BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

BPM

09-18-2019, 02:07 PM   #1
exVtekGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none yet

windshield replacement

so this just happened today. anyone have any recommendations for shop to do windshield replacement?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 05:45 AM   #2
M_Chronos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Virginia Glass.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 10:36 AM   #3
exVtekGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

any other recommendation?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 10:00 AM   #4
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

I did it with Safelite several times, went thru insurance

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #5
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

DONT USE SAFELITE if you plan to keep your car for any extended amount of time. They are notorious for doing shit work, and having rust issues around the windshield down the road.
      10-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #6
M_Chronos
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
DONT USE SAFELITE if you plan to keep your car for any extended amount of time. They are notorious for doing shit work, and having rust issues around the windshield down the road.
I am not a fan of bashing vendors. Soooo, I'll just quote others... particularly those who succinctly sum things up so well.

Have been using Virginia Glass for many years and have facilitated perhaps a hundred (or more?) glass replacements through them. You get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 09:16 AM   #7
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

go to D and V autobody. i took my svr, lambo there along with several other lambo's and ferraris (common prob with cracked windshield when following other lambos)

Also those windshield protectors wouldn't of helped that, i got all my cars covered primarly to protect from the salt/peppering but for rocks it went right through several of my cars. If you had it then insurance will also pay for it to be replaced as well.
      06-11-2020, 06:01 PM   #8
exVtekGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by novablackm3 View Post
go to D and V autobody. i took my svr, lambo there along with several other lambo's and ferraris (common prob with cracked windshield when following other lambos)

Also those windshield protectors wouldn't of helped that, i got all my cars covered primarly to protect from the salt/peppering but for rocks it went right through several of my cars. If you had it then insurance will also pay for it to be replaced as well.
i was considering going to bmw ffx since i have to get state inspection and emission done. anyone have any feedback?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 12:06 PM   #9
M_Chronos
Private First Class
Rep

If you want it done correctly use Virginia Glass.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #10
exVtekGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I ended up using Virginia glass. When I was calling around, they were the only one that actually bothered to look up the vin to get the exact glass needed. They also were the cheapest. I ended up getting oem glass which was about $350 more. The tech came, got it done in an hour and change. Result looks good, though i haven't driven it yet.

btw, i called d&v and they referred me to...... Safelite..:
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 05:07 PM   #11
ha9981
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i e90

So in Canada I heard that you can't get OEM (Sekurit or Pikington) glass anymore in North America.

What glass did you end up using?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 05:18 PM   #12
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha9981 View Post
So in Canada I heard that you can't get OEM (Sekurit or Pikington) glass anymore in North America.

Says who? More than likely the shop wanting to use shit Chinese glass from XYG or whatever the cheapest so they can mark up more on.

I am sure any of the local BMW dealer can sell you or any glass shop a genuine BMW windshield.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 05:22 PM   #13
ha9981
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
Quote:

Says who? More than likely the shop wanting to use shit Chinese glass from XYG or whatever the cheapest so they can mark up more on.

I am sure any of the local BMW dealer can sell you or any glass shop a genuine BMW windshield.
Oops. Let me clarify. OE BMW glass is available. Just OEM brands without the BMW logo isn't.

If OEM is available in the US please do share!! I'd pick it up.

It's about $500CAD for windshield glass from BMW here, wondering what you guys are paying in the US.

Last edited by ha9981; 06-30-2020 at 10:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 05:27 PM   #14
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Oops. Let me clarify. OE BMW glass is available. Just OEM brands without the BMW logo isn't.

If OEM is available in the US please do share!! I'd pick it up.

It's about $500CAD for windshield glass from BMW here, wondering what you guys are paying in the US.
I am in Canada and I have had no isses with glass shops getting Pikington or Sekurit windshields. but they always try to make stupid excuses saying "another brand is the same qulaity and we can get it quicker". All because they can profit more from the insurance claim from sourcing a cheaper alternative.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 05:44 PM   #15
exVtekGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I got oem Pikington with a bmw logo. was about $840 usd tax included. There are lots of conflicting info. Some say use oem only. some say oem is soft and no good. I got oem to ensure good fitment.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 07:15 PM   #16
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exVtekGuy View Post
I got oem Pikington with a bmw logo. was about $840 usd tax included. There are lots of conflicting info. Some say use oem only. some say oem is soft and no good. I got oem to ensure good fitment.
You have what is called a genuine BMW part. Below is the difference terms used.

Genuine
This is a product that we have sourced from the local dealer network and is the same part that the dealership would offer you to install on your car today. This part will come branded by the vehicle manufacturer (BMW, Volvo, Audi, etc.) and often at a premium cost. In nearly every instance the part inside the box will have been manufactured by one of their approved OE Suppliers such as Bosch, Hella, Mann, Lemforder, or many others. Genuine parts from FCP will be sourced from a dealer and in the car manufacturer’s packaging.

OE
This is the original part used by the vehicle manufacturer on the car when it left the factory and FCP recommends OE replacement as one of the best options for quality and price. The vehicle manufacturers (BMW, Volvo, etc.) do not manufacture many products themselves but rather they contract their Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM’s) to do so. The products that we list as OE are guaranteed to be the exact same part that was on your car when it left the assembly line. In some cases, they are even better quality than what is currently available in Genuine because over time some Genuine contracts get changed to save money. All of these parts will be stamped with the OEM’s brand name such as Bosch, Hella, or Lemforder but due to contractual agreements, the vehicle manufacturer’s logo cannot be on the product and may be removed from the part.

OEM
OEM parts are produced by a manufacturer that meets the high-quality standards and produces at least one part for a vehicle manufacturer. FCP recommends OEM replacement as one of the best options for quality and price. Typically all OEM manufacturers adhere to stringent quality control and are known to be exceptional quality. FCP has completed decades of research and we are very stringent with the term “OEM”, rest assured that every product that we list as OEM will be of equal quality to that of OE or Genuine parts we sell.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 10:32 PM   #17
ha9981
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Are there any OE or OEM options available?

In Canada the only option I am hearing is FYG. One shop claimed to have PGW but the person was pretty rude.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 10:34 PM   #18
ha9981
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
I am in Canada and I have had no isses with glass shops getting Pikington or Sekurit windshields. but they always try to make stupid excuses saying "another brand is the same qulaity and we can get it quicker". All because they can profit more from the insurance claim from sourcing a cheaper alternative.
For an e92 coupe? Do let me know if you know of any shops that have it. I called around 5-6 in GTA. But even if your area in Canada has it I would rather get that shipped as it would still be a good amount cheaper than dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 09:09 PM   #19
e904thewin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 white, Built F80

Mike @ Windshield City in Chantilly. Used him on 4+ vehicles.

Great guy. Great work.
Appreciate 0