BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

08-08-2019, 08:50 PM   #1
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

Unhappy Dealer Spark Plugs change. Did they mess up the Camshaft Position Sensor?

Hello people.

2010 E92 M3 DCT, 35,000miles.

I took my car in for a service at the dealer:
- spark plugs
- oil service
- differential
- brake fluid
- statutory checks (UK MOT equiv. TüV)
When I got the car back, I've got a Check engine light (CEL), I used the Carly app to read the code and it says - 2717 Camshaft Sensor outlet Bank 1.

QUESTIONS
- Is it a coincident? Bad luck.

- Did they break something / not connect properly / nudged it when doing the spark
plugs? (see below)

- Or is it possible I haven't driven the car for 7 months and it's broken whilst parked up for so long?

Thanks for all the help.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Reason for doubt, it's right next to the plugs. (click for full size)

08-08-2019, 09:52 PM   #2
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

if the check engine light came on when u picked up from the dealer bring it right back to them and express your frustrations....
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 10:13 PM   #3
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Unless the plug came loose there’s no way for a spark plug change to damage a cam sensor. The outlet sensor is the one on the outsides and it’s exactly that a sensor that reads a signal not much of a way to unintentionally damage it and they do go bad so it’s not uncommon. The OEM ones aren’t expensive and take about 15min to replace
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 10:24 PM   #4
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Your best bet is to take the cover off and see if you see any physical damage to the sensor. If you do, then you have proof to go back there with.

Otherwise it is probably unrelated and perhaps because the car sat for a while.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 06:09 AM   #5
M_Chronos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

To clarify, you started the car at the dealer and got a CEL either right then or on the way home?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 01:06 PM   #6
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapster37 View Post
if the check engine light came on when u picked up from the dealer bring it right back to them and express your frustrations....
I made a complaint to the service advisor. We agreed to have a look if it will clear itself over the weekend. I doubt it. But maybe it will. Sometimes electrical are weird. But really I want to do bit more research or go in and see if there's any damage before I hand it back at them. They could easily just say the sensor is broken, but not admit they damaged anything. I don't want to give them the upper hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
Unless the plug came loose there’s no way for a spark plug change to damage a cam sensor. The outlet sensor is the one on the outsides and it’s exactly that a sensor that reads a signal not much of a way to unintentionally damage it and they do go bad so it’s not uncommon. The OEM ones aren’t expensive and take about 15min to replace
Just seems odd that it's quite close to the spark plug location, so I thought maybe there's a slight chance the tech might have damaged it. But I wanted your guys opinion if that's a likely scenario. I will try and take a look at myself however. I didn't know if it was a common or easy fix until this moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Your best bet is to take the cover off and see if you see any physical damage to the sensor. If you do, then you have proof to go back there with.

Otherwise it is probably unrelated and perhaps because the car sat for a while.
I'm hoping it's not too difficult to get to. I read that you just need to move the reservoir out the way and the cover just pops off? Or is it possible to remove the cover without undoing the reservoir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Chronos View Post
To clarify, you started the car at the dealer and got a CEL either right then or on the way home?
I got the car back, started on the court and the light was there. To be honest, they did tell me that "oh there's a CEL that just came on at the end of the day after we done all the work and valet etc. We did try and clear it and seems fine. " right when I was about to leave.

But when I started the car, the light came on. I did my own scan and tried clearing without success. So I went back in and told them about it.

I made sure the service advisor who looked after my car knew that I made a complaint. I wanted to find out a bit more (thanks to you guys) before I went back to challenge them, hopefully with evidence of some damage to the plug, sensor or the cable itself.

Otherwise I will accept it just went bang because of age or left for too long (common fault?); or attempt to replace myself if I can get to it.
      08-12-2019, 09:41 PM   #7
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Just a small update if you're interested on the day.

08-16-2019, 08:44 PM   #8
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

I am planning a plug change in the next 4 months, mind sharing how much that cost at the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 09:25 PM   #9
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
I am planning a plug change in the next 4 months, mind sharing how much that cost at the dealer?
Hi there, here in the UK at the dealer it would cost:

spark plugs - £237.34 / ~291USD equiv.

UPDATE!
So I finally went ahead and figured out what the issue was!

09-03-2019, 06:38 AM   #10
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
There's no reason you should pay what the dealer wants to do plug changes. It takes about 2 hours and is an easy DIY. Save your money and do it yourself and then spend the savings on some cool mods.
Appreciate 0