BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

07-20-2019, 05:05 PM   #1
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

WyattH | E90 M3 ZCP

Current as of 12/2023 and 66K | @alpinewyatt

Factory Specs

• 2011.75 E90 M3
• Alpine White w/ Black Novillo and Carbon Leather Trim
• DCT, Competition Package, Slicktop
• Premium, Technology, and Comfort Packages

Upgrades

Powertrain
• Dinan Performance Software
• Dinan Carbon Intake
• Dinan Underdrive Pulley
• BMW M Performance Exhaust (V2)
• BMW GTS DCT Software (-442)

Footwork
• Ohlins R&T DFV Coilovers
• Dinan Camber Plates
• Dinan Sway Bar Kit
• Dinan Monoball LCA Kit
• Brembo GT 380mm F/R BBK
• Michelin PS4S 255/275s
• Bimmerworld 10/5mm Spacers & Bolts
• BMW Euro MDM Software

Exterior & Lighting
• BMW M Performance Carbon Splitters
• BMW M Performance Carbon Mirrors
• BMW European Front Bumper
• BMW Gloss Black Grills, Gills, Vents
• iND Gloss Black Trunk Badge
• XPEL XR Prime 70% Ceramic Tint
• Osram CBIs & ZKW Projectors by BayOptiks

Interior
• BMW M Performance Steering Wheel (Red Stripe)
• iND Alcantara DCT and E-Brake Boots
• iND Matte Red Start Button w/ MY08 Bezel
• Dinan Aluminum Pedals
• BMW European Sun Visors
• BMW 6-Point Pizza Net
• BavSound Revenant Amplifier & Stage One Speakers
• Diono Radian 3QX

Miscellaneous & Because-M3-Sh!t
• Fall-Line Motorsports Aluminum DCT Pan
• BE Bearings w/ BE-ARP Bolts
• Beisan Systems Throttle Actuators
• MPorium Valve Covers (Wrinkle Red)
• MPorium Vanos Cups
• Antigravity H6-60-RS LiFePO4 Battery
• Misc. Coding by derbo

Last edited by wyatth; 01-07-2024 at 11:37 PM..
Appreciate 19
Dpc2u11503.00
Aktavate245.50
derbo3592.00
donut_boi997.50
330ciprem228.50
Space Fox1042.00
SYT_Shadow11421.00
M3_Legend350.50
slcook541859.50
E46PP22.00
RugbyBro7574.00
herbreal315.00
      07-20-2019, 06:53 PM   #2
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Previously Post #1

Introduction

So I’ve had my E90M for about a year now and having just finished some work on it, thought it was finally time to put this thread together.

I had my E46M for 6 years and wanted to be buried in it. Then my wife and I had a son! You’ve heard the story here a million times. I didn’t really need to change cars (we could do with just my wife’s car) but I did want something a little more practical or justifiable, that I could trade with my wife if needed, that I could more easily share with my son, and that wouldn’t be such a “project car” (riiight ...).

I’ll spare you the details of the acquisition, but ultimately after scouring the market for a while, I found it posted here and made a deal within 5 minutes of its listing, pending a perfect PPI. EAS performed the PPI, and I flew down to Los Angeles in June 2018. I drove it home to SF the long way via Highway 33 north of Ojai (fantastic stretch of tarmac!). It was a CA car since new, 2 enthusiast owners, no stories/clean history, and in really clean condition with 47K miles. I do wish it had the EPS/Individual Audio and heated seats, but its otherwise perfect for me. Clean E90s are hard enough as it is to find these days, only getting harder, and I realized buyer's need to exercise patience and be realistic about musts and wants.

The car was essentially stock when I bought it, and I wanted to enjoy it like that for some time. So for the first year (and 3K miles), I did nothing more than maintenance: BE bearings, motor mounts, 3x oil changes (because of bearing job), DCT top off (GTS fill), differential fluid, coolant, PS fluid, brake fluid, spark plugs, air filter, cabin filters, wiper blades, Techron concentrate, floor mats, etc. (and more Sonax/Griots than it deserved).

With a decent feel for the car and a complete inspection/service done, it was time to turn it up a notch. The purpose of this car was its dual personality, so straight pipes and unsealed ball joints were not happening. My goal for the car is to make what I think an E90 CS could or should have been. I will draw inspiration from the M Performance catalog, the E92 GTS, the F80 ZCP and CS, and the E46 M3 CSL, ultimately trying to increase performance and fun by few clicks without compromising on factory reliability, practicality, ride quality, or really anything else.

Specifications:

• 2011.75 E90 M3
• Alpine White w/ Black Novillo and Carbon Leather
• Competition, DCT, Slicktop
• Tech, Comfort, and Premium Packages

Upgrades as of 7/2019:

• Dinan Carbon Intake
• Dinan Underdrive Pulleys
• Eisenmann Black Series Sport Exhaust
• Alpine Stage 1 Tune
• Alpine GTS DCT Software

• Dinan Sway Bar Kit
• Factory camber pins removed
• Alpine Euro MDM and Servotronics

• Anthracite 359Ms (powder coated)
• M Performance and iND Gloss Black Package (grills, gills, vents, trunk badge)
• Huper Optik 35% Ceramic Tint

• OE M Performance Steering Wheel
• Dinan Aluminum Pedals
• Aluminum DCT Paddles
• OE Performance AS Mats, OE Cargo Net
• BE Bearings, BE/ARP Bolts
• Nuna Rava

What's Next?

I don’t have a lot more planned, and most of it will be timed around maintenance work. Okay, we've all seen how that goes, the mod bug bites. But I’m really liking the car, and the changes to it so far. It should last me a while since I only drive it about ~3K/yr, and fortunately nothing else out there really interests me that I will be able to afford or justify anytime soon.

• When the tires are done, I will go with 255/275 PS4S’ (and maybe 10/5mm spacers).
• When the brakes are due, I will likely upgrade at least the fronts.
• When the shocks wear out, I may try Bilstein B16s (though I really like the ZCP hardware).
• I’m interested in solid subframe mounts and monoball FCABs.
• My passenger headlight gets condensation when I wash the car, so I will have them refreshed/resealed with ZKW projector lenses and Osram CBIs.
• I am no audiophile, but I think the HiFi needs at least an amplifier upgrade.
• I’ll mix it up a little bit cosmetically, but it'll stay pretty close to OEM.

E9xM versus ... E46

It seems many of us have owned or spent significant time with many different M3 generations, so I figured I'd offer my thoughts. Probably nothing that hasn’t already been said, but here's the E9X compared to the E46:

Pros
- Versatility: It is so much more comfortable and relaxing to drive than my E46, while offering nearly identical outright performance and maybe 90% of the "feel." Granted, my E46 was far from stock (thus, it could keep up), but when I had it I loved it and had no desire to change the suspension any more in either direction. Now feeling this, I appreciate its wider range of usability (both in normal mode and with EDC in general).
- DCT: It's just a damn good box and is way more fun than I expected. Sure, I'll own more 6MTs in my life and I will always respect and love them, but I am not a paddle hater. I liked it when I drove DCT for the first time, but was worried I would grow tired of it. Nope. FWIW I only drove in D mode once to make sure it worked, and rarely shift from the stick - I almost exclusively shift from the paddles. I'm not pretending to be Lewis Hamilton going down the boulevard, but I find the paddles satisfying and comfortable.
- Sound: The S65, especially with the Dinan intake and Eisenmann Sport, sounds nearly as good as anything out there. I love S54s at WOT redline, but around town they they only make you tingle if you know what they are.
- Reliability, tech, build quality: Not much more needed to say here. Sure these cars have their issues as any M model or performance car will, but compared to the Swiss cheese rear floor and VANOS issues on the E46, these cars seem pretty stout and tight. I'm hoping most of the bugs have been identified by this age but we'll see what more comes up over time, though I think we can conclude now the E9x wins here.
- Modifications: I don't think the E9XMs need much in terms of mods. Sure there's always stuff that I think needs to be done (e.g, everybody with a DCT should get the GTS flash) but overall, the car is damn good and fun in stock form, versatile, fast, sounds good with OEM intake/muffler, etc. I think it would be easier for me to keep an E9X stock than an E46. Not that a stock E46 is bad at all, I just think there's more that I'd really want to sort out. I would choose an E46 for a true project car.
- Value: With clean, 50K mile E92s at $30K, that's a lot of car for the money. Especially considering a clean, 50K mile E46 could be the same price and needs a lot more to bulletproof and sort out. You have to really love E46s to pick up a clean one at current prices (and IMO, be looking for a weekend canyon or project car).

Cons
- Special feeling: Something about the E46 just tickled my nuggets a bit more, even with the engine off. It just fit like a glove, had a little more old school German solidity to it, and had a sense of occasion. The E90 is far more utilitarian, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I am not really sure how to explain this, but the E46 pulls at my heart strings a little more, and always will. The E9X doesn't until I hit the Start button. Whereas the E46 felt special and sensational from the moment you unlocked the doors.
- Looks: I think sorted out E9Xs look GREAT, but a sorted out E46 (even a stock ZCP) looks better. I think E46s will continue to age as well as anything out there and the E9x will also age well. Unpopular opinion among E90 owners: the E92 looks a little cooler than the E90. There, I said it.
- Playfulness: The E46 just feels more alive and playful. While close in size and weight on paper, the E46 feels smaller and more nimble. Surely part of this is due to the upgrades I had on mine, but I think the platform in general just provides more feel and makes for a more exciting drive when you're on the boil. You feel the speed, the car, and the road more, which matters when you're just out having fun and not racing. The E9X is far from numb, but its added comfort does come a little bit at the expense of feedback and precision (again, this can be good in some situations or depending on use).

vs. F80:
I'll keep this one short. A close friend of mine has a base spec, 2016 6MT F80 that I've put many miles on over many fun stretches of pavement. It's a great chassis, and the car covers ground far faster than any E46 or E9X can, but I just can’t love the S55 (or the interior). It's a beast, but the feel and sound will forever keep me from loving the whole car, and there's more to a car than brute force, which anybody will get used to. For that reason alone there's a good chance it's a generation I skip (unless a ZCP or CS is surprisingly different in this regard, which I haven't driven yet). They do look fantastic (not an F82 fan), though!

Last edited by wyatth; 11-23-2022 at 12:48 AM..
Appreciate 8
R-3551.00
Silos555.50
Msidhu195.50
E46PP22.00
      07-20-2019, 06:59 PM   #3
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

About time you created a thread wyatth !

I keep seeing these BMW performance steering wheels and I kinda want one now..
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
wyatth3544.00
      07-20-2019, 09:02 PM   #4
DiegoM3sa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I remember drooling over your E46 on M3forum. Good to see you on here now. Which chassis do you prefer? I still find myself reminiscing over my E46
1995 ///M3 Alpine White on Dove 5MT - Sold

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 12:46 AM   #5
Jive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Glad to have you part of the fam!
      07-21-2019, 10:16 AM   #6
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 | E92 335i | E90 335d

Clean car man! OEM+ is the way too go!
SS2-FR E90 M3 6MT / IND / AFE / ActiveAutowerke - SOLD
AW-FR E90 M3 DCT / ACM / IND / AutoTecknic / K&N / H&R / Bilstein - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 06:46 PM   #7
donut_boi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 X5M DGM

Love how the build is turning out, can't wait to see the rest
Appreciate 1
wyatth3544.00
      07-22-2019, 09:45 AM   #8
Johal E32
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 M5, 98 M3, 08 M3

Garage List
1991 BMW M5  [0.00]
1998 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Nice car!

Some of the photos look like Bear Creek Road in Bronies, CA?
Appreciate 1
wyatth3544.00
      07-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #9
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

I added some material to Post #2, FWIW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
I keep seeing these BMW performance steering wheels and I kinda want one now..
As we've chatted, this was actually the only "mod" that my car came with and I did not expect to like it. But for a weekend car, I've grown to love it! Given the (minimally) extra TLC it needs, I am not sure I would put it in a DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegoM3sa View Post
I remember drooling over your E46 on M3forum. Good to see you on here now. Which chassis do you prefer? I still find myself reminiscing over my E46
Thanks! The E9x is an impressive machine and objectively the better car, but the E46 is a little more fun/special. If it's a long term weekend car, I would probably get an E46. But given my needs and lifestyle now, I am 100% happy with the E90. I've added more thoughts to post #2. Would love to hear your thoughts as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donut_boi View Post
Love how the build is turning out, can't wait to see the rest
Thanks, brother! And I am loving the Eisenmann exhaust - thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johal E32 View Post
Nice car!

Some of the photos look like Bear Creek Road in Bronies, CA?
You got it! This loop is my backyard stomping ground!

Appreciate 4
      07-25-2019, 06:00 PM   #10
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

You forgot to mention the gas tank on the E90 is too small!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 06:10 PM   #11
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
You forgot to mention the gas tank on the E90 is too small!
Seriously! Despite hearing about that and how awful the mileage is for years before getting my own, I am still blown away. Not such an issue for a weekender, but phew, that could get annoying with any real DD commute.
My E46 averaged about the same mpg (SC'd, 3.91s) but it seemed to last much longer despite being only ~1 gallon bigger (I think).
Appreciate 1
Mimmer55.50
      07-25-2019, 09:40 PM   #12
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

The problems I have with the F8x are the same as you. However my fear is that M division is now recycling engines for the successor models. Yea performance will be upped a bit and it will be a faster better car. But I really doubt the major pitfalls (that I see) on the F8x will be any different with the G8x. My dad has an M4 that feels so numb and boring despite being quite quick.

I would love to add and E46 M to the stable one day.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 09:41 AM   #13
Johal E32
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 M5, 98 M3, 08 M3

Garage List
1991 BMW M5  [0.00]
1998 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
You got it! This loop is my backyard stomping ground!

Beautiful E46!

HMU if you ever want to go for a run down Bear Creek, I live minutes away.. LOL. I absolutely love driving that road, if there's too much traffic I will always take that road to work
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 11:54 AM   #14
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Over the weekend I had upsized 255/275 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S’ mounted on the 359M ZCP wheels, road force balanced, and aligned (shout out to VT Motorworks in the Bay Area – great team, great work, super clean shop). Since I don’t drive my car much (nor have as much time to play with it as I once did), it took me longer to get around to this than I had hoped. The previous tires still had some tread left, but I could tell an alignment was needed anyway and I was anxious to get some proper rubber on the car. They’re still breaking in, but already I can tell they feel great, car is silky smooth up to Mexico speeds.

My current alignment as follows:

[Front]
-1.2* camber
.04’ (~1/32’’) total toe in
7.2* caster

[Rear]
-1.8* camber
.09’ (~1/16’’) total toe in

The rear feels great, and the front toe is nice. I pulled my camber pins but am surprised we were only able to get -1.2* in the front. I think Dinan camber plates are in my future. I also ordered some Bimmerworld 10mm (f) and 5mm (r) spacers/bolts, will likely all go on together with another alignment for the front.

Other minor updates:
- VT also adjusted the front sway bar for me, no more clunks! They also adjusted the passenger side exhaust tips a hair to satisfy my OCD.
- Removed the warning stickers from the front visors.
- Removed the pins from the front headrests, so they now go down all the way to the backrests.
- Put on a CA legacy/enviro plate.

With members Johal and Derbo a couple of weeks ago:

Last edited by wyatth; 09-09-2019 at 11:39 PM..
Appreciate 4
donut_boi997.50
//steve\\1074.00
slcook541859.50
      10-03-2019, 12:45 AM   #15
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Dinan camber plates, and new OE strut bearings/guides and bump stops arrived.
IA/EPS speakers on the way, with an Audiotech Fischer amplifier to follow shortly.

So I like the CA vintage plates but something just seemed off with the front. Yes, black plate on a white car. But something else ...
I thought it might be the white OE mount. So I bought an OE Jet Black mount to see if that would blend things a bit more. It does, but it also looks chunkier. What do you guys think?

FWIW my bumper has like 4 holes from a stupid dealer, so plugs aren’t an option. I like the amber so no Euro in my future. And it’s in good shape otherwise so I’m not filling/repainting just to get rid of the plate.

Last edited by wyatth; 12-01-2019 at 12:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 04:51 AM   #16
dozaiya
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 MW E92 M3

looking so beautiful
after years after looking at E9X im starting to prefer the fat rump of the E90
Appreciate 1
AC/DC380.50
      10-03-2019, 07:47 AM   #17
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Hmm I think the white plate mount is better, even with the black plate. But still not great haha
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:59 PM   #18
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Back to VT Motorworks today, always in good company there.
Dinan camber plates and new OE top hats and bump stops went on. The original hats and stops looked like new (@50K), but oh well. Now set to -2* up front.

Also had Brembo GT 380mm/6 (F) and 380mm/4 (R) put on with Bimmerworld 10mm (F) and 5mm (R) spacers and bolts. Better pics to follow at some point.

——

Drove some twisties and figure 8s today to see how everything feels. The increased neg camber is immediately noticeable, more so than the Dinan sway bar was. I’m very happy with the balance and poise of the combo. On a ZCP car, it’s pretty much Dinan Stage 3 suspension. And I’m still super happy with the 255/275 PS4S.
The brakes are as you’d expect - strong, firm, and consistent. I had this BBK on my previous E46M so I knew what I was getting.

Had it detailed this afternoon, so now it’s driving wonderfully and sitting pretty.

Last edited by wyatth; 12-01-2019 at 12:52 AM..
Appreciate 5
      11-05-2019, 07:58 AM   #19
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Wow looks great with the Brembos now!

Now that you've had the E90 for some time, what do you think about it vs the E46?

I've recently got an itch to get an 6MT E46 M3!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 08:22 AM   #20
BRNDNSLVRA
奈良シカマル
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Gray E90 M3

My car clunks and I had no idea you could adjust the sway bar. Guess I should try that. Beautiful car!

http://954mm.com

IG: @954MM/@954M3
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 02:06 PM   #21
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954MM View Post
My car clunks and I had no idea you could adjust the sway bar. Guess I should try that. Beautiful car!
If it is clunking, chances its the endlinks.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 02:14 PM   #22
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

More brakes, more better

Big brake kits always make a big difference in the looks of a car.
Appreciate 0