BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

04-27-2016, 11:48 PM   #23
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda Mew View Post
You know what really grinds my gears? Imagine you it rains and you get a bunch of grime caked on the back end of your car. You use a pressure washer and sure it gets off a dirt layer on top, but there's still a visible amount of grime just still caked on their. Like mascara in the shower, it's gonna start running but you'll still have a bunch of crap still on your face. And that pressure washer is SO strong! It hurts your hand so bad if you dare test out the pressure. Yet it can't take off all that grime still on the car. But if you swipe your finger ever so gently it comes right off. WTF??? How can a gentle finger take off what a super strong pressure washer can't?? Maybe mine isn't strong enough. Anyways, I don't use the pressure washer all that often anymore. Okay my rant is finished.
Panda, very clean car you have there!
Either your lsp is lacking or you need a better pressure washer. All I had on my car was optimum spray wax for 6 months and only pressure washed it. It remained about 80-90% clean.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #24
Manda Mew
Dog Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Either your lsp is lacking or you need a better pressure washer. All I had on my car was optimum spray wax for 6 months and only pressure washed it. It remained about 80-90% clean.
Still, I'm doubtful you can ever get away with not touching the paint with a wash mitt. And are you ever worried that the pressure washer may press dirt particles against the paint and cause really tiny scratches? And do you mean you didn't touch your car for that 6 months? Only pressure wash, then blow dry I'm assuming?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:26 PM   #25
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
You know what really grinds my gears? Imagine you it rains and you get a bunch of grime caked on the back end of your car. You use a pressure washer and sure it gets off a dirt layer on top, but there's still a visible amount of grime just still caked on their. Like mascara in the shower, it's gonna start running but you'll still have a bunch of crap still on your face. And that pressure washer is SO strong! It hurts your hand so bad if you dare test out the pressure. Yet it can't take off all that grime still on the car. But if you swipe your finger ever so gently it comes right off. WTF??? How can a gentle finger take off what a super strong pressure washer can't?? Maybe mine isn't strong enough. Anyways, I don't use the pressure washer all that often anymore. Okay my rant is finished.
Panda, very clean car you have there!
thanks for the compliments

Wouldn't it be nice if the pressure washer can do it all in one quick step like in some of the youtube videos.

That being said do you use a foam cannon? I just use the pressure washer to loosen up any stubborn contaminants like the grime you speak of. And I use the Foam Cannon to loosen more of the contaminants and create lubricate the surface. Then after rinsing I just use my rinseless wash to get the grime off. At that point the grime and contaminants is loosened enough that it hardly takes any pressure when using my wash mitt.

That's why if the car isn't too dirty I'll skip the pressure washing/ foaming step and stick with either my rinseless or waterless wash to save water.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:35 PM   #26
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
I need to look into those sealants that last 2 or 3 years that are supposedly dirt repealing and hydrophobic.

http://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-paint-sealant.html

or

http://www.chemicalguys.com/SS6_Seco...wac_224_02.htm

I've heard with these types you can just pressure wash, foam cannon, then rinse with DI water and you are done.

However I think there is a special technique to apply it...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:52 PM   #27
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
I need to look into those sealants that last 2 or 3 years that are supposedly dirt repealing and hydrophobic.

http://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-paint-sealant.html

or

http://www.chemicalguys.com/SS6_Seco...wac_224_02.htm

I've heard with these types you can just pressure wash, foam cannon, then rinse with DI water and you are done.

However I think there is a special technique to apply it...
don't touch the chemical guy's product. cquartz is great and definitely get it installed by an authorized detailer to minimize user error.

you still want to wash the car, but if you have access to di water then yes it will make your life a lot easier for quick clean ups.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:54 PM   #28
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Still, I'm doubtful you can ever get away with not touching the paint with a wash mitt. And are you ever worried that the pressure washer may press dirt particles against the paint and cause really tiny scratches? And do you mean you didn't touch your car for that 6 months? Only pressure wash, then blow dry I'm assuming?
only pressure washer and spot free water for those 6 months. like i said it was about 80-90% clean with the spray wax on there. it was good enough for me at the time.

the pressure washer pushing dirt particles into your paint is a little extreme. i guess it could happen, but it's highly unlikely or near impossible to see.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #29
SVH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i & 2011-e93 TT

Everyone should be aware that too high a pressure can peel paint if your not careful! Don't put the nozzle to close to the car body, especially those with pressure washers with 2,000+ PSI.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #30
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Screw pressure washers did my driveway, patio, shed and entryway of house today.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 09:37 PM   #31
Last NA
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 Mineral White E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVH View Post
Everyone should be aware that too high a pressure can peel paint if your not careful! Don't put the nozzle to close to the car body, especially those with pressure washers with 2,000+ PSI.
So what's the right formula here not to damage paint, fluffiest foam, and remove as much grime off the car without elbow grease (I swear I'm not this lazy, just teying to justify spending couple hundos on a pw)?

- PSI/GPM?
- Which foam cannon?
- Carwash soap?
- Method (distance, angle, ect.)?

I think Mew is right though, mitt is required to complete the wash.

Current: 2011 Mineral White M3 ZCP, 2009.5 Alpine White X5 M Sport, 2014 Diamond White Honda Odyssey Touring Elite (Family Fun), 2004 Honda Accord V6 (My Daily)
Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Carbon Black M3, 2007 Alpine White 335i, 2009 BMW 550i, 2003.5 Carbon Black M3, 2002 BMW 330i
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2016, 01:00 AM   #32
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVH View Post
So what's the right formula here not to damage paint, fluffiest foam, and remove as much grime off the car without elbow grease (I swear I'm not this lazy, just teying to justify spending couple hundos on a pw)?

- PSI/GPM?
- Which foam cannon?
- Carwash soap?
- Method (distance, angle, ect.)?

I think Mew is right though, mitt is required to complete the wash.
First you need to decide... Gas vs electric.
- gas will have higher pressures so it will make the fluffiest foam
- electric is quieter, better for the environment, easier to use, and the higher end models will do 2000 psi which isn't bad

As far as the foam cannon... Splurge a little and get an MTM cannon... If you get electric make sure you get the MTM specific for electric... I have a link a few posts up

Soap it's your preference

Finish things off with either a traditional two bucket wash or a two bucket rinseless wash like optimum no rinse wash (so you save even more water on top of the 80% less water that the power wash uses)
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #33
Last NA
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 Mineral White E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
First you need to decide... Gas vs electric.
- gas will have higher pressures so it will make the fluffiest foam
- electric is quieter, better for the environment, easier to use, and the higher end models will do 2000 psi which isn't bad

As far as the foam cannon... Splurge a little and get an MTM cannon... If you get electric make sure you get the MTM specific for electric... I have a link a few posts up

Soap it's your preference

Finish things off with either a traditional two bucket wash or a two bucket rinseless wash like optimum no rinse wash (so you save even more water on top of the 80% less water that the power wash uses)
Thank you, this is why I always loved Pandas.

Current: 2011 Mineral White M3 ZCP, 2009.5 Alpine White X5 M Sport, 2014 Diamond White Honda Odyssey Touring Elite (Family Fun), 2004 Honda Accord V6 (My Daily)
Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Carbon Black M3, 2007 Alpine White 335i, 2009 BMW 550i, 2003.5 Carbon Black M3, 2002 BMW 330i
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 04:59 PM   #34
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Well hello there.
Attached Images

03-30-2019, 11:18 PM   #35
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

I have a Subaru 3100 powerwasher from Powerstroke, bought it from Costco. Use the recommended head and stand far back from the car. I use to do a quick rinse off the car, then foam gun + rinse. Then the usual scrub with lamb wool, final rinse and power air dry.
Follow these steps and you'll never have issues. I've been doing this for the past 12 years with my E90 3 series and the paint/clear has never had an issue.
      03-30-2019, 11:27 PM   #36
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

my costco honda washer was super loud and turning it on/off got annoying. the last straw as it started leaking oil. took it back.
      03-30-2019, 11:31 PM   #37
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
my costco honda washer was super loud and turning it on/off got annoying. the last straw as it started leaking oil. took it back.
gotta keep the costco warranty handy and get a new one when it starts leaking oil, its the pump that always fails on these Chinese (Robin) made power washers.
      03-31-2019, 03:56 AM   #38
pcohen15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, Singapore Gray

Quote:
Well hello there.
And ... ? How do you like the Kranzle? I had just posted in M5 forum an almost identical post to your thread starter here. Love to know your impression and which foam cannon you bought and why.
      03-31-2019, 05:33 AM   #39
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcohen15 View Post
And ... ? How do you like the Kranzle? I had just posted in M5 forum an almost identical post to your thread starter here. Love to know your impression and which foam cannon you bought and why.
haven't hooked it up yet. i moved last week and i'm still trying to get the garage squared away.
this is the model i got with the auto start/stop. its a stupid amount of money, and i'm almost embarrassed to tell people who don't know when they ask.
https://www.obsessedgarage.com/colle...=8096938983516

i want to mount the setup on the garage door side of my garage... so i ordered a horizontal hose mount and i'm just going to convert it to run the pressure washer hose.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
i watch the obsessed garage youtube channel. at first, i thought kranzle was a bit overpriced and didn't really understand it. pressure is pressure, right? once i got ahold of a gas washer and had to set a choke, pull cord, and listen to this thing... it was so damn loud i considered wearing earplugs. then, i had to turn it off after foaming the car to scrub. then, pull cord again. oops, the washer cooled, and i have to set the choke again. pull cord again- BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR (gotta listen to it again). sounds kinda dumb, but the noise takes away from the therapy of washing the car.
so i watch a video on this particular kranzle- its electric and makes minimal noise, less maintenance, and turns on and off as i pull the trigger on the wash gun. what a concept! so simple, but so convenient. i'm a sucker for efficiency and things that just work like they should.

i got this hose a while back and it is 100% worth every penny.
https://www.powerequipmentdirect.com...24/p83064.html
it has something in it that resists twisting, so it doesn't get tangled. i didn't understand the expensive hose until i washed with the shit hose these things come with. my 20' hose turned into a 4' knot by the time i was done. just garbage.

i went with an adam's polishes foamer and snub gun. they had a 20% off sale and i liked that it was mostly metal. good reviews and such, so i just pulled the trigger. i have been very happy with it. still trying to figure out soap to water ratios and settings, but thats my own fault. there are a few vids on my instagram of me foaming the car with it. the dials are smooth and precise. i can tell its going to last for a long time.
https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exter...ose-combo.html

the quick disconnects sold on the OG website are also top notch and don't leak. great stuff.

Last edited by roastbeef; 03-31-2019 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 01:09 PM   #40
pcohen15
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
haven't hooked it up yet. i moved last week and i'm still trying to get the garage squared away.
this is the model i got with the auto start/stop. its a stupid amount of money, and i'm almost embarrassed to tell people who don't know when they ask.

i want to mount the setup on the garage door side of my garage... so i ordered a horizontal hose mount and i'm just going to convert it to run the pressure washer hose.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1
i watch the obsessed garage youtube channel. at first, i thought kranzle was a bit overpriced and didn't really understand it. pressure is pressure, right? once i got ahold of a gas washer and had to set a choke, pull cord, and listen to this thing... it was so damn loud i considered wearing earplugs. then, i had to turn it off after foaming the car to scrub. then, pull cord again. oops, the washer cooled, and i have to set the choke again. pull cord again- BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR (gotta listen to it again). sounds kinda dumb, but the noise takes away from the therapy of washing the car.
so i watch a video on this particular kranzle- its electric and makes minimal noise, less maintenance, and turns on and off as i pull the trigger on the wash gun. what a concept! so simple, but so convenient. i'm a sucker for efficiency and things that just work like they should.

it has something in it that resists twisting, so it doesn't get tangled. i didn't understand the expensive hose until i washed with the shit hose these things come with. my 20' hose turned into a 4' knot by the time i was done. just garbage.

i went with an adam's polishes foamer and snub gun. they had a 20% off sale and i liked that it was mostly metal. good reviews and such, so i just pulled the trigger. i have been very happy with it. still trying to figure out soap to water ratios and settings, but thats my own fault. there are a few vids on my instagram of me foaming the car with it. the dials are smooth and precise. i can tell its going to last for a long time.

the quick disconnects sold on the OG website are also top notch and don't leak. great stuff.
Thank you so much for the very detailed description of your journey. I went back and read your initial post to see that you missed your target price by only a few dollars.

I won't buy the same items, but share some of the same objectives, so your learnings and comments will be helpful, for sure.

Good luck getting it all together and having the results you want. I'm sure it will be incredible.

Peter
      03-31-2019, 01:10 PM   #41
pcohen15
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1

Thank you so much for the very detailed description of your journey. I went back and read your initial post to see that you missed your target price by only a few dollars.

I won't buy the same items, but share some of the same objectives, so your learnings and comments will be helpful, for sure.

Good luck getting it all together and having the results you want. I'm sure it will be incredible.

Peter
      04-07-2019, 07:50 PM   #42
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Still a work in progress, but it's coming along.
Attached Images

pcohen15379.50
admranger2981.50
      04-07-2019, 10:40 PM   #43
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Still a work in progress, but it's coming along.
Nice setup...

I originally was piecing together an OG Kranzle setup when I decided to get a Comet.

But I've got it setup similar to yours. That Kranzle is much nicer!!!

Attached Images

Appreciate 3
roastbeef11571.50
pcohen15379.50
admranger2981.50
      04-08-2019, 08:36 PM   #44
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Garage tool pron. Nice!

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11571.50