BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

10-08-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
CjM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Limp Mode when Idle, cleared on engine restart.

Hey all this morning on my way to work I was stuck in traffic idling. Car went into limp mode. I cycled the engine off then on and this cleared the limp mode. I have not been able to pull codes yet. But upon cycling of the engine I no longer have the engine code in my error messages. Doing some research it seems this could be my TA's going out. 08 ~80k mi, Could this be something other than the TA's. Not looking forward to that repair bill.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
schwin
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjM3 View Post
Hey all this morning on my way to work I was stuck in traffic idling. Car went into limp mode. I cycled the engine off then on and this cleared the limp mode. I have not been able to pull codes yet. But upon cycling of the engine I no longer have the engine code in my error messages. Doing some research it seems this could be my TA's going out. 08 ~80k mi, Could this be something other than the TA's. Not looking forward to that repair bill.
It sounds like the notorious TA issue. The best way to find out is get a code reader handy for the next time it happens. I keep a Carly adapter in my car at all times. Mines an 08 and have replaced both TAs. One at 72k and one at 80k. I had gears upgraded before the replacement and they still failed.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      10-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #3
CjM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwin View Post
It sounds like the notorious TA issue. The best way to find out is get a code reader handy for the next time it happens. I keep a Carly adapter in my car at all times. Mines an 08 and have replaced both TAs. One at 72k and one at 80k. I had gears upgraded before the replacement and they still failed.
Bummer thanks
Appreciate 0