BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Took the SL550 for a cruise (Video)

Long story short, my mom's car needed a new tire, she took my car out, and my dad wasn't going anywhere, so I took his car up to Calabasas to visit a friend. Took the canyons/PCH home and brought along my GoPro.

Not really my best work; I didn't know how the angles would work with the top down, and the wind really muffled any exhaust the Mercedes has (Actually sounded quite amazing at higher revs with the top down, but the GoPro didn't catch much of it...). Plus, I matched the music after I took the videos, so the music may not really match the video...

All in all, car kinda sucked on the twisties... I could feel the torque and power, but it felt almost lazy for lack of a better word. The gearbox was sluggish compared to the DCT in my 335is, and downshifts didn't register a couple of times.

Although, the car SHINED on PCH and up on the more flat/straight roads in Calabasas. Top down was fun, and cruising was amazing. So much power at your disposal.

Some might find this enjoyable, so I thought I would share anyways. If you get bored watching, don't bit my head off

ALSO, some of those driving clips were SPED UP... I actually didn't go over 55 on PCH (there are parts of the road that are 50mph speed limit); and as I said before, I didn't push too hard on the canyons... the car is a boat!

2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Nice boat, how many knots did you hit?
      08-18-2013, 02:26 AM   #3
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Nice boat, how many knots did you hit?
lol, definitely a boat!

But... it's perfect for my dad. Looks good driving down the street, he can have his seats massaging, cooling, heating, etc and he would never track a car or drive any other way than to get from point A to point B.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 02:49 AM   #4
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Nice video!

Yeah the SL550 always struck me as more of a prestige luxury cruiser than anything. We didn't hear much of the exhaust note but from the small clips I heard I was pretty impressed with it. The SL has a nice, throaty exhaust note (I presume the car is bone stock).
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 03:06 AM   #5
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Nice video!

Yeah the SL550 always struck me as more of a prestige luxury cruiser than anything. We didn't hear much of the exhaust note but from the small clips I heard I was pretty impressed with it. The SL has a nice, throaty exhaust note (I presume the car is bone stock).
Thanks!

Yes, definitely stock. It has AMG sport wheels and paddle shifters and stuff. No ABC (active body control) though... not an option my dad was interested in. I saw a video review of a car with it, and the tester was throwing the car all over the place like it was a true sports car (I doubt he was having too much fun doing it though... it's such a heavy car, even with the all-aluminum body... it's just not a sports car, it's a roadster for straight line cruising.

The exhaust is actually pretty nice... like rumbling thunder almost. 4.7L twin-turbo V8. Although it only revs to somewhere around 6k RPM.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
335ifanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: Revuelto, Urus Performante, X5

Drove my friends new SL550 last week, have to say I never liked the new SL, it's a really awkward looking car from every possible angle but the engine and sheer acceleration of the car blew me away. Still tho it wouldn't be a car I would ever consider buying, too many other cars in the same price point that look much nicer.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
A really nicely edited video! But man, what is that song called?? It is sooooooo sick..

The car's colour is quite attractive and I'm sure you draw a lot of attention when driving.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ifanatic View Post
Drove my friends new SL550 last week, have to say I never liked the new SL, it's a really awkward looking car from every possible angle but the engine and sheer acceleration of the car blew me away. Still tho it wouldn't be a car I would ever consider buying, too many other cars in the same price point that look much nicer.
Agreed. My dad has always been biased towards Mercedes, and the car is a perfect fit for him. I would much rather an M6 or R8 (V8) among other vehicles... but my dad and I have a totally different outlook on cars.

I think it looks great personally (even though I can see why there is controversy), but I do agree... acceleration is flawless! And I'm sure the handling is much improved if I had the Active Body Control option.

The two places I am most let down (coming from my 335is) are the exhaust note (while aggressive at higher revs, it just isn't exciting. Also, the transmission, as I noted, is quite sluggish compared my car's DCT. Is quick on upshifts, but downshifts are sluggish and jerky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodite10 View Post
A really nicely edited video! But man, what is that song called?? It is sooooooo sick..

The car's colour is quite attractive and I'm sure you draw a lot of attention when driving.
Thanks!! And I definitely love the color. My dad got the first one with the matte paint, but I've actually seen at least 3-4 others on the roads in Beverly Hills/Brentwood. Still garners attention driving down Rodeo and the like (albeit obviously not as much as all of the supercars!)

The first song is Animals by Martin Garrix and the second song is Siren by Kat Krazy
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post

Thanks!! And I definitely love the color. My dad got the first one with the matte paint, but I've actually seen at least 3-4 others on the roads in Beverly Hills/Brentwood. Still garners attention driving down Rodeo and the like (albeit obviously not as much as all of the supercars!)

The first song is Animals by Martin Garrix and the second song is Siren by Kat Krazy
That says a lot about the presence of the car, especially that unique paint job!

I'm going to get those songs right now, thanks! Btw, do you you have any other suggestions of songs that sound like that or artists similar to those? Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodite10 View Post
That says a lot about the presence of the car, especially that unique paint job!

I'm going to get those songs right now, thanks! Btw, do you you have any other suggestions of songs that sound like that or artists similar to those? Thanks..
Sure, I can give you names... but the best way to find similar songs is through beatport.com

Then look at the top tens and featured in genres such as Electro House, Progressive House and Trance.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Sure, I can give you names... but the best way to find similar songs is through beatport.com

Then look at the top tens and featured in genres such as Electro House, Progressive House and Trance.
Cool, I'll go check that out. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #12
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Animals was a good choice. Good taste in music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #13
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredBy///M View Post
Animals was a good choice. Good taste in music.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0