BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-21-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Driving fast in the neighborhood.

Ok so I had a shitty ass day at work today. One of those days that you bring your anger back to your home, and you're in such a foul mood you take some of it out on your wife. After I got home and showered I went out to bring some fast food home. As I turn into my neighborhood, I step on the gas a little agressively, keep in mind I'm in 1st gear the whole time, and I have an exhaust. In all honesty it was faster than I should have been going, but not crazy fast. Then this guy yells, "HEY!!" at me. I stop suddenly and reverse quickly to say back to him, "What?!" I've got some road rage plus the bad day at work in me. He lowers his voice down, but says sternly, "When you drive in this neighborhood drive slow...please!" I didn't have a come back as he's pretty much in the right. Only thing I could have said was maybe something like, "OK, I'll lower my speed, but lower your damn voice also." Anyways I just muttered ok and drove home pissed.

I know others who have gotten yelled at by parents who think the street is their 5 year old's mini hockey field. I actually went out of my house and rang the doorbell to the house I thought they lived in to explain the shitty day I've had and to apologize, but they didn't live there.

How many of you have had this same experience. Are you the one yelling at others to slow down in the neighborhood? I've got this mother *ucking Honda Civic with a loud ass exhaust that wakes me up at 5 am all the time throwing news letters out at houses.

*end rant*

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
I crawl through my neighborhood, it's the effin soccer moms in the minivans and suv's that go down the street at 40 mph. The exhaust doesn't help. Even going 25 gives the illusion of speed with the sporty exhaust note.
      07-21-2009, 11:53 PM   #3
fpblue
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E90

I've been yelled at when I wasn't going too fast, just in 1st and the exhaust sounds fast. This happened twice to me. The second time I reversed my car as well and confronted the guy. While I felt like jumping out and cracking him, I just said "I am not going fast, just revving high in first. It just sounds fast". Since I am a large individual, the guy was apologetic. Having a car like ours makes us targets. If someone yells at me today, I try to understand.

Now that I have a young child, I get pissed at the idiots that fly down my street. I generally like to Live and Let Live, but a few times I've yelled at some idiots. On those occurences the drivers were young males that were flying around the corner. Knowing how young males tend to drive, as I was one too, I want to make sure that they think of me everytime that they take that turn. It it saves a child or a pet, then it is worth it.

I drive fast on the highway and big streets, but never in a neighborhood.
      07-21-2009, 11:54 PM   #4
fpblue
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
I crawl through my neighborhood, it's the effin soccer moms in the minivans and suv's that go down the street at 40 mph. The exhaust doesn't help. Even going 25 gives the illusion of speed with the sporty exhaust note.
Yep, or the Range Rover moms that think they are invinsible. Their 5000lb tank of a car can cause a lot of damage, but they are too busy drinking their coffee and looking at themselves in the mirror.
      07-21-2009, 11:56 PM   #5
islandsnow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 AW

your too nice John, he was in the wrong for yelling at you in the first place
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

it's ur neighborhood, u wouldn't want another person to drive like that in it right? gotta keep up the good rep of ur neighborhood.
      07-22-2009, 12:02 AM   #7
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Some douchebag in a bud light delivery van followed me because apparently I was going to fast in a neighborhood. Well I wasn't. I was actually going the speed limit (20 mph in a 20mph zone) My cars a little loud so I guessed from the sound he thought I was hauling ass? I'm not sure how though.. oh and he followed me onto the highway for like 5 miles...f'ing psycho
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 12:03 AM   #8
M3luvr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 E90 DCT Silverstone

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Having 2 kids of my own, I try to slow down when in our neighborhood. I do on occasion make sharp turns when there are no other cars or people on the streets-the kids love it. It's usually my neighbors in their big suv that speed, so I'm the one doing the yelling at times, but usually not loud enough for them to hear.
      07-22-2009, 12:08 AM   #9
lebreeze
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18’c63s,15’macanturbo,14’ 991s

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
I'm the same way I try not to speed in the neighborhood either. But I especially slow down if someones on the road. I hate it when I'm going for a jog and some asshole flys by me.
      07-22-2009, 12:18 AM   #10
sard
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duk View Post
it's ur neighborhood, u wouldn't want another person to drive like that in it right? gotta keep up the good rep of ur neighborhood.
Yeah that's basically it. This is my neighborhood. I walk my dogs around the block all the time so I don't really wanna start shit.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 12:34 AM   #11
Montoya
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GT3

Keep it low and slow-

It's a terrible way to meet your neighbors. I try to keep it under 25. I used to not care, but after "meeting" some neighbors this way I just try to build the rep that while my car is cool and fast, I am always going slow.

Worst experience was in Nashville when someone actually came to my house to complain about my driving "scaring" his wife. At the time I had a loud IROC Camaro that sounded like a NASCAR stocker when going 30 mph...

Bottom line, go slow enough so you can hear them make the nice comments on the car!

'08 E92 IB, Gone
'10 GT3 now in my garage!
'10 X5 3.5D
'12 E91 Xi Wagon MT sports package
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 01:00 AM   #12
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

I never speed in my hood, but one day I was going down a hill close to my home, coming up to a 4 way stop. Very good visibility in all directions and I did the california roll at very slow speed. Some guy walking on the foothpath, not even close to the stop sign yells "Hey, you're supposed to stop at the f****ing line". I just shook my head and drove on.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 01:12 AM   #13
sard
Major
Rep

I think ppl like that are asking to get shot by some whackos one day.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 01:27 AM   #14
davedave
Captain
Rep
Drives: Godzilla

keep it slows, respects other =) , show people M3 driver is respectful
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 01:33 AM   #15
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Some kid blew through my parents neighborhood last Thursday night. Rolled his Suburban and killed himself. I was watching my parents house for them so on my way back from an interesting night back to their house I find a hell of scene. People have been leaving flowers and stuff under the tree as a memorial. My only thought was why at 2am is someone going fast enough to roll their SUV and kill themselves when the posted speed limit is 25

Thank god all he did was kill himself (the house he almost hit has kids, and the house across the street also has a bunch of young kids), though that in and of itself is a tragedy, total and complete tragedy.

My point: forget the guy yelling at you, slow down as a favor to yourself, never know who or what might jump out in front of you. Even if you were ok, imagine have a dead kid on your conscious? That would really suck....

Not lecturing at all, just giving some personal experience mixed with my .02

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 01:35 AM   #16
sard
Major
Rep

yah..

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 02:48 AM   #17
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I don't even get the revs up past 2.5K in my neighborhood or any residential type 25 limit area--I had too much grief with my Acura while driving with revs up the at a slow speed. People yelling at me or leaving the little notes on my car. It's just not worth the hassle and the M3 is way more of a target.

I usually drive about 20 MPH as well--I've just had one too many close calls with a kids shooting out from behind a trucks/minivans.

It really pisses people off when about I drive 20 since folks are more or less used to going 35 or 40. I think the fact I'm driving an M3 just rubs it in more. But what are they going to do about it--complain I'm driving "too slow"? No one's bitched to me about it. I'll confess it's fun to slow the "Mom in a hurry talking on her cell while checking herself in the rear view" down. A bit evil? Yeah, but kinda fun.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 03:16 AM   #18
808E90
808E90
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandsnow View Post
your too nice John, he was in the wrong for yelling at you in the first place
Too nice? ... I hate to say it but as nice as you are, you are also the wrong one!

I'm sure you can all remember a time when you use to play on the streets as a kid. I have a little one so with that in mind I NEVER speed in neighborhoods!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 03:20 AM   #19
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
I don't get the "HEY" but sometimes when I'm hauling ass up the hill where I live, some people walking their dogs just stop and look, and not the good kind of stare the bad one where it's like "this asshole needs to slow down." I feel bad every time I experience this yet I still haul ass when the moods right.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 07:18 AM   #20
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

I had an older guys motion for me to slow down when I was doing 30kph in a 50kph zone.... I was so shocked that I didn't know what to do except look at him with a confused look while I continued at 30kph.

I think the E92 M3 looks fast while standing....
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 07:23 AM   #21
Robo Squirrel
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

this has happened to me many many times....all the time in the viper...i mean i was doing the speed limit, but in first gear with the race exhaust apperently u sound like u are doing about 210 mph. happened all the time in the e46 w/ full ss
      07-22-2009, 08:33 AM   #22
rawedge2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 STI - 08 M3

i might have one of the #1 worst towns in the U.S. for people thinking there the mayor of the town, ive had people yell, run into the street, even throw things..

i call these people "hero's"

I try to act dumb to the situations, and wave as if they were trying to say hello to me, so i smile and go about my day.. (which is good for me b/c i might have a little bit of a short fuse, it could get under my skin if i dwell on it)

and as for the real @$$holes, "you do this in front of your own house"..?
how stupid could you be.. (plus im gonna rip it by if i see you outside just to get your blood pressure goin a little )

... i wouldnt ever say anything to anyone about driving, unless they were wreckless enough to endanger my life, or someone close to me somehow ...

and for the record, when i speed.. its not much above the speed limit, theres no point in hitting 90mph in a 30mph zone (thats dangerous), but if i wanna rip it 0-30mph then cruise the rest of the block "so be it", "yea i took off quick, but i could stop quicker.."