BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-30-2017, 04:13 PM   #23
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwlover0725 View Post
UPDATE: So after speaking with Dan at Dinan, I've been told that it took him over 1k miles one time to set one for the E9X M3. He told me it's extremely specific, but that they do not change that diagnostic function at all. It remains open, just difficult. I'm not sure if other tuners make it easier or what, but he assured me it will set. He said the only way he has ever had it set on one of these cars is by doing the following which is a slight deviation from the FTP drive cycle that BMW specifies.

1. Cold start - idle 2-4 minutes
2. Drive vehicle 20-30 mph not exceeding 3000 RPM for 15 minutes (standard cycle says something like three minutes)
3. Accelerate to between 50 and 60 MPH and remain there for 15 minutes.
4. At this point, the monitor should set on a perfect try, but he said you might as well finish the drive cycle by ending with the 5 minute idle
NOTE: Absolutely NO major fluctuations in throttle or 100% at any time during this or it will restart. He told me cold start is his only chance.

That's apparently it. I'm not sure I buy it, but I'll give it a shot on a completely cold start. The challenge will be finding a place to do it. You pretty much need a track or dyno to complete this perfectly, but I said it will work. It just takes a lot of time. The only reason I'm believing it is because I've never heard anything horrible about their customer service and people seem to like them, but we will see I guess. Wish me luck. Mike if you see this, your input is greatly appreciated given that you know way more about this than anyone here and my guess is that you don't have this much trouble setting this monitor.
Waste of time. As I've said, it's NOT going to go ready with with no cats. The way DINAN stops the CEL for cats is by turning off the diagnostic control for cat efficiency, which is tied into oxygen sensor readiness as well. But you can try if you want

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #24
bmwlover0725
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Waste of time. As I've said, it's NOT going to go ready with with no cats. The way DINAN stops the CEL for cats is by turning off the diagnostic control for cat efficiency, which is tied into oxygen sensor readiness as well. But you can try if you want
Great, so they did lie. Are you able to modify these tunes to not have the issue anymore?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 10:29 AM   #25
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

How are you going to pass inspection with the DSC codes anyways?
I think you are going in circles. Put the stock cats back on and flash it back for inspection. simple
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #26
bmwlover0725
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
How are you going to pass inspection with the DSC codes anyways?
I think you are going in circles. Put the stock cats back on and flash it back for inspection. simple
DSC codes don't keep you from it unless you're in limp mode. They didn't go in a a DTC. They came up on a separate scan of the DSC unit. I found that those were old anyway. They haven't come back since I erased them that day.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 06:12 PM   #27
bmwlover0725
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update: Should have listened to Mike. I was a stubborn pain in the ass. Disputed the Dinan tune after being told repeatedly that it just had to be driven more. Performance increase is nothing more than a slight improvement in throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 07:43 PM   #28
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Update: Should have listened to Mike. I was a stubborn pain in the ass. Disputed the Dinan tune after being told repeatedly that it just had to be driven more. Performance increase is nothing more than a slight improvement in throttle response.
The code doesn't lie my friend

Even with the stock cats and that tune it will never go ready.

We sent your cable out and will reenable all of the cat checking functions

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 09:23 AM   #29
bmwlover0725
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The code doesn't lie my friend

Even with the stock cats and that tune it will never go ready.

We sent your cable out and will reenable all of the cat checking functions
Sounds perfect! Haha I've been staring at the tracking number all morning. It's in my area, but they didn't put it out for delivery so I'm desperately trying to get them to let me pick it up. The anticipation will kill me all weekend.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #30
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
It doesn't stop the drive cycle. It can interrupt certain tests but that doesn't necessarily matter if the requirements for the test have previously been satisfied.

Regardless, see my post above, he could drive until the end of time and it's not going ready without cats.

15-20 miles is not needed to set monitors to ready if the hardware and software is compliant. I can set most cars ready with 15 minutes of driving and two cold starts.
With your software if I have the stock cats in for smog are you saying I don't need to flash back to oe software and go through the required drive cycle? Are you saying your tune can force readiness back on? If that is the case and your tune cable is Mac OS compatible I might want to switch from my current ESS software next time I am due for smog.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 08:17 AM   #31
bmwlover0725
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
With your software if I have the stock cats in for smog are you saying I don't need to flash back to oe software and go through the required drive cycle? Are you saying your tune can force readiness back on? If that is the case and your tune cable is Mac OS compatible I might want to switch from my current ESS software next time I am due for smog.
I'll let Mike confirm since it's his product, but my understanding is that no tune can force readiness for all monitors. I'm sure he has knowledge on how to given his expertise, but he told me he wont because it's illegal.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #32
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Quote:
I'll let Mike confirm since it's his product, but my understanding is that no tune can force readiness for all monitors. I'm sure he has knowledge on how to given his expertise, but he told me he wont because it's illegal.
Cool... I don't mind putting the cats back in for emissions. But having to go through the drive cycles to turn them back on after is a pain.

If they can be forced on then I can go straight from having the cats put in and software flashed to the emissions testing and then back to modified the same day rather than spend a week trying to get readiness back on.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 09:38 AM   #33
bmwlover0725
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Cool... I don't mind putting the cats back in for emissions. But having to go through the drive cycles to turn them back on after is a pain.

If they can be forced on then I can go straight from having the cats put in and software flashed to the emissions testing and then back to modified the same day rather than spend a week trying to get readiness back on.

Well the stock tune may be slightly different in how it sets. I'm not sure. What I can tell you is that Mike's tune for cats can set monitors in one drive cycle if you do a proper one. He's been nothing but helpful in providing me with drive cycle info and support on the tune itself. I'll probably be doing a review this weekend. I can't speak for ESS or any of the others aside from Dinan, but I can say that this KILLS the Dinan tune. It's night and day. The driveability alone is better and the power is absolutely insane.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 11:09 AM   #34
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Well the stock tune may be slightly different in how it sets. I'm not sure. What I can tell you is that Mike's tune for cats can set monitors in one drive cycle if you do a proper one. He's been nothing but helpful in providing me with drive cycle info and support on the tune itself. I'll probably be doing a review this weekend. I can't speak for ESS or any of the others aside from Dinan, but I can say that this KILLS the Dinan tune. It's night and day. The driveability alone is better and the power is absolutely insane.
That's great support.

Are you comparing the Dinan Catless tune with BPM catted tune? Or both catless?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #35
timothy2001
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Garage List
2011 M3 E92  [0.00]
Reviving this as I just experienced modules not ready when attempting to pass inspection.

I have the Dinan stage II tune (not overly impressed with the tune ) and if I am reading this correctly, I CAN get it to ready status with a stock exhaust but need to follow an almost impossible sequence of driving, starting cycles etc. The tune was installed in January and over 4k miles ago.

If I can't pass inspection I will go back to the Dinan dealer and tell them to reflash it back to stock and give me the $$ back. I know good luck with that but not sure how they can legally modify a car in state that requires inspection with software that keeps it from passing.

So, I hear good thinks about BPM and I believe I am reading that I would be able to pass Texas state inspection with that tune.

Would love to hear from folks who have experience with this situation.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 08:37 AM   #36
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
With their Stage II tune you will not be able to pass even with the stock cats - same situation as the OP unfortunately... this is because the function is turned off so it does not check. This is provided that nothing has changed in the way they suppress the CEL.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 08:42 AM   #37
timothy2001
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Garage List
2011 M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
With their Stage II tune you will not be able to pass even with the stock cats - same situation as the OP unfortunately... this is because the function is turned off so it does not check. This is provided that nothing has changed in the way they suppress the CEL.
Thanks Mike, was looking for you to chime in. Guess I will be visiting with the Gent who I purchased it from at the Dealer today.

Depending on that outcome I will likely be contacting you for information on your product.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 08:51 AM   #38
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy2001 View Post
Quote:
Thanks Mike, was looking for you to chime in. Guess I will be visiting with the Gent who I purchased it from at the Dealer today.

Depending on that outcome I will likely be contacting you for information on your product.
Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #39
monterey
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I'm bone stock and I can't seem to get my car's obd to be ready. It says 02 and Evap not ready. It's nearly impossible to do this drive cycle where I live. I nearly got into several accidents trying. Is there any other way? Let's say by some miracle I am able to get all the sensors ready. Can I turn my car off? It seems like every time I shut off my car, I have to start all over again with at least the ones I have already cleared.
      10-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #40
Down_Shift
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slay

Quote:
UPDATE: So after speaking with Dan at Dinan, I've been told that it took him over 1k miles one time to set one for the E9X M3. He told me it's extremely specific, but that they do not change that diagnostic function at all. It remains open, just difficult. I'm not sure if other tuners make it easier or what, but he assured me it will set. He said the only way he has ever had it set on one of these cars is by doing the following which is a slight deviation from the FTP drive cycle that BMW specifies.

1. Cold start - idle 2-4 minutes
2. Drive vehicle 20-30 mph not exceeding 3000 RPM for 15 minutes (standard cycle says something like three minutes)
3. Accelerate to between 50 and 60 MPH and remain there for 15 minutes.
4. At this point, the monitor should set on a perfect try, but he said you might as well finish the drive cycle by ending with the 5 minute idle
NOTE: Absolutely NO major fluctuations in throttle or 100% at any time during this or it will restart. He told me cold start is his only chance.

That's apparently it. I'm not sure I buy it, but I'll give it a shot on a completely cold start. The challenge will be finding a place to do it. You pretty much need a track or dyno to complete this perfectly, but I said it will work. It just takes a lot of time. The only reason I'm believing it is because I've never heard anything horrible about their customer service and people seem to like them, but we will see I guess. Wish me luck. Mike if you see this, your input is greatly appreciated given that you know way more about this than anyone here and my guess is that you don't have this much trouble setting this monitor.
I can get the drive cycle done in one night two days it takes about 15 minutes each day. Mostly due to needing evap to go ready.

Either you're missing one of the requirements for the check or you were having hardware issues. Assuming the software is good.

I had an issue with oxygen readiness and after a week of driving about 300 miles I finally got a sensor malfunction code. Turned out One of my sensor was bad and it just took a while for the code to come up
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 03:16 PM   #41
monterey
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

So once the drive cycle is completed. it will stay? So if I accidentally go over 3k or 60 mph it will erase again??
      10-27-2017, 03:29 PM   #42
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey View Post
So once the drive cycle is completed. it will stay? So if I accidentally go over 3k or 60 mph it will erase again??
No, once it's set it will remain set unless a fault is triggered.

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 02:54 PM   #43
MPower7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' e92 M3

Going through this in SF right now. Going to be nearly impossible.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 03:18 PM   #44
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower7 View Post
Going through this in SF right now. Going to be nearly impossible.
Check out my experience. Ended up replacing a TA (bank 1) and the o2 readiness set in no time....didn't even bother with a fancy drive cycle...just drove it and it set.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1464211
Appreciate 0