BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-16-2016, 01:53 PM   #1
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

At what age did you feel different or older?

I've done some thinking recently as I come closer to 30 and look towards the future. I feel significantly older now than I did when I was 22, 23, 24 or even 25... 26 and 27 for were some sort of turning points for me when things weren't the same anymore. As I look towards 30, I think about everything changing... no longer joking around the same, being far more mature, not really going out much at all anymore and focusing more on finding a wife and settling down. I guess I am a bit scared because these may be the last bits for me to get it all out... any advice, tips or the like? From older individuals?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
My only advice is to not try to plan out who you think you should be. Be who you are. Enjoy it and let changes come naturally. Ideally, the things you choose to change are a reflection of changing priorities and not so much a sacrifice on the altar of being more "respectable" or mature. I am like 50% older than you are and I still joke around like an idiot. Yes, I am "settled down", have a wife and 2 awesome kids, but the changes were letting one thing go to do something else - not because I thought I SHOULD'T do that thing, but because I wanted something different. Follow your heart - follow your values - do what you believe will bring you happiness and fulfillment. Fuck growing up for the sake of it. Grow into the person you want to be - not the one you always thought you had to be. That is my advice.
Appreciate 5
      02-16-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl
My only advice is to not try to plan out who you think you should be. Be who you are. Enjoy it and let changes come naturally. Ideally, the things you choose to change are a reflection of changing priorities and not so much a sacrifice on the altar of being more "respectable" or mature. I am like 50% older than you are and I still joke around like an idiot. Yes, I am "settled down", have a wife and 2 awesome kids, but the changes were letting one thing go to do something else - not because I thought I SHOULD'T do that thing, but because I wanted something different. Follow your heart - follow your values - do what you believe will bring you happiness and fulfillment. Fuck growing up for the sake of it. Grow into the person you want to be - not the one you always thought you had to be. That is my advice.
I appreciate that man... i guess at times I feel like I am behind in some areas, ahead in others... its a bit overwhelming at times.
      02-16-2016, 02:20 PM   #4
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
I agree with this.. Il turn 30 in August. My fiance says I'm 15 and feels like she is engaged to a teenager, but wouldnt let me go for anything. Just let the changes come to you and don't chase after them. You will know what you feel is the right thing to do vs bad. Enjoy life, have fun, and don't be a miserable fuck that people can't stand
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 02:22 PM   #5
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Don't let the bastards get you down
John wayne

52, never married, no kids and happy as heck. I've never had a schematic or schedule that I thought was "the way"

Weeeeee!
      02-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #6
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

The only thing that makes me feel old is that my body is slower to recover from hard workouts.

And the fact that i'm beginning to realize my physical short comings before i injure myself. Not too long ago, i would always think i could still do the things i did 10 years ago without getting hurt. Now i think twice, really analyze it before giving it a go. Then i get hurt. lol

I still feel like i'm 20, if i'm in a car in which i can disable DSC, i'm getting sideways because it's fun. If i'm on a mountain bike, i'm looking for a way to launch off of something. If i'm wake boarding, i'm still going to try doing flips. If i'm skate boarding, i'm still going to do tricks. I still get excited about nights when i can eat cereal for dinner. Aside from my body taking longer to recover and heal, i'm anti-old.

Advice, find the woman that won't make you feel like a fuddy-duddy. Make sure she doesn't want you to be a fuddy-duddy. Don't act like a fuddy-duddy.
      02-16-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Can confirm.
      02-16-2016, 02:25 PM   #8
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
The only thing that makes me feel old is that my body is slower to recover from hard workouts.

And the fact that i'm beginning to realize my physical short comings before i injure myself. Not too long ago, i would always think i could still do the things i did 10 years ago without getting hurt. Now i think twice, really analyze it before giving it a go. Then i get hurt. lol

I still feel like i'm 20, if i'm in a car in which i can disable DSC, i'm getting sideways because it's fun. If i'm on a mountain bike, i'm looking for a way to launch off of something. If i'm wake boarding, i'm still going to try doing flips. If i'm skate boarding, i'm still going to do tricks. I still get excited about nights when i can eat cereal for dinner. Aside from my body taking longer to recover and heal, i'm anti-old.

Advice, find the woman that won't make you feel like a fuddy-duddy. Make sure she doesn't want you to be a fuddy-duddy. Don't act like a fuddy-duddy.

And, if we are being real about the physical part, I miraculously got shitty eyes when I turned 40. Didn't see THAT coming. (Well, I guess I wouldn't - of hell, you know what I mean.)
Appreciate 2
      02-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #9
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

I'm 36, was the class clown and still am the class clown.

Physically though it was at 30. Not right when I turned 30 but I remember getting ready in the morning one day and thinking when the hell did all this shit happen to my face? It wasn't gradual, sun spots, dried skin, wrinkles....overnight. Lol
      02-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #10
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

50 last year.

It actually only gets better.

But stuff does wear out. Shoulder surgery last year. Pain in the ass to climb off the floor to go get that tool you forgot.

But then you also have enough money to own a lift and you don't need to get on the floor!!!

Also realize that "Stuff" owns your ass. And it doesn't really make you happy. If you are buying stuff to be happy you need to re evaluate. It is what you do with the stuff that makes you happy.

Three great boys. Great wife. Great life. Wouldn't change much....

BTW I think about like what I guess would be me as a 27 year old today.

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 3
      02-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #11
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
50 last year.

But stuff does wear out. Shoulder surgery last year. Pain in the ass to climb off the floor to go get that tool you forgot.

But then you also have enough money to own a lift and you don't need to get on the floor!!!

Also realize that "Stuff" owns your ass. And it doesn't really make you happy. If you are buying stuff to be happy you need to re evaluate. It is what you do with the stuff that makes you happy.

^ This
Appreciate 2
      02-16-2016, 02:31 PM   #12
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
50 last year.

+1
I remember the days where i wouldn't let people even carry take out food in my car. I actually made a friend hold his take out food out the window as we drove home. NO ONE drove my car but me and i mean NO ONE!

Now, i'll throw the keys to just about anyone. Especially the friends i have that may never own or get to drive an M3, Porsche, Range Rover, etc... They are just cars and spreading the enjoyment of those cars to other people makes them even cooler.
      02-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #13
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Don't let the bastards get you down
John wayne

52, never married, no kids and happy as heck. I've never had a schematic or schedule that I thought was "the way"

Weeeeee!
Glad someone who took a different route and is happy chimed in. Goes to show that there is not one way. Cheers gonzo
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #14
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I saw skateboarding...

I was pretty dang good waaaaay back. Hopped on a friend of my nephews board at family do dad. I said "watch 4 360's"
Got around almost to the second, tailed out, ate the driveway, peeled off driveway, said later fellas, went and hid with the old people inside talking about the same crap as the last time I saw them.

I still want the adrenaline but the body makes me pay. Pins, plates, stitches and lots of bourbon.
      02-16-2016, 02:40 PM   #15
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I saw skateboarding...

I was pretty dang good waaaaay back. Hopped on a friend of my nephews board at family do dad. I said "watch 4 360's"
Got around almost to the second, tailed out, ate the driveway, peeled off driveway, said later fellas, went and hid with the old people inside talking about the same crap as the last time I saw them.

I still want the adrenaline but the body makes me pay. Pins, plates, stitches and lots of bourbon.
Are you pounding chicks left and right?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 02:42 PM   #16
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Chicks dig scars and x-rays of broken bones. lol
      02-16-2016, 02:50 PM   #17
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Honestly, no. The drive does lessen. I have some formers that love to go to dinner and...
Animal magnetism at a bar every now and then I guess.

I'll say this, I've got more movies in my head from my late teens to early thirties to keep me grinning in my wheelchair than I can even count.
I'm just starting but if I don't wake up tomorrow, I've had a freaking awesome life!

Edit:
My advice to younger people...
TURN OFF THE INTERNET AND GO MAKE MEMORIES

I didn't have the internet in college much less high school. I had a thing called a bicycle that took me to a thing called a library. That library thing was full of pretty girls.
Drops mic.

Last edited by gonzo; 02-16-2016 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 4
      02-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #18
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Honestly, no. The drive does lessen. I have some formers that love to go to dinner and...
Animal magnetism at a bar every now and then I guess.

I'll say this, I've got more movies in my head from my late teens to early thirties to keep me grinning in my wheelchair than I can even count.
I'm just starting but if I don't wake up tomorrow, I've had a freaking awesome life!

Edit:

I didn't have the internet in college much less high school. I had a thing called a bicycle that took me to a thing called a library. That library thing was full of pretty girls.
Drops mic.
One of my skater pals from back in the day and i were just talking about this yesterday. We were ranting about not having HD cam corders in our phones or even having phones when we were doing all of our crazy stuff. But as cool as it would be to have pictures and videos of the crazy shit we did, not having that instant, digital, connectivity that would have come with it is part of what made growing up in our generation awesome.

Don't get me wrong, i wish GoPros and phone cameras would have been around for documenting shit that people sometimes question whether or not i was capable of doing. But having no way of contacting us once we left the house was awesome. Pick up a phone, with a line attached to it. "Hey John, we're going to meet there at 2pm." John was there come hell or high water at 2pm. Cool how that worked back then. No text message at 1:59 from John saying he can't make it or was going to be late. (likely from wasting time on the internet) He was just there because if he didn't show up he'd fuck our whole day up and never be invited again.

I preferred the early business days as well. I remember when the fax paper only came in a roll. lol That was cutting edge tech at the time. "No he's not in the office at the moment, can i take a message?" And they expected a call back some time within the next 24 hours. NOT the next 24 seconds. Now i get a damn text message (before receiving the email) saying, i just left you a VM at your office and sent you an email. I NEED an answer NOW!!

Just wanna pull the plug and head to Belize with 1MOREMOD sometimes.
      02-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #19
atinybug
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i 6mt

I'm 35, most of my friends are around the same age and we all still act like we're 25. The only time we feel old is when we're around actual 25 year olds.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 03:55 PM   #20
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atinybug View Post
I'm 35, most of my friends are around the same age and we all still act like we're 25. The only time we feel old is when we're around actual 25 year olds.
That's when it hits but then we all start cracking up about it. Nothing changes.
      02-16-2016, 03:56 PM   #21
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Quote:
Edit:
This is what I'm doing. Not tied down to anyone, or anything for that matter, so while I'm young it's all about travel, embracing old hobbies, experiencing new hobbies, and just being who I am no matter who I meet.

I'd say the past real change of feeling was a year ago when the mindset really changed and got more on track and understood what was needed. A year later now I feel completely different than last year, so it's a constant change and being aware of surroundings and what the next move is. Not always in a tactical sense, but more so what can I do to assure that I'm getting the most out of life with my actions.
Appreciate 4
      02-16-2016, 04:06 PM   #22
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

32 here, not much older than you but I know what you are saying. I feel like a big kid with a lot more responsibilities. I try not to stress over things now worth stressing about. I believe that we only get old in our bodies and everything else tries to stay young; our minds, our hearts and our sense of humor. Though I know this is not always the case, I try to live this way. If we just get old, tired and are grumpy all the time, what kind of life would that be? Make the best of it and make changes accordingly. Take the path of least resistance to where you want to go. I am not saying to be lazy and do nothing, but live in the moment! Don't force things to happen when they weren't meant to be.

Last edited by Yessir; 02-16-2016 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0