BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

Mporium BMW

02-22-2023, 06:54 AM   #177
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

I keep coming back to this thread and seeing how the car is being taken care of. Still no plans to replace it with anything I'm assuming?
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
wyatth3548.50
      02-23-2023, 01:00 PM   #178
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I keep coming back to this thread and seeing how the car is being taken care of. Still no plans to replace it with anything I'm assuming?
Thank you! I still have no plans to replace it in the foreseeable future. I'll never say never, but I'm certainly maintaining the car with the long term in mind. I've always maintained things the best I can and, fortunately, find enjoyment in that work. I think my longer-term plans are based on 3 factors:
- This car still makes me smile every time I drive it, and it perfectly suits my needs, balancing practicality with fun. I love its character and find it’s aging well (with respect to character, looks, and general reliability). I don’t generally change things just for the sake of change, and I’m far from bored with the E90 even as I come up on 5 years with it.
- Nothing comparable really interests me. I have zero interest in an F80 or G80. Giulias and C63S' are neat and good looking, but don't offer the full package or character that speaks to me. I simply love the S65+DCT, and would rather add Ohlins and Sportsters than spend on another car.
- The only cars that really do interest me are some 911 models. But I can’t afford the examples I would swap for, and they don’t really fit my current needs anyway. But there’s a good chance the E90 is here to stay until I am ready to move up to a 911. Maybe in 10 years!

Last edited by wyatth; 02-23-2023 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 4
CSBM52716.50
elliotw44100.50
W///7483.50
      02-23-2023, 05:28 PM   #179
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
Thank you! I still have no plans to replace it in the foreseeable future. I'll never say never, but I'm certainly maintaining the car with the long term in mind. I've always maintained things the best I can and, fortunately, find enjoyment in that work. I think my longer-term plans are based on 3 factors:
- This car still makes me smile every time I drive it, and it perfectly suits my needs, balancing practicality with fun. I love its character and find it’s aging well (with respect to character, looks, and general reliability). I don’t generally change things just for the sake of change, and I’m far from bored with the E90 even as I come up on 5 years with it.
- Nothing comparable really interests me. I have zero interest in an F80 or G80. Giulias and C63S' are neat and good looking, but don't offer the full package or character that speaks to me. I simply love the S65+DCT, and would rather add Ohlins and Sportsters than spend on another car.
- The only cars that really do interest me are some 911 models. But I can’t afford the examples I would swap for, and they don’t really fit my current needs anyway. But there’s a good chance the E90 is here to stay until I am ready to move up to a 911. Maybe in 10 years!

My same feelings exactly! And with future cars being hybrid or electric, I suspect I'll keep it til the day I leave this earth.
Appreciate 1
wyatth3548.50
      03-13-2023, 10:18 PM   #180
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

So I decided to take the car in a new direction and I've finally completed the transformation.

... drumroll ...

I changed my license plate frame.

I've always liked the BMW Art Cars, with the E92 GT2 by Jeff Koons being one of my favorites. This particular BMW Performing Art frame is my favorite given its text-less simplicity and subtle ties to that car. Replicas are easy to find, authentic examples less so.

History of the BMW Art Cars: https://www.bmw.com/en/design/histor...-art-cars.html

E92 GT2 by Jeff Koons

Das frame:

And another dozen photos just because.

Last edited by wyatth; 03-14-2023 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 10
Johal E32163.00
JJH542.00
VR1636.50
SAMM3Y3085.00
slcook541863.00
donut_boi997.50
Paco1M101.50
      03-16-2023, 02:50 PM   #181
kerrit
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red e90 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
How much was the revenant amp? For some reason I don't see one on the bavsound website for e9x M3's. My OEM amp stopped outputting power to the under-seat subs, so it's time to upgrade!
      03-17-2023, 12:25 PM   #182
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrit View Post
How much was the revenant amp? For some reason I don't see one on the bavsound website for e9x M3's. My OEM amp stopped outputting power to the under-seat subs, so it's time to upgrade!
Just email BavSound. The product has been discontinued but they have some new old stock still around, and the units are nicely discounted from their original MSRP of ~$1K. I'd say this is a no brainer if your stock amp died, but if you're not interested in upgrading, I'd sell you my factory HiFi amp for the cost of shipping and a pizza.

Last edited by wyatth; 03-17-2023 at 11:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 12:10 PM   #183
kerrit
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red e90 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
Quote:
Just email BavSound. The product has been discontinued but they have some new old stock still around, and the units are nicely discounted from their original MSRP of ~$1K. I'd say this is a no brainer if your stock amp died, but if you're not interested in upgrading, I'd sell you my factory HiFi amp for the cost of shipping and a pizza.
Thank you and very generous of you! Unfortunately I have Individual Audio / Enhanced Premium sound option
wyatth3548.50
      05-04-2023, 12:34 PM   #184
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Ohlins R&T

I've long been interested in the Ohlins R&T kit and had been comparing them to EDC coilovers (B16, Tractive, etc.) for the day when my OE ZCP shocks eventually fatigue. I got a little impatient or had an itch for change, and here we are a bit earlier than expected. My factory hardware has 64K, still holds pressure, no leaks, etc. So not fresh, but not worn out either, and a recent EDC reset helped restore them a bit as well.
I do like EDC and used to switch between modes regularly enough (80% normal mode, 15% comfort mode, 5% sport mode) that I was hoping to retain it (and that's partly why one gets a ZCP car in the first place). Ultimately my car is a street car (not a daily, more of a weekend car) but street manners are more important than outright track performance. So while EDC options have their benefits, the range was always somewhat limited and I wasn't interested in a setup that shifted the whole range to the sportier side (eg, making comfort less comfortable). On the other end, I have no interest in dialing in 2-way coilovers either. The DFV technology seems like a sweet spot for me with the possibility of having my cake and eating it too - better performance than Competition hardware, while also being more compliant and easy to set up.

I installed the Ohlins with new factory front top mounts (I replaced these <10K ago), Dinan camber plates, AKG 85A RSMs, and Swift thrust sheets in the rear. I still have my Dinan front monoballs and front sway bar kit (set to medium). I started with the Ohlins right in the middle at 10 clicks F/R.

Ohlins recommends setting these to ZCP ride height, which is where I set them. For me that means 1/4'' lower up front than before, since I can now adjust to compensate for the added stack height of the Dinan plates. A small difference but I'm very happy with how it sits now, and the sweet spot for retaining drivability.

I've now driven on them for a week and ~200 miles, including a long and fun drive early Saturday AM. They feel fantastic so far! They are tighter and flatter than the ZCP suspension (both roll and pitch), yet less harsh. They are more composed and balanced, inspire confidence, and all of that good stuff, yet miraculously feel no less comfortable overall - they are somehow stiffer, but are less harsh. They are stout but the match between the dampers and springs seems great - they aren't springy/bouncy at all. They also seem very well made, with clean machining, tactile clicks, etc. No surprises there.

I'll play with them over the coming weeks, giving both 6/6 and 14/14 clicks a run just to see how versatile they may be, but suspect I'll end up right around 10/10 anyway. TBD if I adjust the sway bar back to soft or compare different clicks F/R. I'll go back in a few weeks for another alignment and any fine tuning of the height after things settle.

Last edited by wyatth; 05-05-2023 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 5
derbo3605.50
DanMpower3231.00
      06-29-2023, 05:49 PM   #185
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Really, really liking the Ohlins after several hundred miles and varied terrain. They just feel so stout and balanced with less harshness overall than the factory suspension. I loved the idea of EDC and used the different modes regularly, but the Ohlins really do allow you to have your cake and eat it, too. They are extremely comfortable with more speed, but still very tolerable through urban war zones at lower speeds. I have mine set right in the middle and have played with the sway bar a little bit. I’ll continue to fiddle and fine tune, but things won’t change much.

Had everything double checked and re-aligned after things settled. Camber is now -2.4F and -1.8R. Ride height set to ZCP height.

My factory windshield was decently pitted after 12yrs/64K and within weeks I got 2 solid chips, so figured it was time to replace it. I was really tempted to go with the Fuyao solarized/climate comfort option (ie, the purple looking windshield on Euro cars), but instead opted for the OE Pilkington with a fresh OE upper rubber trim. Looking through a fresh windshield sure is nice. I highly recommend Glass on the Go for those in the East Bay.

I recently swapped keys with my neighbor and went for a lovely drive in his 991.2 Carrera T. Seriously neat car, great balance and feel in every respect. What was surprising or notable about this particular model, was that it wasn’t that fast, and that was great – it moved, sure, but it wasn’t scary or dangerously fast. I'm sure it'll walk an E9x but I wasn't really pulling away from him in the E90 while giving the T the beans (gears 2-4). This power level allows you to push it more and have a bit more fun; I can see why a Turbo S could be less fun in many cases. Also notable was that the suspension, while fitting and nice overall, felt materially busier and harsher than the Ohlins. The Porsche owner agreed and loved the S65/DCT and Ohlins.

Just some more recent photos:

Last edited by wyatth; 07-04-2023 at 12:07 AM..
Appreciate 3
      06-30-2023, 07:32 PM   #186
M3_Legend
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 &amp; E91

Just like W/// I also find myself looking for updates on your car. It’s just perfect and no B.S like Carbon every where or blacked out headlights. Your taste is my cup of tea,
2008 E90 335I 6 Speed Black Sapphire M-sport sold
2006 E53 X5 Black Sapphire sold
2011 E91 Silver Automatic sold
2006 E91 Silver Automatic sold
2007 E91 Black sapphire 6 Speed Manuel current
Appreciate 2
wyatth3548.50
      07-01-2023, 04:14 PM   #187
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Legend View Post
Just like W/// I also find myself looking for updates on your car. It’s just perfect and no B.S like Carbon every where or blacked out headlights. Your taste is my cup of tea,
Thank you! It's a boring approach for many, but we can appreciate it.
Appreciate 2
slcook541863.00
M3_Legend352.00
      07-01-2023, 08:59 PM   #188
slcook54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 MR M3 / 2018 SMB M3 CS

Quote:
Thank you! It's a boring approach for many, but we can appreciate it.
Agree on the boring part.
      07-02-2023, 12:08 AM   #189
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
Agree on the boring part.

Appreciate 1
slcook541863.00
      08-03-2023, 10:43 AM   #190
jdmwol2ks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: grey

Quote:
Really, really liking the Ohlins after several hundred miles and varied terrain. They just feel so stout and balanced with less harshness overall than the factory suspension. I loved the idea of EDC and used the different modes regularly, but the Ohlins really do allow you to have your cake and eat it, too. They are extremely comfortable with more speed, but still very tolerable through urban war zones at lower speeds. I have mine set right in the middle and have played with the sway bar a little bit. I’ll continue to fiddle and fine tune, but things won’t change much.

Had everything double checked and re-aligned after things settled. Camber is now -2.4F and -1.8R. Ride height set to ZCP height.

[img]"]https://i.postimg.cc/NF1pvqBH/IMG-2127.jpg[/img]

My factory windshield was decently pitted after 12yrs/64K and within weeks I got 2 solid chips, so figured it was time to replace it. I was really tempted to go with the Fuyao solarized/climate comfort option (ie, the purple looking windshield on Euro cars), but instead opted for the OE Pilkington with a fresh OE upper rubber trim. Looking through a fresh windshield sure is nice. I highly recommend Glass on the Go for those in the East Bay.

[img]"]https://i.postimg.cc/sxFwLDdz/IMG-2154.jpg[/img]

I recently swapped keys with my neighbor and went for a lovely drive in his 991.2 Carrera T. Seriously neat car, great balance and feel in every respect. What was surprising or notable about this particular model, was that it wasn’t that fast, and [...]

Did you get a good price on the OEM? I had the same company do mine too and was going with the aftermarket glass with solar tint until James found me a OE BMW for basically the same price.

How was the work your tech did? I noticed mine had a little too much of the epoxy which I could see from inside the car.
Appreciate 2
Pheonix373.00
wyatth3548.50
      08-03-2023, 11:51 AM   #191
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmwol2ks View Post
Did you get a good price on the OEM? I had the same company do mine too and was going with the aftermarket glass with solar tint until James found me a OE BMW for basically the same price.

How was the work your tech did? I noticed mine had a little too much of the epoxy which I could see from inside the car.
Tagging along for more Information as I need to get my windshield replace as well. Hopefully Hargety will pay for OEM Windshield.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 06:10 PM   #192
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Tagging along for more Information as I need to get my windshield replace as well. Hopefully Hargety will pay for OEM Windshield.
Tagging along to see how Hagerty deals with this. I have same insurance but when I replaced my windshield, I had farmers and got the dealership body shop to install a new oe windshield.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 11:23 AM   #193
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

I was very happy with Glass on the Go. Chris was very communicative with options/pricing/scheduling, and the installer (forget his name, really nice and enthusiastic guy) did a great job (no visible epoxy and whatnot).

I want to give him credit for his patience with me. I had long wanted a solarized windshield (aka Climate Comfort for EU cars). Chris and I had a lot of back and forth on different options, OE vs Fuyao, etc. At first they brought over a Fuyao "solar tinted" option but it was green tinted (like MY08 cars?) and not the purple hue I was expecting. He was happy to take it back and find me what I wanted. At first he had trouble finding the Fuyao solarized option for an E90, but eventually found it. IIRC the pricing was ~$400 for clear Fuyao glass, ~$700 for OE Pilkington, ~$900 for solarized Fuyao, and ~$1800 for OE Climate Comfort from Europe. I ended up getting cold feet on the solarized look, but kind of wish I went for that Fuyao option (I wasn't going to pay $1800 for the OE Climate Comfort windshield). I have a $500 glass deductible with Geico and they push Safelite which I didn't want to use, so they only pay out the difference between your deductible and what Safelite would charge. I think they sent me $50, ha. Maybe other carriers will cover OE replacements and maybe some installers can help facilitate those claims, but that's not the default in CA.

The first Fuyao "solar tinted" windshield ... I did not want that green tint bar.

An older photo, but Davisca455 with his Fuyao solarized on the left, next to my factory clear windshield. I think the look is kind of cool too, but was mostly interested in heat rejection.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 01:16 PM   #194
TigerM3
Private
Rep

I have the purple tint Fuyao. Safelite charged $500 to change it at my house earlier this year. No issues with the tech that did mines. Looks great except I've got two rock chips right next to each other in the center of the glass like 1-2 months after it was installed.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 05:52 PM   #195
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Safelite can be fine, at the end of the day the glass is the same and all of the work comes down to the individual tech. I just couldn't get a clear answer from Safelite on the options. Others have received that windshield from them too, but I couldn't figure out how and their communication portal sucks. I started the process with them and submitted a claim for a new windshield, noted what I wanted, had it all confirmed, and they came out without any windshield to fix my chips. I switched to an installer I could at least speak directly with.

My shop did say he thinks Fuyao quality is comparable to the others. Many bash them for their Chinese origins/name, but they're actually made in the US and OE on many high end cars now and newer BMWs even. I'm sure you'd have the same chips on Pilkington glass.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 07:28 PM   #196
TigerM3
Private
Rep

I bought the car with a cracked windshield so I was paying out of pocket. I wanted the OEM solarized windshield but Safelite was giving me the run around with regards to which employee I needed to get a hold of to track down OEM glass. I gave up and just scheduled it on the website and when the site asked if my car came with solarized glass, I clicked yes. Went to the shop the day before to make sure they had the correct type and of course it Fuyao. I was ok with that though since like you said, it's used on newer BMW's. And yeah the brand had nothing to do with the chip. Caught a rock off of a truck at like 60-65 mph.
Appreciate 1
wyatth3548.50
      12-23-2023, 02:19 AM   #197
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Just wrapped up some work that, while not terribly exciting or transformative, I'd like to share.

In a picture ...

Valve Covers and Vanos Cups

The plastic vanos covers have become a fear for many of us here over the last couple of years. Like RBs, there’s no real way of inspecting them without digging in, at which point you’re going to replace them with one of the various aftermarket solutions now available. I figured it was time to preventively tackle this job so that I could refresh the weeping VCs as well.
The clip-on vanos covers have their obvious benefits (easy install), but recent issues convinced me to go with the unquestionable solution: MPorium vanos cups. There’s not much to say that hasn’t already been said. These are well made, light weight, and are a perfect solution despite their more complicated installation. For whatever it’s worth, my shop said nearly all of the factory plastic covers they see when doing VCs actually look fine, and mine were no exception. They were snug and intact. So while none of this job was needed quite yet, I’m content knowing there’s one less ticking bomb in the engine and it was nice seeing that everything in the top end looked great.
I also decided to go with the MPorium valve covers. I think deansbimmer masterfully refinishes the original magnesium covers and I liked the idea of sticking with the factory part, improved. He also includes vapor honed timing covers for a fresh aesthetic. The parts look great and I am happy with the wrinkle red finish; it’s well done and a nice match with my red accents (calipers, wheel stripe, start button). They look a little darker and less bright in person than in photos.

His detailed threads can be found below. No affiliation, just feedback from a happy customer.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1989608

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1937182

While in there, I of course replaced the vanos bolts and all of the gaskets and seals, including the VCGs and grommets, the camshaft sensor seals, the crankcase vent valve seals, etc. I purchased these all from NRW and MPorium, which included OE BMW parts with the exception of the NRW silicone VC grommets. The NRW grommets seem well made but the packaging of their gasket kit leaves a bit to be desired.
I also replaced the spark plugs (OE NGK, ~20K on the removed units), spark plugs tubes, and the fuel breather valve (I had no FBV symptoms, but it’s cheap and right there).

BavSound Stage One

My car was optioned with the base HiFi audio, which leaves a lot to be desired. I am no audiophile (in fact, quite deaf) but the HiFi was bothersome. It’s totally fine with the windows up or at lower speeds and volumes. I enjoy driving with the windows cracked, which at freeway speeds creates competing wind noise. At these volumes, the HiFi distorts and gets muddy/harsh. I started with the BavSound amplifier (detailed above) which was a great start and bang for the buck. It’s improvement was immediately noticeable. But, naturally, I wanted to finish the setup with the matched speakers (which for E90/HiFi cars includes new mids front/back, new tweeters up front, and adds a pair of tweeters in the rear shelf). I have no intention of replacing the subwoofers, and think the amplifier alone added more than enough bass for what I listen to. I’ve only listened to these a little bit on one drive, and while the difference was not as immediately noticeable as the amplifier, I only then realized that I need to change the tune on the amplifier to match these speakers. I’ve since done that, so I look forward to further testing after which time I’ll report my impressions. Not many pictures, they’re speakers (seemingly well made) and installation is well documented.
Update: The speakers don't seem to make a huge difference at lower volumes, but do maintain clarity at higher volumes. I've taken them up beyond my comfort level with competing wind noise, and they don't really distort at all. So while not a huge difference at typical volumes, they solved my issue in that they maintain clarity at higher volumes. And to be clear, I do not like my music loud - I just want to be able to hear it over wind/road noise at freeway speeds with the windows cracked. But even at normal volumes, they do sound a bit fuller with greater depth and clarity than the stock speakers. All in all, the amplifier is a great place to start and by itself a great value (probably 75% of the total improvement), but I like the combination and they've more than solved my issues with the factory HiFi.

Antigravity Battery

My battery was going on 8yo and was starting to show signs of getting tired. I thought about a basic H6 AGM (was leaning to the Odyssey Performance 48-720) but decided to go for the Antigravity in H6-60ah trim. Reviews have been stellar (especially after a ~2020 BMS update), it’s packed with features, should last a long time, and while the weight loss is immaterial for a street car, was hard to ignore. Installation/coding is straightforward and the faster crank is instantly noticeable and sounds cool. Thanks kevin @ eas

Misc.

At some point, my rear passenger fender got a tiny dent. Couldn’t tell you when or how since it was hardly noticeable, but I wanted it pulled. So I had that done, and it came out perfectly. My rear window seal (the larger piece that is the top and sides) had an unusual rip in one corner, so I replaced that as well.

Annual TWS oil change (4K OCIs) + Techron treatment, nothing noteworthy. I cleaned the Dinan air filter, which after ~5K, was decently dirty on the bottom, and replaced the cabin filters with another set of Corteco (OE) MicronAir units.

I am still playing around with the suspension setup, but think I've found my sweet spot: front sway bar set in the middle, dampers on 12 clicks (F) and 10 clicks (R).

And for an exciting finale, I threw on the OE strut covers to cover the top hats/camber plates since I am no longer running EDC. I also put the OE DCT paddles back on.

After all this work, it was time for a thorough detail. I gave it a deep clean including door jams and engine bay, lubed hinges/mechanisms, then clayed, and topped the exterior and wheels off with two coats of ceramic wax. I finished it up with leather conditioner, tire/rubber dressing, and the windows.

Overall the car is in fantastic physical and mechanical shape. It's in the best condition it's ever been in, feels dialed in, and pulls strong. Placebo or not, fresh oil, clean filters, and fresh plugs feel great!

Before and after of the gasket. Yes, I have OCD.

What’s next?

Hopefully nothing for a while!

- Maybe next year I'll replace the factory fuel pump/filter and injectors as the last part of preventive maintenance/bulletproofing against known issues. I use Techron annually with each oil change to keep the system clean, and it seems awfully premature to replace a lifetime pump/filter and injectors at ~70K, but perhaps cheap insurance at this point.
- When the rear tires wear out, I'll move to GTS sized 285/30s which were not made when I put these 275/35 PS4s on.
- Perhaps a carbon plenum someday, but I'm happy with the Dinan intake and my OCD would require replacing it for the sake of matching carbon weaves.
- I'd love a pair of Recaro Sportsters from AMX, but hard to justify given that I find the factory seats quite comfortable.
- Solid subframe and a YFCM carbon driveshaft would be nice, but perhaps these wait until I can justify a larger refresh "while you're in there."

Photos

Some random pictures taken over the last few months.

Last edited by wyatth; 02-07-2024 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 4
derbo3605.50
akkando5863.00
JJH542.00
      12-24-2023, 03:15 AM   #198
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Lovely update Wyatth, love the final touch on the window sealing...😅.
And for the battery, used original bracket to hold it or is that a special?
Appreciate 1
wyatth3548.50