BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-12-2009, 04:22 AM   #353
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jworms View Post

back on topic...i hear the GTS is rumored to have run a 7:40 'ring laptime, with one person mentioning 7:38. ruh roh.
Seriously guys, talking about potential lap times at the moment is a bit permature unless you are talking about rumoured times that haven't been confirmed.

All that can be said about the GTS is it will be seriously quick.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 07:12 AM   #354
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

M3 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Seriously guys, talking about potential lap times at the moment is a bit permature unless you are talking about rumoured times that haven't been confirmed.

All that can be said about the GTS is it will be seriously quick.
I Guesswe have to wait till spring of 2010 to see this car tested and find out what kind of lap times this thing can produce.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 07:49 AM   #355
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

seriously shift@red, you don't think the gts can do 7:40 on the ring? BMW specifically stated that this is a gt3 competitor, so I'm 100% confident that it can do this time in order to compete with the gt3.

BMW is not stupid for putting all this effort in a hardcore track car like the gts and can't even do 7:40 or better. No one in their right mind would say something that they can't achieve especially coming from a company like BMW. What benefit do they get for lying with such limit number of car produce? I mean as soon as a mag get hold of it and found that they lying, what gonna happen? Only stupid people would do that right?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #356
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
seriously shift@red, you don't think the gts can do 7:40 on the ring? BMW specifically stated that this is a gt3 competitor, so I'm 100% confident that it can do this time in order to compete with the gt3.

BMW is not stupid for putting all this effort in a hardcore track car like the gts and can't even do 7:40 or better. No one in their right mind would say something that they can't achieve especially coming from a company like BMW. What benefit do they get for lying with such limit number of car produce? I mean as soon as a mag get hold of it and found that they lying, what gonna happen? Only stupid people would do that right?
A friend of a friends friend told another friends friend that the GTS turned a 7.35,but he cant remember who told him this
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 08:59 AM   #357
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post

I'm also confident that it's truly a competitor for the GT3, but don't know which model they are trying to compete with (GT3 or GT3RS?). There is little doubt that it will be easier to control around the limit, it's weight distribution will see to that, but if it's weight and output is correct and not on the conservative side then it will struggle in comparison on the really fast parts of the ring. Now if it gets tested and actually out accelerates the suggestions that swamp gave the car then the time is do-able.

Either way it will be close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s
A friend of a friends friend told another friends friend that the GTS turned a 7.35,but he cant remember who told him this
He heard it from my mate, you know his name ........... whatgemecallit.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #358
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
Keep on topic here no speculations until this car is available from BMW and has been tested by Sport Auto and full specifications are released. Ok
Speculation is 90% of m3post.com... What you are asking for is unrealistic and impossible. Perhaps I don't really understand your statement. However, I do understand that the GT3 vs. GTS topic should be taken to another thread.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #359
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

All the CSL vs 996 GT3 talk has been moved to this thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321310 Let's get back on topic here.

BTW: Some say they saw GTS testcars being even faster than 7:40 on the Ring...

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #360
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
All the CSL vs 996 GT3 talk has been moved to this thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321310 Let's get back on topic here.

Best regards,
south

Thank you for taking the time to clean that mess up.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #361
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

HMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Speculation is 90% of m3post.com... What you are asking for is unrealistic and impossible. Perhaps I don't really understand your statement. However, I do understand that the GT3 vs. GTS topic should be taken to another thread.
If you would have read the rest of my posts you would understand. I would like to thank the moderator for cleaning up the Gt3 CSL distraction.

I like hard facts speculation and rumors are bad for morale!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #362
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post

Best regards,
south
7:40 is doable ....... JUST about with the quoted spec, but even better sounds like my estimates of 460+hp might indeed be true after all.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #363
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

Quote:
7:40 is doable ....... JUST about with the quoted spec, but even better sounds like my estimates of 460+hp might indeed be true after all.
you can speculate if you want. fine we all do it. But please keep your self gratification offline.
also bumping another self gratifier contact of yours falls in the same category. you guys can do that on PM all day long if you like. but don't pollute threads.
thread
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #364
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
BMW did its part. They gauged interest in America for a hardcore M3. Like it says, the dealerships did not respond positively and instead want more SAVs.
Maybe the requisite acronym is SFAVs?

Sybaritic Fat Arsed Vehicles.

It's a commercial decision, so be it. If willing consumers pay for X5M & X6Ms that are profitable enough to indulgently subsidize M3 GTSs and future M3 R&D then I look forward to the goodies that the SFAVs subsidize.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #365
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post

It's a commercial decision, so be it. If willing consumers pay for X5M & X6Ms that are profitable enough to indulgently subsidize M3 GTSs and future M3 R&D then I look forward to the goodies that the SFAVs subsidize.

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #366
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meevo View Post
Deutschland only.

///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #367
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechipper View Post
Boring

I enjoyed the second GTS video much much more.
I respectfully disagree. I'll take a vid of Walter Röhrl doing his honest, and skilled work (he makes it appear 'boring' for he's that good) over the contrived cuts and slow mo' to fast-motions of the official promo M3 GTS video.

For great promo of the GTS I'll take this raw & unvarnished:

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #368
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

GTS sounds soooo good
      11-13-2009, 12:13 AM   #369
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
I like hard facts speculation and rumors are bad for morale!
I will respectfully disagree (still). When facts were really thin on the current M3 (way back in the good ol days of M3post.com). All we did was speculate. There is certainly good speculation vs. poor speculation. Good speculation is based on modeling, extrapolation, common sense, trends, etc. However, at that point I guess you might call it a hypothesis or educated guess. Poor speculation is nothing more than a bad guess. We all like facts but speculation is fun and useful and is a huge part of this forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 12:19 AM   #370
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneginee View Post
you can speculate if you want. fine we all do it. But please keep your self gratification offline.
also bumping another self gratifier contact of yours falls in the same category. you guys can do that on PM all day long if you like. but don't pollute threads.
thread
WTH are you rambling on about footie's comment? Your second sentence does not even make sense. His post is on topic, appropriate and probably a very accurate estimate. Perhaps it is something he or others have already stated but so what. Recall that the language on the power has been things like "around", "at least" or "more than", etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #371
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
thread
What exactly is the problem? Savage brought up the 7:40 an GTS is supposed to lap the Ring in. Though, it seems to be even more capable. What's not to like about this little piece of information, even if it's a rumor?

Besides, it might not be clear at the first glimpse, but Footie is far from self-gratifying here, it's just more comfy to him when he says 'that's in line with my estimation' rather than saying 'that's what my sources told me'. Try to read between the lines a little more.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #372
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post

Some time ago, you and many others were critical of my criticism of the creature comforts and excessive weight of the the E90X M3, so I would of guessed you all would of rejoiced over the introduction of the M Division's latest track icon, the X6, rather than heap praise on a bare bones track oriented GTS.

Love the GTS, but if it is not produced in sufficient numbers and is not coming to the U.S., then it is simply another marketing ploy for BMW. Porsche is willing spend the money to bring U.S. reg limited production high performance track oriented cars to the U.S., but BMW can't even muster the CSL or GTS to these forbidden shores. What does that tell you about the commitment to Motorsport and the difference in brand panache between Porsche and BMW in regards to their ability to produce and sell high performance cars for profit...I think, quite a lot.

I am a big fan of the 335d. Would make the perfect stable mate to the Cayman S, though I personally would prefer 330d for it's incredible efficiency, but as you know, not available in the U.S.
      11-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #373
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
thread
Sorry that you misunderstood my comments. It's not self gratification but a realisation that what I have been told appears to be bearing fruit.

You see it's very simple to understand, 4.4L should yield 462hp with nothing else changed and from experience the engine in race form will probably develop it's 450hp through the use of a restrictor, meaning they will comfortable be developing a lot more without this. Now I'm not saying that this is the case with the GTS but if it is then it's highly likely that 460+hp is probable.

I understand that some here may hate others knowing more than they but at least us with the info do pass it on instead of keeping quiet.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #374
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Quote:
Sorry that you misunderstood my comments. It's not self gratification but a realisation that what I have been told appears to be bearing fruit.

You see it's very simple to understand, 4.4L should yield 462hp with nothing else changed and from experience the engine in race form will probably develop it's 450hp through the use of a restrictor, meaning they will comfortable be developing a lot more without this. Now I'm not saying that this is the case with the GTS but if it is then it's highly likely that 460+hp is probable.

I understand that some here may hate others knowing more than they but at least us with the info do pass it on instead of keeping quiet.
It is idiotic to be upset with others who possess more information than themselves. It only benefits and fuels rumor infested forums such as this. Though I find it ironic that those boasting about possessing info, won't come clean and reference to whom they are beholden to.