BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

03-10-2017, 09:21 PM   #1
Burdman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 (ESS 625 Kit)

Secondary Cat Delete or X Pipe?

Hi I'm Marc and I have only posted a number of times on here. I have a 2013 M3 E92. I have simple mods so far. Frequency Intelligent Catback system, Turner test pipes, GTS DCT tune, and Stage 2 Turner ECU tune. I have the stock X pipe and exterior carbon pieces. The car is loud but I want to go a little louder. I would love to get an IPE F1 X Pipe or an Armytrix X pipe. I am fine with used if I can find a good deal! If I don't go X pipe route I can save money by doing a secondary cat delete. The shop I went to that installed the test pipes only removed the primary cats to my knowledge. Would the secondary cat delete be louder than adding an IPE F1 X pipe? I am not sure what to do or what other choices I have. I also thought of mid pipes possibly. I wanted to reach out to all of you to see if you have any ideas or what route would be best. I want to spend under $1,000. Thank you for reading all of this and look forward to seeing what some of you think would be a good route for me! Thank you!

This is how it sounds now:
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 10:15 PM   #2
vitaladeel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

sounds great
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 10:20 PM   #3
Burdman
Private
Rep

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

are you looking to install an x-pipe in place of your resonator, or do you already have your res removed?

a secondary cat delete will yield better overall gains and a slightly better sound with less rasp/drone in comparison to an x-pipe.

honestly, I would probably do both. X-pipe sounds good and will yield some gains as well. if its one or the other, my vote is secondary delete.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 12:47 AM   #5
Burdman
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
are you looking to install an x-pipe in place of your resonator, or do you already have your res removed?

a secondary cat delete will yield better overall gains and a slightly better sound with less rasp/drone in comparison to an x-pipe.

honestly, I would probably do both. X-pipe sounds good and will yield some gains as well. if its one or the other, my vote is secondary delete.
I believe I have stock resonator and for sure stock X pipe. I already have a catback and test pipes. My buddy is willing to sell me brand new IPE test pipes. So I think doing a secondary cat delete would be best and cheapest for sure right? I would be catless at that point. Still gain power with sec cat deleted?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #6
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdman View Post
I believe I have stock resonator and for sure stock X pipe. I already have a catback and test pipes. My buddy is willing to sell me brand new IPE test pipes. So I think doing a secondary cat delete would be best and cheapest for sure right? I would be catless at that point. Still gain power with sec cat deleted?
well the secondaries arent much of cats compared to the primaries, so technically you are already catless.

yes, roughly 3-4HP gain from deleting them. more engine sound from the front of the car. slightly louder exhaust note. better throttle response and the stronger pull will be most noticeable above 4000RPM, but the top end pull to 8400 will be noticeably freer and more strong.

if you get a good price for the test pipes then i assume it is worth it, but you can do a simple secondary cat delete for much cheaper at any half reputable muffler shop.

as for the resonator, i suggest you keep it to help with drone - but then again an x-pipe will help the sounds and increase high end gains a little more.

if you end up fitting an x-pipe as well, i suggest you do them seperately for ECU's sake. 300 miles on secondary delete, lots of full throttle pulls, then the same for the new x-pipe. also, dont floor it for the first 100 miles just to be safe.

good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 07:29 PM   #7
Jitoo
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E46

Good Info
Appreciate 0