BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

03-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #23
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
R&T test times

0-100
S5 12.1 sec
M3 9.5 sec

that's the end of it. The S5 ~= to the 335i (stock)
Let me fix this one sided balance of figures. The S5 has on more than one occasion posted 11.7s in the European magazines, though in EVO it's time was 12.1s, likewise the M3 has posted some incredible times but on average it's more like 10.5s (in Europe at least). So while the M3 still has a comfortable lead in the 0-100mph stakes and above this isn't the huge gap that you where reporting. Also if there is the slightest smell of rain then things are even stevens (at least on a standing start).

The M3 and S5 aren't rivals in the true sense but if you are looking for a coupe with a v8 engine and from a German brand then your options are limited to these and handful of Mercs. Plus there is a lot to like about the S5, it's interior, it's looks, it's low end noise and power, plus that £10K sitting in your back pocket. And remember that at 7/10 their respective differences are non existent which is as far as you can push both of these cars on the open road.

Like I said, there is a lot of like about the S5.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 01:01 PM   #24
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Let me fix this one sided balance of figures
+1. Specmanship always picks the best number for the car one supports and the worst for the car you want to dis. Typical. Hence the "More performance..." thread/database. Populate that with all the S5 figures, it would be great for all.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 08:04 AM   #25
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
In fact after checking I sold the M3's time short, it's truer average would be closer to 10.2s and not the 10.5s I originally stated.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #26
RealSanaii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008

Wait for the new B8 RS4 or the RS5. That'll compete with the M3. Hopefully, Audi doesn't mess up this time to price them ridiculously high.

M3 is a bargain compare to the RS4 or the S5 alike. S5 is too pricey for it's performance figures.
      03-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #27
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSanaii View Post
Wait for the new B8 RS4 or the RS5. That'll compete with the M3. Hopefully, Audi doesn't mess up this time to price them ridiculously high.

M3 is a bargain compare to the RS4 or the S5 alike. S5 is too pricey for it's performance figures.
This comment is all relative to where you live, the RS4 and S5 may have been too dear in the US but here in both Europe and the UK both cars match their respective BMW rivals very closely.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 03:22 AM   #28
OzCarfreak
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Merc / BMW /Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
i drove S5 when i had my 335. S5 felt like a camry. it was very wobbly. but interior is pure sex.

i dont see anyway S5 > M3 or the 335 unless u consider the 30,000 markup
dude stop thinking 0-100 times, other things matter to most people, even 1 sec faster , you would get owned by a good driver in an s5 lol
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 06:14 AM   #29
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
The S5 is about to gain a 7speed DSG gearbox so it will once again out accelerate the 335i (stock vs stock) but this time the gap will be bigger.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 06:41 AM   #30
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
The S5 is about to gain a 7speed DSG gearbox so it will once again out accelerate the 335i (stock vs stock) but this time the gap will be bigger.
Not sure if you've answered that before, but how's the S5's MT compared to the one found in the M3 (you drove already, I think)?

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #31
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Not sure if you've answered that before, but how's the S5's MT compared to the one found in the M3 (you drove already, I think)?

Best regards, south

The M3 is better, the S5 gearbox can not be rushed in the same way, possibly because of the quattro drive which may mean that DSG will benefit here more so than in the M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #32
southlight
Rep

Quote:
The M3 is better, the S5 gearbox can not be rushed in the same way, possibly because of the quattro drive which may mean that DSG will benefit here more so than in the M3.
Thanks, footie. So you'd prefer the DSG in an S/RS Audi to an MT?

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 10:45 AM   #33
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, footie. So you'd prefer the DSG in an S/RS Audi to an MT?

Best regards, south
Mate, I have spent the last 3months and countless posts stating that I don't prefer Dual Clutch systems and you for some unknown reason have either forgot this fact or are having a laugh.

In any answer................NO.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 10:53 AM   #34
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Mate, I have spent the last 3months and countless posts stating that I don't prefer Dual Clutch systems and you for some unknown reason have either forgot this fact or are having a laugh.

In any answer................NO.
I'm just wondering about the DSG promotion lately.
You're right, should have known that already, but I thought you might distinguish between BMW and Audi on that subject.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #35
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm just wondering about the DSG promotion lately.
You're right, should have known that already, but I thought you might distinguish between BMW and Audi on that subject.

Best regards, south
South mate, like many here I am waiting to see what DCT will be like. Who knows I might drive it and fall in love........................

NOT.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #36
southlight
Rep

OK, you passed the MT club test. /jk

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 09:07 PM   #37
Priaptor
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Boy am I lucky

As a person who swore that he would never drive another "performance" car again, I have been driving an Acura RL for the last 3 years having sold my Lotus Elise. I have owned countless Porsches, a Vanquish, a 355 Spyder, a Z8 (which by the way was my favorite), Mustang Shelby, Viper to name a few.

I decided that NO MORE sports cars! However, recently becoming self-employed and finding that a lease made more sense, I decided to get an S5. Since I waited too long, the one that was "reserved" for me was sold. On a whim, I went next door and there was a new M3, with just about every option, in red, sitting on floor, having just arrived and being cleaned on the showroom. The dealer recognized me from a prior purchase years ago of an X5, got me a great lease deal based on sticker and I drove the thing home.

Since I haven't driven a performance car for three years, I can only say-WOW. This thing is great. I now have 300 miles and am enjoying it more every day. It looks like I will be using that dusty Valentine once again.

The car came with 19" wheels and the handling is superb. The car is less fun without the M mode engage and I find it kind of a pain to drive unless it is engaged. Why disengage it?? Engaged, it reminds me of the old Porsche turbo boost that some deplored but I loved. The car is amazingly comfortable, the seats the best I have ever sat in, the stereo is great, but believe it or not the 2005 RL was better, the clutch very sweet. I do not find the isolation of the steering some have described. Quite to the contrary I feel every gravel pit on the road and love the feel. Maybe this has to do with those that were tested having 18" wheels instead of the 19"-can't say. But no complaints here.

My only regret is that IF I had a choice, I would have opted for the carbon fiber roof with no sunroof-but beggars can't be choosy.

While I still have that new car hype in me, I do believe this will take over the Z8 as the best car I have ever owned. The biggest disappointment by the way was my Vanquish-got it the first year made. The thing overheated three times in one month, despite it being "fixed" and I sold it almost as quick as I got it-that cost me as AM released the new and better DB within months of the Vanquish.

In any case, the new M3 is more than I had hoped for. I am sure glad that the dealer sold "my" S5.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 02:39 AM   #38
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

I drove an S5- nice car a little nicer than my 2001 M3. but I expect the 2008 M3 to be a LOT nicer!