BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

09-22-2019, 04:10 PM   #1
Grey///Matter
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Moving on

So with changes in life and my extended warranty on the E92 finally up, we are thinking of getting a new car and wanted to get people's thoughts.

We live downtown so we only really need one car that can do pretty much everything - this was the allure of the M3, but my non-iDrive E92 is starting to get too dated for my wife's tastes. It's an amazing and ridiculosuly special car to me, so trying to figure out HOW to replace it is a bit of a challenge.

Main contenders -

1. F80 M4 CS - The emotional option. The most “raw” pure sports car. Leaning toward this one. Tons of deals on these right now given the upcoming G80/82. We'd lease this rather than buy given the decent lease rates and discounts currently available. Seems like a good deal on this could be pretty cool. Will be annoying to have the new M3/4 come out next year but we need a new car now and the discounts are pretty good.

2. C63 S AMG - The wife’s favourite. Wife's always been an AMG fan. Looks and sounds pretty good - but not the best in terms of handling. Not sure if it has the same “following” as an M3.

3. Audi RS5 - No one’s favourite. Seems kind of boring.

4. F90 M5 - The practical option. AWD better for Canadian winters, super fast and apparently trackable. Just worried it’s a bit of a boat and we don’t need that much space (yet).

Plan to test drives at least the CS and AMG this week. We thought about M2 Comp but it’s too small for family duty otherwise that'd be my pick.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Grey///Matter; 09-23-2019 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 06:50 PM   #2
RLM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

C63s

Your wife's favorite and they have a beast of a v8!

Also, it will still be current for a few more years before a new generation is released.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

F90 M5.

If you can manage it, it's a beast. I got to drive it at M-Town earlier in August and it did not disappoint. Although it is larger than the rest, it's got all the tech you could ask for, it's also very comfortable, and when you open up the taps it puts a smile on your face. Also, burbles...so many burbles....
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
xcusem3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

I just sold my 2013 m3 and went a very different direction... I bought a 2019 Grand Cherokee Summit. Mostly because we live in the mountains and for 7-8 months out of the year I couldn't drive the m3 anyways.

It's a gem, I would have never of thought of buying a Jeep but going with the Summit version you get amazing off road capability, plus a height adjustable air suspension that keeps the thing decently planted in the twisties.. drove the SRT version and it was acceptably quick, slower than the m3 by far but it felt incredibly heavy and had more body roll in the corners than the summit did with the air ride
      09-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #5
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Depends what your doing with the car, if your not tracking it and don't care about manual transmission I'd look at the AMG for sure. Those things are important for me however which is why i'm looking at the F80. The F90 would probably be fun to throw around the track a few times, but given it's weight it will chew through consumables. Not to mention cost if you bin it. It wouldn't be on my list personally.

Curve ball is the G80 M3 is just around the corner and should be a huge leap forward. Production is slated to start as early as Jan 2020, with launch mid next year according to current well informed rumours (there is a post on the main bimmerpost page).

I'm in the same boat as you in that I'm looking to change, but with the G80 potentially being so close I am holding off to see how it shakes out next year. Although I say that now I just emailed a dealer in CT about a rather nice looking F80 that fits what I'm after!
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2019, 12:34 PM   #6
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Will you be doing any HPDE or autocross? The CS is the only one of those cars I would say is somewhat ready for that kind of work.

The C63 will feel like an updated version of your E92, good blend of luxury and performance with a stout motor. The RS5 is more of a GT car but still very capable and comfortable, plus AWD is a nice bonus for inclement weather. Haven't driven the new M5 but it's a huge car and I suspect it will feel enormous -- maybe that's fine?
      09-26-2019, 07:00 AM   #7
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I am into practical cars, so I would focus on the AWD cars on your list for Canada. Seems silly to me to spend a bunch of money on a car you park half the year, unless you have an equally good winter car like maybe an AMG or M SUV. Twice as much money to have 2 great cars, but maybe that is an option for you. If I could afford the new M5, I would buy one. Fast, comfortable, can fit the family, handles great, AWD. Will be a few years for me.

If you just want another RWD sporty car, a used F80 would be a step up from the old E92. I would skip the Audi, though it is a nice car (I would consider an RS7, though). And skip the RWD Mercedes. If you can give up some handling in exchange for great speed, the older E63 AMG is AWD and very fast and reasonably priced today. The new E63 AMG is on par with the new M5 and equally expensive but worth a look if your wife is more supportive of an expensive Mercedes than BMW.
Appreciate 2
      09-26-2019, 08:00 AM   #8
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I am into practical cars, so I would focus on the AWD cars on your list for Canada. Seems silly to me to spend a bunch of money on a car you park half the year, unless you have an equally good winter car like maybe an AMG or M SUV. Twice as much money to have 2 great cars, but maybe that is an option for you. If I could afford the new M5, I would buy one. Fast, comfortable, can fit the family, handles great, AWD. Will be a few years for me.

If you just want another RWD sporty car, a used F80 would be a step up from the old E92. I would skip the Audi, though it is a nice car (I would consider an RS7, though). And skip the RWD Mercedes. If you can give up some handling in exchange for great speed, the older E63 AMG is AWD and very fast and reasonably priced today. The new E63 AMG is on par with the new M5 and equally expensive but worth a look if your wife is more supportive of an expensive Mercedes than BMW.
What this guy said

The current M5 may annoy me due to AWD and a ZF tranny but there is NO denying they knocked it out of the park in terms of feel, handling and speed.
It is stupid fast and feels really good!

It would be so much fun to have a M5C, decatted and ESS tuned to ~750hp like the one I drove, and take it to a fast track like the Glen and crush all kinds of 'dedicated sports cars'.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2019, 05:16 PM   #9
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

That might be $2000 worth of fun — you would need the $400 track day fee and would have to buy a set of new tires and a set of brake pads after you were done.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 07:59 PM   #10
Grey///Matter
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks everyone - awesome to see so many perspectives (and one of the reasons I don’t really want to leave BMW as the communities here are awesome).

We’ve done some test drives and decided -

It will have to be the M4 CS. Got a deal which priced it on par with an F80 competition as winter is coming and the G80 is coming up. We are ecstatic and picking up in next few days - will post pics! The car is an absolute monster though it does require some day to day compromise compared to something like a C63 or M5.

We don’t have kids yet and figured now is the time to focus on slightly less practical cars and fun. In the coming years I am sure this will change and by then our lease will be up 😎
Appreciate 3
      09-27-2019, 03:40 PM   #11
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Glad you settled in a CS! I have one as well and it's a wonderful package!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 03:41 PM   #12
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
That might be $2000 worth of fun — you would need the $400 track day fee and would have to buy a set of new tires and a set of brake pads after you were done.
I know... that's why it would be cretinous fun, but SO much fun just the same!

Reminds me of putting a C63S on the track with Randy at the wheel years ago at a race practice. So entertaining
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 05:42 PM   #13
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
CS is a terrific car, spent a bit of time with the M3 CS back to back with my E90, and it's an absolute weapon.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-27-2019, 06:32 PM   #14
Grey///Matter
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
CS is a terrific car, spent a bit of time with the M3 CS back to back with my E90, and it's an absolute weapon.
Stunning cars! Had trouble choosing between San Marino blue and Limerock grey but eventually went with the blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Literally cannot wait to get it. It is really different to the E92. Where the E92 beckons you to floor it to hear that beautiful sound, the CS was just insane. The speed was almost terrifying as I have gotten so used to the way I drove my E92.

Will post pics once it’s all picked up.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 10:08 PM   #15
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey///Matter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Stunning cars! Had trouble choosing between San Marino blue and Limerock grey but eventually went with the blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Literally cannot wait to get it. It is really different to the E92. Where the E92 beckons you to floor it to hear that beautiful sound, the CS was just insane. The speed was almost terrifying as I have gotten so used to the way I drove my E92.

Will post pics once it’s all picked up.
How would you compare them?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 10:15 PM   #16
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
You made the right decision, SMB is unquestionably my favourite BMW colour. There is a SMB M3 CS scooting around Melbourne, and it looks incredible.

As you say, the F8x Mx CS (does that work? ) is so different from our cars, the torque is immense and unending.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 04:09 PM   #17
Grey///Matter
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
How would you compare them?
Someone on the forums once said the E92 is like a purebread horse. It’s perfectly balanced and very controllable, and just makes such a pure sound it’s beautiful. The F8x is more like a race horse bread for the sole purpose of extreme speed. It’s terrifying and brutish and constantly ready to make the perfectly tuned dive into the next corner. It’s loud, aggressive, and a weapon for speed. The interior is also from another world compared to the E92.

Very impressed by the CS and totally ready to move on to it - but the E92 M3 is something I’ll always remember for its own characteristics.
      10-03-2019, 01:45 PM   #18
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Someone on the forums once said the E92 is like a purebread horse. It’s perfectly balanced and very controllable, and just makes such a pure sound it’s beautiful. The F8x is more like a race horse bread for the sole purpose of extreme speed. It’s terrifying and brutish and constantly ready to make the perfectly tuned dive into the next corner. It’s loud, aggressive, and a weapon for speed. The interior is also from another world compared to the E92.

Very impressed by the CS and totally ready to move on to it - but the E92 M3 is something I’ll always remember for its own characteristics.
Congrats mate, looking forward to plenty pics! ....before you skip of to the M8x forum....
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 09:24 PM   #19
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

If only one car, I would go f85 x5m. If suv is not an option, then m3cs
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 03:36 PM   #20
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335XI (sold)/E92 M3 (sold)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Keep the M3, replace the wife.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2019, 01:09 AM   #21
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by revengeismine View Post
Keep the M3, replace the wife.
Family guys cannot like this comment due to the potential enragement and law suit from their beloved ones.
      11-06-2019, 06:13 AM   #22
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

The old saying “a happy wife helps make a happy life” for the husband. Of course this saying does not apply to those who don’t have a wife, don’t have young kids with a woman, and have not lived long term with woman in a state that has a palimony law.
Appreciate 1
Lucky1639.50