an infiniti because those Nissan dealers suck.
I'm not saying that it's not a good daily driver. I come from high reving cars AND bike. I got the 135I for daily grinds since I was fed up of the lack of torque and wanted something new(business venture forced me not to spend too much on the car)....Since last year I only track my bike and I miss high revs so for me it has to be an M3 since I can't DD a lotus in Montreal. I'm not an M3 basher trust me it is the perfect car for me (v8, 8300 rpm) I can see myself keeping it for 4-5 years easily. I'm sure that I will have a tear in my eye driving it home for the first time(Reward for hard work).I'm just saying that the average joe or poseur will whine about fuel economy, being loud, having no torque, cloth interior and no sunroof so let them have the 335I-XI. I'm getting a stripped down E90(No EDC, Speed cloth, Stick,18s no sunroof).

As for the look difference, in Montreal we're broke. Drive a 128I and you look rich.....people who know cars will know by bystanders have no clue. Same goes for Boxster-Cayman-911. Same for Audi Mercedes....Everyday I get the you must be rich you drive a Bmw or do you do in life to afford such a nice car ...time to move to Cali so that I can blend in and be considered poor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.

Last edited by mtla4; 07-20-2009 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #197
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post

My 0.02$
A real car enthusiast

A poor interior is an excuse?
If Nissan wants to aim at the German car buyer than interior quality is an issue they need to address.
If they're just trying to snag Evo owners, that make a little more money, then they're fine.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #198
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
A poor interior is an excuse?
If Nissan wants to aim at the German car buyer than interior quality is an issue they need to address.
If they're just trying to snag Evo owners, that make a little more money, then they're fine.
The purpose of the car is strickly performance. GT3 saga ....Nissan never spoked or bragged about it's interior, bluetooth or any other options...nor any other sports car does(vettes, Vipers etc). The M3 on the other hand has to live up to Bmw reputation and loyal customers so they can't only sell stripped versions like CSL or EVO versions otherwise not many people would buy them. I wish they would but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Does driving a German car means that you want all the gizmos and useless crap(to me). Honestly I've never been fond on Bmw. Why? A lot of customers are badge whore or worry more about their image rather than the cars. The cars themselves are amazing!!! Where can you find an other inline-6, 8300 rpm v8, 8000 rpm v10, excellent handling like Bmw does....not many company can brag about that . However Bmw is offering products that are too heavy, bloated and luxurious to please elitists. The m3 started as an homologated race car...I just don't like the direction that ///M is taking by offering SUVs and stuffing more junk in their cars. How many posts in this thread we're about 1/4 mile, HP, mods, track days? All we heard about are girls stuff (let our wives,gf,sisters talk about look and interior)let's talk about performance. People that don't care about performance won't care about the GT-R.
Again just my opinion(maybe it does not count since I drive a poor @SS 135...for now)

Last edited by mtla4; 07-20-2009 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0