BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-07-2017, 05:46 PM   #1
bgalex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3, F10 M5

Rear tire rubbing noise?

Hey guys so Ive been having this problem for a while but its on and off. Little backround story to understand better.

2011 e90 ZCP completely stock.
Back in September my right wheel bearing went out and went to replace it, the shop then ended up not connecting the axle properly and it snapped on me trying to launch the car.

Shop fixed the mistake and its been good since then.

Got new tires around Christmas time, still everything good.

About a month ago, I would get this occasional tire rubbing noise (thats what it sounds like) on the right side rear(where bearing was replaced as well as axle)

The problem is it does not happen All the time.. Taking turns normal driving no noise everything normal.

When i make a tight right turn going over a bump or road hump i would get the noise and sometime when I go over the same bump the same way (my driveway entrance) I get no noise...

I still need to take the wheel out to check it out if I can see something but any suggestions from you forum members?

Greatly appreciated.. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 06:19 PM   #2
tony093
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

it sounds like u need to get the diff serviced
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 06:24 PM   #3
bgalex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony093 View Post
it sounds like u need to get the diff serviced
He did also change the fluid in the diff. He said he was using Castrol but then after a day he told me he put the OEM BMW with FM booster.. Im wondering the fluid wasn't good and it started just now making noise? Is that possible?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #4
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3, '18 M2, '22 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalex View Post
He did also change the fluid in the diff. He said he was using Castrol but then after a day he told me he put the OEM BMW with FM booster.. Im wondering the fluid wasn't good and it started just now making noise? Is that possible?
Mine did this for about 1000 miles after the diff fluid was changed to the BMW stuff with FM booster. It went away mostly after that. I get it every now and then when its still warming up.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #5
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

it won't be diff fluid, he said that he gets the rub noise when he goes over a bump.
      02-08-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
it won't be diff fluid, he said that he gets the rub noise when he goes over a bump.
Mine still does it if I turn right hard and its up over a bump like a driveway entrance. The gas station I go to makes it happen quite often as I enter it if everything is not all warmed up.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 03:02 PM   #7
bgalex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfisher99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Mine still does it if I turn right hard and its up over a bump like a driveway entrance. The gas station I go to makes it happen quite often as I enter it if everything is not all warmed up.
Well my questions goes back to why is it happening now all of a sudden (1 month ago) when I got all parts changed in September and have out over 2k miles. And also the fact that it doesnt happen always, sometimes it happens when its really cold not warmed up but other times at the same location and it doesnt happen and still not warmed up.. :/
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 03:15 PM   #8
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well my questions goes back to why is it happening now all of a sudden (1 month ago) when I got all parts changed in September and have out over 2k miles. And also the fact that it doesnt happen always, sometimes it happens when its really cold not warmed up but other times at the same location and it doesnt happen and still not warmed up.. :/
I can only speak from my personal experience. The diff rub sound is supposedly completely normal. Mine does not always do it at the place or two I have had it happen, but does happen more times than not. Maybe we both have bad diffs? I don't worry about mine since the sound is "normal" and has not changed, other than doing it less after my first 1000 miles, in over 10K since the fluid was changed. Maybe someone else will chime in with a better explanation.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #9
bgalex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfisher99 View Post
Quote:
I can only speak from my personal experience. The diff rub sound is supposedly completely normal. Mine does not always do it at the place or two I have had it happen, but does happen more times than not. Maybe we both have bad diffs? I don't worry about mine since the sound is "normal" and has not changed, other than doing it less after my first 1000 miles, in over 10K since the fluid was changed. Maybe someone else will chime in with a better explanation.
Yeah I totally understand your side. I bough the car with 44k miles the axle breaking due to the shops fault was around 45-46.5k miles, i now have 49k and the sound came around 48k. Before the wheel bearing and axle issues i heard no noise at all. Its weird that it came so late. Ill get a diff change in the coming weeks to see if it fixes it and hope it does. Sound is only for a split second and then cant duplicate it until a fee tries lol
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 11:23 AM   #10
bgalex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Long bump on this thread but I came to a 99.99% conclusion that it is NOT my diff...

I began to notice fender rubbing marks on my tire (passenger rear)(where my original complaint was)

I aways noticed them (after I installed brand new All Season Continental DWS tires) but never though anything about it since I always though it was the diff..

The other day I cleaned my car, took her for a drive and on the same drive where I hear the noise I heard it again stopped it went outside and I saw rubbing from the fender..

I have 15mm spacer in the rear now BUT it was happening before the spacer on brand new tires also... AND its only passenger rear side, my driver side is fine..

So now Im even more confused of the whole situation.. If it is really "tire rubbing" only on that side (suspension look a tad lower on that side as well) could be a weaker strut going out or spring or??

Picture for reference:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 07:18 PM   #11
M3AN ZCP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 Comp Package

EDC

The "rubbing" sound you hear is actually your shock. It's an indication that the EDC module, located in the right rear quarter panel, is failing. You'll need to replace and program the module. The rubbing sound will go away.
Appreciate 1
Isaac.11.00
      07-07-2020, 07:54 PM   #12
bgalex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AN ZCP View Post
The "rubbing" sound you hear is actually your shock. It's an indication that the EDC module, located in the right rear quarter panel, is failing. You'll need to replace and program the module. The rubbing sound will go away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AN ZCP View Post
The noise went away after different wheel spacers were installed and hasnt come back for over 30k miles. I dont even own the car unfortunately anymore.
Appreciate 0