BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Hard to break traction at rear

So I haven't really gone nuts with the M yet, but I have engaged in some spirited driving. It seems to me that I have too much rear traction compared to other people's experience.

When gunning a 1-2 or 2-3 shift I have absolutely no wheel spin. Is this normal? That seemed odd to me.

In corners I have only once gotten slight slip on a low speed tight corner after applying throttle. Seemed more normal, but I'm surprised at the level of grip. I have driven many other cars that lose rear traction under far far less stress.

Is something wrong with my car or does this car really have that much grip or is traction control really interfering aggressively?

Of course I don't desire to be spinning wildly out of control, but I do like feeling what the car is doing so that I CAN control it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 01:11 AM   #2
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post
So I haven't really gone nuts with the M yet, but I have engaged in some spirited driving. It seems to me that I have too much rear traction compared to other people's experience.

When gunning a 1-2 or 2-3 shift I have absolutely no wheel spin. Is this normal? That seemed odd to me.

In corners I have only once gotten slight slip on a low speed tight corner after applying throttle. Seemed more normal, but I'm surprised at the level of grip. I have driven many other cars that lose rear traction under far far less stress.

Is something wrong with my car or does this car really have that much grip or is traction control really interfering aggressively?

Of course I don't desire to be spinning wildly out of control, but I do like feeling what the car is doing so that I CAN control it.
With traction control off, these cars are super easy to spin. Regardless of tire type.
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 01:48 AM   #3
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Is you dsc on? These things will spin super easy and i suggest you dont if you cant.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 04:21 AM   #4
Kosta1968
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 Competition

Garage List
2019 BMW F87 M2  [10.00]
Have spun the rears even with DCT in MDM mode its easy.

2019 F87 M2 Competition
2021 G80 M3 Competition (sold)
2010 E90 M3 Competition (sold)
1995 E36 M3 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 05:12 AM   #5
burakkose
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: i8

turn dsc off and spin around the world
      05-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Very easy to spin with DSC off unless you have some serious tires in back. With 295 AD08 on 11" rims and KW CS suspension my car can take a lot more throttle before swinging the rear out. But it still loves to slide, especially around tracks.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
imserious
Major
Rep

Stock tires. I guess it is the DSC which is ON all the time. Still, is it normal not to break the rears on WOT 1-2 shifts? They are brand new tires if that matters.

Will have to find a place where it is safe to test with DSC off and learn the limits that way. Let me know guys if you know of any car control classes that you would recommend. I would love to attend something like that as a precursor to a track day.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

Quote:
Stock tires. I guess it is the DSC which is ON all the time. Still, is it normal not to break the rears on WOT 1-2 shifts? They are brand new tires if that matters.

Will have to find a place where it is safe to test with DSC off and learn the limits that way. Let me know guys if you know of any car control classes that you would recommend. I would love to attend something like that as a precursor to a track day.
If they are super new then it's possible they are still a little slick from the coating they get at the factory. What kind of tires are they?

For finding car control classes, I'd suggest checking out motorsportreg.com. You can search for events within a certain radius of a zip code and see what you can find. But don't feel like you have to do a car control class before doing an HPDE. I jumped right into the HPDE, had a blast, and learned a ton.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

I'd suggest an autocross first. They provide a safe venue to slide the car around with DSC off, and are dirt cheap.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
imserious
Major
Rep

Both good suggestions. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0