BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

09-03-2021, 11:38 AM   #23
Takummie
Enlisted Member
Japan
Rep
Drives: E93 335i N55 DCT M Sport

Thank you!
Yeah I guess I should take a look at the insides and we’ll start from there. I’m now waiting for a mirror with FLA from overseas and I guess I maybe able to forge the camera and wiring into my original mirror.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 03:22 PM   #24
Irineu07
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D ED

fla mirror 9052726000

Hello guys,
Trying to figure out pinout of my new mirror, some pictures below:
https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...OfJD59GYBiNTEV
I have 2 connectors:
- one with 10 pins (only 6 filled);
- other with 9 pins (all filled).
As far i can see, outiside black connector has 4 wires:
- pin 3 (RED) from black outside connect goes to pin 1 white connector with 10 pins (second picture from link, from left to right);
- pin 5 (WIHTE with BLACK) from black outside connect goes to pin 2 (same interior connector with 10 pins);
- pin 9 (BLUE) from black outside connect goes to pin 7;
- pin 10 (BROWN) from black outside connect goes to pin 3.
There are 2 more pins wich goes to outside the mirroE into a black connect with 3 pins (only 2 pins filled - CAN BUS).
2 years ago i retrofited 1st gen fla, without trouble.
Today i fitted 2nd gen fla, but only alarm led blinking.
It's a simple autodimming mirror with fla and alarm led.
I've got the mirror from a f10 2012, part number: 9052726000

Thank for your help in advice!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 06:22 PM   #25
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irineu07 View Post
Hello guys,
Trying to figure out pinout of my new mirror, some pictures below:
https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...OfJD59GYBiNTEV
I have 2 connectors:
- one with 10 pins (only 6 filled);
- other with 9 pins (all filled).
As far i can see, outiside black connector has 4 wires:
- pin 3 (RED) from black outside connect goes to pin 1 white connector with 10 pins (second picture from link, from left to right);
- pin 5 (WIHTE with BLACK) from black outside connect goes to pin 2 (same interior connector with 10 pins);
- pin 9 (BLUE) from black outside connect goes to pin 7;
- pin 10 (BROWN) from black outside connect goes to pin 3.
There are 2 more pins wich goes to outside the mirroE into a black connect with 3 pins (only 2 pins filled - CAN BUS).
2 years ago i retrofited 1st gen fla, without trouble.
Today i fitted 2nd gen fla, but only alarm led blinking.
It's a simple autodimming mirror with fla and alarm led.
I've got the mirror from a f10 2012, part number: 9052726000

Thank for your help in advice!
Hey. I am not sure F series will work on E series. I have bought 2xE84 Gen2 mirror to retrofit on my E93 since i have CA on my original one. On my experience no matter what i done, side mirrors dims 20% all the time with my FLA mirror. And there is no way to get around since i have to have CA remote controller board working with it. I have tried E63 mirror as well.

F series uses Canbus2 system i wonder if anything to do with it. I have also got little bit advance on this mirror retrofit and i was able to just swap the GEN2 sensor on a Gen1 mirror, and it worked without an issue. But it was a job since the plugs are completely different.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 07:24 PM   #26
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I wonder if this functionality can be retrofitted to a non-iDrive E90 2011...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 11:01 PM   #27
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I wonder if this functionality can be retrofitted to a non-iDrive E90 2011...
It should be buddy, i dont see why not. Idrive only gives and option to activate or deactivate. If there is no idrive then option should be activated thru coding and the stalk can turn on/off for the HBA.
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 01-17-2022 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 01:12 AM   #28
Irineu07
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
Hey. I am not sure F series will work on E series. I have bought 2xE84 Gen2 mirror to retrofit on my E93 since i have CA on my original one. On my experience no matter what i done, side mirrors dims 20% all the time with my FLA mirror. And there is no way to get around since i have to have CA remote controller board working with it. I have tried E63 mirror as well.

F series uses Canbus2 system i wonder if anything to do with it. I have also got little bit advance on this mirror retrofit and i was able to just swap the GEN2 sensor on a Gen1 mirror, and it worked without an issue. But it was a job since the plugs are completely different.
Compared side by side the connector WHITE with 9 pins: they are identical.
It's ok to use my old mirror mother board and just swap the camera?
LE:
Attached Images

Last edited by Irineu07; 01-13-2022 at 01:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 04:24 PM   #29
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

Quote:
Hello guys,

I decided to do FLA/High Beam Assist on my E93 M3. And after countless of hour research and experience, i ve finally done this project and extremely happy to share with the family

E93 unlike any other E series everything has its unique creation. You realize that only when you own one As unique as it is modules and its locations also may vary depending on the places.

Since we have Convertible top, the universal radio remote control unit can not be installed in the rear window just in case your top position is down.

So they have installed this unit inside of the mirror. So if you get pissed at any e93 guy. Just remove his mirror while the car is parked. That will be the most nightmare he can experience

So i got 2014 e71 X6 interior mirror that has Compass/Dim/Homelink/Alarm/FLA (Gen2)

The FLA sensors are introduced with gen 1 which is rectangular and also gen2 which is circular. :

Gen 1

Gen 2

Gen 1 is well known with little late responses and something acting up. Gen 2 is sharp like a Soldier. Always ready.

So i was happy i got the latest one. I first removed my mirror and installed the X6 one directly to my car and i lost Comfort Access immediately. Then i decided to open the mirrors to see what is going on.

I will also tell you this. This is the First E93 FLA DIY in the world. I don't care someone has done it before me or not. NO ONE documented at ALL.

So when i opened the mirrors i saw couple differences. FIRST of all the guys who has done the FLA on e90/92s are LUCKY. You do not need to deal anything like this other than finding yourself a CANBUS point to run intertwined cable to this 2 pin connector outside of the mirror since you do not have Key Fob radio signal board in it.

So i thought FLA module only works with Canbus cables since everyone just plugging this 2 cable on E9x series. Well that wasn't the case for me.

As soon as i opened the new mirror i realized that FLA module has 9 pin connector on the mirror board that comes from the module. So without the connector you cant use your FLA. So because my old mirror did not have the FLA, i had to use new mirror board to do the project. But it is not as simple as you think.

The reason is, My old mirror has the same exact 10 pin plug outside of the mirror that connects to car wiring harness. When you compare the new mirror and my old one, you see that Old one has 9 pin filled since new one has only 6 pin filled.

one of the main reason my older one has more pins is because of Universal Key Fob Board runs with 6 pin socket (5 pin inserted).

And 4 pin comes directly from this 10 pin socket outside of the mirror.

So the theory is so simple. You remove that 4 pin from your old mirror's black 10 pin connector by noting their location. And inserting them to the same pins on the new plug so you will only need to figure out where to put the 5th one which i will also tell you later.

This is the 6 pin connector (Remote Control Board)

This is the 10 pin connector from old mirror

This is the 10 pin connector on the new mirror

This is the 9 Pin FLA connector in the new mirror

So why i spent countless hours?

First of all i removed all the pins from the white plugs to remove the wiring harnesses. Then i put my old wiring harness to new mirror and thought if i use the same location like my old one i can use all the features since car built in with this features with the order of this pinouts.

Well i am like okay my older 10 pin white plug uses the pin 10 that comes from the pin 5 of the black connector outside. Then if this is the case i should use the same cable on the pin 10 on the new mirror's white plug just like my old one. Well that was a terrible experience. Caused my EDC module to be malfunctioned. I realized that after i put all the cables back in their original position by removing all the pins again and again on the new mirror and installing to my old mirror just like came from factory and my car still wasn't recognizing the key.

Then i checked the EDC fuse and it was blown. So at this point i was about to give up.

Then i rethink everything and i said. Let me use the New mirrors plug instead of me removing my old plug from the old mirror. I used same exact wiring order that came from the x6. Did not change a single one.

But the issue here is, You need to put your Key Fob remote board 5 cable in the same exact order on the new mirror plug.

As i mention earlier, New Black 10 pin connector outside of the mirror came with 6 pin . So there is 4 empty slot there. But the confusion is, 2 of the pins that you need to use for the keyfob is taken by the new mirrors cable. But the other 2 can be placed to the empty area.

Instead of removing the pins on the new mirror, what i did is, the cable that came out from my old mirror for the keyfob, i plug them to the 6 pin white plug in the order of the picture you see above then I find out before i removed from the old black connector which color of cables goes to which pin just like above :

So the Pin 1 Yellow on the 6pin plug (Key Fob Board) goes to Pin 7 on the black 10 pin socket

Pin 2 Black and Red ( This is the most annoying cable. This cable is the 5th one not coming from the outside black connector . This one inserted to pin 9 on the older 10 pin white plug inside of the mirror as a parallel cable and my failing point was this cable. Because in theory if you can use the same exact pins and route them to the key fob board there is no way it wont work. But because of this 5th cable was going pin 9th on the old mirror's white 10 pin plug, i first did a Y cable from the 9th cable (on mew mirrors white plug) since on the new mirror the pin 9 was taken by a black cable that goes to outside 10 pin plug and this didnt work. So what i did at this point is TRY all the PINS to make it work AND YES Pin 4 on the white 10 pin plug inside of the mirror completes the circuit for the keyfob and DONE.

Pin 3 Purple Goes to Pin 9 on the black connector (taken so just Make a Y cable inside of the mirror using the purple cable on pin 9 cable that comes from the new black plug )

Pin 4 Red/White goes to Pin 8 on the black connector (taken, Make a Y cable inside of the mirror and wire to the pin 8 that is taken on the new plug)

Pin 5 Blue, goes to Pin 2 (Empty just put it on black connector)

As i mention the old black socket on the outside of my old mirror came with 9 pin. only 1 pin was empty. On the new plug even tho i put all 4 additional Key Fob cables (2 cable goes to empty pin of 2 and 7) and other 2 uses the same wires that is attached to the 10 pin white connector.

New Connector came with 6 pin + you used 2 additional empty ones for the board = 8 pin. 1 pin is missing on the new one. So i remove the Pin 1 the one was missing and add to the new socket JUST IN CASE. because you will realize one thing when you do this job, remove the pins and re routing the cables from outside to the inside of the mirror is pain in the butt. I taped the pins with paper tape and used fishing line to pull them carefully from outside to the inside of the mirror. So when you realize how annoying it is, you wanna do everything JUST in case not to deal with it anymore and i swap this cables about 10 times to figure this issue so you do not understand how lucky you are to have this here written, maybe you do

So i plugged that additional pin 1 cable on the 10 pin white connector to the only empty place left was pin 2. But that did not help anything and i think caused my mirror to stay dim all the time (i cant hundered percent tell it is but i removed after ahwile since it doesnt impact anything).

My mirror dims if you put flashlight to the sensor on the top of mirror side and undims when i put the same flash light on the back of the mirror.

But what i notice is when i drive night time the mirror has slightly tinted even tho there is no car behind. I may have to do more research on that but it is functioning without any issue.

The 10 pin white plug will look like this :

Here is all the other helpful pictures :

I used tape on the mirror in between testing period cuz it is hard to remove the mirror frame to reach out the board behind. Just tape the both side and try, if everything is working properly you can put everything back together and install the mirror back in place.

Another physical thing you have to do is find a can bus cable and plug into the 2 pin plug that is next to the 10 pin black connector.

I told seller to cut the car's factory harness and include all plugs that is attached to the car so that way i had canbus cable with the female plug already came with.

I dropped the light panel on the windshield area :

And luckily i saw the canbus cable. That makes this cabling like 2 minute job. Because before this i had a spare canbus cable that was under the foot well ( which came for the TRSVC module but i ended up not using that one so it was already in the canbus system waiting for the future project. And from passenger footwell area to mirror, I couldnt easily run the cable. You need to remove many panels for that. But because of this light, you just need a short intertwined cable and run to the FLA module. And you are all set as far as hardware goes.

Let's do the coding. You need to go to VO and FA Write $5AC to CAS/NFRM then default code your KOMBI, FRM and CIC.

If you have custom coded FRM + CIC + KOMBI save the trace file and compare with the default coded ones using the WinMerge software. And simply change the values on the old coded files and write the old ones back to the module with NCSExpert. SO you will have it all.

As far as i noted here is the values :

FRM MODULE :

FL_ASSIST_ENABLE aktiv

FL_ASSIST_FUNKTIONS_ANZ aktiv

FL_AUS_BEI_BIX_IN_S_FLC aktiv

FL_ASSIST_ZUST_22_32

CIC

HIGH BEAM ASSIST aktiv

KOMBI :

FLA -- active

After this process done. You now have FLA in your ECU menu. You can see this on the ISTA or NCSExpert or INPA.

Simply go back to NCSExpert and default code your FLA module. And you will be done with the procedure. (After default coded, FLA seeing the Convertible under the parameters)

I went ahead and reset the FLA module on ISTA. That reset all the settings and Compass also switch to Calibration Mode.

If you see your compass get this letter C in the mirror, that stands for Calibration. Go and drive the car about one or two miles. It will correct the direction. And you will be done with the project.

Before

After :

Then you will now see High Beam Assist Under the CIC/ Settings / Lighting Menu :

High Beam Assist ---> Tick the box.

Turn the headlight switch to Auto then push the high beam stalk forward once and you will now see a little icon on the kombi has the high beam icon with A.

It showed at the very first time on the top like a big icon then a little icon on the bottom screen right top corner :

And you are DONE :

Here is the video after the project done :

I did this on an e92 years ago, and it was super easy.

Just want to commend you for persevering through the e93 mess and then taking the time to write it all up.

Glad it worked out!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 06:31 PM   #30
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Traveler View Post

Just want to commend you for persevering through the e93 mess and then taking the time to write it all up.

Glad it worked out!
Bro E92 platform way more easier than E93 on any aspect. Plus it is PnP on E92. At the end only one issue always be there on E93 is the side mirrors will dim 20% all time but still functions.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 12:28 AM   #31
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Traveler View Post

Glad it worked out!
Bro E92 platform way more easier than E93 on any aspect. Plus it is PnP on E92. At the end only one issue always be there on E93 is the side mirrors will dim 20% all time but still functions.
You're amazing! Kudos
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia984.50
      01-14-2022, 06:41 PM   #32
StAndrews607
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, E84 X1

I want to thank you Sangria for the amazing guide you put together for this. As it turns out, E89 Z4's are just like E93's in terms of needing the radio receiver in the mirror.

I was able to pick through your guide and put together a mirror for my Z4 and literally just got done installing it about an hour ago.

I actually didn't just come here to thank you though. I came here, made an account on purpose, and wanted to add more information to hopefully help others like you did here.

I wanted to just take a moment to label all of the pins for the 2 white connectors, the fob and the 1 black connector. I spent time looking through Ista so I could figure out what the wiring diagram was for the black connector. BMW is so efficient, they seem to use the same pin diagram across all E8X series vehicles.

The black connector pinout will always be this:

Pin 1: Reversing Light Signal
Pin 2: CAS <----> Pin 5 key Fob
Pin 3: Supply T15
Pin 4: Electrochromatic mirror
Pin 5: Electrochromatic mirror
Pin 6: Empty
Pin 7: CA <----> Pin 1 key Fob
Pin 8: Supply T30 <----> Pin 4 Vbat key Fob
Pin 9: LED <----> Pin 3 LED Signal key Fob
Pin 10: Ground

The fob pin out is this:

Pin 1 (CA Signal) <----> Pin 7 (Blk Connector)
Pin 2 <----> Pin 4 on white connector. (my guess for this is it's a ground wire)
Pin 3 (LED) <----> Pin 9 (Blk Connector)
Pin 4 (Voltage) <----> Pin 8 (Blk Connector)
Pin 5 (CAS Signal) <----> Pin 2 (Blk Connector)

FLA White Connector:

Pin 1: Red - Supply T15
Pin 2: Reversing Light Signal
Pin 3: Brown - Ground
Pin 4: <----> Pin 2 FBD Fob
Pin 5: Yellow - CAN High
Pin 6: Green - CAN Low
Pin 7: Blue - LED
Pin 8: White - Electrochromatic mirror
Pin 9: Black - Electrochromatic mirror
Pin 10: Orange - Supply T30

Non-FLA White Connector:

Pin 1: Empty
Pin 2: Empty
Pin 3: Empty
Pin 4: Gray - Reversing Light Signal
Pin 5: Red - Supply T15
Pin 6: White - Electrochromatic mirror
Pin 7: Black - Electrochromatic mirror
Pin 8: Empty
Pin 9: Black/Red - Key Fob
Pin 10: Brown - Ground

One thing I'd like to note, I did not end up running into the 20% dim issue you did. Everything is running without issue on my Z4.

One thing I realized is that the key fob board has an LED diode board attached to it, with this being the case, I didn't splice the LED wire, I just connected the wire to the LED pin position on the black connector from the fob board. I've observed no issue assembling the mirror this way and it works great.

On a different note, thank you for going down the rabbit hole with the combox retrofit. Sucks the BMW decided to cut all these cars off that can legitimately use the 4g link. I retrofitted a combox into my Z4 just so I could at the very least get bluetooth functionality.

Also thanks to you, I'm half way through the process of installing the OEM backup camera retrofit you wrote a guide for. I had already installed PDC on it myself so when I came across your guide for the backup cam I decided to give that a go. Got my X1 PDC module, got a trsvc module, had to also install a JBE 3R module like you did. Just waiting for some time tomorrow to test the camera out and make sure it works.

Thank you for your contributions and your endless curiosity good sir!

Last edited by StAndrews607; 01-14-2022 at 06:58 PM..
Appreciate 3
SaNGRia984.50
derbo3605.50
      01-14-2022, 10:51 PM   #33
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrews607 View Post
I want to thank you Sangria for the amazing guide you put together for this. As it turns out, E89 Z4's are just like E93's in terms of needing the radio receiver in the mirror.

I was able to pick through your guide and put together a mirror for my Z4 and literally just got done installing it about an hour ago.

I actually didn't just come here to thank you though. I came here, made an account on purpose, and wanted to add more information to hopefully help others like you did here.

I wanted to just take a moment to label all of the pins for the 2 white connectors, the fob and the 1 black connector. I spent time looking through Ista so I could figure out what the wiring diagram was for the black connector. BMW is so efficient, they seem to use the same pin diagram across all E8X series vehicles.

The black connector pinout will always be this:

Pin 1: Reversing Light Signal
Pin 2: CAS <----> Pin 5 key Fob
Pin 3: Supply T15
Pin 4: Electrochromatic mirror
Pin 5: Electrochromatic mirror
Pin 6: Empty
Pin 7: CA <----> Pin 1 key Fob
Pin 8: Supply T30 <----> Pin 4 Vbat key Fob
Pin 9: LED <----> Pin 3 LED Signal key Fob
Pin 10: Ground

The fob pin out is this:

Pin 1 (CA Signal) <----> Pin 7 (Blk Connector)
Pin 2 <----> Pin 4 on white connector. (my guess for this is it's a ground wire)
Pin 3 (LED) <----> Pin 9 (Blk Connector)
Pin 4 (Voltage) <----> Pin 8 (Blk Connector)
Pin 5 (CAS Signal) <----> Pin 2 (Blk Connector)

FLA White Connector:

Pin 1: Red - Supply T15
Pin 2: Reversing Light Signal
Pin 3: Brown - Ground
Pin 4: <----> Pin 2 FBD Fob
Pin 5: Yellow - CAN High
Pin 6: Green - CAN Low
Pin 7: Blue - LED
Pin 8: White - Electrochromatic mirror
Pin 9: Black - Electrochromatic mirror
Pin 10: Orange - Supply T30

Non-FLA White Connector:

Pin 1: Empty
Pin 2: Empty
Pin 3: Empty
Pin 4: Gray - Reversing Light Signal
Pin 5: Red - Supply T15
Pin 6: White - Electrochromatic mirror
Pin 7: Black - Electrochromatic mirror
Pin 8: Empty
Pin 9: Black/Red - Key Fob
Pin 10: Brown - Ground

One thing I'd like to note, I did not end up running into the 20% dim issue you did. Everything is running without issue on my Z4.

One thing I realized is that the key fob board has an LED diode board attached to it, with this being the case, I didn't splice the LED wire, I just connected the wire to the LED pin position on the black connector from the fob board. I've observed no issue assembling the mirror this way and it works great.

On a different note, thank you for going down the rabbit hole with the combox retrofit. Sucks the BMW decided to cut all these cars off that can legitimately use the 4g link. I retrofitted a combox into my Z4 just so I could at the very least get bluetooth functionality.

Also thanks to you, I'm half way through the process of installing the OEM backup camera retrofit you wrote a guide for. I had already installed PDC on it myself so when I came across your guide for the backup cam I decided to give that a go. Got my X1 PDC module, got a trsvc module, had to also install a JBE 3R module like you did. Just waiting for some time tomorrow to test the camera out and make sure it works.

Thank you for your contributions and your endless curiosity good sir!
This is awesome. That is why i am here and why i love people like you. Appreciated this very detailed message for us all.

I have tried many things to get rid off diming issue, but i couldnt. I wonder there is something to do with ur led wiring. I at the end coded out the mirror diming not to cause any yellow layer on my mirrors. We might compare the pinouts maybe u did solve the issue. Or u r just luck that ur side mirrors works with the existing rear view mirror

I have tried everything, even emailed back and fort with CEO of NA BMW, did not help.

OEM camera will be great. It also works without JBE3 but you can not code the TRSVC. You really dont need to code anyway.

What i also found out is, Before ICOM was required to read the TRSVC. Well i tried with BimmerGeek pro cable, you can read and code the module with that.

Thank you again. Appreciated your effort!
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 1
derbo3605.50
      01-19-2022, 07:29 PM   #34
StAndrews607
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, E84 X1

JBE 3R module was super easy to install and default code. Though you are right, technically don't need it, I just wanted Ista to look all green with no red modules lol I think I saw you wrote that somewhere in the OEM Cam thread too. Luckily I have gotten all this way without having to get an icom. I might consider doing it especially since I can use it with any future BMW's I get.

I'm pretty much doing the same thing you did. If there's an option I can add, I'm going to do it just for the fun of it.

Some after thoughts I did have though regarding the FLA project. I noticed that Terminal 30 is not connected to the mirror board on the old non-FLA mirror. I'm wondering if you could actually skip splicing this one too. It would be worth a try for anyone in the future just to see if it works. I already put the front trim back on my mirror and there's no way in hell I'm pulling that apart again lol

As for your dimming issue, my bet is that it's got to be something to do with your Electrochromatic mirror wires. If you're up for trying it, I'd say look into where those are plugged in and make sure they follow the pinout above.

The LED wire seems to be pretty much only for if you have the DWA alarm and visual confirmation when you hit lock or unlock on the key fob. I have an X1 coincidentally as well so I was able to roughly compare between the 2 and noticed that when I pressed any button on the fob it seemed to trigger an LED flash on the X1.

My OEM cam project is going well so far, thanks to already having an X1. I had to actually use the X1 to test my TRSVC module I got. Turns out the TRSVC I bought was dead on arrival. At first I thought I was doing something wrong but alas, turned out to be bad hardware. Oh well, back to eBay I go to find another one.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 09:55 PM   #35
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrews607 View Post
JBE 3R module was super easy to install and default code. Though you are right, technically don't need it, I just wanted Ista to look all green with no red modules lol I think I saw you wrote that somewhere in the OEM Cam thread too. Luckily I have gotten all this way without having to get an icom. I might consider doing it especially since I can use it with any future BMW's I get.

I'm pretty much doing the same thing you did. If there's an option I can add, I'm going to do it just for the fun of it.

Some after thoughts I did have though regarding the FLA project. I noticed that Terminal 30 is not connected to the mirror board on the old non-FLA mirror. I'm wondering if you could actually skip splicing this one too. It would be worth a try for anyone in the future just to see if it works. I already put the front trim back on my mirror and there's no way in hell I'm pulling that apart again lol

As for your dimming issue, my bet is that it's got to be something to do with your Electrochromatic mirror wires. If you're up for trying it, I'd say look into where those are plugged in and make sure they follow the pinout above.

The LED wire seems to be pretty much only for if you have the DWA alarm and visual confirmation when you hit lock or unlock on the key fob. I have an X1 coincidentally as well so I was able to roughly compare between the 2 and noticed that when I pressed any button on the fob it seemed to trigger an LED flash on the X1.

My OEM cam project is going well so far, thanks to already having an X1. I had to actually use the X1 to test my TRSVC module I got. Turns out the TRSVC I bought was dead on arrival. At first I thought I was doing something wrong but alas, turned out to be bad hardware. Oh well, back to eBay I go to find another one.
Great. I am glad you were able to test the TRSVC on your x1. I have a bench so i can test pretty much anything on E,F,G

Which pin 10 are we talking bout for T30? Let say this mirror never retrofitted and i am buying for E84. So when you that, the black plug that goes to outer of mirror contains only 6 pin. And 10th pin which shows T30 never was there. As far as i remember pin1-6 was used.

Then when i looked at my OEM mirror, the outer plug contains 9 pin in it and the only pin 10 was empty i think i gotta double check this.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 10:22 PM   #36
Takummie
Enlisted Member
Japan
Rep
Drives: E93 335i N55 DCT M Sport

Hi!!! Remember me? That guys with a unique Japanese mirror. I'm here with an update on the project, thinking I maybe able to put a smile on everyone's face with this sketchy approach.
Story is, my Japanese E93 mirror consists even 2 more components: VICS receiver board and ETC module. VICS is a Japanese road infrastructrue that provides you real time traffic information without internet connection, and ETC is a credit card reader and transmitter for toll-gate. These additional components make the mirror to be EXTRA bulky, rendering it impossible for FLA camera to fit, hence the reason why FLA was never offered in Japan.
The main board is also very different, so I am stuck with my unique board since I don't want to lose either feature. However, I thought maybe I can just add the FLA mirror board into the K-CAN bus and make it a piggy back...
And voila! It actually works! All I had to do was making a nice splitter to get +12V, GND, K-CAN High and K-CAN Low from FZD (Function Control Center, Roof). I used OEM 4-pin coupler and crimp pins for this job. All other wires that were used to talk to FZD can just be removed.
I assume the reason why this works is because FLA module is an electronically independent module on the circuit board (which is actually shown in ISTA wiring diagram), and all other components on the board can just be neglected.
Now I just need to extend all the wires, tuck that new piggyback board somewhere (I'm thinking behind A-piller) and 3D print a bracket for the camera.

Take 4 wire from this:

To feed this:

I assume that frame in the diagram shows FLA component is electronically independent. The diagram here has wrong pin assignment regarding the mirror I actually got, but BMW always use red for +12V and brown for GND so that was easy to figure out.
Retrofit $541 $620 $644 $6FL $6VC $8TL $8TN

Last edited by Takummie; 04-04-2022 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 11:17 PM   #37
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Can you share pictures directly, they are not visible on my end!
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 01:33 PM   #38
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

Sangria,

Thanks for doing this, it has given me the confidence to do something similar although mine is a much simpler job.

I have a homelink gentex mirror that was in my E46 but fits the E93. It’s a euro version since I’m in london.

My E93 has comfort access and FLA and is a 2008 car.

I’m intending to use the homelink module and back half of my existing mirror and mate it to the remainder of my OEM mirror - it looks like it just needs 12V so I was planning to figure out which pins they would be by connecting it whilst the mirror is split and testing with a voltmeter.

Should be easy.

My question is this, in view of what you’ve said about gen1 be gen2 FLA, can I simply buy a gen2 FLA mirror and just move the sensor across using the same plugs - that’s assuming it is plugged in and not hard wired to the ten pin black connector?

I’m afraid of over complicating things because a) I don’t want to mess with the comfort access as I know how temperamental it can be and b) because I’m reality I may never use FLA anyway.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Adam
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 02:59 PM   #39
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam M View Post
Sangria,

My question is this, in view of what you’ve said about gen1 be gen2 FLA, can I simply buy a gen2 FLA mirror and just move the sensor across using the same plugs - that’s assuming it is plugged in and not hard wired to the ten pin black connector?

Adam
You re welcome. I have bought 3 FLA mirror , 1 of them was Gen1 came out from E63 and that didnt have compass. and 2 of them from E84 including everything in it. E63 was PnP. but that made 20% dimming on my side mirrors. Then as an experimental, i removed one of my gen2 sensor and try to upgrade the gen1 on E63 mirror. Everything is same except the plug. You need to swap the plug that is connected on external board right on the pcb of sensor. and after the swap you will have gen2 sensor : )

i never figured out the dimming issue but someone here gave a possible solution so i will look into later. Good luck!
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 03:23 PM   #40
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep

Not comfortable pcb soldering.

Any chance you’d be willing to build one up and sell it to me?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 09:01 PM   #41
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Sangria,

Thanks for doing this, it has given me the confidence to do something similar although mine is a much simpler job.

I have a homelink gentex mirror that was in my E46 but fits the E93. It’s a euro version since I’m in london.

My E93 has comfort access and FLA and is a 2008 car.

I’m intending to use the homelink module and back half of my existing mirror and mate it to the remainder of my OEM mirror - it looks like it just needs 12V so I was planning to figure out which pins they would be by connecting it whilst the mirror is split and testing with a voltmeter.

Should be easy.

I’m afraid of over complicating things because a) I don’t want to mess with the comfort access as I know how temperamental it can be and b) because I’m reality I may never use FLA anyway.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Adam
Quote:
Not comfortable pcb soldering.

Any chance you’d be willing to build one up and sell it to me?
no no soldering. the plug has about 6 pins. u need to remove each pin and put them on gen 2 plug. Even the colors were same if i remember correctly.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 11:21 PM   #42
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep

Ok, so buy gen 2 mirror - preferably from E63. Take out FLA sensor and insert into my OEM mirror (will it fit oem gen 1 housing? ), remove plug from my gen 1 sensor and install on gen 2 sensor so it can just connect to the rest of the mirror?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 01:09 PM   #43
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ok, so buy gen 2 mirror - preferably from E63. Take out FLA sensor and insert into my OEM mirror (will it fit oem gen 1 housing? ), remove plug from my gen 1 sensor and install on gen 2 sensor so it can just connect to the rest of the mirror?
E63 doesnt have Gen 2 sensor. Buy from X1. Eveything will work.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 03:27 AM   #44
Xantor_
Wannabe Coder
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 335is [6 MT] & V70R

Garage List
I wanted to clarify some information by providing extra details since I just finished this Retrofit yesterday.

I had a hard time understanding where everything goes so here's a small yet detailed explanation.

You only have to splice one cable as well. This way I didn't encounter any dimming issues. More info at the very end of this post.

From the Original E93 mirror you only want to part out the following things:

- Yellow Cable from Black 10 Pin plug that connects the mirror to the car
- Black/Red cable from 5 Pin Plug which goes to the white 10 Pin Plug
- Blue cable from black 10 pin plug
- Red/White cable from the 5 pin antenna plug
- 5 pin connector plug for the Antenna
- the antenna itself
- (optional) the mounting hardware for the antenna. this holds the antenna in place on the new FLA mirror.

The next step is to transfer everything.

Removing the Antenna is pretty straightfoward. Just remove 5 T15 Torx screws and transfer the antenna to the new to you FLA mirror.

- Add the removed yellow cable to the Black 10 Pin plug from the FLA mirror. It needs to be in Pin 7, which is unused on the FLA mirror, so pretty easy.

- Add the removed Blue cable to the Black 10 Pin plug from the FLA mirror.
It needs to be in Pin 2, which is ALSO unnused on the FLA mirror.

That's everything for the Black plug, now you want to pull the 2 additional wires through the cable tunnel. This can be time consuming but take your time and don't use big force.

Next up is the 5 pin antenna connector:

- Add the yellow cable that you just installed to PIN 1 on the antenna plug
- Add the Black/Red cable to PIN 2, this will plug into the 10 Pin White plug on PIN 7. IMPORTANT: Sangria accidentally counted backwards. There's a a small arrow on the back of the 10 pin white plug which indicates Pin1. Correct Pin1 is the ORANGE cable. So place the black/red between the yellow and brown cable.
- Remove the Purple cable from the 10 Pin white plug and insert it into PIN 3 on the antenna plug.
- Insert the red/white cable to PIN4. This will need to be spliced into Pin1 (ORANGE Cable) from the 10 Pin white Plug.
- Insert the Blue cable that you just installed on Pin 2 on the black connector to Antenna pin 5.

Antenna plug is finished now.

Finally we need to make some changes to the 10 Pin White plug

Like I mentioned before you only remove the purple plug,
splice the Orange Pin1 cable with the red/white cable from the antenna and
then finally just insert the black/red cable from the antenna to pin7. That't between the yellow and brown cable.

BTW: You don't touch the 9 Pin FLA plug at all! Just let it sit.

Finished plugs look like this:

Black 10 PIN plug (Pin 1-5)

Black 10 Pin plug (Pin 6-10)

White 10 Pin plug:

5 Pin antenna plug:

finished mirror:

Now you only need to code it like SaNGRia mentioned.

DONE!

Thanks to SaNGRia for sharing your knowledge with us.

Again this is not any critic, it's just an addition for newbies like me.

INFO: I talked to Sangria yesterday and it seems that the dimming issues apply to all M3 cars. My car is a 335is E93 and I didn't encounter any dimming issues. We both shared our plugs and we have the same pinout.

Last edited by Xantor_; 02-22-2023 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: pinout wrong
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia984.50