BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
Acornz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
2006 325xi  [0.00]
My first M3 questions

Currently driving a 2010 535i, and to make a long story short I'm having early problems with what is likely the HPFP. I'm getting out of my lease and have decided I would like to get into an M3 (should've just got it in the first place). We've been through half a dozen BMWs and never would've guessed we'd run into one this big, but oh well.

Now, this being my first M any words of advice the veterans have to offer? Any common issues (like the HPFP in my car) I should know about? I'm not to familiar with mods on this car, what kind of splitters/lips are out there? Is the suspension a lot different with the competition package? Any input regarding the double clutch transmission vs. manual? Thanks for the tips
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
DadzM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I just came from a 535 that was nothing but trouble. Lots of electrical gremlins. I don't think you can go wrong going to an M car. Two very different cars though and they do not compare, I think in anyway at all. The M has a totally different feel to it (I think the 3 series in general feels totally different from the 5 series) My M is not loaded up with all the options so I can't answer the questions about the suspension, but the transmissions are a personal taste. I prefer to drive a stick car and use a clutch. With that said they both drive great and from what I understand the stick is a touch slower.
      07-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
Scoobe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SSII/SN/DCT

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [10.00]
I went through this a few months back. But really decided it for me was the test drive. I was committed to the 4 door (kid seat) but was on the fence about the DCT/6MT. Part of me wanted an automatic so I didn't have to mess with a stick and a screaming kid in the back seat. Another part of me just doesn't like auto transmissions and I'm used to a stick. That was until I test drove the DCT. It was a no brainer for me, the DCT was awesome and I loved the ability to program it the way you want to drive. So I went with the DCT. The competition package does have a slightly more stiff ride. It's not much but I noticed it. So I declined. Most of the time I'm going to have my kid in the back and wanted as much comfort ride as I could get, but still have the option to stiffin it up for playing around. So I opted out of the ZCP and got the EDC. Though the CP wheels are pretty, mine just came in today and the 19 inch wheels are 2 tone graphite/silver. Ended up looking great on my Silverstone II. I would also recommend the tech package so you can get MDM and program your M drive (requires iDrive).

So DCT/6MT is just up to you and your driving style.
CP has some additional programming, but if you don't plan on tracking it much, you may not want to give up that small portion of the ride. Wheels are nice looking though.
I think tech package is a must if for anything to program your M button. Thats just me personally.
If your going with leather interior, for a couple hundred bucks more you can get the Premium package that includes it.
And get the ipod adaptor, if for anything resale.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
Acornz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Thanks for the feedback. Now I'm gonna have to drive the DCT to see for myself. I really like my current 535 but if I knew about this beforehand (should've done my homework) I would've just got a 550. I've always wanted an M3 so this is good enough reason for me
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

I got my M3 sedan last Sept after having a 2008 535xi for about 20 months. No comparison, the M is just a whole different car, and much more involving. The V8 is awesome, and I have the DCT and love it. Let's you be passive or aggressive at the touch of a button. I like the M3 size better than the E60 sedan as well.

It's a no-brainer to me. Coupe or sedan, stick or DCT are your choices. Good luck.

I have only 8600kms on mine now, and no issues whatsoever.
      07-08-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acornz View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Now I'm gonna have to drive the DCT to see for myself. I really like my current 535 but if I knew about this beforehand (should've done my homework) I would've just got a 550. I've always wanted an M3 so this is good enough reason for me
That 550i is just SICK....... love it!!!!