BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

05-24-2020, 06:50 PM   #1
Davey27
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Kazoo/Duck Quack Sound on Acceleration

Hey everyone,

Would really appreciate picking the collective brains of this great forum, and getting some insight and thoughts on a very strange noise I am hearing, which appeared this past Friday (5/22), upon getting my M3 back from the mechanic (also planning on calling them when they open back up after the Memorial Day Weekend, but hoping to gather initial impressions here first). The demons in me are saying this can't be a coincidence...

It occurs upon medium acceleration at around ~2k - 3k RPM, but does not occur every time, I would say 25% of the time it will make the noise. Best examples I can give is that it sounds like a duck quack, a squeak, and/or kazoo, coming from the front of the vehicle for less than a second (hard to pinpoint exactly where while underway). As I said, this began after picking up my car from the shop, where they replaced the front fender liners on both sides (parts #51-71-7-899-815/51-71-7-899-816, and #51-71-8-044-649/51-71-8-044-650), as well as swapped out summer wheels and tires (359s - Michelin PSS). I mention this because it doesn't seem as though their work would have produced something that is occurring in correlation to throttle response. I know that as a part of the fender liner install process, you need to remove the one end of the struts as it goes through the liners, but I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the issue, as again, it is throttle dependent, which seemingly would rule this out. However, it is coming from that general area, could be a coincidence, but also sounds a tad like suspension compressing when hitting a bump.

No mods on the car, everything is stock.

Anyways...sorry for the long-winded background, attaching a couple sound clips of the noise. If you listen closely, you can hear it at the 4 second mark of both clips.

Thank you!!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Quack Noises.zip (122.8 KB, 68 views)
Appreciate 0