BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

02-14-2023, 02:38 PM   #1
averagejoe
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Active Autowerke E9x M3 x-pipe driver side low?

I recently had a brand-new Active Autowerke signature x-pipe with GESI high flow cats installed on my E90 M3, and it was immediately obvious that the driver-side pipe is angled downward rather steeply relative to the passenger side, which is nearly level. The problem of course is that the already-low clamp is now about an inch lower on the driver side, and it's scraping on moderate-size speed bumps. Looking at the tunnel area above the pipe, I don't see why this side of the exhaust would have been designed to be lower like this, but the significant difference in angle from the first bend suggests it must have been intentional. For those who have this same x-pipe - and especially a newer one with the GESI cats - is yours also angled as shown in the attached pictures?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Last edited by averagejoe; 02-15-2023 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 04:37 PM   #2
averagejoe
Rep

I called Active Autowerke support earlier this week and was asked to email them some photos; still waiting to hear back but I will follow up here with their response when and if it comes.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 07:03 PM   #3
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

i suspect your actual xpipe section is installed the wrong... just flip it and it would probably resolve.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 08:14 PM   #4
eddyed11
Private
United_States
Rep

I had the same problem with my AA Xpipe with HFCs. The driver side always hung lower and would scrape speedbumps. Swapped out with an Evolve X-Pipe and I’m much happier!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 08:05 AM   #5
Ajolives
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Same here - it’s a bit annoying. I’m interested to hear what they say.

Overall the fitment is meh, and the drivers test pipe support brackets didn’t line up to OEM location and the retailer told me to deal with it - but it doesn’t sag like the cats do. Overall fitment is meh, I had the rear cans too and they were a PIA to get straight. Love the sound of both pieces, almost enough for me not to care about this.

omgzirra_exe I flipped it before and that doesn’t work.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 08:46 AM   #6
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Since it looks to be a 2 piece design I'm betting you need to rotate the low side upwards.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 04:03 PM   #7
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I installed the AA HFC X Pipe plus AA Rear recently as well. Same issue.

I scrape on some speed bumps, and no longer can go into the local car wash since that low hanging pipe scrapes.

Please keep us posted if you get a resolution. I will reach out to AA next week as well, since I just bought both brand new from them.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 04:06 PM   #8
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

By the way: how do you all like the sound? I think it sounds FANTASTIC!

Down low it sounds very nice, with an exotic howl similar to the MPE but much more pronounced.

Mid it gets a little raspy, but sounds good.

Haven't had a chance to get up in high RPM's yet since its been crap weather.

A little droney on the highway, and 2k RPM.

But its worth it. Really brings on the Motorsport of this car, even makes driving slow fun no longer need to rev it out to get some nice sounds.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 07:09 PM   #9
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajolives View Post
Same here - it’s a bit annoying. I’m interested to hear what they say.

Overall the fitment is meh, and the drivers test pipe support brackets didn’t line up to OEM location and the retailer told me to deal with it - but it doesn’t sag like the cats do. Overall fitment is meh, I had the rear cans too and they were a PIA to get straight. Love the sound of both pieces, almost enough for me not to care about this.

omgzirra_exe I flipped it before and that doesn’t work.
i c.. i wonder if it being a 3in xpipe certain things had to be considered.

iirc it is a 3in x pipe too.
Appreciate 1
Ajolives922.00
      02-18-2023, 07:15 PM   #10
Ajolives
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
i c.. i wonder if it being a 3in xpipe certain things had to be considered.

iirc it is a 3in x pipe too.
That’s a great point, it is a 3 inch pipe and may have some fitment issues with the extra girth.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 07:17 PM   #11
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

double. post.
Appreciate 1
Ajolives922.00
      02-22-2023, 05:45 AM   #12
tigerbalmwoods
Rep
Drives: trd

Hows the smell with the Gesi cats? I have the AA with HFC before they used the GESI 300cells and the smell is pretty bad. I was wondering how the smell is with the newly Gesi cats for high flow setup? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 02:00 PM   #13
averagejoe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalmwoods View Post
Hows the smell with the Gesi cats? I have the AA with HFC before they used the GESI 300cells and the smell is pretty bad. I was wondering how the smell is with the newly Gesi cats for high flow setup? Thanks
Well I'm running a Harrop, but it's not too much worse than the stock exhaust - note that the tune was updated for the HFCs, so that's another variable. If I stop and get out shortly after running it into higher revs, I do get a sulfur smell that hangs around a while, but it's nowhere near as bad as catless.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 07:30 PM   #14
averagejoe
Rep

My exhaust has been doing pretty well on speed bumps, but I got basically high-centered on a speed hump and had to drag the exhaust over the top. I'm actually not scraping the cat at all but the clamp is taking a beating. I'm really not worried about the x-pipe but rather the headers - the runners certainly have some flex in them but when the clamp catches on something, it's pulling straight back and I wonder if it will start to damage the manifold at some point...
Attached Images

Last edited by averagejoe; 02-23-2023 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 03:42 PM   #15
Fooksdaddy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 SSII

Here’s mine, 100 cell cats…. Mine might be slightly lower but not as much as yours…
Attached Images

E36 ///M3 Arctic Silver
E46 ///M3 Carbon Schwartz
Appreciate 1
Ajolives922.00
      02-24-2023, 04:40 PM   #16
pkeller99
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT ZCP

I ran this x pipe and had a tough time getting it to either A) have enough clearance from the heat shield and B) have enough clearance from the ground.

At the time I lived near downtown and ended up high centering on the exhaust coming out of a parking garage, pulling the flange from the header that connects to the x pipe straight off.

Long story short, I’m running BW x pipe now
      03-01-2023, 09:16 AM   #17
averagejoe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeller99 View Post
I ran this x pipe and had a tough time getting it to either A) have enough clearance from the heat shield and B) have enough clearance from the ground.

At the time I lived near downtown and ended up high centering on the exhaust coming out of a parking garage, pulling the flange from the header that connects to the x pipe straight off.

Long story short, I’m running BW x pipe now
Ouch! That's exactly what worries me about this exhaust - the forces imparted on the headers when the inevitable ground feature catches that stupid clamp. Thus far, the cats haven't touched anything at all but the clamp has dragged over speed humps a few times now.

I bought this x-pipe primarily for the cats, as I wanted to open up the exhaust flow with the Harrop SC I recently installed, and having some concern about the durability of the factory catalyst under increased heat and a generally richer fuel mix. What I didn't expect was turning a versatile, trouble-free car into the sort of lowered ride I might have tolerated in my 20s. Back in those days, I also drove cars without cats, and there's no way I'm ever doing that again. Given the current aftermarket for these cars, I'm not exactly spoiled for choice.

Separate complaint: I also have a strong vibration coming through the wheel, shifter, and floor at WOT and higher revs, but that is a comparatively minor concern at this point. Might just go back to stock exhaust...

Last edited by averagejoe; 03-01-2023 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 10:05 PM   #18
pkeller99
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
Ouch! That's exactly what worries me about this exhaust - the forces imparted on the headers when the inevitable ground feature catches that stupid clamp. Thus far, the cats haven't touched anything at all but the clamp has dragged over speed humps a few times now.

I bought this x-pipe primarily for the cats, as I wanted to open up the exhaust flow with the Harrop SC I recently installed, and having some concern about the durability of the factory catalyst under increased heat and a generally richer fuel mix. What I didn't expect was turning a versatile, trouble-free car into the sort of lowered ride I might have tolerated in my 20s. Back in those days, I also drove cars without cats, and there's no way I'm ever doing that again. Given the current aftermarket for these cars, I'm not exactly spoiled for choice.

Separate complaint: I also have a strong vibration coming through the wheel, shifter, and floor at WOT and higher revs, but that is a comparatively minor concern at this point. Might just go back to stock exhaust...
Another common problem with that x pipe is a vibration that you can feel through the floorboards. I ended up having to use a rubber mallet to push the heat shielding up around the cats and piping to get it away from the exhaust and avoid the rattle.

That x pipe made me feel incompetent at basic mechanic work
      03-02-2023, 12:38 PM   #19
Fooksdaddy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeller99 View Post
Another common problem with that x pipe is a vibration that you can feel through the floorboards. I ended up having to use a rubber mallet to push the heat shielding up around the cats and piping to get it away from the exhaust and avoid the rattle.

That x pipe made me feel incompetent at basic mechanic work
Be careful of this as well....i did the same and pushed the heat shielding too close to the drive shaft and got additional noise
E36 ///M3 Arctic Silver
E46 ///M3 Carbon Schwartz
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 01:21 PM   #20
averagejoe
Rep

Well I did end up talking to Active Autowerke - who were very forthcoming and helpful - and it is indeed an intentional design choice to route the driver side pipe this way. They said it's due to the 4" diameter cats, and the fact that the driver side heat shield is lower than the passenger side above the cats. Further back, the driver side shielding is also lower in the vicinity of the v-band clamp. They claimed to have done everything they could to bring the exhaust up away from the ground, and given the commonly-reported vibration issues from contact with the shielding, that seems plausible.

To their credit, they did offer to accept a return and suggested a catless x-pipe, but that's a no-go for me. As far as I can tell, this is the only x-pipe on the market with "legal" high flow cats. Perhaps modifying it by having the clamps replaced with welded sections would alleviate the ground contact on speed humps, but the routing of the pipe would still be far from optimal, and then there's the vibration problem to solve.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 12:38 PM   #21
eddyed11
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post

The vibration could be an exhaust leak. I caught the clamp on a little cement lip and it unseated the pipes from each other. This caused vibration in the floorboards at higher RPMs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0