BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Mporium BMW

09-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post Preview of BMW at the 2012 Paris Motor Show

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Preview of BMW at the 2012 Paris Motor Show
COMMENTS

At the 2012 Paris Motor Show, three fascinating concept studies will point the way forward to a future defined by both sustainability and driving pleasure. What is more, BMW sends out an impressive signal in terms of efficiency, premium quality and innovative technology with its latest models in a range of vehicle segments. BMW Connected Drive innovations and the BMW M Performance accessories round off the appearance at the Paris show.

BMW Concept Active Tourer: more space for innovations.

The BMW Concept Active Tourer [Official Info Thread] sees its premiere at the 2012 Paris Motor Show and offers an initial insight into further innovations for the premium compact segment. In this study BMW demonstrates groundbreaking solutions in terms of both the interior and the drive concept. The latter features a fresh combination of comfort and functionality with dynamic performance and style: a plug-hybrid drive ensures the very highest level of efficiency.

With an external length of 4,350 millimetres, sporty proportions and hallmark lines, the concept study brings characteristic BMW aesthetic appeal to yet another vehicle segment. A raised seating position, generous space for driver and passengers and the flexibly extendable luggage compartment are the defining aspects of the BMW Concept Active Tourer interior. It combines versatile functionality with excellent ride comfort, all within the high-quality ambience of a premium automobile. A special version of the BMW eDrive concept takes care of the dynamic facets which go to make up the character of this study. The system comprises a 3-cylinder petrol engine and a synchronous electric motor, generating a combined output of 140 kW/190 bhp and accelerating the BMW Concept Active Tourer from zero to 100 km/h in less than eight seconds. The vehicle has an average fuel consumption of less than 2.5 litres per 100 kilometres and a CO2 emissions level of under 60 grams per kilometre. The lithium-ion battery of this plug-in hybrid automobile can be charged at a conventional mains socket. Its capacity allows ranges of over 30 kilometres when operated on electric power alone.

BMW Concept Active Tourer Exterior

BMW Concept Active Tourer Interior

BMW 1 Series: world premiere for xDrive, new entry-level diesel model.

In Paris the intelligent all-wheel drive system xDrive sees its premiere in the BMW 1 Series. This system, which distributes drive torque variably between the front and rear axle, is now available for the compact model for the first time.

Two models are presented for the market launch: the 120d xDrive and the BMW M 135i xDrive.

The new diesel entry-level model BMW 114d will also be presented at the 2012 Paris Motor Show: its 1.6-litre 4-cylinder engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology has an output of 70 kW/95 bhp, achieving an average fuel consumption of 4.1 to 4.3 litres per 100 kilometres (figures based on the EU test cycle, dependent on tyre format selected). This means that there are now five petrol engines and six diesel engines to choose from for the new 5-door BMW 1 Series and the new 3-door BMW 1 Series, combining hallmark brand driving pleasure with exemplary efficiency.

Name:  P90104027.jpg
Views: 9815
Size:  83.6 KB

BMW i3 Concept: maximum sustainability down to the last detail.

The BMW i3 will herald a new era of automobile construction, not only due to its purely electric drive and a passenger cell made of carbon fibre reinforced plastic: its interior design is also consistently geared towards sustainability. The new version of the BMW i3 Concept presented at the 2012 Paris Motor Show clearly reflects this. For example, the eucalyptus wood used for the instrument panel comes from a sustainable cultivation source in Europe and is treated exclusively with natural substances. The high-quality leather of the seats has a fine surface consistency achieved by processing tanning agents gained from olive leaves. What is more, parts of the instrument cluster and door trim are made of natural wool fabric.

BMW C evolution: prototype of an e-scooter to meet the highest demands in terms of agility and range.

BMW Motorrad is likewise responding to the challenges facing future urban mobility by putting forward innovative vehicle concepts. A prototype - also incorporating the aspect of electromobility - is presented at the 2012 Paris Motor Show 2012. In the BMW C evolution, an electric drive produces riding performance figures at the level of a maxi scooter with a conventional combustion engine. With a continuous output of 11 kW and a peak output of 35 kW, the liquid-cooled electric motor provides the perfect conditions for supreme riding pleasure in this vehicle segment. What is more, the compact battery allows a range of over 100 kilometres and can be recharged either at a household power socket or at a public charging station. This means that although primarily designed for use in daily commuter traffic, the BMW C evolution is well equipped to go beyond the boundaries of urban mobility.

In developing the drive technology for this near-production prototype, BMW Motorrad benefits from the sound expertise of the BMW Group in the field of electromobility.

Name:  P90099790.jpg
Views: 9795
Size:  226.7 KB

The new BMW 7 Series: more ride comfort, more efficiency,
more innovations.

Trade fair highlights include the European premiere of the new BMW 7 Series. The flagship of the BMW model range is presented with a selectively modified exterior and interior design. The most striking new visual feature is the optional full LED headlights on each side of the BMW radiator grille, which has also been discreetly revised. In the interior, the travelling experience is further enhanced with the use of new materials and additionally optimised acoustic comfort. The multifunctional instrument display, the three-dimensional graphics of the Control Display and the Bang & Olufsen high-end surround sound system are some of the other features which provide intensified driving pleasure.

The luxury sedan also sees significant advances in terms of drive technology. All models are now fitted with an 8-speed automatic transmission as standard, and the fuel consumption and exhaust emissions of the new BMW 7 Series have been reduced by up to 25 percent, depending on the engine variant. The automatic engine start/stop function, brake energy regeneration and the second generation of the driving experience switch with ECO PRO mode and coasting function are all features which offer additional savings potential. A carefully optimised wheel suspension and the electromechanical steering for all models with rear-wheel drive raise ride comfort to a new level. The self-levelling air suspension on the rear axle is now also a standard feature in all models.

The most spectacular new feature in terms of engines is the world's most powerful in-line 6-cylinder diesel engine that drives the new BMW 750d xDrive. Fitted with triple turbocharging, the power unit generates a maximum output of 280 kW/381 bhp, accelerating the luxury sedan from standing to 100 km/h in 4.9 seconds.

New BMW 3 Series: exemplary efficiency featuring new diversity.

The efficiency of the new, successfully launched BMW 3 Series Sedan is underscored yet again with a further expanded engine portfolio. The role of entry-level model among the petrol engine variants is now taken up by the new BMW 316i Sedan. This model is powered by a 1.6-litre variant of the new generation of 4-cylinder engines with BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology, generating an output of 100 kW/136 bhp and putting a maximum torque of 220 Newton metres on stream. The new BMW 316i Sedan is fitted as standard with a 6-speed manual transmission and optionally with an 8-speed automatic transmission.

In addition, BMW takes the opportunity of the Paris trade fair to present the first model powered by a petrol engine which is geared particularly consistently towards efficiency. The BMW 320i EfficientDynamics Edition Sedan not only has the same fuel-saving technology as all the other models but also additional aerodynamics features and a specific engine set-up and gear ratios. In this model variant, the 2.0 litre engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology achieves a peak output of 125 kW/170 bhp. The BMW 320i EfficientDynamics Edition Sedan accelerates in 7.6 seconds from zero to 100 km/h, combining its athletic spirit with an average fuel consumption rate as measured on the EU test cycle of 5.3 litres per 100 kilometres. This makes it the most economical petrol engine model within the current BMW range.

BMW ConnectedDrive: innovations for networked mobility.

Continuous additions to the range of BMW ConnectedDrive functions have enabled the Munich-based premium automobile manufacturer to extend its leading role in terms of the networking of driver, automobile and outside world. This time with the addition of driver assistance systems and mobility services. In the new generation of the Professional navigation system, three-dimensional graphics in combination with additional functions and a further optimised display and operating concept ensure the very highest level of travel convenience. The new dictation function with speech-to-text recognition allows the driver to write e-mails and text messages by means of voice entry. Meanwhile the BMW Car Hotspot LTE sets new standards in terms of mobile networking with the internet: BMW is the first automobile manufacturer in the world to offer this technology for all its models.

New BMW M Performance accessories now added to the program.

Model-specific products from the BMW M Performance accessories range allow authentic expression of motor racing enthusiasm. The 2012 Paris Motor Show sees the very first presentation of products from this program designed specifically for the new BMW 3 Series Sedan. The newly developed items for the 3-door BMW 1 Series and the new BMW 3 Series Touring will be available from autumn 2012. Retrofit components in the areas of drive, suspension, aerodynamics and cockpit provide a notable boost in terms of driving dynamics as well as enhancing engine power, reducing weight and optimising aerodynamic properties. They also ensure a striking dash of sporty flair in terms of the visual appearance and interior ambience of the vehicle in question.

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Terpinator
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 550i xDrive M Sport

No mention of the 3 Series GT? I was hoping it would be revealed in Paris.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

BOOM

GTS
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Looking forward to seeing some F31 toys.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
InTheNightKitchen
Ignorance is Bliss?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 of Many

That Compact Tourer... I Like It, I Like It A LOT!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
zibawal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5D

Is it based on 1 series or 3? If one I shall stay away;( very low quality materials;(
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zibawal View Post
Is it based on 1 series or 3? If one I shall stay away;( very low quality materials;(
I don't know how accurate that is. From what I've seen, the materials used in the 1 and 3 are more or less the same; can't say the 3 is of higher quality. The same goes for the 5 and 7. Sure there might be things added in the 7 to make it standout as BMW's flagship but in terms of materials, they're on par. Unless you're looking at something specific.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibawal
The new 1 series's quality is much better than the previous generation's.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Isn't the 3 GT going to be unveiled also?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

reminds me of the movie TRON....
      09-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ZCP, F85, E70, G07

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
"driving pleasure" does not come from a FWD BMW.
      09-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #12
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
"driving pleasure" does not come from a FWD BMW.
Are you sure? Because that's essentially what a MINI is....
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 01:51 AM   #13
Terpinator
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
Are you sure? Because that's essentially what a MINI is....
you've never driven a Ford Focus SVT. FWD and a great car.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 05:46 AM   #14
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Not everything is announced.
      09-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #15
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

m135i xdrive! yes please! but let me guess.. not for US markets.
      09-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #16
samwhitney
Registered
Rep
Drives: series 7

Cool Shade, Seriers 1 or 7 ?

Would BMW offer the "cool shade" in a Series 1 at this stage of the technology's introduction? As one might have expected, the spd smart glass tech is starting in the higher end models, like Mercedes SL and SLK, and Viano Pearl (a custom job).

I expect spd glass tech or "Cool shade" to migrate to all glass roofs and most of the side glass, eventually. But I thought BMW would introduce it in the top of the line models.

I confess I am really hoping cool shade will show up in the 7 series, and soon!

best, sam
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #17
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Very few x-drive BMW's around here because it snows only once every 10 years and is melted in half a day.
      09-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #18
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i
Location: Texas, the United States of America, Planet Earth, Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpinator View Post
No mention of the 3 Series GT? I was hoping it would be revealed in Paris.
Maybe it's gonna be a surprise??
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #19
E///MRE
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 15 E89 Z4Sdrive20i,16 F10 520i

How you find 3 series GT attractive? I don't get it.
Past - 2012 BMW 116i F20 M Sport
Past -2010 BMW E90 320D
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #20
Terpinator
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E///MRE View Post
How you find 3 series GT attractive? I don't get it.
I know the 3GT isn't for everyone, but i very much like what I've seen in the spy shots. I like hatchbacks in general, and have owned an Integra GSR and two Saab 900s. The are very useful, especially when you have a wet dog needing transport! If BMW would offer the 335i xDrive in the Touring in the US, that is what I'd choose, so the 3GT is the next best thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #21
Pavit
Private First Class
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: Bimmer Beauty

Garage List
3GT is the one for me along any configuration of _28i or _35i or _35d with x-drive!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #22
ATSR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1977 Honda Civic

What about the F32? Isn't the 3-series coupe supposed to be released 1 year after the sedan?
Appreciate 0