BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-04-2016, 09:13 PM   #1
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 1995 E36 M3

Let's hear you BMW dealership buying experience!

Guys I thought this would make a great topic for all those who have bought or thinking about buying a BMW from dealership!

08-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #2
M3Dimi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 4.6L M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic Fusion
Guys I thought this would make a great topic for all those who have bought or thinking about buying a BMW from dealership!

Yea the dealerships here suck all of them just take you around the block and it's usually packed so you can't even do anything... Lmao when I bought my car the lady that was trying to take it out of the parking spot stalled like 3 times then finally got someone else who almost stalled lmao!

2008 E92 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
Tzounis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT Space Grey

Glad to see this thread, as I just purchased my 08 E92 from a BMW dealer. I am going hold off on writing a full review until I get a resolution on an issue I had come up 4 days after purchasing. I got the DSC/SES lights and the code is for the throttle valve actuator bank 2. To be continued...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 08:53 PM   #4
AaronJ47
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Ford Cosworth, FPV F6

is that you roger dodger?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #5
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ47 View Post
is that you roger dodger?
Yes this is actually me in the video. Name is Mike though. I have to do a whole video on where the name Rodger Dodger comes from.
      08-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #6
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Dimi View Post
Yea the dealerships here suck all of them just take you around the block and it's usually packed so you can't even do anything... Lmao when I bought my car the lady that was trying to take it out of the parking spot stalled like 3 times then finally got someone else who almost stalled lmao!
Oh gosh.....if I buy another M car I always ask for the salesman that have sold the most M cars. Nothing more worse than an uneducated salesman. Every time I go in a dealership, any dealership I see everyone standing around with coffee joking about this or that. When you ask them a question about a car they seem clueless about the car. Shouldn't they maybe learn the vehicles they sell? Maybe that's not part of the job? I don't know, I'm not a car salesman but if I was I'd probably be a damn good one because I enjoy cars!
      08-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #7
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzounis View Post
Glad to see this thread, as I just purchased my 08 E92 from a BMW dealer. I am going hold off on writing a full review until I get a resolution on an issue I had come up 4 days after purchasing. I got the DSC/SES lights and the code is for the throttle valve actuator bank 2. To be continued...
Oh gosh....they cleared the codes and sold the car. They knew it had a problem. You probably drove it 100+ miles and the lights popped on. That's a $4k issue. They need to fix that and make sure they don't lie to you and say that wasn't like that before you both it. I can clear codes with my cellphone. Yes I will stay tuned
      08-06-2016, 07:56 PM   #8
Tzounis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic Fusion View Post
Oh gosh....they cleared the codes and sold the car. They knew it had a problem. You probably drove it 100+ miles and the lights popped on. That's a $4k issue. They need to fix that and make sure they don't lie to you and say that wasn't like that before you both it. I can clear codes with my cellphone. Yes I will stay tuned
That's exactly what I am beginning to think happened. I will preface this by saying that I'm a sales manager at a franchise dealership and run the used car department. I called and dealt directly with the general sales manager of the BMW dealer (who I won't disclose just yet) to negotiate my purchase, as I am four hours away. He told me what he had in it, how much money he'd like to make on it, and I agreed the price he was giving me was fair and gave him a deposit. He looked the car over for me and texted me detailed pictures of certain areas that I asked about, and disclosed the stitching coming apart on top of the rear seat. He told me told me about the previous owner buying it CPO from them and having it regularly serviced there (which the Carfax confirmed), etc.

There were a few cosmetic issues that weren't disclosed that I noticed when I looked the car over in person, but I wasn't too concerned because I can get most of it fixed for free (curb rash, rock chips, dent in the center of the hood). I was more concerned that the car was mechanically sound! I even halfway sarcastically asked the service manager if I needed to take it my local BMW dealer to get a PPI. I met him because the driver's seat would not fold back to the normal position and he came to look into it. A penny was evidently lodged in it somehow. His answer was less than reassuring. I expected him to either laugh or even get offended, but he gave a soft no. I also bought the car AS/IS (2008 81k miles, they wanted like $800 for a 3 month/3k mile powertrain warranty). I drove the car home last Thurs, and got the dash lights on Sunday after a total of about 400 miles (most were highway). They go on and off intermittently, but anytime I stab the throttle it goes into limp mode now.

I texted him a pic of the messages, got the code read by one of my technicians and it's P155E/2B26 bank 2 throttle valve actuator. I finally talked to him and told him what it was and how much the part is. I gave him the part number so he could see what his cost is, which he texted me this morning that "the price is $1543.12 and I'll pay half if that helps you". I was hoping to get the part for free. I deal with issues like this on a daily basis and in my world if all someone wanted was the part for free I would gladly do it. If I were a normal retail customer I would have taken it to my BMW dealer and it been given a cost of $3-4k. When poking around under the hood I checked the air filter and it definitely wasn't changed when they serviced it, so that told me right there that if they weren't going to replace a $40 part they certainly weren't going to spend the money to replace a throttle actuator if they knew about it beforehand.

I haven't responded to his text from this morning because I wanted to think about it until Monday and see what you guys thought. I bought a 2yr/24k mi extended powertrain warranty with a $100 deductible through my dealership at cost, but can't use it for 30 days and even then it would look kind of sketchy since I just bought the car. I will basically have to drive it for two months with limp mode always looming until I get it fixed. If he gives me the part for free, I can pay one of my technicians $100 to help me and I can replace it myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #9
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Half of $1543 would more than pay the dealer's cost on a throttle actuator. He is not giving you anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 10:54 PM   #10
firstbimmer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 e92 M3 & '15 f15 X5 35i x

Just bought a cpo from CoastBMW on Saturday. I had read bad reviews ahead of time but once I started working with Marco the whole process could not have gone any smoother. I was not an easy client either. This was my dream car and on the edge of affordable for me. They bent over backwards to work with my needs. I also had an issue come up with the car today and without even asking they offered to pay my local dealer to fix the issue. (They are 260 miles away from where I live) I could not recommend them enough for purchasing.

******I have zero experience with their service department.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 06:59 PM   #11
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:

The guy's name was Vlaho. He was a great sales associate. I think he's gone now, however, but he's the guy I bought my car from. Pretty much the same story when I test drove a used M3 they had on the lot.

My wife stalled out on the sale. I test drove it Sunday, but she wanted to go back later to buy-the Friday after Thanksgiving, and wanted to go after lunch. We got there at 1pm just in time to see someone test driving it. I had him talked down to $45k for a 2009 with 12k miles (and two previous owners), but the guy who got there before us paid sticker-$63k.

I ended up taking the ultimate sacrifice of having a new 2011.5 shipped out from Arizona. Got a great price on it.

If either Vlaho or Steve still work there, you'll get treated right.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 11:04 PM   #12
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzounis View Post
That's exactly what I am beginning to think happened. I will preface this by saying that I'm a sales manager at a franchise dealership and run the used car department. I called and dealt directly with the general sales manager of the BMW dealer (who I won't disclose just yet) to negotiate my purchase, as I am four hours away. He told me what he had in it, how much money he'd like to make on it, and I agreed the price he was giving me was fair and gave him a deposit. He looked the car over for me and texted me detailed pictures of certain areas that I asked about, and disclosed the stitching coming apart on top of the rear seat. He told me told me about the previous owner buying it CPO from them and having it regularly serviced there (which the Carfax confirmed), etc.

There were a few cosmetic issues that weren't disclosed that I noticed when I looked the car over in person, but I wasn't too concerned because I can get most of it fixed for free (curb rash, rock chips, dent in the center of the hood). I was more concerned that the car was mechanically sound! I even halfway sarcastically asked the service manager if I needed to take it my local BMW dealer to get a PPI. I met him because the driver's seat would not fold back to the normal position and he came to look into it. A penny was evidently lodged in it somehow. His answer was less than reassuring. I expected him to either laugh or even get offended, but he gave a soft no. I also bought the car AS/IS (2008 81k miles, they wanted like $800 for a 3 month/3k mile powertrain warranty). I drove the car home last Thurs, and got the dash lights on Sunday after a total of about 400 miles (most were highway). They go on and off intermittently, but anytime I stab the throttle it goes into limp mode now.

I texted him a pic of the messages, got the code read by one of my technicians and it's P155E/2B26 bank 2 throttle valve actuator. I finally talked to him and told him what it was and how much the part is. I gave him the part number so he could see what his cost is, which he texted me this morning that "the price is $1543.12 and I'll pay half if that helps you". I was hoping to get the part for free. I deal with issues like this on a daily basis and in my world if all someone wanted was the part for free I would gladly do it. If I were a normal retail customer I would have taken it to my BMW dealer and it been given a cost of $3-4k. When poking around under the hood I checked the air filter and it definitely wasn't changed when they serviced it, so that told me right there that if they weren't going to replace a $40 part they certainly weren't going to spend the money to replace a throttle actuator if they knew about it beforehand.

I haven't responded to his text from this morning because I wanted to think about it until Monday and see what you guys thought. I bought a 2yr/24k mi extended powertrain warranty with a $100 deductible through my dealership at cost, but can't use it for 30 days and even then it would look kind of sketchy since I just bought the car. I will basically have to drive it for two months with limp mode always looming until I get it fixed. If he gives me the part for free, I can pay one of my technicians $100 to help me and I can replace it myself.
Man it's hard to say what to do. Yes it will seem sketchy as hell with the extended warranty. I'd go as far to say they won't cover it. I'd try to get the dealership to give the part for free and you do the work if they are really worried about money. And it is something as small as the air filter not being replaced to know they didn't check the car over like they said. They cleaned it up, did an oil change (maybe) and let it slide. But if you have a second car for the time being maybe drive that and try the warranty. I really don't have a clue. I know when I had my extended warranty it was 90 days before i could claim anything. But it never helps to wait the 60 days and then claim and if they ask say the car failed in 6 weeks you've had the inconvenience of driving it around for 2 months before you can make the claim. That is why you bought an extended warranty....to pay for crap like this. The actuator issue is one of the MAJOR issues people are concerned about with the E9x M3. The plastic/nylon gears are shit and need to be recalled to have aluminum ones installed in my opinion. I see with the e9x M3 BMW is really shy away from the known problems and not issuing recalls like they should be. To make the part probably cost $100 at best.and labor they are only losing what they pay their techs per hour not the normal shop rate of $125 per hour. I'd raise hell and not be Mr nice guy about this. They knew this before hand...they had to.
      08-10-2016, 11:05 PM   #13
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
Half of $1543 would more than pay the dealer's cost on a throttle actuator. He is not giving you anything.
Exactly...part probably only cost no more than $100 to manufacture
      08-10-2016, 11:08 PM   #14
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbimmer View Post
Just bought a cpo from CoastBMW on Saturday. I had read bad reviews ahead of time but once I started working with Marco the whole process could not have gone any smoother. I was not an easy client either. This was my dream car and on the edge of affordable for me. They bent over backwards to work with my needs. I also had an issue come up with the car today and without even asking they offered to pay my local dealer to fix the issue. (They are 260 miles away from where I live) I could not recommend them enough for purchasing.

******I have zero experience with their service department.
Nice. Most dealerships...BMW or not usually honor early issues when the car is just bought. Especially if they see it's your dream car. With todays social media and online reviews it's hard to treat someone like shit without the whole world knowing. Customer service is everything and with the high cost of everything these days dealerships should man up and cover early issue cost.
      08-10-2016, 11:10 PM   #15
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMA Doc View Post
The guy's name was Vlaho. He was a great sales associate. I think he's gone now, however, but he's the guy I bought my car from. Pretty much the same story when I test drove a used M3 they had on the lot.

My wife stalled out on the sale. I test drove it Sunday, but she wanted to go back later to buy-the Friday after Thanksgiving, and wanted to go after lunch. We got there at 1pm just in time to see someone test driving it. I had him talked down to $45k for a 2009 with 12k miles (and two previous owners), but the guy who got there before us paid sticker-$63k.

I ended up taking the ultimate sacrifice of having a new 2011.5 shipped out from Arizona. Got a great price on it.

If either Vlaho or Steve still work there, you'll get treated right.
Arizona has some good cars because of no snow...at least in Phoenix area. So hoping you got a decent deal. Sucks you missed out on the first one. But 2 previous owners with only 12k miles is suspect but who knows. The universe might have saved you a future hassle
      08-11-2016, 04:45 PM   #16
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2c. LBB, 6mt

Garage List
I would definitely raise some hell. All the dealerships around me typically have like a 1,000 mile/one month warranty if anything goes wrong they fix it for free.

Threaten to contact BMWNA.
      08-12-2016, 07:10 PM   #17
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Arizona has some good cars because of no snow...at least in Phoenix area. So hoping you got a decent deal. Sucks you missed out on the first one. But 2 previous owners with only 12k miles is suspect but who knows. The universe might have saved you a future hassle
I'm not complaining. New>used, even if we did get the used CPO down to a pretty good deal. I just feel sorry for the guy who was dumb enough to pay sticker for the thing.

I still don't know how they managed to puncture a tire and use the sealant on a car with less than 200 miles on the odo.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 11:13 PM   #18
spiderspider
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, 991 C4S, E46 330i

i haven't had good experiences at mountain view personally. last car i bought - a 328i for the wife - i intended to buy a car off their lot. went there and no one gave me the time of day. hung around for a good hour or so. so i drove down the road and bought the next one on my list.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 12:17 AM   #19
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

I've bought from 3 BMW dealers and they went pretty well. I even bought from a BMW dealer out of state which was a lot easier than I thought. However, if you have an issue afterwards, it may take you a lot of patience to get it resolved. Took me maybe 4 months and a lot of phone calls to get my $200 refund back.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 08:39 AM   #20
DangerM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

When I purchased my e92. I was dealing with the "///M specialist". But when I refused to pay full sticker price, I had to deal with the manager.

I'm not sure if most people just walk in the door and say "Oh the sticker says $44,000... HERE YA GO!" But the manager got VERY annoyed with me because I knew what I was willing to pay, and wouldn't budge.

I was trading in an Infiniti g37s, had cash for a down payment, plenty of things for them to play with the numbers. But the guy was unreasonable. I gave him a figure I wanted to be under for monthly payments, and he came back with LITERALLY 1 dollar less than that figure. I grabbed the keys to my G and said, I don't need a new car, and have no problem going home. All told it took my gf and I about 5-6 hours before the deal was signed.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 08:01 PM   #21
Tzounis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonsbs5114 View Post
I would definitely raise some hell. All the dealerships around me typically have like a 1,000 mile/one month warranty if anything goes wrong they fix it for free.

Threaten to contact BMWNA.
I received an email survey from BMWNA that I recently filled out and I requested to be contacted by someone. I spoke to the guy and he said there was really nothing they could do but he took note of my complaint and said he would let the regional manager know about it.

I spoke to a service writer at my local dealer and he offered to run the codes for me for free and hopefully tell me the miles of original time the code was thrown. If it proves that this was an issue when they had the car then I am really going to raise some hell!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 10:52 PM   #22
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMA Doc View Post
I'm not complaining. New>used, even if we did get the used CPO down to a pretty good deal. I just feel sorry for the guy who was dumb enough to pay sticker for the thing.

I still don't know how they managed to puncture a tire and use the sealant on a car with less than 200 miles on the odo.
I agree.....unless I used my car for a business and it was a tax write off, I'm not buying new. Not a M4 anyways. The M2 is reasonably priced though.