BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-15-2023, 05:40 PM   #1
Quinticus
Rep
Drives: 440i m240i

Bomiz quality question

Hi everyone. On every post about the bomiz exhaust for the e92 m3, it's either people saying you can get the same thing on alibaba or from valvetronic (the company not the term) for cheaper or people trying to buy one for 4k lol. To me, wettm3 (on youtube) has the best sounding m3 ive heard on video and it has a bomiz exhaust. Now I know this is sketchy because of differences in audio recording equipment, but frmo what I can tell it's just a gopro.

And it sounds better to me than the valvetronic v2 that people say is the same thing and I can't find many videos of these alibaba parts, and the one i did see was inside so i didn't get a good idea. It also looked way cheaper to me and didn't sound remotly similar to the bomiz. Has anyone had experience hearing both the supposedly overhyped bomiz exhaust and an alibaba or valvetronic one? I kinda would rather not spend 6k and get the valvetronic if it's really just the difference in audio recording.
Cheers!
Appreciate 1
M_Torx328.00
      01-15-2023, 11:11 PM   #2
Quinticus
Rep

Mb I thought the bmw forumn would have people with experience on such an old platform. Guess not. The reddit aint gonna give me info tho i can garuntee that. This the only place you can search a specific gen
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 11:56 PM   #3
Mjlevine
Private
Rep
Drives: 535i/m3

Bump is wondering the same thing and want to know if it’s worth the investment in the brand names
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 08:13 AM   #4
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E85 Z4 / 2013 E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
There are multiple reasons why people don't buy gimmicky exhausts like this. A few members on the forum run a valvtronic (or valved exhaust) but not many.

Why put on an additional part that could break when you could simple have a straight piped exhaust with multiple after markets that sound good.

Most valved exhausts I've ever heard sound exactly like some dodge or ford trash, no thanks.

-Duke
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 09:46 AM   #5
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Not running a full bomiz but I’ll be running a bomiz x-pipe paired with a turner valved axleback in the spring. I can comment then about it.

Not sure if turner sourced their exhaust from somewhere or designed and built it themselves. It is definitely a different looking design than bomiz/valvetronic
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 2
M_Torx328.00
      01-16-2023, 10:30 AM   #6
M_Torx
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

+ 1 for turner will be going with valved axle back titanium... the rest up from that other stuff
      01-16-2023, 02:59 PM   #7
Quinticus
Rep

Personally I say why not? Unless it's your second weekend car, its obnoxious and rude to have a full staight pipe that you can hear for like 6 blocks around town, plus way too much cop attention. The bomiz actually works very effectively. Its barely louder than stock with valves closed and a full straight pipe with the valves open. You can scrub through this to hear the insane difference:

Its the only one i can find that isnt too raspy at that volume and in that video he cruises at like 2-3k rpm valves open and you cant hear the exhaust. You only hear it once you get on it. No other exhaust on the market makes such a difference in the sound without being tinny and metallic. Bomiz is deep. yes you have one electronic part that can fail, but in return you have a car that can turn from daily driver to nascar at the click of a button. Reason i'm even asking the question is because you can't tell everything from video, and while wettm3 is the best e92 i've heard on youtube, that isn't to say he doesnt just have really nice canyon walls to reverberate his exhaust off of. Like idk how it is for real im just making an educated guess like anyone else
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 03:00 PM   #8
Quinticus
Rep

That sounds like a good idea. Prety sure the xpipe is whree most of the bomiz "sound" comes from
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 08:19 PM   #9
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

I have the Bomiz exhaust and had mine ceramic coated in black and gloss black tips. I will say I am very happy with the sound. Easy to install and have had no issues with it. I bought I back with the group buy.
Appreciate 1
M_Torx328.00
      01-17-2023, 05:20 AM   #10
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

quality is really subjective, this applies to the trio of bomiz, valvetronic(aliexpress), and whatever other rebranded mufflers out there...........

first point here is going to be the material - for one american stainless or even america steel is considerably higher quality than chinese metal.

second point - the labor used to make anything in china is always questionable, whether its underaged child labor or unskilled laborers welding in a poorly made jig either way its not going to be preferable.

in summary, its your car, do what you want. these aliexpress valved exhaust systems are not high quality. austin from valvetronic did really good on the market because he is really good at marketing not because his m3 exhausts are good quality.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 4
      01-17-2023, 05:02 PM   #11
M_Torx
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

what are all the options for titanium exhaust the ones listed plus turner ?
      12-14-2023, 08:49 PM   #12
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT888 View Post
+ 1 for turner will be going with valved axle back titanium... the rest up from that other stuff
Sadly the Turner axle-back exhaust [SS & Ti] has proven to be 'junk' according to multiple forum buyers... read the saga https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1962276

Essentially, aside from Bespoke manufacturers, most all AM exhaust options for e9x actually originate from Asia [this factually includes several BMW OE parts manf in China/Asia...check for yourselves].

For the most part, exhaust are simply bent metal 'alloy' pipe aside from electric/vacuum valved units.
That said, enjoy what 'sounds' please ya

Last edited by smokinjoe64; 12-14-2023 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 07:25 PM   #13
Quinticus
Rep

Yea its all just a piece of metal to me idc where it comes from. Its held in using clamps and pressure so its not like the quality of the steel is going to make it sound better inherently. For all we know lower quality steel sounds better when you send a loud sound down it.

Im actually still trying to decide if its worth it. I mean 5700 is just so fking criminal for even titanium. Like dude what is this a gallardo? That crap probably cost him 1000 or less to get made or buy. The problem is, even tho everyone says its allibaba, it just doesnt sound anywhere near those exhausts. It sounds way better. So i really dont get it. How is it so much better than the others. Id buy it in a heartbeat if it was even 4k
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 12:58 PM   #14
nah dude
Pingu
Rep
Drives: White V8 Sedan Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinticus View Post
Yea its all just a piece of metal to me idc where it comes from. Its held in using clamps and pressure so its not like the quality of the steel is going to make it sound better inherently. For all we know lower quality steel sounds better when you send a loud sound down it.

Im actually still trying to decide if its worth it. I mean 5700 is just so fking criminal for even titanium. Like dude what is this a gallardo? That crap probably cost him 1000 or less to get made or buy. The problem is, even tho everyone says its allibaba, it just doesnt sound anywhere near those exhausts. It sounds way better. So i really dont get it. How is it so much better than the others. Id buy it in a heartbeat if it was even 4k
sheeeesh bro u aint even cappin tho frfr they really do be playing with that price tag on god
Appreciate 2
ATLIEN549.00
      01-05-2024, 12:13 AM   #15
ksc
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinticus View Post

My guy, you can get a full titanium exhaust for like 2-4k on aliexpress. Its the same as bomiz, just with no logo. You do risk the potential of some quality issues - if there are any - but I’d reckon you’ll be fine. The whole point of paying for bomiz is that you get quality control and warranty(?), not because it’s special. Whether that’s worth the premium is up to you.

FYI the full exhaust on Ali LITERALLY says if you buy 10+ (whatever the amount is), you can put your own logo for free. Just go with this option and you probably won’t be disappointed. You can surely message the seller on Ali and they’ll respond too, so I don’t think it’s that bad of an option. Buy at your own risk; in the case something is wrong with it, good luck returning or exchanging it. Take a gamble and let us know 😛

Ali also sells valvetronic axle backs. They’re the same as Valvetronic’s. Again, you pay premiums for quality control and warranty, not the design, since they’re all rebranded. I literally have one sitting around but don’t really wanna put it on because I’m not a huge fan of the cheap muffler + valve sound. You can get a real engineered muffler + valves from some company like iPE, but that’s much more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 11:57 AM   #16
Scythe17
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2010 M3 E93 6 Speed

Garage List
Here's the long cut for you my dude. As legit as it gets.

I have the stainless steel Bomiz Race X-Pipe, and the Bomiz Valvetronic rear. Cost me $3000 all in when I bought it (Basically a few months after WetM3's video came out, I heard the Valvetronic brand in Spencer Burke's video and I did not think it sounded like the Bomiz much at all, but I don't know, camera mics really can't portray the noise very well.)

But after countless hours researching, I went with Bomiz because nothing could come close to the deep sound in any of the videos I could find. (except American racing headers but... power loss... cost... having to put headers in that tight engine bay...... pass.)

So the exhaust itself? Well:

Quality of the welds: 10/10 Very nice. Even the guys at 3 different shops the car has been to have mentioned how nice those welds are.

Ease of install: 8.5/10 Yep it's pretty plug and play, finding the right wire in your car can be a little finicky though for the valvetronic system (at least in the E93), and the rubber hangers in the rear were a PAIN to get on but that's whatever. Plus, you do have to drill a hole in that plastic part where your tire pump goes to run the wires, so measure twice, cut once. But with a little pass through PVC thing from Lowe's screwed in its been 100% solid for what... 4 years now on mine? Even with that area open there's never any condensation or anything in there, and yes I have checked repeatedly.

Reliability: 9/10 One valve stopped working 3 months in, but I bought a replacement on AliExpress for 11 bucks and it's been solid for over 3 years since then. It's literally 3 10mm bolts and it comes right out (Only put 2 back in though lol), didn't have to remove anything from the car and did the "harder to get to" side in like 15-20 minutes, no joke. Just put it on, make sure the motor other motor is in the same position before you plug it back in, done. Been on the car for years, works fantastic, I cycle them at least twice a day, 5 days a week once every morning after I am well away from the houses, then once when I get home so when I start the next day it it's nice and quiet for the neighbors. And I do it many times to show people it and whenever I decide "that wasn't me". They work every single time. EVEN with my car having a flame spitting stage 2 tune from AlpineMSS with probably 40k miles of loud bangs and 3-4 feet of fire EVERY time I drive it. Trust me, I beat the snot out of em. They are fine. Everyone saying they are unreliable is being a baby.

I took the broken one apart, it's a cheap af little nondescript dc motor and a worm gear. They move long enough to hit a barrier that stops them, they keep trying for a second, then stop. It's as simple as it gets. Sometimes walmart RC cars with the same motor in em stop working after a month, sometimes you pull that thing out 30 years later, pop in some AA's and she works mint. If it doesn't work, its less than 20 bucks and 20 mins to fix.

Sound: 9/10 I like a deeper noise and stainless is the way to go for that. Titanium ain't for me, too tinny and higher pitched. I like the sound the car makes (It's no chopping LS or Carbureted 383 stroker, but its the best I have heard on an S65 imo) and I personally don't experience any drone or headache running it open as a daily driver at 70-90 on the highway. Many videos do not do it justice, every video my friends have taken of mine is just spiking the crap out of the mic making it sound metallic and raspy, I promise it's nothing like that. It sounds great. Even better with the top down.

The bad part: Bomiz has absolutely no concept of service at all. you pay for it and you are on your own from there. There's no such thing as a warranty. When I had a clamp break since the shop lost a little piece and I rigged it to work, and then had the issue with the one valve dying while under warranty, I emailed them and messaged them probably 10 times on multiple platforms and they NEVER once contacted me back, there's not even a phone number. But whatever. 11 bucks got me a new one so... it's whatever I guess... Don't expect support though.

My opinion on it as a whole: It was $3000 back then total for both (literally 1200 and 1700 + the cheapest tips + shipping), I am sure it's probably more now. If you are heart set on it, at least do yourself a favor and either wait for a big sale, or wait until a nice used one comes up, or even wait till a used Alibaba one comes up, if they are indeed the same, at least that way you can get some photos to inspect it or go see it in person and snag it cheap. Ultimately it's personal preference. Bomiz as a company... meh. Sound: Great. Quality: everything but the one valve, Great. Price: a single yike but... just one yike, one time.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 12:22 PM   #17
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

To be honest, at the end of the day, it's just a straight pipe when valve opened.

At 5k+, I would rather invest in a valve system that actually has some life in it. Brands like Fi, Kreissieg, Capristo, iPE, or even Armytrix offer unique tones when the valve is open.

Sound is subjective. We all hear at different frequencies, and what may sound no different might sound completely different to others. For example, the Bomiz and Alibaba sound exactly similar to me in person. However, Bomiz next to an iPE, the iPE is way different. iPE next to a Kreissieg, there's a huge gap in pitch.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 09:32 PM   #18
mynamesandres
Rep
Drives: BMW m3

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [10.00]
Just catching up on the forum and I’ve had about 7 different exhaust systems in multiple combinations. Bomiz being the set up I started out with.

Setup I’m describing below is the Bomiz rear section with their High Flow Catted x pipe.

In terms of quality Bomiz fitment wasn’t that great and actual material was subpar compared to quality exhausts like Akra, Eisenmenn, or Dinan.
In terms of sound it was nothing really write home about. It sounded good because of the engine we have but other than that it droned and didn’t have character to it. It was really just loud and that’s it.
Appreciate 1
CamasM3e933177.50
      01-17-2024, 03:48 AM   #19
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
I have driven the same roads as wetm3 uses for his shoots in my e90 with test piped and Corsa axleback which is a fabulous combo 24-7. I will say that the canyons and tunnels along Highway 1 somehow transform the fabulous to the divine. I think what you see on video you will get a reasonable proximity and enjoyment but not at the heights of what is captured on video in your day to day. So if 70% is still good enough then take the plunge. Lots of guys cycle through a bunch of options, the resale market is pretty good at making a mistake feel less painful.
Appreciate 0