BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

01-31-2023, 02:52 PM   #1
Blkfox1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Active Autowerke Supercharger E9x M3

Hey all,

Long time reader and I don't post too often. I am currently debating a purchase of an e92 M3 with an active autowerke stage 2 level 2 supercharger installed. For background, I previously owned an e92 M3 but it was never supercharged. The reason im posting is because I cannot seem to find many threads or discussions on the active autowerke superchargers. I know there is tons of info about ESS and VF superchargers, but I cant find much on the AA superchargers. Does anyone on this forum currently run or have experience with an AA supercharger? Im just curious to hear opinions and thoughts if anyone has any! And i dont mean to turn this thread into which is the best supercharger for the e9x, just want to hear AA supercharger experiences!

Thanks!
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2023, 04:20 PM   #2
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Buddy has a AA supercharged car and he loves it. The car runs well and pulls hard.

AA makes great kits. I've personally done installations on all of the superchargers and love their design. I'm currently running an ESS kit myself.

One big plus of the AA kit is the air to air cooling.
      01-31-2023, 08:50 PM   #3
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkfox1 View Post
Hey all, Long time reader and I don't post too often. I am currently debating a purchase of an e92 M3 with an active autowerke stage 2 level 2 supercharger installed. For background, I previously owned an e92 M3 but it was never supercharged. The reason im posting is because I cannot seem to find many threads or discussions on the active autowerke superchargers. I know there is tons of info about ESS and VF superchargers, but I cant find much on the AA superchargers. Does anyone on this forum currently run or have experience with an AA supercharger? Im just curious to hear opinions and thoughts if anyone has any! And i don't mean to turn this thread into which is the best supercharger for the e9x, just want to hear AA supercharger experiences! Thanks!
See the Active Aerowerks Supercharger review at link below:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...73&postcount=1
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 04:01 PM   #4
MiamiE93Vert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Convertible

I have the AA stage 2 level 2 on my E93, love it. Gives the car more torque on the full band and is not intrusive if the NA sound of the engine, even with the top down, which was important for me as it is my daily driver stuck in traffic often. Going on 1.5 years and still love it. Some points though:
- you will need to learn to drive a little differently as hard pulls will require paddle shifts; I get lazy with the DCT but you can’t going hard.
- the superchargers are heavier up front so I am lower than I was before. I don’t think you can practically lower the car much in front With the added weight.
- the car runs hot, especially in FL, so I upgraded all the coolers. It helps with cooling issues.
- it’s hard to keep within reasonable speed limits as the car really wants to run. Track days help!
- I still have the Evolve valve exhaust and with the supercharger the sound open and closed is intoxicating.

If you have the means give it a go.

AA Pulley, Air Filter and Tune - Full Evolve Valvetronic Exhaust - 380/355 Stoptech BBK, BBS FI's and other fun stuff.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      02-01-2023, 08:53 PM   #5
Blkfox1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiE93Vert View Post
I have the AA stage 2 level 2 on my E93, love it. Gives the car more torque on the full band and is not intrusive if the NA sound of the engine, even with the top down, which was important for me as it is my daily driver stuck in traffic often. Going on 1.5 years and still love it. Some points though:
- you will need to learn to drive a little differently as hard pulls will require paddle shifts; I get lazy with the DCT but you can’t going hard.
- the superchargers are heavier up front so I am lower than I was before. I don’t think you can practically lower the car much in front With the added weight.
- the car runs hot, especially in FL, so I upgraded all the coolers. It helps with cooling issues.
- it’s hard to keep within reasonable speed limits as the car really wants to run. Track days help!
- I still have the Evolve valve exhaust and with the supercharger the sound open and closed is intoxicating.

If you have the means give it a go.
So I drove the car today and a few thoughts. The steering felt very vague compared to my last e92 M3, im not sure if the supercharger would effect that, regardless im going to get a PPI done just to make sure everything is okay. Regarding the power, the sellers car I drove had essentially bald tires. I would get to 2nd gear around 5500 rpms and go full throttle to do a pull and it seemed like the car barley would even move. All that happened was the tires would spin and suddenly start swaying side to side, no sensation of it actually pulling forward at all. Im sure this has to be due to essentially bald tires and not that the supercharger kit doesn't pull correct? It almost felt slower than stock from all the apparent wheel spin...
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      02-02-2023, 08:27 AM   #6
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkfox1 View Post
So I drove the car today and a few thoughts. The steering felt very vague compared to my last e92 M3, im not sure if the supercharger would effect that, regardless im going to get a PPI done just to make sure everything is okay. Regarding the power, the sellers car I drove had essentially bald tires. I would get to 2nd gear around 5500 rpms and go full throttle to do a pull and it seemed like the car barley would even move. All that happened was the tires would spin and suddenly start swaying side to side, no sensation of it actually pulling forward at all. Im sure this has to be due to essentially bald tires and not that the supercharger kit doesn't pull correct? It almost felt slower than stock from all the apparent wheel spin...
How many miles on the car? My e90 had vague or sloppy steering feel when I bought it at 98k miles. The bpm servotronic software changes improved matters, then replacing the control arms (all of them, but you can go cheaper and be strategic with the ones you replace) really tightened things up and I’ve no complaints.

Echo your observation that wheel spin on a FI car can paradoxically reduce speed compared to NA. Some of it is probably tires, maybe tire width, worn subframe bushings, and my experience is it takes a while to learn to manage the torque as the driver to get the most out of the car. But once optimized you should see the difference. For me and my skillset and driving style, where my setup really shines is at-speed velocity changes in canyons and mountain highways. I can pass like a beast and have to be wary that those remaining in the lane won’t expect me to be there should they decide to pass themselves.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      02-02-2023, 10:40 AM   #7
Blkfox1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post
How many miles on the car? My e90 had vague or sloppy steering feel when I bought it at 98k miles. The bpm servotronic software changes improved matters, then replacing the control arms (all of them, but you can go cheaper and be strategic with the ones you replace) really tightened things up and I’ve no complaints.

Echo your observation that wheel spin on a FI car can paradoxically reduce speed compared to NA. Some of it is probably tires, maybe tire width, worn subframe bushings, and my experience is it takes a while to learn to manage the torque as the driver to get the most out of the car. But once optimized you should see the difference. For me and my skillset and driving style, where my setup really shines is at-speed velocity changes in canyons and mountain highways. I can pass like a beast and have to be wary that those remaining in the lane won’t expect me to be there should they decide to pass themselves.
There are 61,000 miles on the car, my last one had 72,000 miles and the steering on it felt much better. It could be potential low power steering fluid? Not sure, will have PPI done and report. Although the shop doing the PPI has done all the prior work and has said nothing about any steering issues being of concern.

Understood, I have driven several turbo cars so I understand what you mean about controlling the power. For example, if you were to do a 2nd gear pull at 5500 rpm, would you just spin or does your car hookup and pull? I did notice if I started giving gas at around 3,000rpm it wouldn't pull much at all, but the speed definitely built up.

Side question, what is your current tire setup as I know i need to replace these ones. Im thinking about potentially running 265 front 295 rear.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 11:11 AM   #8
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Centrifugal supercharger makes boost exponentially. Roughly at half peak rpm, you get the square root of peak boost. So not much boost at 4000 rpm and then it increases until it peaks at redline. These engines are already lively from 5500-8500. The centrifugal supercharged version will be an animal in that range.

Fresh sticky summer tires alone would help a lot with traction. Cold weather makes traction worse particularly with summer tires. 255/275 or wider wheels with 265/285 are good choices.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      02-02-2023, 01:19 PM   #9
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
I have the stock comp wheel setup. 245 on the front and 265 in the back. I don't spin my tires doing a hard pull in 2nd or 3rd despite the harrop torque which is really where that kit shines. From first gear for sure I can spin them if not taking care. I might get a brief chirp into second but not to the extent it is impacting my acceleration. 265 on the front I've been advised some end up tearing their fender liner. my car had 295/30s on the rear when i bought it. they were summer tire michelins and were terrible terrible in cold weather - as a summer tire is said to be. so if you are test driving a car in colder weather on summer tires, that may be more the issue than tire width

I don't think your steering observations would be due to low power steering fluid. that wouldn't give you vague or sloppy feel.

Some of this may be centrifugal supercharging on that kit versus NA and the harrop roots type design. but you can alter your throttle response with that power button at the shifter. power on means the throttle will respond more aggressively than power off. you can also go into the software to alter your M button settings along the same line. that may be part of what you're seeing. when I am on a highway going 50mph in 3rd at 3k rpms and I put my foot down, it throws me back into the seat. My memory is similar but less so when I was NA and tuned.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      02-02-2023, 02:23 PM   #10
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

What happened to AA? They were the game for the E36 M3, less so the E46 M3, then with the E92 M3 they got completely outclassed by ESS and just about everyone else.

I used to beam with pride with their Stage II C38 S/C, midpipe and exhaust on my E36. I had their TD-06 20G turbo kit as well. Was all over my bimmerforums signature. Didn't even consider them for the E92 M3. Not enough reviews on this forum.

Poor marketing IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 03:23 PM   #11
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post
I have the stock comp wheel setup. 245 on the front and 265 in the back. I don't spin my tires doing a hard pull in 2nd or 3rd despite the harrop torque which is really where that kit shines. From first gear for sure I can spin them if not taking care. I might get a brief chirp into second but not to the extent it is impacting my acceleration. 265 on the front I've been advised some end up tearing their fender liner. my car had 295/30s on the rear when i bought it. they were summer tire michelins and were terrible terrible in cold weather - as a summer tire is said to be. so if you are test driving a car in colder weather on summer tires, that may be more the issue than tire width

I don't think your steering observations would be due to low power steering fluid. that wouldn't give you vague or sloppy feel.

Some of this may be centrifugal supercharging on that kit versus NA and the harrop roots type design. but you can alter your throttle response with that power button at the shifter. power on means the throttle will respond more aggressively than power off. you can also go into the software to alter your M button settings along the same line. that may be part of what you're seeing. when I am on a highway going 50mph in 3rd at 3k rpms and I put my foot down, it throws me back into the seat. My memory is similar but less so when I was NA and tuned.
My car/experience is a little different.
Fresh PS4s, 305/30/19 rear and 255/
35/19 front.
1st is very difficult to manage and 2nd gear can sneak up on you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9wgv-Jv9d7w

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nnjgU1nWA4I

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 1
Ajolives922.00
      03-03-2023, 06:10 PM   #12
hqlden
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 6MT

You don't happen do be talking about the Melbourne red one for sale at Proper Performance in Scottsdale do you? I see that you're in AZ and I've heard some things about that one. If that's the one you're looking at, let me know and I can share with you what I've found out.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 02:01 AM   #13
sahanMpower
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 S/C STAGE 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisca455 View Post
35/19 front.

how much power u have on ur SC bro? got IG?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 08:39 PM   #14
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

I'm curious if traction may be more related to local road condition. I'm in the same area as Camas, and have a dyno verified 535 WHP with my ESS G1 (about 160 WHP more than FBO cars on the same dyno). 285/35/18 PS4S, 2nd gear rarely has traction issues as long as the road is dry. If I get the tires warm, I can even get them to hook in 1st.

I'm planning a complete overhaul of the suspension this year, so will see how that affects the car in putting everything down
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 05:10 AM   #15
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisca455 View Post
35/19 front.

295s here, I can hook up in 2nd with some finesse.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 1
Davisca4552207.50
      02-11-2024, 12:32 AM   #16
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahanMpower View Post
how much power u have on ur SC bro? got IG?
Never had it on a dyno.
All I know is that when the kit went on the car in 2009 they were advertising +210hp.

Had IG, but Zuckerberg threatened to lock my account if I didn’t upload a copy of my DL to prove my age, so it’s still locked😂

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 0