BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

07-02-2017, 04:57 PM   #1
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW 135i, '13 Frozen M3

Possibly useful info for you OEM exhaust modders?

As some of you know from my other thread, I am in a process of coating MPE v1 black to match rest of my M3 individual black trim.

While prepping the MPE for ceramic coating, I've noticed that you can in fact see through the muffler, i.e. looking into any one of the 4 tail pipes, you can see through the other side into the connecting pipe port.

I have no way of telling what's going on in the "canisters", whether or not there is any of the dampening material inside the center etc., but thought this might be useful to some of you considering the various different OEM mods available.

From the pics, you can see the blue tarp through the muffler openings. From this it would appear that the "bypass" mod is the closest to MPE design.

Ignore this thread if this is a commonly known fact .

Couple pics attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 12:28 AM   #2
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

There's a lot more to MPE than just a seemingly straight through channel, there are definitely chambers inside.

There's a reason that none of the OE exhaust mods sound like a MPE. There's a very distinctive rasp and high pitched sound to the MPE than any other exhaust for this car, whereas all the OE exhaust mod variations have way more low-end tones. I wonder if the construction material Inconel has anything to do with sound.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 1
JsL447.50