BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Closed Thread

05-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
ducpop
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 Interlagos Blue

OEM LED tail light mod for E92 M3 (recoding problems)

Yo to all...I was dropping some info for anyone who is looking to do the LED tail light mod on their E92 M3. I got mine from Turner Motorsports, who had also previously re flashed my ECU (awesome by- the-way). The word from Turner and other postings is that once you install the FRM III foot well lighting module, you must take it to the dealer for re-coding. What I found out from my dealer today when I took the car down, is to be noted by all that have had their ECU's re flashed. With the latest dealer software, when they plug into your OBD to recode the lighting module, they can NOT specifically select that module to be recoded. Their diagnostics takes a GENERAL look-see into your car's software, and if it shows that there is a need for a factory update, it will update your software...to include your ECU re flash (most likely), thus taking your ECU back to OEM parameters...you will lose your re flash. The only option I have found to avoid this is the Autologic software...shops that have this will be able to plug into your car, look at any mods it has, send this data to Germany where they will write a program to recode your FRM without altering the ECU. I am getting this done tomorrow and will post the results.

Last edited by ducpop; 05-23-2012 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

I didn't even read it past first 3 words... Hate posts that are not divided in paragraphs.

Anyway good luck with whatever you're doing.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin FD View Post
I didn't even read it past first 3 words... Hate posts that are not divided in paragraphs.

Anyway good luck with whatever you're doing.
i feel the same way
      05-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducpop View Post
Yo to all...I was dropping some info for anyone who is looking to do the LED tail light mod on their E92 M3. I got mine from Turner Motorsports, who had also previously re flashed my ECU (awesome by- the-way). The word from Turner and other postings is that once you install the FRM III foot well lighting module, you must take it to the dealer for re-coding. What I found out from my dealer today when I took the car down, is to be noted by all that have had their ECU's re flashed. With the latest dealer software, when they plug into your OBD to recode the lighting module, they can NOT specifically select that module to be recoded. Their diagnostics takes a GENERAL look-see into your car's software, and if it shows that there is a need for a factory update, it will update your software...to include your ECU re flash (most likely), thus taking your ECU back to OEM parameters...you will lose your re flash. The only option I have found to avoid this is the Autologic software...shops that have this will be able to plug into your car, look at any mods it has, send this data to Germany where they will write a program to recode your FRM without altering the ECU. I am getting this done tomorrow and will post the results.
Autologic can program the FRM on the spot, no need to send files back and forth. This is literally a 10 minute job at most.

There is no need to replace the FRM2 modules you had, it could have been coded also - pocking the ~$400 for module cost/labor. However a benefit with the FRM3 modules is that they are hard-coded, meaning that the LCI-specific programming cannot be overwritten (like >MY10 FRM2 modules) once coded to the vehicle.

Otherwise, congrats on the facelift!

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread