BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-03-2021, 06:51 PM   #1717
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Oh, I know one. I’m guilty of watching the horses while driving. Glancing at them every 30 seconds or so while in motion and looking at them while stopped at traffic lights on the video cam that’s hooked up to the trailer.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 08:05 PM   #1718
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
I can’t think of anything else at the moment...
Uh, hello? Air drumming. Even air guitar if you're into that weirdness.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 08:15 PM   #1719
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Yep! Typing on our mobile computers while driving - especially Code 3 driving - can be quite distracting, as can working the radio (...as in, the radio that communicates with dispatch, etc.), coordinating calls, navigating your partners, etc. I agree with the above poster that mentioned limiting distractions. It's at the point now where my department is beginning to come down on us for using the mobile computer while driving (...acquired and confirmed via body worn camera footage). I don't think there's a way around it because the patrol car is the office and multitasking while driving is the name of the game.
With modern technology, I'm surprised that Siri-Like devices can't be implemented. A lot of computers use voice recognition, and I don't see why something like that couldn't be used in your cars. Cost perhaps?
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12796.50
      04-03-2021, 08:15 PM   #1720
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
With modern technology, I'm surprised that Siri-Like devices can't be implemented. A lot of computers use voice recognition, and I don't see why something like that couldn't be used in your cars. Cost perhaps?
Um that AND cell phones.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 08:19 PM   #1721
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Uh, hello? Air drumming. Even air guitar if you're into that weirdness.
Yes! When “Silencio” by David Bisbal comes on my playlist, I turn into a drummer. favorite song.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 08:38 PM   #1722
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Oh, I know one. I’m guilty of watching the horses while driving. Glancing at them every 30 seconds or so while in motion and looking at them while stopped at traffic lights on the video cam that’s hooked up to the trailer.
Triggered much yet? We get it, you don't have to try to validate your texting and driving habits, we know you do it already. No point in me continuing with this banter though lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 08:39 PM   #1723
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Triggered much yet? We get it, you don't have to try to validate your texting and driving habits, we know you do it already. No point in me continuing with this banter though lol.
All good
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 08:40 PM   #1724
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:
Yep! Typing on our mobile computers while driving - especially Code 3 driving - can be quite distracting, as can working the radio (...as in, the radio that communicates with dispatch, etc.), coordinating calls, navigating your partners, etc. I agree with the above poster that mentioned limiting distractions. It's at the point now where my department is beginning to come down on us for using the mobile computer while driving (...acquired and confirmed via body worn camera footage). I don't think there's a way around it because the patrol car is the office and multitasking while driving is the name of the game.
Responding to a Hot Shot and trying to read details on the workstation, talk on the radio and not spill your fresh coffee, watching for folks that seem to have no idea when they see and hear the lights and sirens, clear intersection.....good times.

I got into an "unofficial" pursuit yesterday with a motorist who decided my patrol car's position (...with lights activated and blocking multiple lanes of traffic) didn't apply to him and he didn't need to yield, and felt inclined to drive over a raised concrete median to circumvent me. I conducted a traffic stop and he yielded; I was seconds away from putting it out over dispatch that I was in pursuit of a reckless DUI. Not surprisingly, he was intoxicated, had no license/insurance (..only a Matricular card) and he had just committed a misdemeanor hit & run and fled the scene. The victims were in pursuit of him when they observed me initiate a chase. He's toast!.....and I took his truck.
What a moron

Did you have to pull the burner on him lol?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 10:07 PM   #1725
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Speaking of pursuits, have you ever been in a squad car that broke down while in a pursuit?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25086.50
      04-03-2021, 10:48 PM   #1726
JN1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: S211 AMG E63

But Steve.... errrr Sedan_Clan ... favorite pizza topping?
      04-04-2021, 01:53 AM   #1727
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Any time! The goal in creating this thread was to help create dialogue.

IF you are detained AND being investigated for a crime, you must identify yourself when the officer inquires about who you are. IF you are merely a passenger in a vehicle AND you are not being investigated OR the encounter is casual/consensual on behalf of the officer, you do not have to identify yourself. With that said - and as Murf993 already alluded to - failure to identify will only make the officer/deputy suspicious and result in further inquiries about/into who you are. It's attention you don't really need.

Exactly this!

By BAR you mean.....?!?!

Lots of company owned vehicles are registered out of state and driven here. It's no issue.
Bureau of Automotive Repair, basically like a state-sanctioned in-depth SMOG inspection where they will check EVERYTHING

Quote:
Ohhhh! Good question. I believe so though. Plus you only have so many days to register a vehicle once you relocate here. The same applies to driver's licenses. The state can make it difficult for you very quickly.

Pepperoni!!!! Woot woot!
So the specific situation would be registering a car in Montana like many people do all over the country. I've heard CA has cracked down on that to some extent but not sure how true it is since I see it almost daily. It would be registered as company-owned by a company in Montana, and I have CA residence, license, etc.
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #1728
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Speaking of registration we have TONS of part time residents here in Arizona. Many own second homes and keep cars here full time. Some of them don't feel the need to register in AZ even when the car never goes back to their "home" state.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1366.00
      04-04-2021, 12:14 PM   #1729
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
Quote:
Any time! The goal in creating this thread was to help create dialogue.

IF you are detained AND being investigated for a crime, you must identify yourself when the officer inquires about who you are. IF you are merely a passenger in a vehicle AND you are not being investigated OR the encounter is casual/consensual on behalf of the officer, you do not have to identify yourself. With that said - and as Murf993 already alluded to - failure to identify will only make the officer/deputy suspicious and result in further inquiries about/into who you are. It's attention you don't really need.

Exactly this!

By BAR you mean.....?!?!

Lots of company owned vehicles are registered out of state and driven here. It's no issue.
Bureau of Automotive Repair, basically like a state-sanctioned in-depth SMOG inspection where they will check EVERYTHING

Quote:
Ohhhh! Good question. I believe so though. Plus you only have so many days to register a vehicle once you relocate here. The same applies to driver's licenses. The state can make it difficult for you very quickly.

Pepperoni!!!! Woot woot!
So the specific situation would be registering a car in Montana like many people do all over the country. I've heard CA has cracked down on that to some extent but not sure how true it is since I see it almost daily. It would be registered as company-owned by a company in Montana, and I have CA residence, license, etc.
We aren't really looking for out of state registrations. The only time it becomes a factor is if we pull someone over.
Appreciate 2
Vivek.1366.00
mahalom3163.00
      04-04-2021, 12:16 PM   #1730
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Responding to a Hot Shot and trying to read details on the workstation, talk on the radio and not spill your fresh coffee, watching for folks that seem to have no idea when they see and hear the lights and sirens, clear intersection.....good times.

I got into an "unofficial" pursuit yesterday with a motorist who decided my patrol car's position (...with lights activated and blocking multiple lanes of traffic) didn't apply to him and he didn't need to yield, and felt inclined to drive over a raised concrete median to circumvent me. I conducted a traffic stop and he yielded; I was seconds away from putting it out over dispatch that I was in pursuit of a reckless DUI. Not surprisingly, he was intoxicated, had no license/insurance (..only a Matricular card) and he had just committed a misdemeanor hit & run and fled the scene. The victims were in pursuit of him when they observed me initiate a chase. He's toast!.....and I took his truck.
What a moron

Did you have to pull the burner on him lol?
Thankfully I didn't need to, but man.....I was pissed at the blatant disregard he demonstrated.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
mahalom3163.00
      04-04-2021, 12:18 PM   #1731
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Cost is everything. We can't even get vehicles to replace those damaged in crashes. We surely aren't getting voice automation anything. Lol!
Appreciate 5
vreihen1615256.00
TiMSport12796.50
Murf99314114.00
rwheels7066.50
mahalom3163.00
      04-04-2021, 12:19 PM   #1732
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Speaking of pursuits, have you ever been in a squad car that broke down while in a pursuit?
Yep! Lol! That's why I no longer use the Crown Victoria. I stick to Explorers exclusively.
Appreciate 3
upstatedoc7559.50
Murf99314114.00
mahalom3163.00
      04-04-2021, 03:36 PM   #1733
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Quote:
Yep! Lol! That's why I no longer use the Crown Victoria. I stick to Explorers exclusively.
Every time I see a civilian Explorer I think police car, because they are so commonly used these days. I know the Ford Police Interceptor Utility is equipped differently than a standard Explorer, but they look similar to me.
      04-04-2021, 06:09 PM   #1734
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
All it would learn was profanity.
Appreciate 3
rwheels7066.50
vreihen1615256.00
Vivek.1366.00
      04-04-2021, 06:10 PM   #1735
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Do you ever get scared when other people tell you they have weapons in the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 06:23 PM   #1736
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Every time I see a civilian Explorer I think police car, because they are so commonly used these days. I know the Ford Police Interceptor Utility is equipped differently than a standard Explorer, but they look similar to me.
They are your standard Ford's, just outfitted for pursuits. Ford's have my respect more than probably any other make. Our cars are rarely ever turned off, often going from shift to shift with no rest. We beat on them, we run them hard and they still handle it......shift after shift after shift. They are the prostitutes of the automotive world.

Quote:
Quote:
All it would learn was profanity.
Yep! Lol!

Quote:
Do you ever get scared when other people tell you they have weapons in the vehicle?
Not really. I guess it's something I'm so used to experiencing that I'm numb to it.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      04-04-2021, 06:40 PM   #1737
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Pfft! Weapons? Hah! The scary ones, I would think, are those who have a bad case of 'Do you know who I am?' disease. You know, because they know the mayor.

A bad case of 'Do you know who I am?' disease
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      04-04-2021, 06:46 PM   #1738
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Pfft! Weapons? Hah! The scary ones, I would think, are those who have a bad case of 'Do you know who I am?' disease. You know, because they know the mayor.

A bad case of 'Do you know who I am?' disease
A PhD Commissioner it doesn't matter what they do.. Jesus..

I can say every time I've been pulled over, I turn into the biggest kiss ass. Probably why I've never received a ticket in my life. If you can make the officer laugh, you're golden.
Appreciate 0