BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-09-2021, 03:58 PM   #1
Nisfro98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mazda3

Rock chip repair

Just had my bumper license plate drill holes repaired. Probably 10 or so drill holes. Dealerships are jackasses. Anyway it looks fantastic. They even painted my side markers to match. Took it to a detailer to get a quote on paint correction and ceramic coating. The whole works. Told myself well if I'm gonna throw 1-1.5k on the detailing job may as well get the rock chips on the hood fixed. Go back to the body shop and they quoted me on an entire hood repaint and fenders too so it all blends well. They said bc the paint, Melbourne red, has metallic in it it won't blend with the rest of the hood well. The chip areas will turn dark or some shit and won't look good. He basically compared it to looking like crayon marks.

My question is has anyone done a rock chip diy repair on their MR? I remember reading some posts about folks using Dr. Colorchip or something or other and being happy with the result. Not sure what color their cars were however. Just wondering if I'd be wasting my time doing it. Either way really. Even getting the chips fixed I'd still he getting chips again unless I got a clear bra wrap. And that's even more $$. Down the rabbit hole I am and I kind wish I hadn't even started.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 04:48 PM   #2
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06/Z07

Body shop isn't lying to you. Metallic touch up is usually a crap shoot at best. Even Dr. Colorchip states that the metallic or tri-coat colors will likely not blend perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 02:17 PM   #3
OzCoE92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3

OEM touch up paint will be your best bet. Talk to that detail shop as well, some places will touch up and wet sand the chips before they start buffing on the car. That may be best instead of trying to repaint the hood/blending the front end.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 05:59 PM   #4
tbuck
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2016 F23 M235i

Biggest problem with metallic paints when it comes to touch-up is the dual layers almost all of them use. Base coat and then another coat with the flakes that is of varying levels of transparency. On top of that is clear. So to fix a rock chip is very difficult to impossible depending on how deep the chip. If it is down to the primer, forget it, it will never look right. Just into the clear or top coat, maybe you won't notice it so much. Best bet is to do as they are suggesting and paint the front clip where they can blend it all back. Sucks, but that is how it is.
      08-03-2021, 07:48 PM   #5
bhowelett
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 MR E93 M3 DCT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E93  [10.00]
Just touched up some rock chips on my 08 MR with Scratches Happen and am happy with the results. Color was a perfect match for me. I'd recommend it for some small touch ups. That's all I needed done.

Just be careful with the clear coat. It's easy to pool it.

https://www.amazon.com/ScratchesHapp...89&sr=8-11
Attached Images

Appreciate 0