BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

06-04-2023, 03:19 PM   #1
Watersedge1234
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/FR M3 Coupe

Pic Request - Headlights with interior blacked out but stock angel eye glass

Hello! I’m trying to decide what to do with my headlights. I purchased my car with modified headlights - Orion LED rings and blacked out interior. I never loved the look of the LEDs and would like to return to original glass if I can.

Has anyone blacked out their headlights and kept the original angel eye glass? Does the black paint affect the light output of the stock angel eyes since there’s effectively no reflector behind it now?

Appreciate any help!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 03:57 PM   #2
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

considering the stock angel eyes have low output, i'd think the black paint has minimal, if any impact.

curious what you dont like about the LED angel eyes? most folks would prefer those over the uneven and low output of the stock angel eyes.
      06-04-2023, 08:46 PM   #3
Watersedge1234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
considering the stock angel eyes have low output, i'd think the black paint has minimal, if any impact.

curious what you dont like about the LED angel eyes? most folks would prefer those over the uneven and low output of the stock angel eyes.
Hmm, it could always be a grass is greener situation but truthfully I find on a white M3 the full ring LEDs I have are too bright and take away from the aggressiveness/timeless look of the car. At least on my car it gives the car a whole different vibe, I attached a shot of my car off vs with the angel eyes on for reference.

It reminds me a zombie with glowing eyes. I could also be losing my mind...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 08:48 PM   #4
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

i see what ya mean. those rings look fatter than a lot of led options.
      06-04-2023, 08:56 PM   #5
Watersedge1234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
i see what ya mean. those rings look fatter than a lot of led options.
Glad to hear I'm not losing my mind, at least with this one...

I sadly don't have a choice to keep it as is - one of the rings is cutting out over bumps and it looks really jank. Just trying to figure out the easiest way to fix this issue while rectifying the one thing I never dug about my car in the first place.

Thanks for weighing in and confirming my suspicions. Any advise on how to proceed with a more classic look without going back to stock glass? I'd prefer to stay LED as long as its not trying to look like something its not (eg a more modern M).
Appreciate 0