BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

12-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
dallasM4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche Cayman GT4

Extended Warranty for 2009 BMW M3 Convertible

I appreciate others feedback earlier today confirming I got a good price on the new 2009 BMW M3 Convertible I picked up this evening (a day early!).

Anyway, we covered extended warranties (the Autoguard one that covers everything with a $50 deductible). And we covered the extended service plan. I went ahead and got the wheel protection for $600 because of the cost of a damaged wheel or tire.

Given the expensive costs for repairs for an M3, I'm trying to figure out if it is worth purchasing either of the options for an extended warranty:

1) 7 years/80K miles (which is a little more than what I drive) for $3,135
2) 7 years/70K miles for $2.735 (a little less than what I drive)

And/Or the 6 years/100K extended service for $3,295.

I figure the extended warranty goes up in price as time passes. And I can transfer it or cancel it if I choose (net of depreciation).

Anyone have any suggestions for me? It is my first BMW and M3 to boot!

Thanks (in advance)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
DiamondGCoupe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 & 2015 M4

Don't buy it. Waste of money, can be purchased for roughly same price if you buy just before warranty is up.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
getalot681
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzpdq View Post
I appreciate others feedback earlier today confirming I got a good price on the new 2009 BMW M3 Convertible I picked up this evening (a day early!).

Anyway, we covered extended warranties (the Autoguard one that covers everything with a $50 deductible). And we covered the extended service plan. I went ahead and got the wheel protection for $600 because of the cost of a damaged wheel or tire.

Given the expensive costs for repairs for an M3, I'm trying to figure out if it is worth purchasing either of the options for an extended warranty:

I figure the extended warranty goes up in price as time passes. And I can transfer it or cancel it if I choose (net of depreciation).

Thanks (in advance)

I'm not extremely familiar with the extended warranty options - are 1) and 2) through some 3rd party and the 6yr/100k extended service through BMW?

DiamondGCoupe: I'm assuming that you don't have to be the original owner of the car to qualify for extended warranty through BMW?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:

Thanks (in advance)
The 6yrs/100K Extended Service Contract covering brakes, clutch and drive belts and any other wear and tear items through BMW is worth getting.

Since, a complete set of brakes and clutch will more then offset the cost of warranty!

Also, you can put this extended service contract as an original owner only I am assuming? (At least thats how it is in canada!)

So when it comes time to sell you still get better resale value, so you win either way a wise investment IMO!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 08:18 AM   #5
dallasM4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche Cayman GT4

Final Thoughts

Ok - so I am thinking about going back to the Finance guy at the dealer with a final counteroffer for the extended maintenance and for the extended warranty.

The current "MSRP" pricing for them are as folllows:

1) Extended maintenance to 6 years/100k miles (wipers, brakes, oil change, etc) is $3,295.
2) Extended warranty to 7 years/80K miles is $3,135.

I'm looking for folks advice on the price in which they would take both of these items.

For example, what price for the extended maintenance would you pull the trigger? What price for the extended warranty would you pull the trigger?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
Roth517
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4C xDrive

Quote:
Ok - so I am thinking about going back to the Finance guy at the dealer with a final counteroffer for the extended maintenance and for the extended warranty.

The current "MSRP" pricing for them are as folllows:

1) Extended maintenance to 6 years/100k miles (wipers, brakes, oil change, etc) is $3,295.
2) Extended warranty to 7 years/80K miles is $3,135.

I'm looking for folks advice on the price in which they would take both of these items.

For example, what price for the extended maintenance would you pull the trigger? What price for the extended warranty would you pull the trigger?

Thank you!
Call me crazy, but I don't think they'll dicker much, if all, on the extended maintence. For some reason I kind of doubt there's a actual/invoice-type price for that versus what they're charging you. I'd guess they make their money on this when the car hopefully doesn't need maintenance in a couple years, not on some mark-up right now.

Otherwise, try and figure your expected maintenance costs, ask the dealership how much said costs are (oil changes, pads, etc.) and do the math yourself to see if it'll be worth the money.

I have no clue about the other warranty you're referring to - I didn't know BMW offered it. I've heard of, and have seen, extended maintenance listed as an "accessory" on a build your own on the website, but not an extended factory warranty... They didn't offer me one on my car.
      12-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
I dont believe in extended warranty for cars I dont intend to keep pass coverage. I find that high end cars are much better bought early as New and unloaded after 2-3 yr for another up and coming.
I do get extended on my family's DD Hondas that I keep till 100k
Appreciate 0