BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

Mporium BMW

02-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #89
frenchM3dreamer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagkie View Post
I don't know but that radar detector pouch does not seem to be a good product. It said the back have holes for the wiring, isn't it obvious you're hiding something in there that requires current
From the pictures the wiring is not concealed.
you can always tell the po-po you have a defroster hooked up to your sun visor to keep your sunglasses nice and warm

or a custom heads-up display...

OK, enough...
i agree though, this pouch does not seem to give you any kind of optimal placement for your radar detector... almost the highest possible place on your car (far away from licence plate where the radar operator most likely ams), facing way down instead of straight up to the oncoming road... i understand you need to hide it, but that doesnt seem like a good solution at all... + the cord will be right in your face...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 11:42 AM   #90
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchM3dreamer View Post
you can always tell the po-po you have a defroster hooked up to your sun visor to keep your sunglasses nice and warm

or a custom heads-up display...

OK, enough...
i agree though, this pouch does not seem to give you any kind of optimal placement for your radar detector... almost the highest possible place on your car (far away from licence plate where the radar operator most likely ams), facing way down instead of straight up to the oncoming road... i understand you need to hide it, but that doesnt seem like a good solution at all... + the cord will be right in your face...
You misunderstand how this works. You hardwire the detector using a cable that comes with the STI-Driver. The route of the hardwire is around the inside of the windshield to the glove box. The wires will not be visible. This wire also has a kill switch that shuts the darn thing off without you having to reach up etc. This cable comes with the detector.

Just trying to help. If it does not work then it does not work....
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #91
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

Need some good ideas on a nice stealth location
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #92
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
Need some good ideas on a nice stealth location
You drive a 328 - why would you need a radar detector...can it even break the speed limit! Just kidding.

IMO visor is not a great place. High on the windshield close to the rearview mirror is best.

Also - Enfield - There is no kill switch built into the hardwire cable, just some additional warning lights and a mute button. (although you can add one yourself) Great detector, use it all the time when I am visiting states and provinces that allow them....
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #93
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
You drive a 328 - why would you need a radar detector...can it even break the speed limit! Just kidding.

IMO visor is not a great place. High on the windshield close to the rearview mirror is best.

Also - Enfield - There is no kill switch built into the hardwire cable, just some additional warning lights and a mute button. (although you can add one yourself) Great detector, use it all the time when I am visiting states and provinces that allow them....
lol Slowly but surely will get there! However, when i do get there i want to be covered!

Last edited by Hedges; 02-17-2010 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #94
frenchM3dreamer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
You misunderstand how this works. You hardwire the detector using a cable that comes with the STI-Driver. The route of the hardwire is around the inside of the windshield to the glove box. The wires will not be visible. This wire also has a kill switch that shuts the darn thing off without you having to reach up etc. This cable comes with the detector.

Just trying to help. If it does not work then it does not work....
OK, my bad, i didnt know about the built-in hardwire deal... i do have my STI hardwired as well, around the windshield... even though i need to relocate that closer to the dash since i've read many articles saying that the closer to the license plate the better...
and x2 on the kill switch, there is no kill switch on the "remote" that comes with the Bel STi. one button to mute the alerts and adjust the volume. everything else including power on/off remains on the unit.
i didnt mean to talk you down or anything, sorry if it came through as if i was. that is a great thing when you need to hide the detector, may not be the best solution, but so far i havent seen anything better / better-priced.
but hey, here in the Wild Wild West we dont need that, detectors are (still) allowed either way, i hope none of you guys get caught with that...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #95
shagkie
Captain
Rep
Drives: a....V8

You're mean
Maybe Benson is looking to install it on his bike.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #96
CATCH_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Yep I will be posting an updated list & confirming interest .
I got all your guy's PM's.

In terms of concealing it. I heard that if it's hardwired and killed, that makes it alot more difficult for anyone to prove you were actually using it. Also, I don't know if this is 100% accurate but I heard if you take an envelope with u in your glove box that has stamps/an address on it, you can stuff it in there and legally the mail cannot be opened without a warrant.. Can anybody verify this?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #97
2000gsr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATCH_M3 View Post

In terms of concealing it. I heard that if it's hardwired and killed, that makes it alot more difficult for anyone to prove you were actually using it. Also, I don't know if this is 100% accurate but I heard if you take an envelope with u in your glove box that has stamps/an address on it, you can stuff it in there and legally the mail cannot be opened without a warrant.. Can anybody verify this?
Its illegal to open somebody's mail, but if i had a gun in my car and I pulled over for the cops, threw it into an envelope/package would I get arrested?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #98
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000gsr View Post
Its illegal to open somebody's mail, but if i had a gun in my car and I pulled over for the cops, threw it into an envelope/package would I get arrested?
lol they'll probably harass you long enough so that they get a warrant if you're suspected to have a gun, haha
      02-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #99
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

i used one for a bit, found it pretty useless, scared me more than anything.
whenever it beeped id brake and nothing, when there were cops it went off only half the time.
i dunno...seems pointless for canadians/
      02-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #100
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
whenever it beeped id brake and nothing, when there were cops it went off only half the time.
Was this in montreal? or toronto?

kinda pointless for canadians....hmmmm
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 12:33 AM   #101
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
gotta watch which bands they are... for example, i just went down to NY state... and the passport warned me way in advanced of ALL the cops that i came across along the way. it didnt even miss a single one. there were a total of 5 cops facing radaring on my side of the road the whole way down to NYC.

in NY state, the highway patrol uses Ka band... so whenever K or X band comes up, i just ignore it. so far this has worked since i havent come across a cop in NY state using anything else...

the only downside to radar detectors is that the city cops like the SPVM (montreal city police) uses laser... so obviously radar detectors dont work... but a lot of highway patrol and state troopers still rely on radar. so basically, radar detectors are still pretty useful (at least for now).

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 12:35 AM   #102
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATCH_M3 View Post

hmmm highly interesting !! but i bet this wont work in the Kommunist Kanada... i think that is more of a US thing where people can sue other people for basically stepping on their toes by accident.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 03:57 AM   #103
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
hmmm highly interesting !! but i bet this wont work in the Kommunist Kanada... i think that is more of a US thing where people can sue other people for basically stepping on their toes by accident.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #104
lebreeze
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18’c63s,15’macanturbo,14’ 991s

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
any update on the group buy?
      03-01-2010, 06:00 AM   #105
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

So - what's the latest?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #106
lebreeze
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18’c63s,15’macanturbo,14’ 991s

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
I'm going to order one tomorrow. It's getting warm and the popo's are out for justice
      03-11-2010, 07:16 AM   #107
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

Me too. I am headed to the US today and will pick one up. Can't wait as the cops are out for revenue....
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 07:25 AM   #108
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

What happened to the GB - Organizer go MIA?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #109
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
What happened to the GB - Organizer go MIA?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #110
CATCH_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Oh wow guys, somehow I stopped getting updates from this thread and totally forgot. I did firm up that a local GB to Canada would be ok from the supplier for us. I actually have some buddies that also wanted some in town as well. If you haven't gotten them already I'd be more than happy to order them. Sorry that I went MIA! Somehow this completely slipped my mind and I stopped getting updates from the thread. I must be getting old
Appreciate 0