BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

04-05-2021, 12:49 AM   #1
sam1988m3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3

Issues after servicing my e92 m3

Hey all,

I recently took my m3 to a shop to fix an oil leak. After the shop inspected the vehicle, I was told that replacing the hydraulic tensioner, the valve cover gaskets, and the timing cover gaskets should fix it. So I had them do all of that work.

After all of that work was done, I started to experience idle and vibration issues. Specifically, the RPMs would occasionally (almost randomly) jump up and down -- and, in doing so, the car shut off on me at least three times. And, when I start the car cold, the car occasionally makes a vibration noise for a few seconds. I did not experience any of these issues before the services were performed. Below are links to videos that show the idle issue and the vibration issue.

To try to figure out the source of the vibration noise, I popped my hood and started the car cold. The vibration is definitely coming from under the hood. And I couldn't help but to notice that one of the valve cover bolts is broken or missing. I included an image showing the the missing or broken bolt.

Do you think these issues (including the bolt) are related to the services provided? I don't want to identify the shop (especially when I am not even sure whether it is their fault). And I don't want to jump into the conclusion that it is the shop's fault. It is a reputable shop, but I also know that it is not impossible for things to fall through the cracks (especially when they are busy).

I would appreciate any thoughts you might have. Thank you in advance.

Vibration noise: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18bT...ew?usp=sharing
Bad idle: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18hz...ew?usp=sharing
Bad idle: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18mT...ew?usp=sharing
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 08:15 AM   #2
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Take it back and ask them to check to make sure everything went back together correctly.

Sounds like it could be a vacuum leak, so something like the intake manifold not going back in correctly, pcv, or any of the tubes weren't connected. Something like that is where I would start.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 01:56 PM   #3
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

A noob to the S65 broke that bolt off. It's there for... decoration. Only. If the shop can find it, some Gorilla Glue will attach it back to the plenum.

Definitely take it back and have them look at it. Pulling codes would be a good start.
      04-18-2021, 02:55 PM   #4
sam1988m3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3

Good to know that the bolt is there for decoration. In that case, I don't think the shop messed with that bolt -- they work on a ton of e92s.

I bought a Carly and pulled the codes. See the codes in the attached images.

What do you think?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 07:26 PM   #5
Rob-Shanghai
Rob-Shanghai
China
Rep
Drives: M3 E93

Garage List
2013 e93 M3  [0.00]
I don’t know how many times I read the chrome nuts on the top of the plenum are only for decoration. Obviously people who I never taken one off and looked at it properly. Why make stuff up.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 07:34 PM   #6
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

A6D1 is your aux water pump and won't cause driving issues. Many people don't even notice it and drive with permanent A6D1.
Appreciate 0