BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

Mporium BMW

12-08-2020, 01:27 PM   #1
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

Best CCC/CIC upgrade options?

Given that technology has come a long way in recent years, wondering what options have evolved to upgrade our Navi units?

I know some people have upgraded to NBT, but I heard there are still quirks with this, as well as quite expensive to complete the upgrade.

There is also Bimmertech MMI Prime ($650), which allows Carplay and a bunch of features, as well as a rear camera option.

What has everyone done?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 01:29 PM   #2
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

There are also some eBay Android units... Anyone running one of these?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 12:25 AM   #3
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I'm running an AVIN unit out of my '08. That CCC, if I had CIC I would have kept it stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 04:03 AM   #4
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post
There are also some eBay Android units... Anyone running one of these?
Have had a China Android unit (identical to what AVIN sells) with my CIC for a few years now. Zero issues. Love it, completely transforms the entertainment system of the car. I would go so far as to say that this is a must do mod for our cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 09:57 AM   #5
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Given that technology has come a long way in recent years, wondering what options have evolved to upgrade our Navi units?

I know some people have upgraded to NBT, but I heard there are still quirks with this, as well as quite expensive to complete the upgrade.

There is also Bimmertech MMI Prime ($650), which allows Carplay and a bunch of features, as well as a rear camera option.

What has everyone done?

NBT is a task intensive. It involves a lot and costs at a minimum $2000 just for the correct parts.

If you have a CCC unit, your screen is not high resolution and one of those android headunits that replaces the screen is an ideal candidate for you.

If you have CIC unit, as others have said here, there are Apple car play modules that can be installed inline to utilized the screen and take over the idrive controller for Apple Car play and various other features these modules have.

IIRC, both the android screen units and the ACP modules will all still use AUX input on your car so your audio may vary. I personally believe having ACP with okay audio was better than no ACP at all.

Any update that allows for Apple Carplay or Android Auto will modernized that screen.

Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
m3less130.00
      12-09-2020, 01:15 PM   #6
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Quote:

What has everyone done?

NBT is a task intensive. It involves a lot and costs at a minimum $2000 just for the correct parts.

If you have a CCC unit, your screen is not high resolution and one of those android headunits that replaces the screen is an ideal candidate for you.

If you have CIC unit, as others have said here, there are Apple car play modules that can be installed inline to utilized the screen and take over the idrive controller for Apple Car play and various other features these modules have.

IIRC, both the android screen units and the ACP modules will all still use AUX input on your car so your audio may vary. I personally believe having ACP with okay audio was better than no ACP at all.

Any update that allows for Apple Carplay or Android Auto will modernized that screen.

Right, and since the inline units use the aux input, it eliminates the possibility of Navi voice directions while listening to music, ya?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 07:02 PM   #7
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I just bought an Andream to replace the screen in my 08 M3 with CCC so I can have CarPlay. Has not arrived yet. Most of all of these units use aux for sound and some report it is not as good.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #8
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I just bought an Andream to replace the screen in my 08 M3 with CCC so I can have CarPlay. Has not arrived yet. Most of all of these units use aux for sound and some report it is not as good.
Hmm interesting.

I know some of the inline units allow you to switch back and forth from your original CCC/CIC by holding down the iDrive knob for 3 seconds... So, I wonder if we can still hear audio from both units, even if switching out of it.

I'll find out and post here.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 07:37 PM   #9
ha9981
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i e90

If I have CCC and want CarPlay what's my best option?

Any chance I can just upgrade to CIC screen and not have to do a full retrofit?

Lastly, as already asked, we are all stuck with Aux for audio?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #10
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha9981 View Post
If I have CCC and want CarPlay what's my best option?

Any chance I can just upgrade to CIC screen and not have to do a full retrofit?

Lastly, as already asked, we are all stuck with Aux for audio?
If you just want to upgrade to CIC, you need the head unit, screen, CIC cable (from screen to head unit) and new power connector for CIC screen.

Then just need to activate it via FSC codes or emulator, or I heard it can be script activated now. This avoids the requirement for emulator or FSC code.

Just search, there is a ton of info on this mod.

(And lmk, I might sell you all the parts you need if I'm upgrading mine).
Appreciate 1
DRLane3988.50
      12-09-2020, 10:24 PM   #11
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Right, and since the inline units use the aux input, it eliminates the possibility of Navi voice directions while listening to music, ya?
Idk about you, but I do not use the factory nav. I would be using ACP navigation and that does come through.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 10:51 PM   #12
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Quote:
Idk about you, but I do not use the factory nav. I would be using ACP navigation and that does come through.
What is ACP navigation?

And are you saying that if I were using Google maps or something via CarPlay, the voice directions would come through while streaming Pandora or something?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 01:37 AM   #13
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Heard the same thing. DO NOT rely on the AUX sent with the unit. Get a quality plug and you will not be able to discern any differences in audio.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 01:58 AM   #14
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerBlueSkies View Post
Quote:
Heard the same thing. DO NOT rely on the AUX sent with the unit. Get a quality plug and you will not be able to discern any differences in audio.
Could you provide a link to a quality plug?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 06:24 AM   #15
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

NBT or NBT Evo, dont waste your time on anything else. Dont go the route of the chinese headunits, the quality sucks, the audio output quality is also trash.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2020, 10:09 AM   #16
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
NBT or NBT Evo, dont waste your time on anything else. Dont go the route of the chinese headunits, the quality sucks, the audio output quality is also trash.

Agreed, NBT Evo would be ideal.

I know for a while, the Evo kits would be missing certain features in the E9X retrofits.

Do you know of any plug and play solutions that work flawlessly?

Is that your video??
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 01:26 AM   #17
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Could you provide a link to a quality plug?
I used an old one that came from a sling box in the 90's. The audio was absolutely horrible with the one that came with my AVIN to the extent I was going to trash the unit.

I'll go ahead an assume BOSE makes good plugs. You get what you paid for, be sure to get something at least 3 feet as you will have to tuck underneath your console. I'll take a picture of mine and follow-up on this post.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bose-2-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 01:43 AM   #18
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep

Silver Slug, just made a video for you since you are so active, Also, the YouTuber is Vehicle DYI, probably one of the most knowledgeable youtuber's out there regarding these vehicles...and that says a lot.

Appreciate 2
      12-11-2020, 03:12 AM   #19
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
I installed a CarPlay kit in my car with CIC over a year ago, and it's bloody brilliant. I have one of the early Kremersino units, so the audio out of the unit is lacking bass, but other members report later revisions improving on this. I sidestep the issue by using my factory Bluetooth audio streaming when listening to music.

I've had Android units in previous cars and they were great, but not as easy as just jumping in and having CarPlay appear.

Since it uses the factory display and the resolution is so crisp, you'd swear in came included from the factory.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 09:54 AM   #20
Webb70
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3, X6M, 2 Ducati 1098's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
I installed a CarPlay kit in my car with CIC over a year ago, and it's bloody brilliant. I have one of the early Kremersino units, so the audio out of the unit is lacking bass, but other members report later revisions improving on this. I sidestep the issue by using my factory Bluetooth audio streaming when listening to music.

I've had Android units in previous cars and they were great, but not as easy as just jumping in and having CarPlay appear.

Since it uses the factory display and the resolution is so crisp, you'd swear in came included from the factory.
Any chance you have a link for this ?
      12-11-2020, 05:38 PM   #21
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerBlueSkies View Post
Silver Slug, just made a video for you since you are so active, Also, the YouTuber is Vehicle DYI, probably one of the most knowledgeable youtuber's out there regarding these vehicles...and that says a lot.

That is awesome. Thank you so much for posting this!

Can you still use the iDrive knob to control it?

Can you access your other car settings through it?

Also, how quickly is it possible to switch back to the classic view?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 10:27 PM   #22
Sly_M3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Melbourne Red

I did the andream mmi option for my cic. I'm so happy with it and honestly wish I would have done it sooner . Another company sells the same box but rebranded for several hundred more . This was an awesome investment and I had great tech support . [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images