BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
///M3Power
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

3M film and cut question

I just got a 09 with 3M installed @ the dealership but I'm not sure if its installed right. On the hood near the corners and the edge the film does not cover the edges. Is the film suppose to roll over and cover the edges? I've already got a small chip in the area that it doesn't cover and I'm pretty pissed.

And the mirror doesn't cover the bottm?

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
I dont know about 3M but I have Venture Shield custom kit on my hood and it does wrap over the edges. Im not sure if the pre-cut kit actually wrap over.

Anyway, my mirrors are not covered on the bottom too.

Maybe some people with 3M can tell you more about theirs.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Mine is pretty much like yours... it does not wrap around the edges. However, it looks like mine was installed a little closer to the edges than yours. The 3M material goes right up to where the edge starts curving away. Mine also does not cover all the way under the mirrors. Looks like they are standard precut kits.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
jbeene
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 435i GC

Mine does roll over the front edge, what's the point of not having it on the part of the hood that is most susceptible to damage from a stone?

I'd be po'd too. At least its a light color though so not as noticeable as it would be on a black car.
      11-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Take it back and tell them to do it properly, that's not on!

Poor workmanship.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #6
JMD0977
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 GT3 and ....

I got 3M and it goes over and under everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Seriously that is where you get them the most.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

There are two kinds of clear bra install: bulk film custom design or pre-cut kits.

Within pre-cut kits, some kits wrap around, some don't. 3M only makes the film, not the cut (aka design). So with the same film different people may have different types of cuts.

Looks like you have the cut that does not wrap around, but the gap is still too big from the edge.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 11:01 PM   #9
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

I have ventureshield. It doesn't wrap over the edges, but it comes closer to the edges than yours. I chose not to put the film over my mirrors, however from looking at the cut, mine wouldn't have covered the bottom either.
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 01:36 AM   #10
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

pre cut kit - may or may not cover depending on the installer. cutsom install FTMFW!!!!!
      11-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #11
///M3Power
Enlisted Member
Rep

K, I'm gonna redo the whole thing custom!

Anyone know a good shop in VA/MD/DC?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #12
boynbeagle7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E92 M3

You may want to cover the side skirts as well if they were not covered earlier; they are prone to damage too.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #13
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
I have 3M installed and the edges are wrapped. They most likely used a pre cut kit and that is just lazy.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #14
///M3Power
Enlisted Member
Rep

I see a lot of good reviews on ventureshield, is this a better choice than 3M?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #15
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Power View Post
I see a lot of good reviews on ventureshield, is this a better choice than 3M?
Hey ///M3Power,

By the looks of it your hood is wrapped in a pre cut kit. This is not a bad thing, it's just that the installer should have gone a little closer to the edge. Another member was right when they said that that lip is where most chips happen. So I'd get it redone. One thing you didn't mention is if the hood is a full hood wrap. Is it full hood or half hood?

I got my car done a month ago when I got it and this is the experience I had.

First off, I went with 3M because it has a clear coat built into the actual film. Unlike Venture shield and other popular brands, 3M is easiest to detail and maintain because the clear coat enables you to wax your car and use cleaning solutions to remove things like road tar and bugs.

Another thing about the veture shield is that it is a little sensitive to the touch and can actually leave hair line scratches if you press on it too hard or rub your finger accross it with some pressure.

The one draw back that 3M has is that the standard film which is their largest roll, is only available in 48", whereas venture shield is available in 54". This makes installing a custom venture shield wrap easier than 3M because there is no stretching involved to cover the hood. This does not mean that you can't have 3M on your hood.

I have a full hood wrap and it covers the whole hood, and wraps both underneath and at the top of the hood with no stretching. There is one drawback however. You will see two lines at the very top of your hood close to the hinges where the film cannot be stretched. The installers tried to stretch it the first time and there were major stretch marks on the hood. I got it redone and they couldn't stretch it all the way leaving about 3 inches at the top of the hood exposed. I actually got them to patch it so that there is no exposed pieces and you can't even tell.

As well, I got the door handle cups, rockers and rear dog legs (areas before and after the rear wheel arch) covered as these areas tend to see a lot of abuse as well.

To answer your question if venture shield is better than 3M, I'd say they both have their advantages and disadvantages. Like I said before, for me 3M was the better choice because I didn't want a product that was too sensitive that would show scratches easily. Yet, I do see those two little lines where the films meet. It's really up to you.

Below is a picture of my hood, they're really not very noticable but the coverage is amazing.

Cheers and good luck!
Attached Images

MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #16
///M3Power
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
Hey ///M3Power,

I got my car done a month ago when I got it and this is the experience I had.

First off, I went with 3M because it has a clear coat built into the actual film. Unlike Venture shield and other popular brands, 3M is easiest to detail and maintain because the clear coat enables you to wax your car and use cleaning solutions to remove things like road tar and bugs.

Another thing about the veture shield is that it is a little sensitive to the touch and can actually leave hair line scratches if you press on it too hard or rub your finger accross it with some pressure.

The one draw back that 3M has is that the standard film which is their largest roll, is only available in 48", whereas venture shield is available in 54". This makes installing a custom venture shield wrap easier than 3M because there is no stretching involved to cover the hood. This does not mean that you can't have 3M on your hood.

I have a full hood wrap and it covers the whole hood, and wraps both underneath and at the top of the hood with no stretching. There is one drawback however. You will see two lines at the very top of your hood close to the hinges where the film cannot be stretched. The installers tried to stretch it the first time and there were major stretch marks on the hood. I got it redone and they couldn't stretch it all the way leaving about 3 inches at the top of the hood exposed. I actually got them to patch it so that there is no exposed pieces and you can't even tell.

As well, I got the door handle cups, rockers and rear dog legs (areas before and after the rear wheel arch) covered as these areas tend to see a lot of abuse as well.

To answer your question if venture shield is better than 3M, I'd say they both have their advantages and disadvantages. Like I said before, for me 3M was the better choice because I didn't want a product that was too sensitive that would show scratches easily. Yet, I do see those two little lines where the films meet. It's really up to you.

Below is a picture of my hood, they're really not very noticable but the coverage is amazing.

Cheers and good luck!
My hood is not fully wrapped.

I have double checked with Venture shield and they say that theirs also has a clear coat, its not as thick as 3M and therefore why its easier to apply. But they said I could use Wax regularly as I would with the rest of the car.

I'm talking about 5 of these companies, the 3M ones say that the venture shield turns yellow over time, and the same is said by venture shield.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #17
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Power View Post
My hood is not fully wrapped.

I have double checked with Venture shield and they say that theirs also has a clear coat, its not as thick as 3M and therefore why its easier to apply. But they said I could use Wax regularly as I would with the rest of the car.

I'm talking about 5 of these companies, the 3M ones say that the venture shield turns yellow over time, and the same is said by venture shield.
I would recommend getting a sample of each and doing a key pressure test with it. Try puncturing the samples of film with a key and go with the stronger one. That will show you how well it will perform on your hood against rocks flying at your car at 100mph.

Either way, you just want something that will protect your car from nasty chips.

Cheers!
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #18
///M3Power
Enlisted Member
Rep

K, well I talked to two of the best installers in my area (basically called about 10 places), Matt and Skip both use only 3M and took their time to explain in detail why its better and I trust them.
Appreciate 0