BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Smile Dyno Posted Pg 2: Brilliant White DINAN Mid-Pipe Install/Review

Finally installed the much anticipated DINAN Mid-Pipe and matching software update. I already had DINAN exhaust, diff 3.62, springs and performance software, so once I heard that DINAN was coming out with one I just waited. I chose Ultimate Auto Works in North Scottsdale to perform the installation as they are the only authorized DINAN dealer in the North Phoenix area. I spoke with Greg Dalgarn, owner of Ultimate Auto Works to place the order and he kept me well informed of when the DINAN Mid-Pipe would be available, shipped and ready for installation. Greg worked with my schedule to perform the installation first thing on a Friday morning. The entire installation took about 4 hours including the installation of the Mid-Pipe Software, which is required by DINAN. This will eliminate the CEL as there are no cats with this mid-pipe setup.

The Review: When the car was first fired up it had the same deep note as before with only the DINAN rear exhaust, but when the RPM's were increased the beast was unleashed. At higher RPM's, above 6000, it screams like a race car. The sound was exactly what I was looking for. There is some slight odor as there are no cats.
Once on the street there is an immediate difference from before. It feels like there is more power right off the line. Through every gear in the DCT the car just continues to pull hard. I personally could not feel the dip that DINAN has stated, but a future dyno may show it. The downshifts are now more apparent as there is more sound from the exhaust now. It almost sounded like there was rev-matching throttle-blip downshifts similar to my old SMG-II E46 m3, which I loved.
With over 100 miles since the installation I am completely happy with my choice and look forward to every mile I drive. There is no drone and under normal city driving you will not even notice a difference in tone. However, if you decide to get on it, everyone will definitely know that you mean business.

Special Thanks to Greg Dalgarn and Ultimate Auto Works in North Scottsdale for the installation. I highly recommend them and their shop. http://www.ultimateautoworks.com/

On to the Pics! (sorry they are with my iPhone)

Here are some shots of the stock mid-pipes.

Here are some side by side pics of DINAN vs. Stock

Here is the DINAN mid-pipe installed

This was the only sight modification necessary. The heat shield portion of the tranny cover needed to be trimmed to allow for the o2 sensors to clear.

Video: Sorry this is the only video for now. (also with iPhone)

Hope you have enjoyed as I am loving every minute of it.

GTS

Last edited by biglare; 10-20-2009 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Very good writeup...except for the lack a dyno graph to verify the hp/trq gains from this mod.
      09-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
It almost sounded like there was rev-matching throttle-blip downshifts similar to my old SMG-II E46 m3, which I loved.
The DCT DOES have rev-matching downshifts. Are you saying you never knew this and couldn't hear it until you got the midpipe?

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

Brilliant upgrade and review. Sounds f***** RAW decent!!!

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Very good writeup...except for the lack a dyno graph to verify the hp/trq gains from this mod.
Thanks! Sorry, the Ultimate Auto Works facility does not have a dyno yet. I plan on getting a dyno soon, but I have no baseline to compare against anyway. I know that I should have had baseline numbers too, but I took delivery of the car with so many mods already on it. Dyno coming soon for sure so I have a baseline from this point forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
The DCT DOES have rev-matching downshifts. Are you saying you never knew this and couldn't hear it until you got the midpipe?
Yes, I was not able to hear the matching rev-matching downshifts until now. Also, the SMG-II tranny was more apparent due to the single clutch style. It sounds much better downshifting now for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the infamous... View Post
Brilliant upgrade and review. Sounds f***** RAW decent!!!
Thanks! I am loving every mile of it. Another 50+ miles tonight and enjoyed every bit of it!

GTS
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 12:18 AM   #6
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

Maximum Horsepower Gain 23 @ 8200 rpm

Maximum Torque Gain 21 lb/ft @ 4800 rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 12:20 AM   #7
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

sweet can't wait to get mine next week. how do you like the diff??
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
skoot3r
BMW n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3/ 2013 GMC 2500hd

Quote:
Finally installed the much anticipated DINAN Mid-Pipe and matching software update. I already had DINAN exhaust, diff 3.62, springs and performance software, so once I heard that DINAN was coming out with one I just waited. I chose Ultimate Auto Works in North Scottsdale to perform the installation as they are the only authorized DINAN dealer in the North Phoenix area. I spoke with Greg Dalgarn, owner of Ultimate Auto Works to place the order and he kept me well informed of when the DINAN Mid-Pipe would be available, shipped and ready for installation. Greg worked with my schedule to perform the installation first thing on a Friday morning. The entire installation took about 4 hours including the installation of the Mid-Pipe Software, which is required by DINAN. This will eliminate the CEL as there are no cats with this mid-pipe setup.

The Review: When the car was first fired up it had the same deep note as before with only the DINAN rear exhaust, but when the RPM's were increased the beast was unleashed. At higher RPM's, above 6000, it screams like a race car. The sound was exactly what I was looking for. There is some slight odor as there are no cats.
Once on the street there is an immediate difference from before. It feels like there is more power right off the line. Through every gear in the DCT the car just continues to pull hard. I personally could not feel the dip that DINAN has stated, but a future dyno may show it. The downshifts are now more apparent as there is more sound from the exhaust now. It almost sounded like there was rev-matching throttle-blip downshifts similar to my old SMG-II E46 m3, which I loved.
With over 100 miles since the installation I am completely happy with my choice and look forward to every mile I drive. There is no drone and under normal city driving you will not even notice a difference in tone. However, if you decide to get on it, everyone will definitely know that you mean business.

Special Thanks to Greg Dalgarn and Ultimate Auto Works in North Scottsdale for the installation. I highly recommend them and their shop. http://www.ultimateautoworks.com/

On to the Pics! (sorry they are with my iPhone)

Here are some shots of the stock mid-pipes.

Here are some side by side pics of DINAN vs. Stock

Here is the DINAN mid-pipe installed

This was the only sight modification necessary. The heat shield portion of the tranny cover needed to be trimmed to allow for the o2 sensors to clear.

Video: Sorry this is the only video for now. (also with iPhone)

Hope you have enjoyed as I am loving every minute of it.
Great review!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
Maximum Horsepower Gain 23 @ 8200 rpm

Maximum Torque Gain 21 lb/ft @ 4800 rpm
Yeah, those are the number from DINAN and my butt dyno tells me there is a definitely an increase in power.

Quote:
sweet can't wait to get mine next week. how do you like the diff??
I like the diff and have not had any issues with it. You don't stay in 1st or 2nd too long, but it jumps off the line. The cruising RPM is a little higher, but I can still get 18+mpg on the highway. Congrats on getting your mid-pipe next week.

GTS
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
SCCAForums.com
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race Cars

The Dinan Mid-Pipe almost looks identical to the Borla Mid pipe... check out this link.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292162

Congrats... looks good!

Dave
2008 Lexus IS-F (Sold) 12.5 @ 113 / 2008 Shelby GT500 (Sold) 11.3 @ 126
2008 e90 M3 6MT 12.8 @ 111 (Sold) / 2006 e60 M5 12.4 @ 114 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #11
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

cool good news. they only make one for the 6 speed, i see they make 2 for the DCT. you chose the shortest one right?? i wonder how much shorter that is then the one for the manual?

thanks

H

Quote:
Yeah, those are the number from DINAN and my butt dyno tells me there is a definitely an increase in power.

I like the diff and have not had any issues with it. You don't stay in 1st or 2nd too long, but it jumps off the line. The cruising RPM is a little higher, but I can still get 18+mpg on the highway. Congrats on getting your mid-pipe next week.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 11:01 PM   #12
hamad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Coupe DCT

sound awesome
      09-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #13
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoot3r View Post
Great review!
Please try not to reply with all the photos attatched, it's a bit of overkill. Thanks.
      09-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #14
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Sounds fantastic. I just ordered the full exhaust along with all the other Dinan goodies. I noticed from the video that it was smoking quite a bit. Is that what I should expect. The reason I ask is my wife is very sensitive to exhaust fumes and smoke. She'd never go near the car if it smokes.

Thanks man

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #15
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
cool good news. they only make one for the 6 speed, i see they make 2 for the DCT. you chose the shortest one right?? i wonder how much shorter that is then the one for the manual?

thanks

H
I ordered the 3.62 diff for the E90 M3 DCT. Not sure if that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiguy View Post
Sounds fantastic. I just ordered the full exhaust along with all the other Dinan goodies. I noticed from the video that it was smoking quite a bit. Is that what I should expect. The reason I ask is my wife is very sensitive to exhaust fumes and smoke. She'd never go near the car if it smokes.

Thanks man
It was smoking because that was the initial startup after the install and the first time any exhaust gases were passing through the mid-pipes. There is no smoking now, but there is a little smell pulling into the garage. I back into my garage, so it is more prevalent than if I just pulled straight in. Congrats on of your DINAN mods to come!

GTS

Last edited by biglare; 09-21-2009 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #16
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Thats great news. Thanks man. I'm getting pretty excited!!!

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #17
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
... i wonder how much shorter that is then the one for the manual?
4.10, which is waaaay too short for the DCT gearing in most applications.

Dave
      09-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #18
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

so which one of the two is closer to the one they make for the man??

http://www.dinancars.com/store/home.php?cat=800

so your sayin the 4.10 they make for my car will be to short for daily use?? or just if they made that for the DCT??

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
4.10, which is waaaay too short for the DCT gearing in most applications.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #19
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
so which one of the two is closer to the one they make for the man??

http://www.dinancars.com/store/home.php?cat=800

so your sayin the 4.10 they make for my car will be to short for daily use?? or just if they made that for the DCT??

thanks
I'm not sure that I understand your question. Is your car a 6MT or a DCT? The 4.10 is for the 6MT, while the 3.62 and 3.45 are for the DCT.

The 6MT and the DCT have entirely different gear ratios, with the DCT being much lower in the first two gears, in particular. Some people say that the 3.62 is too low for the DCT, but that depends on how you plan to use it. (It'll work and feel faster, but is actually slower in the 1/4-mile). Anyway, if the 3.62 is marginally or arguably too low for the DCT, then the 4.10 is going to be way too low, such that 1st gear wouldn't even be needed to get rolling. Also, that would likely confuse the DCT's computer no end.

So, the 4.10 is superb for the 6Mt. I've got it and love it. If you want to change the FD on a DCT you should search the threads about that to help you decide which you'll like most. There's been lots of discussion here.

Dave
      09-23-2009, 05:22 AM   #20
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Your threads are always so informative and details. I can't speak for everyone but I'll say I really appreciate it. Ordering my ///M in December. Would love to get Brilliant White but the car is a present from my parents, to ask for a $5000 paint job would be so wrong. It really is such a beautiful car though.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #21
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwhite335 View Post
Your threads are always so informative and details. I can't speak for everyone but I'll say I really appreciate it. Ordering my ///M in December. Would love to get Brilliant White but the car is a present from my parents, to ask for a $5000 paint job would be so wrong. It really is such a beautiful car though.
Thank you for the kind words. That is what I believe this forum is all about. Helping one another and sharing our experiences for the passion that we have for our cars.

As for your $5000 custom paint request, seems like there may be enough time to come up with $5000 before you place your order. Looks like it may be time to pick up some extra side jobs to make the $5000 may be in order. It will be worth it in the long run for sure and you will appreciate it all that much more. Best of luck!

GTS
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #22
Easternedge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Mini Coupe S JCW

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Sounds Siiick!!! Makes Me Wish I Had A V8...
Wifey's: 2006 BMW 650I
Family: 2007 Chevy Suburban LTZ
Appreciate 0