BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

03-14-2015, 05:26 PM   #23
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPKY5U View Post

Ok... Third time it's happened. Caught it on film.

They couldn't re-create it the first or second time, so I emailed the video to my SA. He says they will hold onto it until it happens... But he also said "clutches and transmissions aren't under warranty unless you have service inclusive plus"??? There is no way this is user fault, it's obviously an issue from BMW.

I hope I don't have to have a big fight over this.

My car is 2.2ish years old, and only has only 40,000km (BMW Canada gives 80,000km warranty from new).

This is without even washing it today. Just starting it after grabbing some lunch.
WOW ! That's really strange !
I never saw of heard something similar of our DCT trans !
It's a serious problem .
Question...
Are you using a high pressure washer when you are washing your car ?

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 05:28 PM   #24
Alohaaaaa
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 550xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
WOW ! That's really strange !
I never saw of heard something similar of our DCT trans !
It's a serious problem .
Question...
Are you using a high pressure washer when you are washing your car ?
Yup.

But this time I didn't even wash the car. I went out for a short drive, stopped for some lunch, then came back, tried to put it in R, and it flipped shit. So I pulled out my phone and filmed it as I put it in D.

My first M3 never did shit like this.

I bought the car 4,000km ago too.
2008 Sparkling Grey Metallic 135i 6MT - JB4 G5 - MHD Race BEF - N54Tuning DP's - ER Chargepipe/w HKS SSQV - Coolingmist Progressive Meth - MMP Hot Side Inlets - AFE Exhaust - Seconday Cat Delete - AMS FMIC - BMS Catch Can - Rob Beck PCV - LUX 160 AE

Last edited by Alohaaaaa; 03-14-2015 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2015, 05:52 PM   #25
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Yup.

But this time I didn't even wash the car. I went out for a short drive, stopped for some lunch, then came back, tried to put it in R, and it flipped shit. So I pulled out my phone and filmed it as I put it in D.

My first M3 never did shit like this.

I bought the car 4,000km ago too.
Personal I think something....somewhere... is not sealed properly .
Seems like your DCT is working , but probably interrupted by water or moisture in the electric system of your DCT .
Fault code must be visible at your BMW/Dealer .
At least...Let's hope !
Please keep us posted about this weird problem .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #26
Alohaaaaa
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Personal I think something....somewhere... is not sealed properly .
Seems like your DCT is working , but probably interrupted by water in the electric system of your DCT .
Fault code must be visible at your BMW/Dealer .
At least...Let's hope !
Please keep us posted about this weird problem .
But there was no water today, or the day prior.

The fault codes just read that clutch 1 was jammed, and transmission overheat (I work in a BMW shop, I read the faults before I give them the car for warranty).

My main concern is the SA was saying it might not be covered... The car is still under new car warranty? WTF?
2008 Sparkling Grey Metallic 135i 6MT - JB4 G5 - MHD Race BEF - N54Tuning DP's - ER Chargepipe/w HKS SSQV - Coolingmist Progressive Meth - MMP Hot Side Inlets - AFE Exhaust - Seconday Cat Delete - AMS FMIC - BMS Catch Can - Rob Beck PCV - LUX 160 AE
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 06:12 PM   #27
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
But there was no water today, or the day prior.

The fault codes just read that clutch 1 was jammed, and transmission overheat (I work in a BMW shop, I read the faults before I give them the car for warranty).

My main concern is the SA was saying it might not be covered... The car is still under new car warranty? WTF?
Your warranty situation is not normal !
And yes sometimes BMW really s@cks , hope they cover it because our DCT trans is no joke !
Same thing with the damn bearings...they blow Worldwide and they are doing nothing !
But I saw today a new record for BMW on the news item...they are making 5.8 billion Euros of profit =>http://panteres.com/2015/03/12/bmw-r...-profits-from/

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 06:54 PM   #28
Alohaaaaa
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Your warranty situation is not normal !
And yes sometimes BMW really s@cks , hope they cover it because our DCT trans is no joke !
Same thing with the damn bearings...they blow Worldwide and they are doing nothing !
But I saw today a new record for BMW on the news item...they are making 5.8 billion Euros of profit =>http://panteres.com/2015/03/12/bmw-r...-profits-from/
I think he is just confused about it. Transmission falls under new car warranty doesn't it? I could understand clutches if they were worn by user abuse... But It's clear that this issue would put heavy wear on the clutches, as the are violently engaging and disengaging.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #29
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I think he is just confused about it. Transmission falls under new car warranty doesn't it? I could understand clutches if they were worn by user abuse... But It's clear that this issue would put heavy wear on the clutches, as the are violently engaging and disengaging.
Personal I would stop driving your car => Take no risk !
The only case I know about replacing a DCT under warranty was in Sweden .
I know him as friend via PM and Email , and BMW had changed the DCT fluid ,but with fluid for manual transmission !
And I warned him that only Pentosin was ok for our DCT trans.
So he got a brand new DCT trans...but only after more than 2 months !
Check this out...
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1078744
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1095827

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 07:46 PM   #30
Alohaaaaa
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Personal I would stop driving your car => Take no risk !
The only case I know about replacing a DCT under warranty was in Sweden .
I know him as friend via PM and Email , and BMW had changed the DCT fluid ,but with fluid for manual transmission !
And I warned him that only Pentosin was ok for our DCT trans.
So he got a brand new DCT trans...but only after more than 2 months !
Check this out...
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1078744
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1095827
There was a trans service request in my service history, but it looks to have been denied.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 07:55 PM   #31
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
There was a trans service request in my service history, but it looks to have been denied.

Service - manual gearbox ?

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #32
Alohaaaaa
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Service - manual gearbox ?
BMW Canada refers to DCT as Manual Gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #33
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
BMW Canada refers to DCT as Manual Gearbox.
And what's a manual gearbox in Canada ?
Perhaps 6 speed manual trans ?
Anyway, I really hope that BMW has a solution for your problem !

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 08:14 PM   #34
Alohaaaaa
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
And what's a manual gearbox in Canada ?
Perhaps 6 speed manual trans ?
Anyway, I really hope that BMW has a solution for your problem !
I believe so. They rely on the VO code to specify M-DCT.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 10:15 AM   #35
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
The trans is covered by the warranty, surely must be the same WW. Sorry to hear that you need to spend time teaching the freaking dealer. Get on them and keep us posted mate.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 12:31 PM   #36
Alohaaaaa
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
The trans is covered by the warranty, surely must be the same WW. Sorry to hear that you need to spend time teaching the freaking dealer. Get on them and keep us posted mate.

Good luck
It seems that because they know I work on BMW's they expect me to find the problem for them. I understand that warranty work doesn't exactly "pay", but cmon guys.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 03:58 PM   #37
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Your video should be all the verification they require to begin work. Shops that see documentation like yours, then take it for a spin and send you on your merry way because they can't "duplicate the problem" are ridiculous.

If they can't pinpoint and resolve the problem, then time for a new trans altogether. Under warranty, their problem. Unless the trans warranty was previously voided for some reason, then you're covered. Be persistent and good luck.

And that's a crazy symptom... never seen or heard of that before.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 05:58 PM   #38
Alohaaaaa
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Your video should be all the verification they require to begin work. Shops that see documentation like yours, then take it for a spin and send you on your merry way because they can't "duplicate the problem" are ridiculous.

If they can't pinpoint and resolve the problem, then time for a new trans altogether. Under warranty, their problem. Unless the trans warranty was previously voided for some reason, then you're covered. Be persistent and good luck.

And that's a crazy symptom... never seen or heard of that before.
I think it's electrical still. Because it only happens after I drive somewhat spirited (not crazy, but MDM and S5 for 30 min or so), then park it, lock it, and come back to it under 15 minutes (before sleeping). If it happens, all I do to fix it is lock the car, let it go into sleep mode, then unlock and drive.

Does anyone else park in Neutral and pull e-brake? I know they say park in gear, but I don't like that.

What would void a trans warranty? I've never touched it, but maybe the PO did? I doubt this, because he was an older fella who only had an average economy of 11.9L/100KM.

I couldn't find anyone else who has had it either. I've seen some that stall, but none that jerk around violently like mine.

Last edited by Alohaaaaa; 03-15-2015 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 06:40 PM   #39
kaleb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 X5 35d

Quote:
I think it's electrical still. Because it only happens after I drive somewhat spirited (not crazy, but MDM and S5 for 30 min or so), then park it, lock it, and come back to it under 15 minutes (before sleeping). If it happens, all I do to fix it is lock the car, let it go into sleep mode, then unlock and drive.

Does anyone else park in Neutral and pull e-brake? I know they say park in gear, but I don't like that.

What would void a trans warranty? I've never touched it, but maybe the PO did? I doubt this, because he was an older fella who only had an average economy of 11.9L/100KM.

Who said park in gear?

"P engages automatically when you switch off the engine unless N is engaged and the remote control remains in the ignition lock. As soon as you remove the remote control from the ignition lock, P engages regardless of the position of the selector lever" -Owners manual

I park mine however I want to, even in reverse, it works just fine, I just shut off the engine and go on my way. I have Comfort Access, FYI.

Doesn't have to be electrical. Something could have gone wrong in the oil cooler system for the trans, you could have a blockage or something. New transmission is coming...

This transmission problem is absolutely covered by the factory warranty.
2012 X5 35D - Platinum Gray / Cinnamon Options: Sport, Tech, Cold Weather, comfort seats, leather dash, high beam assist, lane-departure warning, soft-close doors, two-row, self-leveling suspension, hi-fi stereo
Tracks driven (in any car): Nürburgring Nordschleife (05/2011), LeMans (ok, just the public part), Eagles Canyon Raceway, MotorSport Ranch Cresson, COTA Austin
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 06:43 PM   #40
Alohaaaaa
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
The fact it's fixed by letting the electrical systems fall asleep tend to point me in the direction of electrical.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #41
kaleb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 X5 35d

Quote:
The fact it's fixed by letting the electrical systems fall asleep tend to point me in the direction of electrical.
Imagine a scenario where there is a fluid flow/pressure sensor in the transmission system. It's electrical of course. It detects a blockage or some other stuff, maybe a overheat in the clutch pack that controls gears 1-3-5, it throws the warning light, etc. But transmissions can cool down, so maybe the system is programmed to check everything again after sleep/restart. You still have a physical issue.

This car needs to be fixed by a BMW dealer and by fixed I mean it's getting a new transmission under Warranty. The crap I read about your shit not being covered is completely false, and I have never even worked at a BMW dealer. I feels good knowing more than your SA though. Feels real good.
2012 X5 35D - Platinum Gray / Cinnamon Options: Sport, Tech, Cold Weather, comfort seats, leather dash, high beam assist, lane-departure warning, soft-close doors, two-row, self-leveling suspension, hi-fi stereo
Tracks driven (in any car): Nürburgring Nordschleife (05/2011), LeMans (ok, just the public part), Eagles Canyon Raceway, MotorSport Ranch Cresson, COTA Austin
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:24 PM   #42
Alohaaaaa
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Well, they have it for the long run now. BMW Canada is being involved and a PUMA is being opened.

For now... I have this nifty free 2014 320xi to drive... Which isn't half bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:43 PM   #43
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

Man I thought our car was ok to spray the engine bay/compartment down for washing/cleaning???
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #44
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Well, they have it for the long run now. BMW Canada is being involved and a PUMA is being opened.

For now... I have this nifty free 2014 320xi to drive... Which isn't half bad.
Good to hear it's going to the right direction !
Please keep us posted...and good luck !

Appreciate 0