BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

05-18-2020, 11:23 PM   #1
Rufusbmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

E92 Oxygen sensor problem

08 e92

Car had no issues no codes before winter. Started driving it and manged to go over a large speed bump at night . Bottomed out none or less. Started it up later got a cel . Scanned with MHD looks like o2 post cat error. Jacked her up and my plug is just crushed 😭 both sides with wires hanging apart. Plug must of got loose and got crushed when I went over the bump. So I had to hardwire the sensor. I am following the diagram here looking at it and referencing plug still intact I manged to splice and crimp my connections. Cel was cleared but now I have a new code 2c74. Signal from o2 sensor. The sensor plug crushed was the one with longer wire I believe it's referenced as post cat #2. Looks like my new code is for the same sensor.

I hope someone can look at the diagram and help me here. Did I wire it correct. ?

White wires on the sensor side are for the heater. From engine harness it's orange and white with grey. Shouldn't matter which white wire goes to orange based on the diagram. Or am I wrong. ?
The other two wires are voltage. Have to be in right order. Yellow wire goes to black and red within black to grey. Unless I am reading the diagram backwards. Anyway I cleared the codes via MHD and after a few starts getting damn 2c74 . I didn't try inpa don't think o2 needs to be learned in or anything.

Did I manage to get some wires misconnected or why am I getting this 2c74 I never had before. Hope someone can help and or confirm my direct wiring is correct .

Thanks for any replies.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 03:41 AM   #2
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Just replace it lol. They're not that expensive.

$94.24 on FCPEuro
$73.79 on RockAuto
      05-19-2020, 07:12 AM   #3
GotV8?
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jerez E92 M3 ZCP "12"

Garage List
I recommend, if you do a quick search to add a 90 degree extension for the new O2 sensors, I had mine installed when I swap to new ones and it prolong the life of the sensors over 55k miles and no issues where the originals went bad after 35k miles with the Test Pipe and tune done @ 5k miles and in 30k of driving went bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 09:19 AM   #4
Rufusbmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
Just replace it lol. They're not that expensive.

$94.24 on FCPEuro
$73.79 on RockAuto
I can't both sides of the plug are broken. Otherwise I just get a new sensor. I have no where to plug it in so have to hardwire
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 10:52 AM   #5
perth1
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Usually you get any automotive connector from Mouser.com

I went to their 'Connectors - Automotive' section,
and I applied the filter for 6 positions,
I also had a look on Ebay to see the shape of the connector in question on the sensors there,
I selected images, and had 558 photos to flick through.

I spotted the shape for this connector,
and here you go:

Manufacturer TE (used to be AMP).
Part # 936142-1
Price: Approx $5 / each for the plug that sits on the engine harness.
(you also need the 'junior timer' crimp contacts of correct part and size, as per the datasheet for the connector).

The bad news: Currently 0 in stock, but 4000 plugs on order, arriving in July.
Perhaps someone else have stock of the TE connectors? BMW may have a part number for this plug also.

The other option: Go to your nearest BMW wrecker and get a plug of almost any other BMW from the time period. According to an Ebay listing for O2 sensor, the same sensor as on the M3 is used on a lot of 3-series and 5-series etc. Same O2 sensor are used on E87 130i, E90 325i 330i, E60 523i, 525i, 530i, etc.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0