BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

GetBMWParts

09-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #23
K-M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-M3 View Post
What deansbimmer said . When this happened in my car - first was for increased battery discharge, the other time was for state inspection overdue. Would not be a bad idea to see what codes can u pull from a regular OBD scanner OR the Carly app. Gives you at least an initial idea where to start.

Also, if your car runs and drives fine for let's say more than 30 mins to an hour, unlikely it's the alternator. Once running, all electrics are powered by the alternator and if the alternator is completely kaput, unlikely that the battery will be able to support all the electrics in this car for that long when running. Just my 2 cents but I am by no means a car expert OR a mechanic
My fault, seems I provided some poor info! I was just going off my personal experience dealing with similar symptoms.

The alternator could function fine one day, and not the next due to a faulty voltage regulator. Some days all would be good, other days I'd have to restart the car numerous times to get the alternator kicking.
It's extremely frustrating to deal with electrical gremlins. But at the same time, anything mechanical with this car is that much more exorbitant!!! I guess it's a no win situation if things start going wrong . Fortunately , it's at least a reasonably reliable and tested platform . And the forum support... that's invaluable. I haven't found any other forums (except maybe the concurs owners group for the C14) that are as helpful as this forum
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #24
ItsGary
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Had this happen to a family friends car, connected my CTEK charger and used the recondition mode on it. Hasn't come back for a few days now.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 06:51 PM   #25
JP10
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 MR M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-M3 View Post
It's extremely frustrating to deal with electrical gremlins. But at the same time, anything mechanical with this car is that much more exorbitant!!! I guess it's a no win situation if things start going wrong . Fortunately , it's at least a reasonably reliable and tested platform . And the forum support... that's invaluable. I haven't found any other forums (except maybe the concurs owners group for the C14) that are as helpful as this forum
Agreed this forum has literally saved me thousands of dollars since my purchase of this beast back in December. Without it I would've had to send my car out for diagnostics numerous times, as well as most likely paid shops to do the labor for these jobs because without the DIYs on here I wouldn't feel as comfortable digging into some of these jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serg87 View Post
I don't think you gave bad info. The battery needed to be replaced regardless. It was the original battery from 2011. I replaced it yesterday with a Duralast H8-AGM from Autozone and I plan on getting it coded and registered today. I'll have the shop see if any other codes come up. The warning light was gone after I installed the new battery last night. Hopefully that solved it.
Nice! And if you weren't aware you can code the battery in using carly, took just a few mins when I did it. Hopefully that clears everything up
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 11:10 PM   #26
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Visual inspection. Nothing more.
      09-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #27
serg87
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Agreed this forum has literally saved me thousands of dollars since my purchase of this beast back in December. Without it I would've had to send my car out for diagnostics numerous times, as well as most likely paid shops to do the labor for these jobs because without the DIYs on here I wouldn't feel as comfortable digging into some of these jobs.

Nice! And if you weren't aware you can code the battery in using carly, took just a few mins when I did it. Hopefully that clears everything up
Yes, I heard about carly but decided to take it to a local shop. My mechanic charged me $60 to code and register the battery. Total cost was $260 including the new battery. Better than the $600 the BMW dealer wanted to charge me. So far everything is good. No more warning light.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 07:36 PM   #28
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Glad you got it worked out!

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, aFe stage two airbox, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 08:44 PM   #29
JP10
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 MR M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by serg87 View Post
Yes, I heard about carly but decided to take it to a local shop. My mechanic charged me $60 to code and register the battery. Total cost was $260 including the new battery. Better than the $600 the BMW dealer wanted to charge me. So far everything is good. No more warning light.
$260, not bad at all!
Appreciate 0