BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

Mporium BMW

04-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #67
force4rmr
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 MW/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowster View Post
Hey, this is cool! Congrats and welcome, force4rmr. You'll get a little flak from some people around here for going from a 997 to an M3, as many people would consider that a downgrade, but that seems like a nice change to me.

Of interest to me, is this tax credit that you're talking about! I've never heard of a tax credit when buying an M3 or P-car... must be an East Coast thing that we West Coast'ers are funding?!?
Thanks for the welcome. I wouldn't call this deal a down grade, more like a lateral move ( better start off on the right foot here ) to a totally different car.

WRT the tax credit, I was referring to the tax I would save by taking advantage of a convenience deal. In this particular situation, I already had a buyer for my car and was buying another car from a dealer. On paper the dealer takes my 911 on trade and sells it to my buyer ( no difference in cost to him). I only would pay tax on the difference, which is zero in this case because the car I'm selling is priced higher than what I'm buying. If I didn't buy another car I'd lose this "tax credit". Most dealers are willing to do this, but I've come across a few that won't.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #68
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Of interest to me, is this tax credit that you're talking about! I've never heard of a tax credit when buying an M3 or P-car... must be an East Coast thing that we West Coast'ers are funding?!?
If the deal is done through the dealer as a "convenience deal" you only pay HST on the excess of your purchase price over your trade in... makes a big difference.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #69
force4rmr
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Very nice to meet you!

You will LOVE the M3. It is an amazing car to drive every day around town and a ton of fun when driven as intended. I have various close friends with 997.1s and R8s and the M3 is not out of place in that group at all... EXCEPT, put it in comfort mode and it is such a civil car to drive.

I really, really struggled with the change. First, I love the colour... alpine white is the best M3 colour IMO as it shows the lines very, very well. Second, I am a 6MT guy and the DCT is due to knee issues and NOT preference.

I have absolutely babied the car and taken immaculate care of it. Diligently followed the break-in last summer (as hard as that was) and it has been perfect since. It hasn't been in for a single issue... no rattles, nothing. I am SO hoping the new one is as solid.

When I was at the port trying to find the new M3, I was walking back to my car and it looked amazing... it actually made me sad that it was going...

Great that you are on the boards!!
Thanks Heath. It was obvious that you took great care of your car, as I will too.

I find the same thing everytime I look at a car I'm selling...a little sad it's leaving, but it'll all be forgotten when your ( and mine) new car arrives.

I'm really hoping your car is in by friday at the latest. I need to get my 911 there so it can be shipped to TO, and next week is not good for me at all.... finger's crossed !
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #70
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by force4rmr View Post
Thanks for the welcome. I wouldn't call this deal a down grade, more like a lateral move ( better start off on the right foot here ) to a totally different car.
+1... a 997.2S might be a little faster (a 997.2 base is not based on everything I have read) but having driven 997s, the M3 will make you feel like a racing professional... it is so balanced and so easy to drive at the limit. Makes everyone a better driver than they are.

I have a friend with a GT3RS, a Cayman S and an E92 M3. He would be the first to tell you how great the M3 is. Whenever he is taking a car, he will take the M3 as it is great at everything with the GT3RS only for the track. Having said that, he still tracks the M3 and loves it.

Anyway... all I'm really saying is that BOTH cars are amazing and you won't at all feel like you downgraded based on my experience in both Now if you were trading in a 911TT or a GT3... well
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #71
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Heath. It was obvious that you took great care of your car, as I will too.

I find the same thing everytime I look at a car I'm selling...a little sad it's leaving, but it'll all be forgotten when your ( and mine) new car arrives.

I'm really hoping your car is in by friday at the latest. I need to get my 911 there so it can be shipped to TO, and next week is not good for me at all.... finger's crossed !
Oh... while I'm thinking of it... I bought a box of Dr. Color Chip in Alpine White. I have found this works great on rock chips, etc. The car doesn't have any at the moment (to my knowledge) but I bought it so I have it if there is ever a rock chip. It has not been opened. I will leave it in the car for you when I drop it off at the dealership. You never know when you might need it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #72
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Just got off the phone with Richard @ Halifax BMW... he is still confident that Friday is going to be the day.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #73
force4rmr
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Oh... while I'm thinking of it... I bought a box of Dr. Color Chip in Alpine White. I have found this works great on rock chips, etc. The car doesn't have any at the moment (to my knowledge) but I bought it so I have it if there is ever a rock chip. It has not been opened. I will leave it in the car for you when I drop it off at the dealership. You never know when you might need it.
Appreciate it ! I've used it before...great product.

Quote:
Just got off the phone with Richard @ Halifax BMW... he is still confident that Friday is going to be the day.
Hope he's right.

I need a few more post's ( and 48 hrs) before I can PM , but I'd like to ask you about buying the black front/side grills you have assuming you're returning the car to stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #74
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I need a few more post's ( and 48 hrs) before I can PM , but I'd like to ask you about buying the black front/side grills you have assuming you're returning the car to stock.
I was going to leave the gloss black front grille and side gills on it. I have the OEM pieces as well and can put that in the trunk. So, as far as I'm concerned you can have it with the black grills (which look WAY better than OEM) with the option of putting it back to stock if you want.

I'm on the Island this summer to teach a course... August I think... we should arrange to get together for a coffee so I can see her again...

P.S. I actually have a job... ... caught a bit of a bug and am home today. So I won't always be this responsive on the forums
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #75
force4rmr
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I was going to leave the gloss black front grille and side gills on it. I have the OEM pieces as well and can put that in the trunk. So, as far as I'm concerned you can have it with the black grills (which look WAY better than OEM) with the option of putting it back to stock if you want.

I'm on the Island this summer to teach a course... August I think... we should arrange to get together for a coffee so I can see her again...

P.S. I actually have a job... ... caught a bit of a bug and am home today. So I won't always be this responsive on the forums
Muchos Gracias!

Definitely look me up if you're over this way. I'll PM my info to you. If friday is a go, I'll be over in the morning....maybe I'll see you then.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #76
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:

LOL Heath... I was wondering...

What a great seller you are! Dr. Color Chip, grilles, gills, installed, and everything! Are you going with the M exhaust on the next one?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #77
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
LOL Heath... I was wondering...

What a great seller you are! Dr. Color Chip, grilles, gills, installed, and everything! Are you going with the M exhaust on the next one?
No on the M performance exhaust... I have spent enough on cars this year
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #78
ns2000x
Converted
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3

Quote:
Hey, this is cool! Congrats and welcome, force4rmr. You'll get a little flak from some people around here for going from a 997 to an M3, as many people would consider that a downgrade, but that seems like a nice change to me.

Haha, I guess if you Albertan's paid provincial sales tax you'd have a better understanding. Spoken like a true West Coaster Will.

Soon we'll hear from the GTA contingent about how Toronto financially supports the rest of Ontario, and they aren't bitter.

'11 BMW M3 E90 Jerez - Fox | '17 BMW i3 BEV Protonic - Dalbergia
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #79
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep

I'm in BC, so I pay a lovely 12% HST.

Thanks for the info on the tax credit. I was aware of this tax break on trades, but didn't know dealers do these kinds of convenience deals. Nice!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #80
force4rmr
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the info on the tax credit. I was aware of this tax break on trades, but didn't know dealers do these kinds of convenience deals. Nice!
Keep in mind that with a convenience deal, you not only save the tax on the difference ( between the two cars), but you also sell your car for a retail price and buy the new car for the best straight sale price. When your talking high end cars this means thousands of $$ in savings....and that all adds up to.... MORE MODS!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #81
ns2000x
Converted
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #82
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Keep in mind that with a convenience deal, you not only save the tax on the difference ( between the two cars), but you also sell your car for a retail price and buy the new car for the best straight sale price. When your talking high end cars this means thousands of $$ in savings....and that all adds up to.... MORE MODS!
you've joined the right forum!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #83
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

UPDATE:

Car is in the garage!! I picked it up this afternoon. I had the chance to meet Don (Force4rmr) who bought my 2010 while I was at the dealership... great guy and quite the enthusiast.

Initial thoughts...
  • Jerez black is a great colour! I can't say I like it more than my old AW but I do like it as much but for different reasons. The AW showed the lines of the car and looked very sporty. The Jerez car looks mean
  • The competition package does lower the car noticeably IMO. I am a little worried about clearance so I will need to be careful. I also find the suspension a little firmer and tighter... this could just be its newness as it is only very slightly different.
  • The find the steering on the 2011 to require more effort than on the 2010... maybe because of the ZCP option. This is not better or worse, necessarily, just an observtion.
  • M-DCT... love it so far. Let's be clear, I am a 6MT guy at heart but this M-DCT is very impressive and VERY fun. The car feels faster (it isn't) because power delivery is continuous and uninterupted. It really does feel just like a 6MT but without the clutch peddle. I haven't tried it in D mode yet as I like S5 and just leave it there. The BEST part though is the throttle blip downshifts. Saa-weeet!! The engine barks and the downshift is smooth and amazingly quick. You can downshift multiple gears by very quick clicks... say I'm in 4th and want 2nd, I double click the downshift lever and it almost feels like it skips 3rd and goes straight into 2nd. Also, it is SO smooth all of the time... clearly all of the DCT issues are now resolved. If you have never spent time in a DCT, don't get into the 6MT vs DCT arguments because you have no idea how involving and fun DCT is 6MT is still great too though

So, very happy so far... I like everything about it and am very happy with the DCT. It is like having my 2010 AW, which I loved, back again having undergone transmission surgery.

It will be about a week for pics as rain is in the forecast for the forseable future (welcome to the east cost in Spring ).
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #84
ns2000x
Converted
Canada
Rep

Quote:
UPDATE:

Car is in the garage!! I picked it up this afternoon. I had the chance to meet Don (Force4rmr) who bought my 2010 while I was at the dealership... great guy and quite the enthusiast.

Initial thoughts...
  • Jerez black is a great colour! I can't say I like it more than my old AW but I do like it as much but for different reasons. The AW showed the lines of the car and looked very sporty. The Jerez car looks mean
  • The competition package does lower the car noticeably IMO. I am a little worried about clearance so I will need to be careful. I also find the suspension a little firmer and tighter... this could just be its newness as it is only very slightly different.
  • The find the steering on the 2011 to require more effort than on the 2010... maybe because of the ZCP option. This is not better or worse, necessarily, just an observtion.
  • M-DCT... love it so far. Let's be clear, I am a 6MT guy at heart but this M-DCT is very impressive and VERY fun. The car feels faster (it isn't) because power delivery is continuous and uninterupted. It really does feel just like a 6MT but without the clutch peddle. I haven't tried it in D mode yet as I like S5 and just leave it there. The BEST part though is the throttle blip downshifts. Saa-weeet!! The engine barks and the downshift is smooth and amazingly quick. You can downshift multiple gears by very quick clicks... say I'm in 4th and want 2nd, I double click the downshift lever and it almost feels like it skips 3rd and goes straight into 2nd. Also, it is SO smooth all of the time... clearly all of the DCT issues are now resolved. If you have never spent time in a DCT, don't get into the 6MT vs DCT arguments because you have no idea how involving and fun DCT is 6MT is still great too though

So, very happy so far... I like everything about it and am very happy with the DCT. It is like having my 2010 AW, which I loved, back again having undergone transmission surgery.

It will be about a week for pics as rain is in the forecast for the forseable future (welcome to the east cost in Spring ).
I agree on all counts Heath. The DCT is shocking even to us formally dyed in the wool stick shift only types. You quickly get this (mis-?)conception that it is now faultless and will do whatever you ask, as soon as you ask.

The down shift bark caught me by surprise as I slowed down under an underpass!

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #85
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Congrats - glad to hear you FINALLY picked it up
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #86
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
UPDATE:

Initial thoughts...

Pretty well sums up how I am feeling about my 08 to 11 with 7MA/ZOK switch.I am also loving the M-DCT as it was a big change for myself after having the stick for 3 years.I am glad I made the change
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #87
ns2000x
Converted
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Congrats - glad to hear you FINALLY picked it up
LOL
The wait must have been agonizing,... what 9 days now?

EDIT: I see it was in fact 11 days. In that case, I commend your patience.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #88
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns2000x View Post
LOL
The wait must have been agonizing,... what 9 days now?

EDIT: I see it was in fact 11 days. In that case, I commend your patience.
Appreciate 0